Type keyword(s) to search

Buddy vs. Duff - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow , I have never seen cake boss , or Buddy in any show except Bakers Vs Fakers.

I am Italian , and I can say that Buddy is a bad stereotype of an Italian. First of all, his horrible grammar and speech patterns are cringeworthy ! I understand years ago people didn’t leave their neighborhoods and maybe didn’t even go to school , so they spoke like Buddy, but he’s not that old . He sounds uneducated and ignorant when he speaks .

Then he is such jerk from the start .  Talking smack and insulting Duff.  

Also, he may  be a good baker, but he’s not artistic.  His assistant did most of the sculpting and design .  And the cake did look like a child’s birthday cake .   It was tacky , garish, and childish , just like Buddy himself !

The childish walking out after he lost was just ridiculous and make him look like a bigger jerk than he did throughout the show .

The gold chain necklace just topped off the bad stereotype!

I would rather watch the kids bake and compete , than see some egotistical baker who  feels entitled and can’t be an adult if he doesn’t get his way .

Honestly, Buddy makes the show almost unbearable to watch .

I watch FN and HGTV to  escape obnoxious  things and  people .  Buddy is a horrible person to put on a family network .   I think we have enough horrible role models  including some leaders who whine and cry and insult others if they don’t get their way. Wr don’t need some tacky baker doing the same thing ! Maybe they should think before they put someone like Buddy in a competition. Duff is good natured and fun to watch, but apparently Buddy is short tempered .  Hopefully he will not win! 

• Love 23
10 minutes ago, orangekit said:

Then he is such jerk from the start .  Talking smack and insulting Duff.  

I did the live tweeting with Duff during the show (mostly so I could remember stuff to share here). 

Stuff I tweeted: 

1. Buddy: If we don't win we'll know the fix is in. (Does he work for the White House?)

2. "I'm not a sore loser" is exactly something a sore loser says. It's in the manual. 

3. I've watched Duff on a few different shows...Tomorrow night he'll be cool camp counselor on KBC...Tonight he respectful professional competitor.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, justjen said:

I did the live tweeting with Duff during the show (mostly so I could remember stuff to share here). 

Stuff I tweeted: 

1. Buddy: If we don't win we'll know the fix is in. (Does he work for the White House?)

Haha! Thought the same thing ! It is so tiring seeing these thin skinned man babies who have no class, behave in ways that I would not allow a four year old to act !

The “tough guy”’act , is pathetic !  It’s more like a bunch of childish bullies who can’t handle anything !

Hopefully , kids will see how their peers acts in the kids baking championship and realize the man babies that are like Buddy, or those in other high power positions ,  are not what they should imitate ! 

• Love 7

There was one point where Duff tweeted something like "not tweeting, too fascinated" and I wanted to respond "But you were there!!!" 

But really I thought Buddy was being a jerk because there was some huge age difference with him being in his mid/late 50s and not understanding Duff's style. Now that I realize Buddy is barely a year older than me, I really hope this jerky thing is something he does for the cameras otherwise how does he get through life!

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, justjen said:

There was one point where Duff tweeted something like "not tweeting, too fascinated" and I wanted to respond "But you were there!!!" 

But really I thought Buddy was being a jerk because there was some huge age difference with him being in his mid/late 50s and not understanding Duff's style. Now that I realize Buddy is barely a year older than me, I really hope this jerky thing is something he does for the cameras otherwise how does he get through life!

I read some responses where people said that Buddy is short tempered and kind of a jerk on his own show !

I am sure some people find the “how ya doin’” personality attractive , tough or fun . I find it embarrassing as a person of Italian heritage, and I soooo sick of these men who now think this is somehow ok !

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 7

Buddy did not come off well at all in this. I kinda think the producers hate him and love Duff (as well they should, Duff is awesome). Buddy looks like a whiny man-baby from the beginning and Duff looks like a focused professional. 

• Love 19

I've never watched Buddy before and see I wasn't missing out. What a childish sore loser. I don't care to watch him ever again. It's a shame because I like Duff and always enjoy seeing Geof. 

Edited by Evie
  • Love 9

When my friend's daughter was maybe 9-10 years old, her life-long dream was to have a job in NYC but commute from Hoboken, NJ because that's where Cake Boss was filmed. She was obsessed with it and how she would commute and pass by the shop every day and that would be her dinner. 

Cut to today: She absolutely has a job in NYC and commutes from Hoboken and completely forgot about that "life-long dream" until my friend and I reminded her. She is also now a gluten-free vegan, so I doubt she'll be wasting time and money on such a jerkface (<--technical term).

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

They should change this to a Beat Bobby Flay type of show, with Duff going against some other bakers, not a whiny man-baby like Buddy.     That's was ridiculous to even show.       I can't believe that they are continuing this show, with that kind of behavior.      If that's how he acts on camera, then I wonder what he's like behind the scenes? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, justjen said:

Buddy is only 42 years old.  Duff is actually older than Buddy by 2 years.

• LOL 3

I used to watch Cake Boss and, while I was always horrified by Buddy's grammar, I never saw a nasty side to his personality.  Of course, it was his show so everything he did was always the best and the greatest ever.  He did himself no favors with his behavior last night.

I love Duff.  He always seems like a fundamentally nice, decent person who is never phony.  He has employees who have been with him for many years which tells you something.  (Buddy does too but they're all relatives.)  I hope Duff wins this so convincingly that no one can say that FN showed favoritism.  

• Love 11

I was sort of looking forward to this show and found it so uncomfortable to watch.  I'd never watched Buddy before but he came across as the epitome of arrogance and not someone I want to spend an hour of my time watching.  The whole vibe of the show was weird (odd voice-over announcer) and I felt awful for how disrespectful Buddy was to Duff (who I happen to like very much).  It's like there was zero professional respect from Buddy.  And then the temper tantrum after he lost -- couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I'm probably out after this one episode.  No desire to watch because of Buddy.

• Love 15

I think a difference between Buddy and Duff is that Buddy has worked around family and took over his family business after his dad died (which I'm not saying is easy), while Duff went to culinary school and worked in restaurants under chefs/pastry chefs/non-family and worked his way up, and had to do more to earn his place and respect, so, that's why I feel like Duff has a thicker skin and is more professional. Family will not always call you out or want to hurt your feelings. Buddy being the boss of the shop from a young age, he's in charge, and not used to being challenged or criticized.

• Love 15

It's funny, as much as I find Duff to be a ray of sunshine, I wasn't going to watch this because of Buddy. Then I figured I have never watched Buddy in anything, so I was probably being irrational. Nope. I must have seen just enough of him to pick up on something ugly in his personality. I don't know if I'm going to watch again. I have no desire to see Buddy preen and smack talk, sulk and storm off, and I would hate to see Duff lose to him. Maybe I'll spoil myself and only watch the shows when Duff wins. I just can't stand Buddy. 

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Darian said:

It's funny, as much as I find Duff to be a ray of sunshine, I wasn't going to watch this because of Buddy. Then I figured I have never watched Buddy in anything, so I was probably being irrational. Nope. I must have seen just enough of him to pick up on something ugly in his personality. I don't know if I'm going to watch again. I have no desire to see Buddy preen and smack talk, sulk and storm off, and I would hate to see Duff lose to him. Maybe I'll spoil myself and only watch the shows when Duff wins. I just can't stand Buddy. 

I could have written every single word in your post.  My experience/thoughts exactly!  I'm going to skip the remaining shows, follow here, and if it turns out that Duff wins, I *might* watch the last show after the fact.  I can't take any more time with Buddy along the way.

• Love 8

I was really looking forward to this show because I love competitive cooking shows and especially cake decorating. I'll admit, I've been a fan of Duff since Ace of Cakes days, and while I watched Cake Boss sometimes, I didn't love them the way I loved Duff and his team (especially Geoff and Mary Alice - wonder what she's up to now). That being said, I didn't really enjoy it. One of the things I like about Top Chef, Beat Bobby Flay and X Baking Championships that while there are egos, most of the people are competitive but pleasant and supportive. I didn't expect Buddy to be such an aggressively sore looser and it made me uncomfortable. I really hope that it was producer shenanigans to amp up the drama (it's been years since either Ace of Cakes or Cake Boss have been on the air) but it felt a little too sincere.

• Love 8

This thing didn't look good from the promos, and it was below expectations.  Watching two guys talk smack can be mildly entertaining when it's generally good natured (think some of the back and forth on Beat Bobby Flay).   But when it's scripted bullshit posturing it's just annoying.   But based on the first episode, this was legitimate because I don't think either of those guys is that good an actor.   And if it's actual dislike between the two, it's not comfortable to watch.    It started with Duff saying he never watched an episode of Cake Boss and went downhill from there.   It's clear Buddy thinks Duff is some primadonna to his nose-to-the-grindstone self and Duff thinks Buddy is a loudmouthed jerk.   I had to laugh when the announcer (who is trying way too hard) said this was the showdown everyone had been asking for.  Uh, no.   Sherry and Keegan sure.

The weirdest thing was Buddy flipping out when he lost.   What the hell was that?  Was he mad at the car guy for not picking him because they were buds? Was his ego just that out of control?  Was he under the impression he was "supposed" to win?   I'm surprised Food Network would let one of their stars be shown in such a bad light or even hint at the scripted judging that goes on with these shows.   Whatever the reason, Buddy looked like a damn 10 year old fool, especially since his cake was beyond lame.  It looked like something Weekend at Bernie's adjacent where someone tried to put a bust of the guy in a kiddie car and parade it around as him.   Oh, and those flashing lights.  Nothing says 'decorated by Spencer's Gifts' like those.

I feel most sorry for Sherry Yard because she has to find 12 different ways to say "oh, it was sooo close because you're both soooo good.  It came down to the tiniest of details."   

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Sorry, but this show felt completely contrived. It was especially convenient for Buddy to stalk off angrily and then argue with the executive producer so that he'd be perfectly framed in the background as Sherry and the host so bravely tried to save face. Oh, please. If this isn't a scripted reality show, I don't know what is. Any takers on whether they end up in a tie after 12 rounds of competition? 

• Love 7

I think Buddy is jealous that Duff has been on more shows and is more well known.  Someone mentioned Buddy acting like a 10 year old, but the 10 year olds on the cooking competitions I watch, are much more mature than Buddy.  And they support each other.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, mlp said:

I used to watch Cake Boss and, while I was always horrified by Buddy's grammar, I never saw a nasty side to his personality.  Of course, it was his show so everything he did was always the best and the greatest ever.  He did himself no favors with his behavior last night.

I love Duff.  He always seems like a fundamentally nice, decent person who is never phony.  He has employees who have been with him for many years which tells you something.  (Buddy does too but they're all relatives.)  I hope Duff wins this so convincingly that no one can say that FN showed favoritism.  

I'll give the convenient scoring a pass for the first week, but if they are going to have Buddy/Duff win the pre-heat and the other the main challenge and end up with tied total scores, I'm out. Do the scores end up being cumulative?

• Love 2

I remember back in the old cake competitions food network used to have (where they had 8 hours, the cakes were prebaked, Kerry Vincent was one of the judges...the good old days) Buddy was on several and I always hated him then too, and this is years ago! He would always make absolutely huge cakes that to my eye never really followed the challenges.

He is definitely one of those "size matters" people - it was true all those years ago and it's true now. I've watched some cake boss, I've watched his next great baker show, nothing he's done has ever made me like him. And I can't stand how he says "FON DONT"...ug...

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I think Buddy is jealous that Duff has been on more shows and is more well known.  Someone mentioned Buddy acting like a 10 year old, but the 10 year olds on the cooking competitions I watch, are much more mature than Buddy.  And they support each other.

I’d be willing to bet that to the general public, Buddy is far more well known from Cake Boss than Duff is. He’s well known enough to have a sort of national chain of bakeries. Duff’s profile lately seems to be limited to judging FN baking shows.

I will have to buck the trend and say I was pretty amused by this episode. I do wonder though how much is staged, like Buddy’s walkout, as another poster said.

Duff’s strudel was one of the oddest I’ve seen, with way too little filling to pastry, mire like an appetizer than a dessert. Buddy’s lobster tails were humongous - do I sense a theme to this show?

While Buddy’s cake was too big and sort of crude, I also thought Duff’s cake was not that great - too small, worse fondant seams than Buddy, mechanics didn’t work, and he wasted too much time on overly intricate artwork, which left the rest of the car underdecorated. I can see why Buddy thought he should win.

I was glad to see that Duff’s decorator is still with him, who I remember from his original series (I don’t watch much FN anymore).

19 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

I think a difference between Buddy and Duff is that Buddy has worked around family and took over his family business after his dad died (which I'm not saying is easy), while Duff went to culinary school and worked in restaurants under chefs/pastry chefs/non-family and worked his way up, and had to do more to earn his place and respect, so, that's why I feel like Duff has a thicker skin and is more professional. Family will not always call you out or want to hurt your feelings. Buddy being the boss of the shop from a young age, he's in charge, and not used to being challenged or criticized.

No offense but I will take the opposite side. I grew up working with family & learned to have responsibility & respect. I'm a pro baker now, & it's amazing how much customers love the respect I show them back. Buddy showed no respect Richard Rawlings, Duff, Sherry, & the rest of the guests, when he walked out like a whiny sore loser.  He was this way on the old Cake Challenge also. Apparently Buddy has not learned anything since then. He acted superior when he was arrested too. A little humble goes a long way. I felt bad for Duff standing there, like his cake didn't deserve it-according to Buddy & his family.  I use to watch Buddy's old show that had his family on it. I used to think they added the "drama' as many shows do. But after a while seeing this attitude on many shows-apparently not so made up. 

I will say I also would have preferred Duff's strudel over the lobster tails. I'm Sicilian & my grandmama never made those. My mum always said there needs to be "oomph" in a dessert.

• Love 9

So this is what Discovery's acquisition of Scripps gets us. I'm probably more a fan of Richard Rawlings than I am of either Buddy or Duff. I wasn't planning to watch this until I saw Richard was going to be on it. I figured they were stacking the deck to bring Discovery viewers over to Food Network. But Richard was so toned down as to be nearly unrecognizable and neither design featured his brand, Gas Monkey. Richard is so brand-focused I was really surprised at that. Maybe they couldn't? (Did they say? I missed some of the challenge discussion and I'm not willing to watch again to check.)

I'd only seen Buddy from Bakers and Fakers and Duff from his endless judging/hosting stints on FN so I wasn't sure what to expect from them as bakers. I wasn't particularly impressed with either of them.

Hell, I even watch Worst Cooks in America, but FN has finally put together something I find unwatchable.

• Love 2

I can’t help wonder if the over the top competitiveness and behavior is all staged to get hype and ratings .

At one point they showed on screen out what a producer asked one of the bakers , and it looked like they were trying to get s crazy response .

Even the promos and  opening are made to look like a boxing match.

Bobby Flay is supposedly one of the most egotistical people on FN, and he still is gracious on Beat Bobby Flay .

i have a feeling that they are being encouraged to over react and create drama .

But, Buddy and his horrible Rocky grammar and gold chain gross me out ! I am part Italian and he is the bad stereotype that my brothers have had to fight their whole lives because Of an Italian last name and looks . 

• Love 6

I agree with all the comments that Buddy is the worst and Duff is awesome. I just love him.  I just wanted to mention - I have watched many baking and cooking competitions and when Sherry tasted Buddy's sfogliatelle, that was the first time I've ever heard someone praise being able to taste "all the shortening" in a pastry. I get it is practical, but there's no arguing the taste of butter is superior. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, marmalade said:

I can’t help wonder if the over the top competitiveness and behavior is all staged to get hype and ratings .

At one point they showed on screen out what a producer asked one of the bakers , and it looked like they were trying to get s crazy response .

Even the promos and  opening are made to look like a boxing match.

Bobby Flay is supposedly one of the most egotistical people on FN, and he still is gracious on Beat Bobby Flay .

i have a feeling that they are being encouraged to over react and create drama .

But, Buddy and his horrible Rocky grammar and gold chain gross me out ! I am part Italian and he is the bad stereotype that my brothers have had to fight their whole lives because Of an Italian last name and looks . 

If Buddy was never like he was on this show, I might think it was something staged. But he is always like that. Every comp show he has been on, he's been an a$$. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, luvapickle said:

If Buddy was never like he was on this show, I might think it was something staged. But he is always like that. Every comp show he has been on, he's been an a$$. 

Oh wow ! I have never seen him compete on any other show .

He is so unlikable , and think Duff and his crazy friends are very likable and seem like nice people .

• Love 6
5 hours ago, luvapickle said:

But he is always like that.

I could never watch his show because all of the screaming and tantrums and hysteria was just too much to take.  I know that there are families (I think his sisters were nearly as bad) like that but they were so over the top it was disturbing.  He's a jerk.

Duff, on the other hand, always seems to be upbeat and funny.  If things go wrong he doesn't go ballistic like Buddy does.  I think I'd like to know him in "real" life.  He has a great laugh. 

I don't think Buddy knows how to laugh at all.

• Love 9

The initial round of pastries made from super-thin sheets of dough was correctly judged,  IMO. Duff shouldn't have altered the family recipe!

But it wasn't even CLOSE with the Car Cakes! Buddy went big (and went home,  heh) and cartoony. Duff went for artistry and accuracy.  Score Round 2 for Duff!

• Love 2
On 3/11/2019 at 10:52 AM, orangekit said:

I watch FN and HGTV to  escape obnoxious  things and  people .  Buddy is a horrible person to put on a family network .   I think we have enough horrible role models  including some leaders who whine and cry and insult others if they don’t get their way. Wr don’t need some tacky baker doing the same thing ! Maybe they should think before they put someone like Buddy in a competition. Duff is good natured and fun to watch, but apparently Buddy is short tempered .  Hopefully he will not win! 

Just have to say - I'm surprised if you escape obnoxious people on HGTV. I feel like they find some of the worst people to be on their shows. Particularly the various House Hunters. But hosts on some of the shows are also pretty obnoxious. FN I think is generally better. 

Not sure if I will keep watching this. I was intrigued initially, but I'm not sure I can take so many episodes. I always loved Duff's show, but I don't see how they can drag out just the two of them competing in a way that is interesting. I did also watch Cake Boss. He really irritated me at the start but I kept watching for some reason and kind of softened towards him. Still never liked him to the extent that I like Duff, and if his reactions on this were real than that's ridiculous. I hadn't seen him on other competition shows.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, mlp said:

I've always liked Duff. I watch most of the shows he's been on, either baking his cakes or judging the kids bake-offs. He seems to be a good-hearted gracious man who is on the positive side of life. 

On the other hand, I cannot stand to watch Buddy. He's always rude, crude, and arrogant. Buddy is a conceited ass who is cringe inducing. 

The reason I'm watching this show is to see Duff. He's a detail person. He knows his stuff. I LOVED that he knew that about the guest car guy and showcased the muscle car lowrider. I wish the hydraulics had worked so we could watch the car bounce up and down. 

I agree with the idea the other poster had to create a show like Beat Bobby Flay but call it something like Defeat Duff.  I can see that being a good-natured show that would showcase baking talent of all kinds. 

I'm cheering for Team Duff!

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I agree with the idea the other poster had to create a show like Beat Bobby Flay but call it something like Defeat Duff.  I can see that being a good-natured show that would showcase baking talent of all kinds. 

I would totally watch that.

• Love 8

I agree with everyone!!! Buddy has always been a jerk when he didn't win, or when it didn't go his way. Cake Boss was his baby and he was always shown in a positive light (at least I think he was), especially when his mom passed, but his sisters are THE WORST!! They are so spoiled and lazy. They sound like Italian Valley Girls, they dress like Hoboken Hotties, and they, like Buddy, are rude, arrogant, over entitled, and boorish! I can remember Buddy from the FN Challenges, that I don't think he ever won, and he would give the judges the worst looks when he didn't win. I am not watching the Buddy vs Duff shows any more, even tho I love Duff, because I can't stand Buddy!!!

• Love 5

Once Cake Boss got more popular Buddy seemed a lot more arrogant than in the beginning.

I thought this show would be “all in good fun”  just professionals having a friendly competition. My 10 year old watches a lot of these cooking/baking shows but left halfway through as it was to “mean” for her.

Hopefully, this weird competitive vibe lessons or I am out as that was an uncomfortable hour of tv.

Maybe it should have been Sylvia Weinstock vs Duff as that would have been a hoot as she is so funny on Nailed It and I think it would have been a more playful competition.

• Love 4

Just saw the first episode.  During the cake baking, every other sentence uttered by Buddy was something snotty about Duff.  Duff, on the other hand, talked about what he was doing and why.  The braggart vs. the professional.

• Love 12

Buddy is such an ass. And his lack of insight will never allow him to recognize how childish and obnoxious he is. 

Buddy is like a kid who is losing at Monopoly and suddenly announces “this game is stupid!” and flips the board over he doesn’t have to lose. 

Grow up. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, howiveaddict said:

I think Buddy is jealous that Duff has been on more shows and is more well known.  

My initial reaction to hearing that this show existed was to wonder if Cake Boss (because I had no recall of his actual name) had gotten over his inferiority complex that his show was created in reaction to the popularity of Ace of Cakes and a network wanting to capitalize that.  I no longer remember if that was a rivalry that really existed back when both shows were airing.  But I do recall checking out his show back then and finding it unwatchable and his cakes big, flashy, and poorly designed and executed and comparing it in my head to Ace of Cakes and everything coming out lacking for Cake Boss.

I was expecting Duff to be a class act.  I was expecting Buddy to talk crap constantly and be a poor competitor and loser.  But he really did manage to sink lower than I expected, the unprofessional egomaniac.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 8
On 3/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, ShortyMac said:

Excellent point, a head pastry chef won’t hesitate to call out the new guy...while it looks like the employees won’t say anything negative to the owners son.  Duff probably witnessed his cake thrown in the garbage while Buddy watched his cake no matter how bad wheeled out and served.

Edited by Bunnyette
  • Love 2

So I guess Buddy's temper tantrum last week caused them to add a judge so there would be a consensus to offset his future bullshit.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch this again.

I loathe Buddy.  Loathe him.  I think he is toxic waste as a human being.

But what is bothering me most is that that this is clearly not scripted.  Duff can't hide how horrible this working environment is for him.  I don't think I can watch it.  Cooking shows aren't supposed to make you feel this bad.

• Love 9

Duff's cake was so much better than Buddy's. I can't stand Buddy either. I love cake decorating shows, and I've watched them all, the cake challenge show, then Duff's show, which I loved, then Buddy's. Add me to the list of people who can't stand Buddy. He's loud, obnoxious and comes across as dumb. 

• Love 6