Type keyword(s) to search

Buddy vs. Duff - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, Yeah No said:

I can see why you think it's scripted at this point.  It's no coincidence that they're in a tie and trying to break it with this season.  I wonder if they will still end up in a tie so neither of them has to be the loser.

That is exactly what I am thinking. After all, isn't this season for charity?! "Well both cakes are great, and both teams are great, we'll call it a tie, its all for charity anyhow". And both teams will win money for their charities. 

• Love 2

I really liked the episode last night. Buddy's team made the giant slice of rainbow cake with a giant donut on top. Duff's team made that awesome farmers market display. 

Duff's team was amazing. How she made the edible onion skins, the green edible plastic for the rose bouquets, all of the fruits and veggies, bread, etc. Farmers Markets are so beautiful to begin with since everything is a colorful bounty of food. I was totally into Duff's teams creation. 

Some low points though...

• when that zoom judge said they could have covered the real wood crates with fondant or something edible.
  • another zoom judge commenting on the roses not looking as real as they should have since the flowers were all one solid color. Duff made those roses. Oopsie, Duff.
  • another judge said he would have liked Buddy's cake to be like a real cake where the layers showed some spongy texture in the crumb. Buddy replied that it depends on who baked the cake and all of his cakes have a fine crumb. 

I'm going to watch this episode again. I want to look more closely at all of the work Duff's team did. They had so many things, I didn't get to see them all. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I really liked the episode last night. Buddy's team made the giant slice of rainbow cake with a giant donut on top. Duff's team made that awesome farmers market display. 

Duff's team was amazing. How she made the edible onion skins, the green edible plastic for the rose bouquets, all of the fruits and veggies, bread, etc. Farmers Markets are so beautiful to begin with since everything is a colorful bounty of food. I was totally into Duff's teams creation. 

Some low points though...

• when that zoom judge said they could have covered the real wood crates with fondant or something edible.
  • another zoom judge commenting on the roses not looking as real as they should have since the flowers were all one solid color. Duff made those roses. Oopsie, Duff.
  • another judge said he would have liked Buddy's cake to be like a real cake where the layers showed some spongy texture in the crumb. Buddy replied that it depends on who baked the cake and all of his cakes have a fine crumb. 

I'm going to watch this episode again. I want to look more closely at all of the work Duff's team did. They had so many things, I didn't get to see them all. 

Duff has posted some pics of his Farmer's Market on his Instagram, you can look there. I agree with you, Duff's team was amazing! The fruit and vegetables looked so real, especially that onion skin and plastic wrap for the roses. Just amazing! 

• Love 4

I don't understand how anyone could consider Duff's display a cake but it was terrific.  I would love to see close up still pictures of the whole thing.   Natalie and Sonny do great work.

Buddy's huge display was just...............big. 

So far all the comments from judges have been pretty insipid.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, mlp said:

So far all the comments from judges have been pretty insipid.

Their criticisms are totally lame.  Where did they get these people?  Clearly then are not "experts" of any caliber.  Duff had trouble keeping a straight face with that wooden plank lady.

• Love 1

Many of the judges are straight out of the Food Network Rolodex (baking section).   There have been several from Halloween Wars, several from the Baking Championship shows, the guy with the strange hair this week was from that Candyland show (WOOOOOW!!!) last year.  Dana who quizzed Buddy this week actually worked for him for a while so yeah, impartiality?  I guess?

Buddy really backslid this week.   His pieces were fairly basic, mostly wood and HUGE.   Duff's piece looked great but I agree you can't call it a cake.   Was there even any cake at all?   It think it was mostly modeling chocolate and rice treats.

Ralph was cracking me up this episode.   You could tell he had the other bakers rolling.

It's a bit of a misnomer to call this Buddy vs. Duff because most of the expertise is in the teams.   I'd like to see Buddy and Duff vs. Natalie and Ralph.  I think the latter would mop the floor with the two "names".   Did Duff really do anything this episode other than make the roses (something any half competent cake maker should be able to do)?   And even with those, they didn't look that great and the "wow" factor for that piece (the gelatin cellophane) came from Natalie.  

• Love 6

I thought the remote judges were a neat idea at first but now given the dumb responses of some of them I'm liking that a lot less.  Couldn't they get a few really serious professionals instead of some of these characters?

I would have thought one of them would at least ding Duff's presentation for not really being much of a cake.  It was fascinating and I loved it, but did it really meet the challenge?

I felt like Buddy handed the win to Duff this week.  How could he have thought his cake would be more impressive?   Plus you couldn't really get a sense from the outside of the cake that there were all those actual layers of cake underneath.  It was weird that the "layers" we saw weren't the real cake layers that were under the icing.  They didn't look very realistic either.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

It was fascinating and I loved it, but did it really meet the challenge?

I don't think either of them met the challenge, actually.  A feast is a large meal, which neither of them did.  Duff did ingredients and Buddy did--pieces that would have fit in btter on the mini golf challenge last season.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I don't think either of them met the challenge, actually.  A feast is a large meal, which neither of them did.  Duff did ingredients and Buddy did--pieces that would have fit in btter on the mini golf challenge last season.  

I think Buddy would have been better off going with Ralph's suggestion of a Thanksgiving Dinner sans the "walk in turkey" or whatever hysterical thing Ralph suggested.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think Buddy would have been better off going with Ralph's suggestion of a Thanksgiving Dinner sans the "walk in turkey" or whatever hysterical thing Ralph suggested.

"You wanna walk in a turkey's ass?!"   

• LOL 2

I finally watched "the feast" episode and I agree, neither technically met the theme.  But I did notice Ralph seems to be really over "giant food" or just making everything so big.  While the donut and cupcake looked great, Duff's team output really was more impressive.  Those vegetables really looks like they were edible.

• Love 3

I am really enjoying this season...I like it better because Buddy and Duff aren't slamming each other and seem to truly respect each other. I'm sure that has always been the case? But it's much more enjoyable to watch. I have despised Buddy until this season. Lol. And...msy I say ...I would LOVE to work with Ralph!! What a hoor!@@

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SHERMDOG said:

I am really enjoying this season...I like it better because Buddy and Duff aren't slamming each other and seem to truly respect each other. I'm sure that has always been the case? But it's much more enjoyable to watch. I have despised Buddy until this season. Lol. And...msy I say ...I would LOVE to work with Ralph!! What a hoor!@@

Me too! I've despised Buddy like forever, but he's more tolerable this season. 

• Love 2

Much of Buddy's work has been better this season.  But then for both of them, it's not really their work so much,  

I don't think Buddy and Duff really respect each other.  Their hurt feelings and snipping at each other in the first two seasons seem completely genuine, which is why it was so uncomfortable to watch.   I never felt like it was amped up smack talk or producer scripted shenanigans.  They are definitely toned down this year, but I think it's a combination of both both of them mellowing a bit from their experiences the show touted at the start of the season and the producers finally getting it wasn't a good look and telling them to tone it down (and/or editing it out).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Buddy and Duff both took liberties with the word "architecture" IMO.  Neither of their choices would have crossed my mind.  

Duff's baby is cute and he's obviously a doting daddy but bringing out an infant when he made something for a much older child smacked of an attempt to sway the jury.

I wonder what the odds are of 50 people scoring 1-5 points arriving at the same total twice.  I have a little trouble believing that actually happened.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, mlp said:

I wonder what the odds are of 50 people scoring 1-5 points arriving at the same total twice.  I have a little trouble believing that actually happened.

It's improbable enough on it's own, but even more so when you factor in that last week's voting left them magically tied coming into this week.  

I didn't have a problem with the Sphinx meeting the theme.  It may not be the first thing that jumps to mind when you hear architectural wonder but I think it technically meets the theme.    But a treehouse?  No.  And Duff knew it didn't meet it...that's why he deliberately left "wonder" off of his presentation.  

It's kind of annoying they call these things cakes when there's so much wood, metal piping and electrical wires in them.   But Team Duff took it to a new level with massive balls of aluminum foil and plexiglass.  

And since I'm ragging on Duff, am I the only one that wants to snatch that damn snow cap off his head?   Dude lives in LA and is running around in shorts and T shirt wearing an eskimo hat indoors.  

• Love 3
On 8/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Maverick said:

He mentioned living in LA earlier this season.    Different strokes, but I'm not a fan of his.  I used to be indifferent about him but like him less with each season of this show.  

Same here.  I find something a little snotty and superior about Duff.  Meanwhile I'm liking Buddy a little more which is a kind of a surprise for me as I never cared for him all that much.  The person I like the most is actually Ralph.  He seems like a really neat guy.

I'm sure they were told to tone down the competitiveness by production but I'm not convinced they weren't told to amp up the rivalry in earlier seasons.  I don't trust anything about these "reality" competition shows.

I think Buddy's team has really improved a lot and is giving Duff's a run for their money.  I often don't love the ideas Duff comes up with like this one.  Who would do a cartoony tree house as an architectural wonder?   At least there was some kind of architectural wonder involved in Buddy's work.  It boggles my mind because Duff's usually the one to do the detailed building like that church or the hanging gardens.  Maybe he thought that kind of thing wouldn't get him a win, who knows?

And yeah, I'm not buying the scoring.

• Love 2
Just now, Marisagf said:

Sorry, but cake making shouldn't require that much construction!

I think Duff should have won.  Buddy's cake was impressive, but I though Duff's was better and more imaginative.

I agree. I wonder how much of their builds are cake. I didn't even see any cake in Duff's creation. They both use a lot of rice crispie treats though, along with other non edible materials. 

You're right about Duff's cake being more imaginative. That's why I think he's better. Buddy is good, and does good work, but doesn't really step out of his comfort zone. The dinosaur was amazing, but I think the face/nose could have been a bit longer. It just looked a bit off to me. The city was incredible though.

• Love 1

I'm a big fan of Duff but I'm very glad that Buddy won.  I thought his "monster" was outstanding.  The only things I liked about Duff's display were the toys that Sonny made.  I thought the Marty part was a mess and it was hard to tell what was what except in close ups.  I appreciate that it was technically difficult but I didn't like the look of it at all.

Who on earth was the OTT host?  He looked like he was wearing a bathrobe.  

I enjoyed seeing Dwayne and Derek and a couple others I "know" from other shows.  

I will admit to tearing up a bit watching Buddy try not to cry at the end.  It was obvious that coming back and winning after his terrible injury meant a great deal to him.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'm a big fan of Duff but I'm very glad that Buddy won.  I thought his "monster" was outstanding.  The only things I liked about Duff's display were the toys that Sonny made.  I thought the Marty part was a mess and it was hard to tell what was what except in close ups.  I appreciate that it was technically difficult but I didn't like the look of it at all.

Totally agree, although I'm not much of a Duff fan.  I feel like everything Duff and his team do is creepy 'bride of Chucky meets Halloween' and  I'm just so tired of it by now.  Of course Buddy has done dinosaurs before but this one was really amazing.  

• Love 1

It must be so difficult to judge this competition. Buddy and Duff have such different styles. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges. And their teams are top notch so the execution is nearly flawless. Could be why this year the judges weren't asked to choose between B&D but to rate each display piece. I couldn't pick a winner. Was surprised to hear Duff say he wanted another season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

It must be so difficult to judge this competition. Buddy and Duff have such different styles. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges. And their teams are top notch so the execution is nearly flawless. Could be why this year the judges weren't asked to choose between B&D but to rate each display piece. I couldn't pick a winner. Was surprised to hear Duff say he wanted another season.

And, as far as we know, they can't see anything up close.  It's must be really hard to take in the work.

I still think Duff is more talented.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Marisagf said:

I still think Duff is more talented.  

I agree.   Buddy's claim to fame is just to make everything gigantic.  He does have a very talented team for sure and they do the finesse work.

I have to say that I absolutely hated the whole group judging deal. I had to mute it when they were making their inane comments.

• Love 4

The judges are such a joke.  Half of them have been judged by Duff on the various holiday baking shows and others have worked with or been judged by Buddy.  And apparently there was another competition going on to see who among the judges could be the wackiest.  Nice try with bathrobe, rando YouTube guy but the dude who just stepped in from giving the Jolly Green Giant a hummer to vote trounced you.  

Duff is definitely more creative than Buddy but that's because Duff's whole business is these huge more-art0nstallations-than-cake cakes while Buddy is an old school baker who's bread and butter is turning out consistent pastries in volume on a daily basis.  Duff sees himself as an artist and what Buddy does as just common commercial stuff.   

I thought both pieces were ok, but I'm tired of all the massive structures.  When you spend 2 out of 3 days putting together wood, lead pipe and motors and slap you centerpiece "cake" together in less than a day, it's not a cake competition anymore.   If they do this mess again, I would they would scale it back to "what can you do with cake?"  No wood, pvc, aluminum foil, ect allowed.  Let's see what they can produce for cakes actually meant to be served.  Also, they really need to cut back the teams.  Duff really didn't do much but stand up and throw out all these wacky ideas.  Natalie, Geoff and Sonny had to work their asses off to crank it out.   His big contribution this episode was to make an "edible" LiteBrite but covering a real LiteBrite with fondant and then making pegs out of sugar.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Duff is definitely more creative than Buddy but that's because Duff's whole business is these huge more-art0nstallations-than-cake cakes while Buddy is an old school baker who's bread and butter is turning out consistent pastries in volume on a daily basis.  Duff sees himself as an artist and what Buddy does as just common commercial stuff.   

Well, Duff is an artist while Buddy is more of an artisan.  I wouldn't call what Buddy does all that common either.  Some of the stuff he's done over the years has been pretty awesome and artistic.  He does a lot of huge specialty cakes not just volume pastries.  Both have a different style and IMHO neither one is better than the other.  Buddy's is probably more suited for actual cakes not installations.  This competition is more suited for what is actually more of Duff's domain, and I actually think he has more of an advantage because of that.  Personally I think they should just stick to all cake.  This competition puts them on more of a level playing field because neither of them is doing most of the hands on work, but functioning more as visionary and leader of a team.  I wouldn't assume that Buddy wouldn't be able to do some of the stuff his team accomplishes for him, though.  Duff doesn't do most of what his team does either.

• Love 2

I knew this would be the sympathy season for Buddy ! I knew he would win .  
I bet FN some bad feedback from parents who were worried their little fragile children were seeing had sportsmanship from Buddy the first season , and Buddy got a lot of backlash on social media.  So this season it is fake friendship time!

I know Buddy has done these big cakes for years, but that's not the core of his business.   It's the traditional bakery business.   Pastries, pies, birthday and wedding cakes.   It's obviously a good business.  I don't look down on it but I think Duff does,  He just comes across to me as someone who's too good to bake a 3 tier birthday cake or turn out a good Danish.  That it's all well and good if you can do that like Buddy does, but doing that doesn't put him in the same league as him.   I completely agree they're not comparable and that's been the major flaw in this show from episode 1.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

I know Buddy has done these big cakes for years, but that's not the core of his business.   It's the traditional bakery business.   Pastries, pies, birthday and wedding cakes.   It's obviously a good business.  I don't look down on it but I think Duff does,  He just comes across to me as someone who's too good to bake a 3 tier birthday cake or turn out a good Danish.  That it's all well and good if you can do that like Buddy does, but doing that doesn't put him in the same league as him.   I completely agree they're not comparable and that's been the major flaw in this show from episode 1.   

They are not comparable at all .  Duff and his buddies met in college and are more artists than bakers . That was obvious on Ace of Cakes . 
Buddy dropped out or high school to run his dad’s bakery .   He’s not educated and sounds like his not very smart when he talks , but he obviously is smart enough to run a very successful business .

I do think Duff  looks down his nose at  Buddy because of how he talks and the fact that he and the people who actually work in his bakery are not college graduates who spent years smoking weed and being artists .  Buddy and his group are working class people who have had to work . 

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, orangekit said:

They are not comparable at all .  Duff and his buddies met in college and are more artists than bakers . That was obvious on Ace of Cakes . 
Buddy dropped out or high school to run his dad’s bakery .   He’s not going educated and sounds like his not very smart when he talks , but he obviously is smart enough to run a very successful business .

Agreed.  Buddy isn't book smart but he took over the bakery when he was a teenager and built a small empire.  He's plenty smart.  Also, I think he learned from his bad behavior on the first show and then mellowed during his recovery from what could have been a life changing injury.  I quite like him now.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Marisagf said:

And, as far as we know, they can't see anything up close.  It's must be really hard to take in the work.

That has bugged me all season.  They aren't close enough to see details and, worse, the front of each display is clearly facing the cameras and the TV audience, not the judges.  I've  wondered if they move the displays to face the judges at some point and we just don't see that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mlp said:

Agreed.  Buddy isn't book smart but he took over the bakery when he was a teenager and built a small empire.  He's plenty smart.  Also, I think he learned from his bad behavior on the first show and then mellowed during his recovery from what could have been a life changing injury.  I quite like him now.

I agree and same here.  Plus Duff didn't look too good on that last season when their rivalry seemed to take an ugly turn.  I saw a fair amount of people surprised at his behavior but it didn't surprise me.  He comes off as effete and superior.  He shouldn't look down his nose at Buddy just because he sounds like a Sopranos cast member and isn't as educated.  As someone who has both Italian AND Jewish heritage I think Duff should remember how his people were looked upon by most of the world before copping a superior attitude towards working class Italian Americans.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mlp said:

That has bugged me all season.  They aren't close enough to see details and, worse, the front of each display is clearly facing the cameras and the TV audience, not the judges.  I've  wondered if they move the displays to face the judges at some point and we just don't see that.

Yes, I've wondered the same thing.  The judging this season wasn't believable in just about every way.  None of those wackadoos could put together an intelligent question much less did it look like they could even see the cakes.  I don't know what it is with TV shows these days but the plausibility factor is continually going down.

• Love 2

Normally Duff and his team do incredible stuff that is so clean and perfect.  I know his “monster” was supposed to look like it was “Frankenstein’d” together, therefore, a bit messy.  But this cake was not Duff’s usual level of work IMO. Plus I was a little miffed his team copied characters from Toy Story and Rudolph.  The (Big Baby) doll head, the purple mean (Lotso)bear, the spotted elephant and some other toys were copies.  Even the premise of creating maniacal toys from scavenged parts is a rip off from Toy Story.  I completely get representing recognizable toys like LiteBright, Etch A Sketch, Barbie/ Ken parts, the screaming cymbal monkey (yes, also from Toy Story, but also a real toy)…those toys were probably in everyone’s  nostalgia files.

Buddy’s team deserved the win for that Dino.  The details, the sugar work, the textures…spot on!  I don’t usually like a lot of Buddy’s stuff, but this one was a winner. Plus, the way Buddy says “CHAW-KO-lit” is like nails on a CHAWK board for me.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Plus I was a little miffed his team copied characters from Toy Story and Rudolph.

And let's not forget Duff's team was throwing shade at Team Buddy in the pirate challenge because they thought their shark look like Team Duff's shark from the min golf challenge. 

I'm trying to think who FN could put up against each of these guys where the styles wouldn't be so mismatched.   A Dan Langan / Duff face could be interesting.  The smug would ooze through the screen.

• LOL 2

I actually heard an interview with Buddy on a podcast .  He not only seems very smart as far as running a business and also creating baker recipes , but he seems like a decent guy, not one bit of superiority or snobbery . In fact , he talked about doing all of the jobs including cleaning toilets when he started working in the bakery. He never we’d allowed to feel above any of the workers he supervised.  
He also seems very charitable and it seems sincere .

Duff seems like a nice guy with the kids on the baking  championship, and not a bad guy , but he definitely us some superiority complex when it comes to his artistic ability . He is very artistic, and his team is good , but it is obvious they do look down on  Buddy and his friends .

It does bug me when I see someone looking down on a person because they are of a certain ethnic group or not very educated formally .  My mom’s family was from Italy and I saw people laughing and smirking at their accents and use of English all the time . Funny thing is , when they needed a good worker at the business she worked for , my mom was always chosen . And my uncle stated a plumbing and electrical company and those families  that mocked my family are now calling him and his sons all the time because they are good at what they do and very honest . 
Education is not all about books !

• Love 4
11 hours ago, orangekit said:

It does bug me when I see someone looking down on a person because they are of a certain ethnic group or not very educated formally .  My mom’s family was from Italy and I saw people laughing and smirking at their accents and use of English all the time . Funny thing is , when they needed a good worker at the business she worked for , my mom was always chosen . And my uncle stated a plumbing and electrical company and those families  that mocked my family are now calling him and his sons all the time because they are good at what they do and very honest . 
Education is not all about books !

Thank you, I had this experience too and so it is a bit of a hot button for me.  Especially back in the day this was not uncommon so that's why Duff's attitude bugs me.

• Love 1
On 9/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, mlp said:

the front of each display is clearly facing the cameras and the TV audience, not the judges. 

It has the face the cameras - that's how the judges are seeing it.  I guess there would be the tv camera and a "computer camera" for lack of a better word - whatever camera they are using to connect to the judges.   I assume when the camera zooms in, the judges are seeing the details just like the TV audience.

I'm not usually Team Buddy but I thought he deserved the win.  Duff's monster was kind of embarrassing-- I totally get what they were going for, but while the individual elements were kinda neat, the overall silhouette was so chunky and amateurish... less than the sum of its parts, IMO.  But I still think Natalie Sideserf can do no wrong-- the baby doll head was a highlight (even though the scale was pretty whackadoo.)

I am 100% not in touch with what's hip and happenin' these days but that "SPECIAL GUEST EMCEE" was absolutely awful.  I've never heard of him before but everything from the outfit to the stilted line readings to the "jokes," it was an endless parade of cringe.  No thanks.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

It has the face the cameras - that's how the judges are seeing it.  I guess there would be the tv camera and a "computer camera" for lack of a better word - whatever camera they are using to connect to the judges.   I assume when the camera zooms in, the judges are seeing the details just like the TV audience.

I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right.  However, I still don't think that judges seeing details piecemeal on a flat screen is equivalent to "up close and personal."

• Love 3

I agree - I am sure it is absolutely more impressive in person and not having live judges probably does have an impact.

As someone who did not enjoy the animosity between Buddy and Duff in the previous seasons, this season was more enjoyable to watch.  Fake or not, if there are additional seasons, I hope the tone stays the same.

• Love 3
On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I agree - I am sure it is absolutely more impressive in person and not having live judges probably does have an impact.

As someone who did not enjoy the animosity between Buddy and Duff in the previous seasons, this season was more enjoyable to watch.  Fake or not, if there are additional seasons, I hope the tone stays the same.

I think a lot of the animosity is to make good tv.  I watched a show about Buddy’s accident and recovery and Buddy said that Duff was one of the first people to call him afterward. Duff called frequently to cheer him on. 

• Love 4