Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Trampoline

• Start Topic

Everything has pretty much been said - loved Claire channeling Shaun, hated Glassman the stalker, appalled by the At Last kiss (though I do like them together), like Carly, glad Lea wasn't the object of Shaun's affections, and am beginning to think Park may make a better cop than doctor (although he missed a bunch of clues).

But again, the far-fetchedness of this show makes me batty. So a doctor who was fired is allowed to roam around the hospital from which he was fired ordering tests and visiting patients? Not likely. The bar brawl, Shaun's injuries and the patient's hidden diagnosis seemed very hastily thrown together. The writing and pacing on this show is so uneven, it's hard to stay with it.

• Love 3

I did not see Andrews of all people going to bat for Shaun. That was unexpected and nice.  I am glad to see that Dr. Dick is fired.  DDK did a great job playing that character because I really hated him.

That kiss with Lim and Melendez was so weird and awkward that I was sure that we were watching someone's daydream.  I was shocked that it was real, because it was poorly done.  I like that Melendez found out that Lim was being offered the job and then booked over to her pronto to make sure that she would take the job if it was offered BEFORE she was actually offered the position.  It will be interesting to see how this affects their relationship now because she is now his boss.

I felt really sorry for Ida.  She was clearly so lonely and sad that she had to make up lies to pretend that her life was better than it was.  I agree with other posters that she needed a referral to a therapist (at minimum).

With Glassman, I wanted Debbie to tell him: "OK, you know what?  I'm willing to try dating you again and we'll see how it goes, but I am NOT marrying you anytime soon."  The writers have made her look like an idiot with a man who won't take no for an answer.  I really don't like how this plotline is going at all.

I absolutely loved the look on Lea's face when Shaun asked if he looked nice and then left to go see Carly with his loot.  I really hope that they just keep them as good friends and roommates and that she doesn't get all weird and hurt now because she had her chance!

Good for Shaun that he went to ask Carly on a date.  That is nerve wracking enough for anybody to do for the first time and for Shaun it would be so much harder.  Thank goodness she said yes!  But if I was Carly, I would have called him back to give me the flowers and the chocolate!

Looking forward to next season.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, MVN-Hokies said:

According to David Shore (writer/producer), that has technically not been decided yet. He was interviewed about it: 

How do you expect this relationship to affect their dynamic going forward now that she’s chief?
I think it absolutely will affect it, and that’s what we’re going to have to explore. As they say in that scene, either one of them resigns or they break up. Or, the third choice, which they don’t mention in that scene, is that they go back to lying to everybody. Choices have to be made and certainly, certainly it’s going to affect their relationship. That’s where the fun happens.

Oh!!! I don't want them to break up. 😞 I really like them together.. I didn't expect to, it just happened!! 🙂

• Love 5
6 hours ago, mookster said:

But again, the far-fetchedness of this show makes me batty. So a doctor who was fired is allowed to roam around the hospital from which he was fired ordering tests and visiting patients? Not likely. The bar brawl, Shaun's injuries and the patient's hidden diagnosis seemed very hastily thrown together.

I was thinking about that, too, while watching :p. And I liked Glassman and Lea being by Shaun's side while he was in the hospital bed, but I would've also liked to see Shaun's co-workers talking more about this and showing a bit more concern as well. Maybe since they knew he was ultimately going to be okay, that made it easier for them to handle in some ways, but still...

• Love 1
On 3/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Yay for Claire being a hero again!...figuring out the patients true diagnosis by putting herself into Shaun's mindset (enjoyable scene).

On 3/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, tennisgurl said:

Good episode in general for Claire, loved how she used Shaun think to save the day...

My husband exclaimed, "She Murphed it!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Carly is the woman who is head of pathology.  Shaun worked for her when he was sent to the path lab to work.  He went and asked her out on a date at the end of the episode, which I guess is ok since he's back in surgery and no longer working for her.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, izabella said:

Carly is the woman who is head of pathology.  Shaun worked for her when he was sent to the path lab to work.  He went and asked her out on a date at the end of the episode, which I guess is ok since he's back in surgery and no longer working for her.

Oh right, now I remember, thanks.

• Love 1

Is whatever Zach had so incredibly rare, so obscure that the doctors couldn't go to a medical dictionary and look up things that sound like trampoline?  Why did they immediately assume that Shaun was making some type of enigmatic connection between a medical condition and a trampoline?  Especially since Shaun tends to use the complex polysyllabic medical terminology and then one of the others puts it in terms the viewer can understand.  Like so - Shaun:  Patient A has glioblastoma.  Claire;  You think he has brain cancer?

The entire Glassman/Debbie interaction at her door was ludicrous.  She goes from "you barely know me" to agreeing to marry him in less than 90 seconds. She was right, they don't really know each other.  Weren't they on their first date when he suddenly exhibited symptoms of his cancer?  And since then he's had surgery and treatments and they've gone long periods of time with little to no interaction. Is this really the basis for a commitment such as marriage?  Glassman has been on a rollercoaster ride of moods & emotions, and I would be afraid that he was in the midst of euphoria due to being told he is cancer-free, and who knows what he will be like in 3 months, 6 months, a year . . . oh yeah, we barely know each other.  

• Love 4

I was ready to give up on this show completely, but then the last scene happened. That was magical. Only good thing in the whole season, but still worth it. I might watch next season, after all. Just for a little glimpse of that magic.

Because oh, God, this show is so bad it hurts. I cringe all the time at how bad the writing is and how ridiculous the plots are. Lim and Melendez kissing in front of everyone? Claire channeling Shaun? Andrews firing Han because of Shaun, and not because he's unethical manipulative blackmailer? No one mentioning a lawyer for Shaun? Glassmann proposing  on a whim and the girl saying yes? Please, Brazilian soap operas are better than this.

Also, Park is dead to me. I hate that the show wants us to sympathize with him, because he was so wrong. Doesn't matter if the sweet old lady was faking it, that's not the way to treat an elder person. You never ever justify anything by saying they're JUST OLD.

For the record, last time someone told my 95-year-old mother she was just old, she almost died from an intestinal obstruction. 

Thank God I took her to a real doctor and she got surgery. She's fine now, but not because of doctors like Park. He can go to hell.

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 3

You know, I really only put this show on because I wanted something I didn't need to pay close attention to on while I did stuff around the house. I'm not a fan of med dramas and I'm not into romance unless it's in the midst of a zombie apocalypse or a violent medieval fantasy world (GoT 4-eva). But I fell head over heels in love with this show, and Sean. Even the characters I don't like (Glassman, Han), I don't hate. I'm sad the season is over already.

• Love 4

It took me a week to reel from that finale! I really liked the outcome for Shaun. He got his job back, Dr. Han was fired (though the reason of sentimental value from Andrews was wrong; he needed to be fired for making too many detrimental decisions that would eventually destroy the dynamic that makes St. Bonaventure a successful hospital, plus he was unprofessional in not showing up to his welcome brunch when he was first hired), and he asked out Carly and got a yes! Very happy about that; I always viewed her as someone who would be a really really good friend to Shaun given that she knows how to talk to him and seems to understand what he goes through daily.

As much as I also like Lea, I don't think she is interested in Shaun that way, or at least she hasn't given any vibes this season that she is. In Season 1 she gave off a few vibes, but they've gone away.

Am I going to go into another season side-eying Reznick? She turned around and seemed to be doing better with just focusing on the patients and not competing with fellow doctors. But these last two episodes, we saw some of the old Reznick, as she dropped a few comments on doing what it took to nose ahead of the others. Hopefully for the most part, she keeps the character development she made and doesn't go back to solely competing like in Season 1. Speaking of development...

I've seen comments, some here and some on YouTube videos of this show, that people were surprised that Dr. Andrews stood up for Shaun. I'm not so surprised, though. You could see as Season 1 went on that Andrews gained respect for Shaun and his abilities. He liked Shaun enough to assist him in the mingling at the big gala last season, and he gave Shaun a chance to improve his communication skills at the start of the season. Dr. Han would have just left Shaun hanging in both situations, and used it to claim that Shaun didn't belong in Surgery (it was mostly the way he went about that that bothered me more than the fact that he did it; he used things that weren't that big of a deal for his rationale, like Shaun telling that mother bad news in what caused her baby's problems).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Virtual said:

It took me a week to reel from that finale! I really liked the outcome for Shaun. He got his job back, Dr. Han was fired (though the reason of sentimental value from Andrews was wrong; he needed to be fired for making too many detrimental decisions that would eventually destroy the dynamic that makes St. Bonaventure a successful hospital, plus he was unprofessional in not showing up to his welcome brunch when he was first hired), and he asked out Carly and got a yes! Very happy about that; I always viewed her as someone who would be a really really good friend to Shaun given that she knows how to talk to him and seems to understand what he goes through daily.

Absolutely agree.  She gets Shaun.  "Not better"...oh Shaun.

As much as I also like Lea, I don't think she is interested in Shaun that way, or at least she hasn't given any vibes this season that she is. In Season 1 she gave off a few vibes, but they've gone away.

I never liked that.  It felt painful for me given I have a son on the spectrum and it felt like the writers gaslit him.  It felt false her giving out sexual vibes and then reneging

Am I going to go into another season side-eying Reznick? She turned around and seemed to be doing better with just focusing on the patients and not competing with fellow doctors. But these last two episodes, we saw some of the old Reznick, as she dropped a few comments on doing what it took to nose ahead of the others. Hopefully for the most part, she keeps the character development she made and doesn't go back to solely competing like in Season 1. Speaking of development...

Yeah pretty erratic their writing of her.  A good foil for Shaun but pretty inconsistent

I've seen comments, some here and some on YouTube videos of this show, that people were surprised that Dr. Andrews stood up for Shaun. I'm not so surprised, though. You could see as Season 1 went on that Andrews gained respect for Shaun and his abilities. He liked Shaun enough to assist him in the mingling at the big gala last season, and he gave Shaun a chance to improve his communication skills at the start of the season. Dr. Han would have just left Shaun hanging in both situations, and used it to claim that Shaun didn't belong in Surgery (it was mostly the way he went about that that bothered me more than the fact that he did it; he used things that weren't that big of a deal for his rationale, like Shaun telling that mother bad news in what caused her baby's problems).

Agreed.  He could have fired Shaun at the end of Series 1 but he just gave him a dressing down for his communication.  Andrews was a true mensch at the gala.  And he continuously rags on Han about Shaun's manifest abilities (he saved another life)...Seems to me it's implied he has been keeping more than a weather eye on Shaun.  Shore has said Andrews will "factor" in Season 3.  Does that mean Andrews will lose his job saving Shaun?  That's quite the redemptive arc.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

Agreed.  He could have fired Shaun at the end of Series 1 but he just gave him a dressing down for his communication.  Andrews was a true mensch at the gala.  And he continuously rags on Han about Shaun's manifest abilities (he saved another life)...Seems to me it's implied he has been keeping more than a weather eye on Shaun.  Shore has said Andrews will "factor" in Season 3.  Does that mean Andrews will lose his job saving Shaun?  That's quite the redemptive arc.  

I doubt he'll lose his job, but I would not be surprised if the board created a new position to offload some stuff off of Andrews given his bad choice of hiring Han and inability to pick a head Surgeon before that.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 11:37 PM, bros402 said:

I doubt he'll lose his job, but I would not be surprised if the board created a new position to offload some stuff off of Andrews given his bad choice of hiring Han and inability to pick a head Surgeon before that.

Which could create a space for Glassman to rejoin the staff.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ForReal said:

Which could create a space for Glassman to rejoin the staff.

Yup! Have Andrews handle a lot of the medical of PR stuff, Glassy can help with the administrative.

Just a few quick thoughts since I missed most of the back half of the season.

1) Very skeptical of the narrative 180 that Lea is suddenly interested in/pining for Shaun. At most, she just wants Shaun's attention and gets off on being unattainable to him. As a disabled person who has been strung along multiple times into believing an able person might have interest in you, once they withhold any actual reciprocity once, it's never happening and you're just being used as a well of validation for their ego,  I hope Shaun has incredibly loud sex with Carly in front of Lea every episode next season.

2. Melendez and Lim was...weird and bizarrely somehow a wet blanket on their own sexual chemistry? The initial idea of them was super sexy and the actors originally had great chemistry, but all I saw was a bunch of hand-wringing about how they shouldn't be together until they weren't anymore. Womp.

3. Writers, for the love of God, Glassman is not Don Draper. He's a pathetic old man. Please stop assuming we care about him and his feelings and his bullshit existentialism. So does this mean the C-plot of every other episode will permanently be devoted to his self-pitying crises? Hard pass.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, grommit2 said:

Well, now I know how to be a doctor.
Just get a step stool and stand next to the patient.
All the solutions will float above your head.
Fascinating.

No, because Claire is not only already a doctor, she's a good doctor.  Get to her level and then get a step-stool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, jhlipton said:

No, because Claire is not only already a doctor, she's a good doctor.  Get to her level and then get a step-stool.

Geez...HUMOR... It was meant to be FUNNY.
Gadzooks, take a chill pill, play with the dog, pet the cat, relax, man, relax. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Just a few quick thoughts

1) Very skeptical of the narrative 180 that Lea is suddenly interested in/pining for Shaun.

2. Melendez and Lim was...weird

3. Writers, for the love of God, Glassman is not Don Draper. He's a pathetic old man.

I agree with the first two.  I really hope that this doesn't turn into a fight for Shaun's affections.  I hope that Lea is friend enough to recognize that Carly cares for Shaun a whole lot more than she ever did.

The visit to the HR officer is another borrow from House, with House and Cuddy doing the same thing in the sixth season.  That carousel of kisses was kind of corny, especially in front of the hospital staff. 

I am sorry to say it, I am corny.  I thought that the dreamy eloquent appeal that Glassman made to Debbie was purely romantic - I could almost feel the wind blowing by as they drive on to whatever beach or someplace incredibly beautiful.  He may not be Don Draper - and I am 100% glad he isn't, because I never liked Draper - but he can be very clear about his true feelings, as he expressed them not just to Debbie, but on behalf of Shaun so many times. 

And I am glad that Dr Han is going away.  At least he made himself a formidable antagonist for the show, not only threatening Shaun's place in the hospital, but also threatening blackmail when he doesn't get his way. He was not unlike House's Vogler in the first year.   If he stayed, he could make the hospital a very yukky place to work.  Now we just have to deal with Reznick.

• Love 3
On 3/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Just a few quick thoughts since I missed most of the back half of the season.

1) Very skeptical of the narrative 180 that Lea is suddenly interested in/pining for Shaun. At most, she just wants Shaun's attention and gets off on being unattainable to him. As a disabled person who has been strung along multiple times into believing an able person might have interest in you, once they withhold any actual reciprocity once, it's never happening and you're just being used as a well of validation for their ego,  I hope Shaun has incredibly loud sex with Carly in front of Lea every episode next season.

2. Melendez and Lim was...weird and bizarrely somehow a wet blanket on their own sexual chemistry? The initial idea of them was super sexy and the actors originally had great chemistry, but all I saw was a bunch of hand-wringing about how they shouldn't be together until they weren't anymore. Womp.

3. Writers, for the love of God, Glassman is not Don Draper. He's a pathetic old man. Please stop assuming we care about him and his feelings and his bullshit existentialism. So does this mean the C-plot of every other episode will permanently be devoted to his self-pitying crises? Hard pass.

Well, Snark. I disagree on several points.  As a woman who was kind to everyone and treated everyone with the same respect, whether they were the geek, the tubby asthmatic, the shunned kid or the school quarterback, I became the object of affection for many young men who interpreted my kindness as an invitation I was interested in dating them.  It made for some awkward situations.  Lea's biggest mistake was having Shaun kiss her. I would never have done that. That was stupid, misleading and later, cruel. 

But in real life, guys strike out all the time and so do girls, but I had to give those bold young men credit for having the courage to ask me, even though the answer was going to be, "No."   

Now in the Shaun/Lea flower and chocolate scene, I think Lea was just surprised at the turn of events, especially after Glassy had told her again how much Shaun liked/loved her.  I think she'll be relieved and not jealous that Shaun has found a better place to put his affection.

Second, Melendez and Lim actually worked for me.  I found their relationship much more warm and affectionate and sexy than the previous one with the hospital attorney. That previous pairing just felt cold and institutional and unhappy.

Re Dr. Glassman;  I think he is a terrific actor and a very sympathetic character.  There is so much unresolved pain and sadness in his eyes. A lifetime of it.  I totally get his feelings and why he pushes people away who care for him because he is afraid to allow himself to love again because of the potential loss that may follow.  He is a very smart and deep-thinking man and with his recent cancer experiences, has learned to let down his guard and embrace people and life. I understand his reasons for deciding to stop wasting time and to go after some happiness with whatever time he has left.  I can say that I have liked every scene he has been in and he is one of my favorite characters.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Casually Observant said:

Now in the Shaun/Lea flower and chocolate scene, I think Lea was just surprised at the turn of events, especially after Glassy had told her again how much Shaun liked/loved her.  I think she'll be relieved and not jealous that Shaun has found a better place to put his affection.

This is what David Shore says about that scene: "She’s confused. Is she jealous? I don’t know… There’s disappointment, even though I don’t think she was going to say yes… I love Shaun as much as she does, but you’re constantly trying to keep up with what’s going on in that head of his".

I think like most people there is a mix of emotions.  While Shaun isn't her pet he is a constant in her chaotic life and the whole theme of the series is the positive effect that Shaun has on others.  That constant has suddenly changed.  I'm looking forward to the next series.

• Love 1