Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Finale

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, LBS said:

What happened to Kelsey’s crawfish?  I can’t recall what happened to it.  

I’m bummed that Eric lost.  His story was a lot more interesting than the other two IMO

The crawfish was in her first dish -- it was diced up a little bigger than the fruit, so it blended in visually. I could see it in the close-up vanity shot. Also, I think they showed that same "after" footage during the taste-off round... I remember seeing what looked like shrimp in the picture and wondering about where that came from! 

Agree that Eric's food story was more interesting. 

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, LBS said:

What happened to Kelsey’s crawfish?  I can’t recall what happened to it.  

I believe that she added crawfish to her first entrée, and that turned out well.  It was the 3rd entrée with the crab that she had trouble getting coated and fried just right.  She mentioned in her local TV interview before this aired that she knew she'd need to be perfect for the finale, but that unfortunately, mistakes are going to happen.  She wasn't 100% pleased with that particular dish, but she had to keep going and make the best of the situation.

1 hour ago, AriAu said:

I can't recall a finale where it was sooooo clear that they had cooked this menu several times in anticipation of the finale. How many times did we hear "back home" as in "peaches were in season back home" or "the bacon wasn't like this back home".  I'm not necessarily bothered by it, but it was just very clear that it was not only thought out before they got to Macau, but cooked as well.

I wouldn't doubt that they all practiced with some things before going on TC, but the point of most of these challenges was to incorporate your roots with the local ingredients, which they all did.  Kelsey said in a previous episode (in China) that she had about 27 ingredients in her dish, and most of them she couldn't name!   With the bacon, I think it was meant that the texture and way of cooking it was different than what the chef was used to.  One would expect that kind of thing when using ingredients from other cultures.    I don't think any of them could've predicted what they'd cook while on TC, nor could they have gotten a lot of those ingredients to practice with!  If any of them had any notion that they'd be cooking with durian, they would've cooked something better than what they did!  They probably did like Kelsey and started studying the culture once they learned they were going to China, but I doubt that they had much time to actually practice that particular cuisine.  You never know what the TC judges will be expecting either.  You could prepare one way, and they'd go way out into left field with their request.  My takeaway from this season was that they wanted thoughtfully inspired food.  They wanted to be able to know your story from eating your food.  

3 minutes ago, Bucket said:

You have to come prepared to make dessert for the finale.  It is not required but I have heard both Padma and Tom say they appreciate ending a meal with a sweet note. 

I can remember TC finales in which the judges were not happy when there wasn't a dessert served, so I thought that Sara might've been in trouble with that, but then once her last entrée was served, one of the judges said that they didn't miss dessert at all.  It's always a toss-up as to what they judges want and what they're going to complain about!

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I didn't notice them incorporating local flavor or technique.  I don't really care but usually that is a stipulation. 

They went to the local market and got a lot of their ingredients.  I think the flavors were in the details of the local spices. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

They went to the local market and got a lot of their ingredients.  I think the flavors were in the details of the local spices. 

Yeah, I did notice that.  I was thinking Hawaii finale when they made yucca (or something) that was difficult to cook properly. 

Edited by Bucket
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I believe that she added crawfish to her first entrée, and that turned out well.  It was the 3rd entrée with the crab that she had trouble getting coated and fried just right.  She mentioned in her local TV interview before this aired that she knew she'd need to be perfect for the finale, but that unfortunately, mistakes are going to happen.  She wasn't 100% pleased with that particular dish, but she had to keep going and make the best of the situation.

I wouldn't doubt that they all practiced with some things before going on TC, but the point of most of these challenges was to incorporate your roots with the local ingredients, which they all did.  Kelsey said in a previous episode (in China) that she had about 27 ingredients in her dish, and most of them she couldn't name!   With the bacon, I think it was meant that the texture and way of cooking it was different than what the chef was used to.  One would expect that kind of thing when using ingredients from other cultures.    I don't think any of them could've predicted what they'd cook while on TC, nor could they have gotten a lot of those ingredients to practice with!  If any of them had any notion that they'd be cooking with durian, they would've cooked something better than what they did!  They probably did like Kelsey and started studying the culture once they learned they were going to China, but I doubt that they had much time to actually practice that particular cuisine.  You never know what the TC judges will be expecting either.  You could prepare one way, and they'd go way out into left field with their request.  My takeaway from this season was that they wanted thoughtfully inspired food.  They wanted to be able to know your story from eating your food.  

I can remember TC finales in which the judges were not happy when there wasn't a dessert served, so I thought that Sara might've been in trouble with that, but then once her last entrée was served, one of the judges said that they didn't miss dessert at all.  It's always a toss-up as to what they judges want and what they're going to complain about!

I think he/they said that as a way to praise Sarah's final dish.  ;>

Edited by Bucket
56 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I've never seen a tartare in any Caribbean table or the African restaurants I've been to; and jerk spice is not a dish, so I see how he missed his mark.

Kitfo is an Ethiopian dish that is a beef tartare marinated in chili and spices and it’s delicious and been on almost every Ethiopian menu I have ever seen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I think he/they said that as a way to praise Sarah's final dish.  ;>

Yes, it was, so I was glad that not having a dessert didn't go against her as it has in past competitions.  

They were so satisfied that they didn't need dessert.  That is one sentence that will never come out of my mouth though! 🙂  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:
13 hours ago, Thumper said:

Okay, not a foodie, but boiled peanuts???   Ugh.  Not familiar with this, living in the upper Midwest.

It's a southern thing, and besides, Dothan (Kelsey's hometown) is considered the peanut capital of the world.  The majority of all the peanuts grown in the United States are grown within a 100 mile radius of Dothan.  We have an annual Peanut Festival at the fairgrounds, so for Kelsey to represent her hometown that way was a nice shout out to the peanut industry.

I found the information about Dothan so interesting, thank you.  I've had boiled peanuts on my way to or from the Outer Banks and they aren't my thing texture wise but I know they are popular.

I was fine with any of them winning. I watched WWHL the other night (mainly for John Oliver) and the three of them were the bartenders.  I sort of thought Kelsey must've won based on her body language and excitement level.  And she wouldn't say if she liked Padma or Tom better...

I enjoyed seeing them go out together-I don't watch this show for drama.  The dan tat looked excellent and if anyone can recommend some good ones in DC, I'm all ears.

• Love 3

Seeing Kelsey's husband at the final judging cast new light (for me) or her "Who's watching my child?" question when she first saw her mom.  It really rubbed me the wrong way at the time, her assuming Mom had that responsibility and not Husband. 

Now I see it differently. While Kelsey probably knew/suspected her husband had been flown over, but the moms/sister were a surprise. That's probably who was agreed on as their designated childcare hitter when she and her husband had the "what will we do if you get into the finale and they fly me to Macau" conversation before she left. I hadn't thought about him being there, too.

Edited by snarktini
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Yes, it was, so I was glad that not having a dessert didn't go against her as it has in past competitions.

I wonder if that's true though given that the chef that made dessert won. TC has always expected the cheftestants to do pastry. That Kelsey was able to do both "meat and vegetables" really really well and her pastry/dessert really really well was clearly a factor and even though there were all these critiques of her dessert shown (Including I think Padma saying it was too sweet? and the tea ice cream overwhelmed the peach flavor), the first thing Padma said was how much she LOVED the peach cobbler, and the other judges were like hell YEAH.  So ultimately a "perfect" steak competition worthy dish was not as satisfying as innovative peach cobbler/dessert.  Also like was said up thread they didn't say it was "close". 

I agree though it was nice they didn't dismiss her outright for not making one, but subconsciously I think they were like BITCH give me some sugar. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Now I see it differently. While Kelsey probably knew/suspected her husband had been flown over, but the moms/sister were a surprise. That's probably who was agreed on as their designated childcare hitter when she and her husband had the "what will we do if you get into the finale and they fly me to Macau" conversation before she left. I hadn't thought about him being there, too.

Michelle mentioned on the Pack Your Knives podcast that no one had any clue that family members were going to be there. I wonder if the baby got to go to Macau.

• Useful 1

Here's the link to Sara's restaurant.    I love the location, in the old railroad depot.    

https://www.freighthousefood.com/about/

I love the use of local produce, and the farm-to-table philosophy.

I loved that they had the relatives there for the finale.       Kelsey reunited with her baby at the airport when she arrived home.   

I think one reason they want a dessert with the final meal is that many chefs on the competition shows don't regularly do pastry or desserts, and they aren't as well rounded as the ones who specialize.    That was Kelsey's advantage, she not only has a full service restaurant, but a bakery, and I'm sure her catering includes desserts.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I wouldn't doubt that they all practiced with some things before going on TC, but the point of most of these challenges was to incorporate your roots with the local ingredients, which they all did. 

I think they actually worked on their finale menus during the 2 week break since the actual final challenge is, as far as I can remember, always "make the greatest 4 course meal of your life" and nothing here required them to do anything involving the flavors or ingredients of Macau. In fact, they got to bring some ingredients and even special order some things from the hotel.

Do TC contestants ever ‘recreate’ a finale by having the cheftestants do their 4 course finale meal as an event?  Not to be ‘judged a winner’  Just to show what they would have done.  I bet there would be a lot of takers for an event(s) like that. 

I know that when Rick Bayless won TC Masters he did serve his finale menu at Frontera Grill for a week or so....and Sara's menu highlights several top chef dishes.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Not surprised that the menu really isn't my thing, but I am tickled by the (tc) chicken & not box waffles.

I just noticed that she has a link to some recipes on that page as well. I looked at the Thunder & Lightning recipe and it's the same thing my mother used to make from her Jewish heritage (minus the chili flakes and usually the tomatoes). It was always one of my favorite things.

Now, Sara starts to grow on me.

ETA again: She totally would have put the chili flakes in had she thought of it. She loved heat in food.

Edited by The Solution
saw something else

Someone upthread mentioned that they could have skipped Kelsey and Sarah’s dinner to give more attention to the cooking competition.  I assume the only reason the show went to Macau is because Graham Elliot has a restaurant in the MGM hotel. Of course they had to advertise the hotel restaurants; I’m only surprised they  didn’t eat at Graham’s place.

And didn’t both women look great at that dinner?

Is this the first time a cheftestant won both Top Chef and Fan Favorite?

• Love 2

Is this the first time a cheftestant won both Top Chef and Fan Favorite?

I know that Stephanie Izard won both and I think Kristen Kish did as well

Ooops-I was wrong. as biakbiak pointed out Sheldon won over Kristen and they all won over Josie

Edited by AriAu
I wasw wrong
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I have had boiled peanuts several times because I keep wanting to like them because everyone (local) raves about them.  But each time I try, it is a "nope" from me.  It is definitely a texture thing, but I also don't think they have much taste.  I kept trying, because I kept being assured I didn't try the "right" ones, but after trying three versions of the "right" ones and I still don't like them, I'm thinking it is them and not me.

They're kind of a polarizing ingredient, so it was risky to include them in their dishes, but they went for it to showcase their roots.  Very risky, in light of the fact that odd and unfamiliar textures had been proven by Eric with that gritty African dish to be unpopular with the judges.

Edited by HurricaneVal
More better words. Grammar be important.
  • Love 1

Both finalists had problems with a dish...Sara with the pork belly and Kelsey with the crab. Both had a dish that the judges raved about...Kelsey's oysters, Sara's beef dish. Personally, and I know I'm going to be chastised for this, I think the decision came down to which one would be a better ambassador for the brand "Top Chef" and would be easier to promote. I think it was a decision made by the producers ultimately. Kelsey is a pretty blonde who happens to be a great chef but also has a cheerful personality and a sense of humor. Sara is a kick ass chef but isn't as personable and is frumpy. Don't fool yourselves...the Top Chef producers and Bravo TV are thinking of expanding the brand after every season and Kelsey will be a huge plus for them. Having come from an advertising background I can safely say that this was a business decision. Sara will do just fine...all the finalists do.

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, CatWarmer said:

I’m only surprised they  didn’t eat at Graham’s place.

As they ate I assumed it was in Graham's restaurant.  Did they say the name of where they were?  

Just now, HurricaneVal said:

Very risky, in light of the fact that odd and unfamiliar textures had been proven by Eric with that gritty African dish to be unpopular with the judges.

Well a lot of the guests were Asian and boiled peanuts are a thing in China and parts of Southeast Asia. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bucket said:

As they ate I assumed it was in Graham's restaurant.  Did they say the name of where they were?  

They ate at Aji the chef Mitsuharu Tsumura was one of the guests. It’s a Nikkei restaurant Japanese-Peruvian. I have had the pleasure of eating at his restaurant Maido in Lima and it was spectacular.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I think the decision came down to which one would be a better ambassador for the brand "Top Chef" and would be easier to promote.

I alluded to that in my own comment.  If the finalists had served equally outstanding meals, I think that would have been the deciding factor.  As it turned out, Kelsey had the better meal (IMO) and won fair and square.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

Seeing Kelsey's husband at the final judging cast new light (for me) or her "Who's watching my child?" question when she first saw her mom.  It really rubbed me the wrong way at the time, her assuming Mom had that responsibility and not Husband. 

It's also possible that her mom provides childcare while her husband works- I know many families with this arrangement.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, mlp said:

I alluded to that in my own comment.  If the finalists had served equally outstanding meals, I think that would have been the deciding factor.  As it turned out, Kelsey had the better meal (IMO) and won fair and square.  

Yes, I agree and she had a unique menu as well.  

• Love 2

I'm watching this right now. I'm so glad Kelsey, Sarah and Eric are the final 3.  My order is 1) Sarah, 2) Kelsey and 3) Eric. But I'd be happy with whoever won.  Goodness, they are competing over the first course!

From the way Tom was on the "frat boy" culture in the kitchen before the scandals, I don't think Kelsey's blondeness had anything to do with her win. It's unfair to accuse them of that. Besides, only guys should win TC, and we don't care what they look like, lol. (pls pls, it's a joke!)

Boiled peanuts??? I guess 50,000 (southern) Frenchmen must be right. Everyone's raving about the peanut water too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So Kelsey, Brandon and Nini are the cute team.

It sounded like Eric's fourth course is sorbet icebergs? 

Sarah's menu sounds a little off, as if she's trying too hard. When Sarah jumped back from the prawns, I jumped, too. Eric's tartare sounds like it would be good.

Sarah and Kelsey eating the egg tart was pretty funny.  Then telling Eric to drink a lot to stay up.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

When Sarah jumped back from the prawns, I jumped, too.

That whole shopping spree was awesome, just snatch your seafood from the water! I noticed that Not!Gail and the judge Alexander (?) had different opinions of Kelsey's cornbread success. He also got the exact idea/memory Sara was conveying with the boiled peanuts!, and raved about the salty, peanutty, water.

It's nice to see Justin again. Only regret for me is that Justin didn't make it further. I wonder if he had a viewing party last night.

I have some of my grandmother's cookwear - baking items from the 1930s -, my great-aunt's 9 x 13 blue enameled baking pan. I think it's cool Kelsey brought her great-grandmother's tins.

First course ready to go! I think Eric will make it through unless he made a bad mistake. My feeling is that Kelsey won't make it, but we'll see. Sounds like Sarah makes it, from Tom's comments.

Yikes, it's Eric that goes! That's too bad but I'm glad for Kelsey and Sarah. Alabama vs. Kentucky, sounds like football or basketball. I wonder if the schools are in the same conference.

Now I wonder if the corn tempura batter for the crabs will be Kelsey's downfall.

I wonder why they are drinking from the side of the can.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, snarktini said:

The crawfish was in her first dish -- it was diced up a little bigger than the fruit, so it blended in visually. I could see it in the close-up vanity shot. Also, I think they showed that same "after" footage during the taste-off round... I remember seeing what looked like shrimp in the picture and wondering about where that came from! 

I had the exact same thought-- but about Sara's dish! When Tom said it needed more "herbal notes" I thought "Then what the heck was that green stuff that looked like basil on her dish?" Then when they showed the beauty shot again for the full meal I thought "That's the same damn picture you showed before!"

When the three of them went out to get some "egg tarts"--  as soon as I saw them I had a flash back to another reality show fave of mine-- the Great British Baking Show where they did Pastéis de Nata -- which are of course Portuguese. 

• Love 3

Kelsey's downfall may be her crab dish. And Sarah's might be the bacon and peach dish if it remains really salty. I hope she can fix it. At least one judge found the salt level was OK. Of course it wasn't too salty for Tom, but he certainly had problems with it. Hoping the other courses are good enough to outweigh the one not so good course.

Nice product placement of Pellegrino!

I'm happy for Kelsey, but I thought Sarah's meal sounded better from the comments. But I didn't taste it.  They both did really well! I was extra happy that these two were the finalists because sometimes it seems like regional or southern food gets looked down on in Top Chef and other cooking competitions and the chefs get kind of marginalized because they aren't working in New York or LA or San Francisco or another urban hub. 

@ChitChat, I bet you are happy for Kelsey!  Is there anything special going on to celebrate?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dleighg said:

When the three of them went out to get some "egg tarts"--  as soon as I saw them I had a flash back to another reality show fave of mine-- the Great British Baking Show where they did Pastéis de Nata -- which are of course Portuguese. 

They are called dan tat in Macau/China.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

At the very end of the show last night they showed Kelsey and her husband's reunion with the baby at the airport.    

There was a big street party here last night, in front of Kelsey's restaurant, and at an event venue across the street.    The proceeds for the after party went to local humane societies, and they were asking for pet food donations.  

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

the very end of the show last night they showed Kelsey and her husband's reunion with the baby at the airport.    

Ah my recording cut it off! So Kelsey’s mother lied to her to keep the surprise that her husband was there.

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Here's the link to Sara's restaurant.    I love the location, in the old railroad depot.    

https://www.freighthousefood.com/about/

I looked at the menu and one item is "chicken and not box waffles." Ha!

3 hours ago, Bucket said:

Too bad she has no menu or photos of some dishes. 

There is a link to the menu at the very top of the screen.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

@ChitChat, I bet you are happy for Kelsey!  Is there anything special going on to celebrate?

Everybody I've talked to is excited for her!  It's nice to see a local person do well.  Ditto what CrazyInAlabama said!  I was curious if there were any banners or anything up at her restaurant today, but I am avoiding that area because it's very congested over there.  I'm hoping to go back and try some other things on her menu once things settle down.  I've read that she's getting a lot of people from out of town coming in just to see her.  I just wish I would've discovered her before TC!  The other benefit is that the local boutique stores close to her are getting more business too.  It's a win-win for everybody!

• Love 8

Give Eric his own restaurant and show! I was really disappointed not to see the meal he had planned, in addition to rooting for him to win. That being said, I am glad that the finale was, as someone said earlier, between two chefs who brought out the best in each other, and respected the local cuisine. I did enjoy seeing them having dinner, and roaming the markets trying and reacting to foods. It was like watching them evolve as chefs right in front of our eyes, as they’ve been doing all season long.

I’m glad for Kelsey’s win, especially when one chef did say, “I’m ready for dessert now.” And lo and behold, here it was. So the meal progression worked in that respect. But yes, I am glad for Sara that her savory dish wasn’t dinged for not being a dessert.

Lotus chips – thanks also to the poster who underscored that it was on Eric. And the other poster who pointed out that Michelle may not have relayed her concerns to Eric. With the editing, and her flat affect, it kinda looked like she was either uncaring or deliberately with-holding the info from Eric. FTR, I don’t think she was uncaring or setting out to sabotage, but that really made me think about how being telegenic or having the type of personality that plays well on camera is definitely going to be rewarded, if only in getting a more favorable edit.

I really liked Padma telling the Kelsey and Sarah some of the really great comments they got from the guests. If they’re going to bother bringing in guest judges who are notable chefs, I hope that we’ll get to hear more of their critiques (from chefs not celebrities or magazine editors, that is). Although I did laugh when they showed several talking about the saltiness of Sara’s pork -- only to have Tom shut them all down with an “I didn’t think it was salty at all.”

Another LOL moment was the Sara’s TH when she gleefully announced “I got the PEANUTS! I got the PEANUTS!”. My inner twelve-year-old heard her saying something else.

I was a little bit squicked out when she insisted that Eddie and David kiss her “on the lips” in the kitchen. Just me? Ok, then.

Those montages they played for the remaining three was really great, primarily for seeing the chef’s reaction to theirs (LOL Not Today Satan!!!) and also the other chefs. I have to admit to going “Oh right, he’s a judge” when Gordon Eliot came up to narrate Sara’s.

I did go through a Dan Tat/Egg Custard Tart phase – a bakery that was near me at the time featured different varieties of it, like Green Tea and Egg White. There were other flavors too, but those were the ones I would get, or the “classic” in a smaller size than the usual. I’ve also come across the term “Portuguese style” to refer to the caramelized tops (like the one that Kelsey, Eric and Sara had) vs. the plain one, which is a uniform golden yellow custard in a flaky crust.

I have never been to Macau, but I sure want to go now! This is my favorite locale of all of the Finales.  A big thanks to the Elves that pulled this locale together, and how amazing it must have been for all of the cheftestants to have been flown there!!!

• Love 6

I agree that the forced mouth kissing was inappropriate.  

So happy for Kelsey - I wasn’t a fan until the boat episode when she really showed her ability to make it a party.  It was just “all in” and her efforts were showcased very well.

Sarah just didn’t impress me all season.  You’re on a major TV show - why do you have to look like you just fell out of bed in the clothes you slept in?  They certainly don’t have to look like fashion plates (no pun intended) but at least look clean and neat.  Her mother was very well-put-together.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Pathetica said:

Well darn. I was so sure Sarah (who I really took a dislike to early on) was going to win, I didn't even finish watching the finale. So happy to come here and read this!

to me it looked really close (and I was kind of rooting for Sarah). But I guess the salty bacon killed her. I appreciate the upstream poster who mentioned that Tom did *not* say "it was really really close" so I guess that's our answer. Those oysters must have been killer. I'd love the recipe.

19 hours ago, Pickles said:

I am answering my own question--Kelsey won that too!

I'm flabbergasted by this.  She was maybe my least favorite, or at least in the bottom 3.

• Love 3