Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E04: I Need a Dance Partner

Whimsy
Message added by Whimsy

As a reminder, this is the thread to talk about the latest episode of Survivor.  Any continued talk about the Brown's players, statistics, rankings, etc (I'm not a sport person.  I hope those are the right words) will be removed.  

• Start Topic

On a totally shallow note...as one pale blue-eyed blonde to another, Wentworth, how did you manage to get that tan?   I could be out in the island sun for the next 47 years and just end up a crispy critter.   Your tan has me dazzled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, jay741982 said:

There are lots of Browns fans on the forum ?I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing People who act like it's always so funny to rag on them though. I was just pointing out that they arent the worst team. They are getting better and look like they can be a playoff team next season sheesh. 

If one didn’t notice that the large number of pro-Browns posts in this thread came from a single user, one could get the impression that there are a lot of Browns fans here.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

I don't care for Wendy at all. She's silly, hyper and annoying all the while thinking she's clever and endearing. 

Yeah, if Wendy's big plans before the game were to get rid of chickens she's in serious trouble. I'm not sure how she thought this would gain her friends and votes at the end.

• Love 5

That other hot guy who isn't Chris was so gentle with her about it.  I found that hysterical.  Like he was really mad I think, but it just came out like "Wendy..... you're making this difficult on us....."

The camerapeople were definitely focusing on Wendy's face when the tribe talked about eating the chickens.  You could see that her expressions were kind of going wild, some kind of ticks of some kind.  I have no idea how to talk about this without seeming insensitive.  But I don't think Wendy's a liar and I've seen no evidence of that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Paws said:

Didn’t Wendy say on the first episode that she has Tourette’s? But we haven’t seen any of the behaviors she described ever since the first episode, so now I’m wondering if i heard that wrong and there is something else she is dealing with.  She seems like she wants to rock the boat more than anything. Those chickens were happy in their coop and she forced them out; they weren’t “set free” as much as they were ripped out of a warm place and put into the rain.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There was a fair amount of twitching tonight. But yeah, it does seem like they’re downplaying it for whatever reason.  Maybe it just doesn’t fit in that well with the whole Wacky Wendy narrative.

My completely non-medical opinion, based on something I recall reading or hearing somewhere, is that I think her ticks were really in overdrive that first day because it was all new, her adrenaline was probably going with the excitement, etc.  Now that she's a bit more comfortable in her surroundings I think they've settled down too.  I am pretty sure I read that some form of tourette's (maybe all?) is exasperated by stress.  

4 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I cannot retain most of the new cast's names (I didn't even realize there was a dude named Wardog until the third episode, how can I not remember that name?) which is not that odd because that happens all of the time for me.  But this cast just seems to be lacking something and I cannot put my hand on it.

2 hours ago, green said:

Ditto a thousand times over.  The yellow guys -- now split in two -- are a total blank for me except Aubrey and Joe.

I'm the same.  I thought the couple of "Aurora's" I read here were really a autocorrect of Aubrey for some reason.  Also, I had no idea who the person was that was rifling through Joe's bag. 

36 minutes ago, Gummo said:

I have a sinking feeling this season isn't going to get any better. But of course I'll keep watching (the only seasons I ever stopped watching partway thru were the Russell Hantz seasons -- I don't find pathological sadism entertaining).

Again:  sigh.

I'm with you.  I've watched every season since the episode that Gervase had to eat that ginormous, gross, white wiggly thing.  Except, the ones with Russel Hantz after Samoa.  I will never participate in his continuance of being on my television.  Ever. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Reem's version is-yes, I tried to vote someone else out but was voted out instead so I'm going to hate everyone who voted for me and just forget that I voted for someone else

She's settled any question in my mind about whether she was being helpful or bossy in episode one.  It never occurred to her that everyone wouldn't love her for taking their clothes and ordering them around because she only see things from her own point of view and can't imagine a life not lived for Reem's best interest.  I don't think I've seen as much Survivor vitriol as she spewed on poor shell shocked Chris.  She's had plenty of time to get a little perspective and remember that voting people out is part of the game.  Then, after being so nasty when he first arrived, she's suddenly all friendly when he walks up with the fish, showing just how shameless and fake she  can be. I can't wait for whatever final contest that will send her home.

• Love 23

If Wendy's tribe keeps winning, I could see them throwing an immunity challenge just to get rid of her annoying AF ass.

Reem and Keith might as well raise that mast, they have zero chance of winning.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Lamima said:

I think Wendy has just gotten too cocky and comfortable. She was on chopping block yet survived 3 times so she has an invincible feeling. If they had lost the IC she would have gotten the boot. Gawd, I was hoping for that.

I see it more as she knows she has no chance of winning so she wants to be a big star, get a lot of attention, cause annoyance and harm to others, because behind all the giggles she is a nasty person, and maybe get some Sia money (though I bet even Sia finds her annoying).    Best case is she goes to FTC as a goat, but I don't even see that happening.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I'm the same.  I thought the couple of "Aurora's" I read here were really a autocorrect of Aubrey for some reason.  Also, I had no idea who the person was that was rifling through Joe's bag. 

I'm with you.  I've watched every season since the episode that Gervase had to eat that ginormous, gross, white wiggly thing.  Except, the ones with Russel Hantz after Samoa.  I will never participate in his continuance of being on my television.  Ever. 

LOL Julia is very annoyed that you don't know her. She even tweeted, paraphrasing, that she is not getting air time because she is Black. Never mind that the only people I know from Kama are Joe, Aubrey, Ron and Victoria. And I have to think about Victoria's name. Tonight I learned that there is an Aurora who Joe trusts and we saw her. I have no idea what the name of the black haired dude on Wendy's new tribe is. He seems nice enough, which is probably why I don't know him. He is not stupid enough to have discussed voting out someone with that person next to them, which stands out in my mind. He is not a returning player. He seems to be nice, which probably means boring. He has not complained on twitter about about invisible edit because of his skin color. But I liked that he wasn't an ass about Wendy and just handled her stupidity with a shrug.

There are a bunch of other Kama people who I have no idea who they are.

Part of that is their tribe is winning. The other part is probably because most of them are not exciting TV. Hell, we are not even getting Joe spear fishing glory shots, like we did for Ozzy,  so Joe must be boring them.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

She's settled any question in my mind about whether she was being helpful or bossy in episode one.  It never occurred to her that everyone wouldn't love her for taking their clothes and ordering them around because she only see things from her own point of view and can't imagine a life not lived for Reem's best interest.  I don't think I've seen as much Survivor vitriol as she spewed on poor shell shocked Chris.  She's had plenty of time to get a little perspective and remember that voting people out is part of the game.  Then, after being so nasty when he first arrived, she's suddenly all friendly when he walks up with the fish, showing just how shameless and fake she  can be. I can't wait for whatever final contest that will send her home.

Yeah, I didn't like Reem from the first TC on, and she looks worse on EOE.  She had no reason to be bitter towards Chris.  She screwed up in at least 3 different classic ways that get you booted first (annoying, tight small alliance, messing with people's stuff) and she got voted out. Chris was never her ally, so she has not right to feel betrayed.

The only one she would have a right to be bitter towards is Keith, who wisely abandoned her in episode 1.  But, she loves him.

Keith also seems unduly bitter, though not as bad as Reem and with a bit more justification.  Chris and Rick did lie to him and blindside him, but that is the game, and it is not like they had a tight alliance with them.  He was supposed to be just a number to vote out Wentworth, in the fake or rejected plan.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

If Wendy's tribe keeps winning, I could see them throwing an immunity challenge just to get rid of her annoying AF ass.

I agree about Reem.  Keith might still have a slim chance as he is likable, has a good story and hasn't pissed a bunch of people off.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

I think people are over playing how annoying Wendy is. Yes, people have complained about her and we have seen the flint and chicken stupidity but they got rid of Chris instead of Wendy. If Wendy was that annoying and awful, she would have been gone before Chris. I think we are seeing her more erratic moments and that is about it.

Let's put it this way, outside of the slightly angsty "Who takes the flint?" conversation, no one seemed all that worked up. They had fire without the flint. Hell, she released the chicken and simply got eye rolls from the others.

She isn't Russell or even Kass where people flat out hated her. She isn't Philip or Coach or Crazy Air Force/Spy/Professional Gymnast women with their ridiculous stories and made up resumes. She isn't Abi-Marie with her temper tantrums or Naonka with her crass comments about someones prosthetic leg. She isn't any of the Dan's who have been so objectionable.

David is trying to subtly coach her for gods sake. If she was that awful a person, would David be trying to get her to calm down so she might have a chance to win? So, yeah, her play is awful but she isn't hurting anyone. She is more the hyperactive, impulsive kid in the family that you roll your eyes at and go "Calm the fuck down" then the bully who wants to hurt people or the narcissist that is all about telling you how great they are.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, LanceM said:

My favorite quote of the night:

""If she let the chickens out, I'll eat Big Wendy.""

-Victoria

I can imagine the conversation around the campfire as New Manu eats Big Wendy. 

Gavin, "Does this taste weird to you?"

Victoria, "Mine has sort of a nutty flavor."

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

LOL Julia is very annoyed that you don't know her. She even tweeted, paraphrasing, that she is not getting air time because she is Black. Never mind that the only people I know from Kama are Joe, Aubrey, Ron and Victoria. And I have to think about Victoria's name. Tonight I learned that there is an Aurora who Joe trusts and we saw her. I have no idea what the name of the black haired dude on Wendy's new tribe is. He seems nice enough, which is probably why I don't know him. He is not stupid enough to have discussed voting out someone with that person next to them, which stands out in my mind. He is not a returning player. He seems to be nice, which probably means boring. He has not complained on twitter about about invisible edit because of his skin color. But I liked that he wasn't an ass about Wendy and just handled her stupidity with a shrug.

There are a bunch of other Kama people who I have no idea who they are.

Part of that is their tribe is winning. The other part is probably because most of them are not exciting TV. Hell, we are not even getting Joe spear fishing glory shots, like we did for Ozzy,  so Joe must be boring them.

If I were in charge of production, for the rest of the season, I would pixelate Julia's face and bleep out everything she says, to mess with her for those comments.  :)

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I can imagine the conversation around the campfire as New Manu eats Big Wendy. 

Gavin, "Does this taste weird to you?"

Victoria, "Mine has sort of a nutty flavor."

“Tastes like...chicken.”

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
Just now, ByaNose said:

Julia was shown but still didn't get a confessional. I can imagine how frustrating it must be. She gave more intel on twitter with the items in Joe's bag and that she gave a confessional about looking through his bag which didn't air. I would also like to add Gavin. I know he's from the south and has a tattoo which looks like he got the day before the game started. LOL!!!! It's pretty amazing how many of the new players aren't getting any confessionals. It's a least 3 or 4 players. That's a lot.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

I’m irked at Reem’s constant use of the word “bro.”  I would totally tell her to not Bro me because we have established no level of bro-ness.  It’s almost as if she has picked up but has no concept of how to use it.  In her case I don’t think she should be using it all.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Victoria has been quite visible for someone who has yet to visit tribal council.

Right! I mentioned in the first ep that I thought she might be important/winner material because she had a confessional in that ep when she really didn't need to have one. Now, she is actively stupid, so I'm not sure she'll actually be much of a player, but I still say she must make it far and/or possibly win because she's getting a lot of airtime for someone who hasn't done anything of note besides be stupid lol.

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Hopefully nobody uses Wardog's real name here because that will confuse me even more.

Oh, they do and it is confusing. Some people call him Dan, which is his real name. I think it's kinda interesting that the players seem to all call him Wardog while none of them called Rick 'Devens.' Even more interesting is that apparently some of them do refer to Wendy as 'Big Wendy,' and that it's obviously a real nick name for her since she has it on her necklace, and yet Probst wouldn't let her be called that by him but he'll call Rick 'Devens.'

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

If they were going with Edge of Extinction I wish they had structured it differently.  I think every time someone new comes there should be a challenge and the loser goes home so that there is only one person at a time on the island.

Then it would just be Redemption Island.

3 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Survivor....um, does the Lesser-than tribe forget that David is a returnee?   He seems to have assimilated perfectly.   

Not really. Now, Kelly definitely has. She is obviously in a very tight alliance with Lauren and Wardog. Hell, Wardog has been saving her week after week. David only had Rick and now he doesn't have him. I would be shocked if David isn't voted out next if Lessu loses. And I will be flabbergasted if they actually manage to win lol.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That other hot guy who isn't Chris was so gentle with her about it.  I found that hysterical.  Like he was really mad I think, but it just came out like "Wendy..... you're making this difficult on us....."

That was so funny and cute. I know a lot of people here find Wendy annoying, but I think a lot of the players are kinda charmed by her tbh, even if they do find her kind of annoying.

My main take-away from this ep was that Gavin looked like he was just done all the time. The new Carl! 

I don't like Ron. He seems cocky. I'm torn because I want Joe gone, but a part of me almost hopes that Joe/Aurora can someone turn it around and get Ron out. That'd be hilarious. But Joe is stupid as hell, so I don't see that happening.

This ep was pretty boring. I really need something to happen with EoE already. There are a lot of fun and funny moments in each ep, but the game just feels like it's not moving at all because of EoE. And also because we don't know hardly anything about most of the new players.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

Right! I mentioned in the first ep that I thought she might be important/winner material because she had a confessional in that ep when she really didn't need to have one. Now, she is actively stupid, so I'm not sure she'll actually be much of a player, but I still say she must make it far and/or possibly win because she's getting a lot of airtime for someone who hasn't done anything of note besides be stupid lol.

How has she been actively stupid?  They showed the conversation and confessional about how difficult it was to find idols and not knowing where to start, but she has said on social media that she actually did go searching after that.

The Joe incident was really more Ron's fault.  Victoria does not have eyes in the back of her head, but Ron has them in the front of his, and he was looking right at Joe, and didn't let her know Joe was there.  

• Love 2

Also, I know she's been out there for what must seem like forever, but what kind of bitch do you have to be to treat another person just voted out with "Oh no... we don't like you!! You're not welcome here!" like Reem has? Man she is salty.

Now see, this is exactly where my Survivor game would come up short - because if I had just been voted out, subjected to a silent pitchy boat ride in the dark, and dropped on a desolate beach where the only discernible plant life is immediately berating me, I can pretty much damn guarantee you my response would be something along the lines of:

Who’s that?  Oh - hi, First Boot!  What are you still doing here?  I’d have thought the nation of Fiji would’ve paid extra to get your ass express-shipped the hell out of their country ASAFP.  What's that you say - you don’t want me here?  Well guess what, First Boot, I don’t really give a flying fuck through Hell’s Gate what you do or don’t want - and if you think it’s up to you who should or shouldn’t be here, then I guess you’re as wrong about that as you have been about everything you’ve said, everything you’ve done, and every decision you’ve made since you set foot off the damn plane.  Maybe you should take a sharp rock, go off in the dark and contemplate your wrists while you think about THAT for a while.  Oh - and hi, Keith. Now what y’all got to eat around here?

As some of you may have guessed by now, there are certain circumstances where I can be less than charming. 😉 

Reem doesn't surprise me but Keith does. More because of their personalities. I thought Keith would be more chill

So far as Keith’s quasi-attempts at surliness go, I’m suspecting more than a little Production coaching in that aspect; nastiness doesn’t seem to come as naturally to him as it does some of us.  🙂 

Remind me never to play a game with Reem. She's seems like the type who'll turn over the table and threaten your children if she loses and never ever give up her grudge. She's completely given up on the game, her only goal now is to be as big a petty, resentful bitch as possible. You're all suffering together on this island, how about some positivity? Nope, she greets each new arrival with her trademark harridan shriek and insults. Charming.

Once again, @Gummo, you have encapsulated my feelings eloquently.

Also, I had no idea who the person was that was rifling through Joe's bag. 

That’s Julia - the same one who’s been claiming racial bias over not getting enough screentime.  🙄

David is trying to subtly coach her for gods sake. If she was that awful a person, would David be trying to get her to calm down so she might have a chance to win?

If Wendy’s particular brand of “awfulness” provided David with an effective diversionary shield in the game...?  You bet your ass he would.  😄

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

If this is already a known element, I apologize for asking.  But with a vertical puzzle like this, wouldn't it be easier to work it out on the ground, where you can move the pieces easily?  Then once you have everything in place, pop it into the vertical puzzle frame.  Is there a rule about not doing this? 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, bunnyface said:

If this is already a known element, I apologize for asking.  But with a vertical puzzle like this, wouldn't it be easier to work it out on the ground, where you can move the pieces easily?  Then once you have everything in place, pop it into the vertical puzzle frame.  Is there a rule about not doing this? 

I believe Peachy was saying during the challenge that the tribes had to put all the pieces into the frame before they could "start working on it"; ie., moving the pieces around.  So in this case, yes, there was apparently a rule about not doing that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

How has she been actively stupid?  They showed the conversation and confessional about how difficult it was to find idols and not knowing where to start, but she has said on social media that she actually did go searching after that.

The Joe incident was really more Ron's fault.  Victoria does not have eyes in the back of her head, but Ron has them in the front of his, and he was looking right at Joe, and didn't let her know Joe was there.  

Victoria is not a shining Survivor player so far. She has said and done a few stupid things. You're free to still like her, I do too, but I'm not gonna pretend she hasn't done anything stupid just because I like her.

Ron really was a bigger idiot in that particular instance with Joe though for sure. He could literally see him and he still went on talking about getting rid of him. I mean! The fact that Joe still thinks Ron is with him is amazing. Now, Joe, there's a real idiot! It's almost sad. Ron is super lucky Joe has no brain cells. He was even pretty horrible in this ep with convincing Joe he was with him, yet he thought he was great lol. Again, he's super lucky that Joe is just very stupid.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

So, we should take Victoria's twitter posts seriously but not Julia's? 

Victoria is not a shining Survivor player so far. She has said and done a few stupid things. You're free to still like her, I do too, but I'm not gonna pretend she hasn't done anything stupid just because I like her.

Ron really was a bigger idiot in that particular instance with Joe though for sure. He could literally see him and he still went on talking about getting rid of him. I mean! The fact that Joe still thinks Ron is with him is amazing. Now, Joe, there's a real idiot! It's almost sad. Ron is super lucky Joe has no brain cells. He was even pretty horrible in this ep with him convincing Joe he was with him, yet he thought he was great lol. Again, he's super lucky that Joe is just very stupid,

I take Julia's twitter posts seriously.  She says she hasn't gotten any confessionals and she is 100% correct.  I just think she is totally wrong about the reason.  It is due to her good fortune for being on a dominant tribe, her contributions in challenges to help make that tribe dominant, her playing a solid, apparently blunder free game, being (before the swap) in a dull 6-3 newbies vs. returnees plus 1 alliance, and maybe being a bit dull.   Her lack of confessionals indicate to me that she has done well and is in a pretty solid position to go far, to this point.   She is getting an under the radar edit, for a well played under the radar game. 

The 2 other castaways of color have gotten tons of screen time and confessionals because they have been on the losing tribe, been on the chopping block and have, in Wendy's case, done stupid and crazy things that make good TV.  

I actually like Julia a lot, but I was disappointed by that comment.  I didn't really like her going through  Joe's things, but I guess I am getting used to that tactic.   

Since, we agree Ron was really responsible for the Joe incident, Victoria should be cleared of that stupidity charge.

Her idea of babysitting other would be idol hunters, rather than hunting for them yourself, is nothing new.   It has been seen in many seasons.

I thought her explanation about why it is so hard to find idols (to paraphrase, "all the trees look the same, and they all look strange at the same time" was intelligent.  She also picked up on Aubry's duplicity.  We haven't seen her do anything super smart, but I don't think she has been stupid either.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Since, we agree Ron was really responsible for the Joe incident, Victoria should be cleared of that stupidity charge.

Nah, she's still stupid for that. Ron also being stupid doesn't make her not stupid.

Many of them are doing stupid stuff this season. It's the most exciting part so far for me lol. I enjoy watching people play badly. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

Nah, she's still stupid for that. Ron also being stupid doesn't make her not stupid.

Many of them are doing stupid stuff this season. It's the most exciting part so far for me lol. I enjoy watching people play badly. 

I don't see how it is stupid to not know someone is crouching behind you, especially when you have an ally, who should be acting as a lookout, looking right at him.  I'm not sure, but I think Ron might have even started the conversation about Joe.   At any rate, if Joe had been behind Ron and Victoria didn't warn Ron, I'd blame Victoria.

• Love 4

I have a bad feeling in a few weeks I'll be watching a reunion show where Jeff tells me all of America just LOVES Wendy and then I have to watch a bunch of clips of her acting silly. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I don't love Wendy and I hate the chicken release thing.

I was surprised Reem and Keith were so salty to Chris. Really? is this season 1 of survivor for you? And after you've had time to digest getting voted off? I understand better when people get voted off and in the confessional right after they sound bitter--it's an emotional in that moment reaction. But days later?

I'm kind of wanting to see someone get voted off and they just pick the "done with game" option without pausing for a beat. Would be kind of funny to me.

At this point EOE is so dull I think spicing it up with a "fight to the death" aspect would make the extinction point more real (just kidding). I was also thinking maybe they should make it more real where they only give you a set amount of food--the more people come, the smaller your share so you have an incentive to bully others to quit or eat all the food yourself. Then we get some Lord of the Flies drama. I don't actually like nasty drama but this set up is dull.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I know I was SHOCKED My Boys Got OBJ Yesterday.

At the time she made the comment, OJB was still a NYG. I'm sure she was referring to past seasons, where she was totally correct.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I take Julia's twitter posts seriously.  She says she hasn't gotten any confessionals and she is 100% correct.  I just think she is totally wrong about the reason.

Absolute agreement.

20 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It is due to her good fortune for being on a dominant tribe, her contributions in challenges to help make that tribe dominant, her playing a solid, apparently blunder free game, being (before the swap) in a dull 6-3 newbies vs. returnees plus 1 alliance, and maybe being a bit dull.   Her lack of confessionals indicate to me that she has done well and is in a pretty solid position to go far, to this point.   She is getting an under the radar edit, for a well played under the radar game. 

One of the reasons I expect both Julia and Gavin will go pretty far, at least - they’re both playing the same UTR game.

12 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't see how it is stupid to not know someone is crouching behind you, especially when you have an ally, who should be acting as a lookout, looking right at him.

It doesn’t necessarily fall into the bone-stick stupid category, to be sure - but each player is responsible for their own game, and that includes situational awareness.

12 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I'm not sure, but I think Ron might have even started the conversation about Joe.   At any rate, if Joe had been behind Ron and Victoria didn't warn Ron, I'd blame Victoria.

Personally, I’m wondering if Ron’s failure to alert Victoria may not itself have been a strategic move; how much did Ron contribute to the conversation once Joe was within earshot?  Might’ve just been Ron’s bad luck Joe’s apparently as smart as a sackful of wet mice, else Joe would’ve been gunning for Victrola. 😉

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

LOL Julia is very annoyed that you don't know her. She even tweeted, paraphrasing, that she is not getting air time because she is Black.

I'm always pro more diversity, always, but I mean.  I (and many other of us) have watched Survivor since season 1.  We kind of know that this is how the show goes.  You concentrate on the tribes that go to Tribal first!  The rest is secondary.  You won't see them until later in the game.  This is the formula of the show.  And this part of the editing is not race-based, in my opinion.  Keith got a lot of airtime because he was getting removed fast.  Wendy's getting a lot of airtime, and she's not white, and she's stuck around for awhile.  So, I don't know how much of a fan Julia is of the show, but maybe she doesn't understand this.  There's a lot of white people not getting any airtime, and we don't know who they are.  I can't even comment on them with enough intelligence to tell you who I'm talking about.  Airtime should not even be the thing she's concerned about.  She should be concerned if she won or not.  Well  I don't want to know anything about that so nobody tell me!!!!!  I don't care where she placed.  I just mean her priorities seem askew.  This is not a game about Who Gets the Most Airtime?  I mean unless you want to be Russell or Ozzy and be invited back a bunch.  But for that you have to be as extreme as one of them.  Ozzy is Mexican and he's certainly gotten a lot of airtime on this show.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm always pro more diversity, always, but I mean.  I (and many other of us) have watched Survivor since season 1.  We kind of know that this is how the show goes.  You concentrate on the tribes that go to Tribal first!  The rest is secondary.  You won't see them until later in the game.  This is the formula of the show.  And this part of the editing is not race-based, in my opinion.  Keith got a lot of airtime because he was getting removed fast.  Wendy's getting a lot of airtime, and she's not white, and she's stuck around for awhile.  So, I don't know how much of a fan Julia is of the show, but maybe she doesn't understand this.  There's a lot of white people not getting any airtime, and we don't know who they are.  I can't even comment on them with enough intelligence to tell you who I'm talking about.  Airtime should not even be the thing she's concerned about.  She should be concerned if she won or not.  Well  I don't want to know anything about that so nobody tell me!!!!!  I don't care where she placed.  I just mean her priorities seem askew.  This is not a game about Who Gets the Most Airtime?  I mean unless you want to be Russell or Ozzy and be invited back a bunch.  But for that you have to be as extreme as one of them.  Ozzy is Mexican and he's certainly gotten a lot of airtime on this show.  

I don't disagree. My comment was meant to be a joke because Julia's tweet has gone a bit viral. There are plenty of people who have had hardly any air time. She bemoaned her lack of a confessional. Someone put together a chart of who has had confessionals (this was through the first three episodes). Half the people on Kama had 2 and Julia was the only one with 0. The horrors.

I suspect the lack of confessionals is due to 1) being on the tribe that keeps winning 2) Not being a returning player 3) Not being someone voted out or in danger of being voted out 4) Not being someone talking to or about a returning player.

And it could be that she is just boring in her confessionals. The one thing we saw her involved in tonight was the idol hunt and it as Ron who engineered that. So what would her confessional be? "Ron came by and told me he was going to talk with Joe at the Water Hole. Ron told me to look for the idol in Joe's bag because he might have it and Joe was distracted. So I looked in the bag and there was no idol." Not exactly exciting and not something that she did on her own. 

Maybe we will see more of her when her tribe loses or at the merge but I am guessing we won't. She has been shown talking with people and allying with the non-returnees but we have not seen her talking one on one with others. Then again, the only really solo conversations that we have seen are Joe and Audrey and Victoria and Ron with Joe in the background....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, they do and it is confusing. Some people call him Dan, which is his real name. I think it's kinda interesting that the players seem to all call him Wardog while none of them called Rick 'Devens.' Even more interesting is that apparently some of them do refer to Wendy as 'Big Wendy,' and that it's obviously a real nick name for her since she has it on her necklace, and yet Probst wouldn't let her be called that by him but he'll call Rick 'Devens.'

Oh my god.  That IS confusing.  

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, dsteele said:

I don't know. Four episodes in and I'm just...

bored.gif

I'm the same. Tribal Council just sort of ends and then someone goes to EI. They sit around not knowing what's going on there looking bored. Their is no showing of the votes and sometimes you don't know who voted for whom. Maybe, when EI ends it will better but after 4 episodes I'm very underwhelmed.

• Love 4

Wardog (Dan?): has those kind of ball-bearing eyes, where the pupil seems to be dilated all the way, all the time.  Like he's always in fight-or-flight mode.  Makes me uneasy.

Wendy: the chickens hate you for forcing them out of their shelter to suffer in the cold rainy night.  Nice work there.  I'm glad it made you dance with glee.

David: continues to amaze with his staying power and UTR-ness.

Reem:  man, that chick is hard-core.  I'm really amused and amazed seeing someone like that, so unabashedly sour.  Not that I'd want to live with her or anything.

Ron Burgundy (sorry don't know his name): I'm sorry you got voted out, I liked you.  Maybe you'll bring some levity to the Island of Perpetual Misery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I am pretty sure I read that some form of tourette's (maybe all?) is exasperated by stress.  

I think you mean exacerbated, but I find Wendy exasperating as hell, so it's all good.  I did notice a few tics, but she was really wound up so that could be why. My favourite tribe are the chickens.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

I think you mean exacerbated, but I find Wendy exasperating as hell, so it's all good.  I did notice a few tics, but she was really wound up so that could be why. My favourite tribe are the chickens.

I'm sure they could beat the Lesu Browns in an immunity challenge.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I'm the same. Tribal Council just sort of ends and then someone goes to EI. They sit around not knowing what's going on there looking bored. Their is no showing of the votes and sometimes you don't know who voted for whom. Maybe, when EI ends it will better but after 4 episodes I'm very underwhelmed.

I usually feel this way most seasons until they start to narrow down to fewer people.

• Love 1

This concept might have worked better if they didn't even tell us about EI. Then at some point they could just spring the new tribe (or whatever they are gonna do) on us. 

At least then it would be a shock, and maybe some people that you hated to see go out would be back, but the way they are doing it is just boring and repetetive: person gets voted out, sees the messages, shows up on bitter island, suffering ensues on said island, etc. 

• Love 5

You know, it would be funny if whoever is voted out gets to the sign and reads it fast and yells "Hey, I'm not really out of this game yet!" Maybe the people at tribal would hear them. Production would be angry if that happened.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

This concept might have worked better if they didn't even tell us about EI. Then at some point they could just spring the new tribe (or whatever they are gonna do) on us. 

At least then it would be a shock, and maybe some people that you hated to see go out would be back, but the way they are doing it is just boring and repetetive: person gets voted out, sees the messages, shows up on bitter island, suffering ensues on said island, etc. 

That was the Outcast Tribe from Pearl Islands. Everyone was pissed when they showed up, on the show and watching the show. I think they are showing EoE so that people "know" that the Outcasts are not at Ponderosa living like crap. I am not sure that the Outcast tribe had a choice in the matter, I think they were all there, but it was never made clear if the contestants had a choice to stay or leave the game.

• Love 3

I have no problem with the 90 seconds or whatever the show spends each week on EoE, but I'm very much with those of you who think it would be more interesting if the audience (not the players -- the torture of the waiting and not knowing is key) had a clue what the endgame was. Obviously they're not just going to reinstate all of them back in the game, but I just want to know something.

I give credit to the producers for trying to prevent a Pagong-ing by redistributing the tribes but boy did that backfire! I was cracking up watching Jeff try to spin the fact that virtually nothing changed as exciting and historic! I did not envy him in that moment.

Still couldn't name one person on the winning tribes other than Joe or Aubry. I think Victoria is the redhead with the braids?

• Love 1

Unless there's an interview or something where she says more, based on Julia's tweets, she didn't say that she wasn't getting airtime because she's black; she said that it was disheartening not to get more airtime, given that part of her reason for being on the show was because she was inspired by black players in previous seasons and she wanted to do the same for people watching now. I think it's a fairly dumb reason to be on the show, since I don't really equate "reality show contestant" with "role model," but I don't doubt that she's sincere. And because almost all the focus on Keith was, "oh and here's yet another black dude who can't swim," I can see why she feels a little put out. She also in that same tweet thread acknowledged that not getting airtime was "the blessing and the curse" of being on a winning tribe and not going to TC, so I think she's pretty clear on why she's not being featured; she's just disappointed is all.

I'll also defend Wendy a little and say that I've only known one person with Tourette's and her symptoms and vocalizations were exactly like Wendy's, but personality-wise, she was also similar in that she was an attention-seeker, she was manic at times, her judgment was, to put it kindly, not the best. I don't think it was the Tourette's that made her (or Wendy) that way, but I've seen those same kind of personality traits in other people who were socially excluded for other reasons, so I think it's just a way of trying to fit in and not knowing quite how and overcompensating, but then also maybe taking petty acts of revenge (like hiding the flint) when they find they're still on the outs. I'm just armchair psychologizing and am probably wrong, but that's how I read Wendy. I still don't dislike her and she's entertaining as hell in a pretty dull season, but lord is she unsuited for this game.

I don't hate Reem either, although I wouldn't want to spend any time with her. I had to laugh when she made the Holiday Inn comment because it reminded me of Vanuatu Twila who said the same thing. There's something sort of touching about them thinking the Holiday Inn is the height of luxury, and it made me go look at Reem's CBS bio to see what she does for a living. It's "sales," which tells me almost nothing, but I did love her answer to why she would survive Survivor: "My social game is amazing and although I am honest to a fault, I know when to chill." All righty, then.

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ok, so we have two tribes with 5 people, one with 4, and 4 on EoI island.  And still not a single person has left the game.  Something better start happening soon.  Time to bring the 4 exiles back.

They won't bring all of them back.  They will eventually have to play against each other to "win" the right to return.  They only have 39 days, not 139 days, to play the game.

Of course I could see Probst thinking: "Hmmm, how about next time 'Survivor: The Endless Season' with players rotating between Exile, Extinction, Picnic and Chicken Islands and lasting for 52 episodes.  Man am I brilliant as always."

Edited by green
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

So if one raises mast, do they all have to go? I wonder.

21 minutes ago, Special K said:

No I think that just signals for a boat to come.  Whoever raises the sail goes.

Yes, I am almost sure it is individual.  I wonder if, when the boat arrives, one or more other castaways might hop in.  If they are really miserable, it might be hard to resist, once the boat shows up. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Excellent point! I was reading last night that extreme stress is created in people when they experience uncertainty, lack of information and loss of control. At the time I read it, I related it to a recent nightmare experience I had sitting up sick and miserable all night in a crowded hospital ER waiting room, with literally no idea why it was taking so long, how many more hours I'd be there, or how to make anyone listen to me. It was as hard mentally as it was physically. 

But actually, this is the perfect description of EOE. The people there seem demoralized in a way you don't see in the regular game, and you've put your finger on why. Poor Keith sitting there staring longingly at the sail, desperately wanting to put himself out of his misery but not quite doing it, was EOE in a nutshell. Physical and psychological torture. 

I had a similar horrific experience at the hospital. Put in a hospital ER room for 2 days, never got dinner or lunch only breakfasts, had what felt like gallons of blood taken from me, saw multiple doctors who never communicated with each other, had my condition misdiagnosed not once but twice.

The kicker was the first doctor I saw said he knew what was wrong with me but was going off duty, said he would send in his intern to try and figure it out and told me not to give him hints, then left without ever telling me what was wrong with me.

talk about feeling totally helpless and alone.

• Love 2

Irishsecra, maybe the designers of EOE got the idea after spending a similar night at an ER. All the elements are there in the ER. No food, nobody nice to support you, nowhere comfortable to lie down, fear, anxiety, sketchy sanitation and a feeling like the nightmare will never end. They went through it and thought, "Hey! What a great idea for our game!" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Yes, I am almost sure it is individual.  I wonder if, when the boat arrives, one or more other castaways might hop in.  If they are really miserable, it might be hard to resist, once the boat shows up. 

It would be awesome if the boat pulled up and someone was grilling burgers on it.  Great way to thin the herd!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7