Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Premiere

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, millennium said:

Karlie Kloss was refreshing, so was the purple magazine editor.   The Brandon guy with the 3-D glasses?  Been there, done that.

Kovid is annoying as fuck.   So is Hester Sunshine.   And Frankie.    I know there are many contestants right now but I felt it wasn't right to focus only on the loudmouths and drama queens while relegating many of the more reserved and serious designers to the nameless/faceless zone.

I don't miss Heidi.   I don't miss Tim.

I still miss Michael Kors. 

I will always miss TIM.    I forgot the name of the woman who designed that magnificent gray dress/shawl.   Too many people at this point.   It was so classy and beautifully done.   I think she came in  second or third?   I was not crazy about the winner's work.  Thought those white straps were too weird.   Had a hard time seeing the picture Nina provided.  Wish she had chosen something different.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Michichick said:

I missed part of the episode. What did Frankie’s ex-boyfriend do to her?

Near the beginning of the episode, Frankie said that three months ago, she was about to move to Chicago with her boyfriend of nine years. The night before they were supposed to leave, he broke up with her.

Later in the episode, she said that she lost her boyfriend, her dog, and her home all at once (I’m assuming they had already given notice to the landlord at their current place so she couldn’t just move back in). She’s been couch surfing since then while she tries to get her life back together. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

From what I recall she quit her job and prepared to move to Chicago to live with him, and then he dumped her. She had to couch surf for awhile.

Yes, after being together for 9 years if I recall correctly.  I think she dodged a bullet !

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I will always miss TIM.    

He always seemed a bit phony to me, like much of his caring and concern about the contestants was for the cameras.   He was also pretty good at tearing down the show and some of its contestants in off-season interviews, yet he rarely stood up for his opinions during the show itself.

I didn't see Under the Gunn, but he seemed to lose a lot of credibility with regular PR viewers as a result of that series. 

• Love 9

I must watch too much reality tv because I'm shocked Cavanaugh and her red soled shoes and hair flip got the boot.  They ALWAYS establish the drama and keep them around.....for the drama.  Bonus points if the person is actually not self aware at all and isn't putting on just to extend their stay on the show for the drama.   Gads I'm "reality show cynical!"

I can't believe they aren't using tablets....no HP sponsor?   Yapping about social media and all that LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
Just now, millennium said:

He always seemed a bit phony to me, like much of his caring and concern about the contestants was for the cameras.   He was also pretty good at tearing down the show and some of its contestants in off-season interviews, yet he rarely stood up for his opinions during the show itself.

I didn't see Under the Gunn, but he seemed to lose a lot of credibility with regular PR viewers as a result of that series. 

That is true about Under the Gunn.   I liked Tim from day 1, but as time went on he was disgusted with the  choices of winners, and justified in some cases, IMO.   I found him to be generally courteous and encouraging.   The last few years some of his "mentoring" was questionable.  I think Christian is going to do a good job...   He is amazingly talented, but was a bit of a pain in the neck on his season, youth being what it is.  I was pleased to see him give some great advice.  I hope it continues. 

Tim did not say much negatively in public,  for a long time after the viewers were pretty disappointed with some of the winners, as I recall.  There was one hour long radio interview by some young woman in New York, who presented another side of Tim's life and I enjoyed it immensely.  Wish I could think of her name.  I bet you could Goggle it....  it explained a lot about his personality and background.  He is a bit of a fuss budget and rigid in his routine, to say the least, but I always liked him and Heidi adores him.

• Love 4

The show feels fresh again.   There was a certain pompous dark heaviness at All Stars on Lifetime.  The attitude.  The fakiness.  The beautiful Georgina Chapman, founder of Marchesa.   That whole show was greasy and I'm not sure why.

I liked Christian the first time around...sure he was his young immature self but he was also a budding designer and hair dresser.   Glad he found his stride in real adulthood.  I hope he's a great mentor.   I still remember them collecting all kinds of denim in a warehouse and he made the most amazing leggings and jacket in what seemed like 5 minutes.   He was awesome at sewing.

The new judges seem great so far.   I love the variety in size and shapes of models.

The guy who was helping the girl who was constantly crying was a hoot....the looks he was giving the camera was comedy gold.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I must watch too much reality tv because I'm shocked Cavanaugh and her red soled shoes and hair flip got the boot.  They ALWAYS establish the drama and keep them around.....for the drama.  Bonus points if the person is actually not self aware at all and isn't putting on just to extend their stay on the show for the drama.   Gads I'm "reality show cynical!"

I can't believe they aren't using tablets....no HP sponsor?   Yapping about social media and all that LOL.

I agree totally about keeping someone around for the drama.  Remember "The Twins"?  Dear God In Heaven, I deserve a gold star for hanging around for that mess.  They both should have gone home the first week. Sometimes I wonder how dumb they think we are not to notice.   As I said on an earlier post, I am HERE FOR THE CLOTHES, and not the fights.  I hope the cameramen get a grip and stop the flitting around so we only get two seconds of something.  Very annoying.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

The show feels fresh again.   There was a certain pompous dark heaviness at All Stars on Lifetime.  The attitude.  The fakiness.  The beautiful Georgina Chapman, founder of Marchesa.   That whole show was greasy and I'm not sure why.

I liked Christian the first time around...sure he was his young immature self but he was also a budding designer and hair dresser.   Glad he found his stride in real adulthood.  I hope he's a great mentor.   I still remember them collecting all kinds of denim in a warehouse and he made the most amazing leggings and jacket in what seemed like 5 minutes.   He was awesome at sewing.

The new judges seem great so far.   I love the variety in size and shapes of models.

The guy who was helping the girl who was constantly crying was a hoot....the looks he was giving the camera was comedy gold.

That is a great comment about "freshness".  I think that describes things beautifully.  There is a lot I like about the new format, the only bad thing to me is the camerawork, bouncing all around for 10 seconds at a time is not my idea of pleasurable tv watching.    I am sure we will chat again as we seem to have similar ideas on this.   Hopefully, next week will be fun to watch

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I agree totally about keeping someone around for the drama.  Remember "The Twins"?  Dear God In Heaven, I deserve a gold star for hanging around for that mess.  They both should have gone home the first week. Sometimes I wonder how dumb they think we are not to notice.   As I said on an earlier post, I am HERE FOR THE CLOTHES, and not the fights.  I hope the cameramen get a grip and stop the flitting around so we only get two seconds of something.  Very annoying.

I forgot to comment on the camerawork but agree with all of the posters here who have mentioned it.   Happening on another show I just started watching....World of Dance or something like that.  Oh and the Masked Singer.   Don't judge LOL.   But anyway how do you watch a dance routine with cutaways to the judges??????  That makes no sense!!!!!!!   

Is this a new editing technique permeating TV shows?   Well.....I don't like it.   Continuity please and thank you.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Tim did not say much negatively in public,  for a long time after the viewers were pretty disappointed with some of the winners, as I recall. 

One season, he did a weekly vlog about the show and he got in trouble for saying that the judges were on crack so he had to stop doing the vlogs, which was disappointing because he was very candid about the designers, the outfits, the judges, etc. I remember he spent almost an entire vlog talking about how important it was for all designers to know fashion history and references (I think this was following a challenge where the designers each got a specific era or decade and there were a few clueless contestants who were WAY off).

After he got told by TPTB that he had to play nice, he held his tongue for the rest of the season. If I recall correctly, it wasn't until a few years later that he started being extremely blunt in his interviews (I think it was after Ashley won that he just couldn't hold it in anymore).

Christian did a good job on PR: Juniors and although we've only had one episode so far, I thought he gave fair advice to the designers. That said, it's a lot easier to be positive on your first day of school. I think Tim got worn down by seeing the judges make a lot of shitty choices season after season, year after year, and at some point he just couldn't keep quiet about it anymore. He spent over a decade with PR and he did about twenty seasons of various PR iterations (16 seasons of PR, the first All Stars challenge, 2 seasons of PR: Junior, 1 season of Under the Gunn). I can understand if he started getting jaded after putting up with all the ridiculous things he saw going on with the judging.

3 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I forgot to comment on the camerawork but agree with all of the posters here who have mentioned it.   Happening on another show I just started watching....World of Dance or something like that.  Oh and the Masked Singer.   Don't judge LOL.   But anyway how do you watch a dance routine with cutaways to the judges??????  That makes no sense!!!!!!!    

Is this a new editing technique permeating TV shows?   Well.....I don't like it.   Continuity please and thank you.

Unfortunately, they've been doing that on World of Dance since S1. I hate it.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, Sister Havana said:

I knew Cavanaugh would be the one aufed as soon as it was between Frankie and her. When it’s between bad and boring, boring almost always loses out.

As they say: Never bore Nina!

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A note for the producers: if you're going to conduct the talking head interviews in front of a white background, white chyrons are a stupid choice, especially when you only show some of these for one second before switching to workroom footage with a voiceover. Either change the color of the background or change the color of the font. All I know is that Renee is a luxury...something.

chyron.thumb.jpg.58948323287c14e9c130c6328cb752d4.jpg

Same goes for the runway show: white chyron + white background = you do not want me to read whatever is underneath Renee's name.

Thank you! I just had cataract surgery day before yesterday, and it was annoying the crap out of me.

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

That was the reason a couple of us made a sideways reference to that on her "personal thread" here. I also did some further googling and apparently she has no intention of getting chummy with her brother-in-law and his wife.

Re: Karlie and her in-laws. Glad to hear this. I knew who she'd married (and bro is a lot hotter than Jared), and I admit a bit of prejudice against her. Now, I can relax and just enjoy the show.

Hate admitting this but when they showed that photo of Cavanaugh and her parents, I thought her dad looked like a heart attack walking. But it was hard to feel that sorry for her when she acted like such an entitled beeyotch. 

• Love 5

I couldn't stand the dress with the feathers.  I love feathers but they looked like the cheap ones from the Halloween store.

I'm not a big of fan of the strap dress with shell buttons as the judges were.   It didn't look expensive to me.

Isn't it amazing the whole dress and cape thing that Renee made compared to the black crop top and split skirt that Cavanaugh made?   That was shocking.  Girl may own a luxury boutique but she just buys everything....buys her shop's stock, buys her pictures, buy buy buy.   Is she really a designer???  Or does she pay to have someone sketch out her ideas and then pays for someone in China to make them?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

I like that they showed it on 2 sizes of models.   The back straps didn't fit either of them.  Also....like many designs on these shows there is no real life boob solution.  It always helps if people/models have no boobs or fake boobs but for the rest of the population those under boob stickems don't really work.  And I certainly wouldn't risk it on this cheap garment that is gapping on the sides in the photos.   Yikes.  

I'll suffer for a fabulous gown for an "event" if I have to.....it would have to be incredible though.   You know the ones where you can walk really slow and then stand in place with a drink in your hand and be fabu?   LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:
On 3/16/2019 at 12:31 AM, Ilovepie said:

I would argue that he’s the only one who has had success in an avant-garde challenge. Can anyone name one other memorable outfit from this challenge?!? No, really, is there one?

I personally didn't see what was so special about it, but a lot of people really raved about Jeffrey Sebelia's yellow plaid avant-garde dress.

Jeffrey's dress won for the couture challenge.  They didn't do an avant-garde challenge in Season 3.  

I can name at least one other memorable outfit from this challenge - Victorya and Jillian's amazing coat in Season 4.  They lost to Chris and Christian of course.  In any other season they would have won hands down.  I know unlike the unconventional materials challenge it's not one they've done every season.  But I do agree I don't remember much in the way of great winners there (unlike the unconventional materials one which always has at least one amazing outfit).

ETA: spelling typos grr.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One season, he did a weekly vlog about the show and he got in trouble for saying that the judges were on crack so he had to stop doing the vlogs, which was disappointing because he was very candid about the designers, the outfits, the judges, etc. I remember he spent almost an entire vlog talking about how important it was for all designers to know fashion history and references (I think this was following a challenge where the designers each got a specific era or decade and there were a few clueless contestants who were WAY off).

After he got told by TPTB that he had to play nice, he held his tongue for the rest of the season. If I recall correctly, it wasn't until a few years later that he started being extremely blunt in his interviews (I think it was after Ashley won that he just couldn't hold it in anymore).

Christian did a good job on PR: Juniors and although we've only had one episode so far, I thought he gave fair advice to the designers. That said, it's a lot easier to be positive on your first day of school. I think Tim got worn down by seeing the judges make a lot of shitty choices season after season, year after year, and at some point he just couldn't keep quiet about it anymore. He spent over a decade with PR and he did about twenty seasons of various PR iterations (16 seasons of PR, the first All Stars challenge, 2 seasons of PR: Junior, 1 season of Under the Gunn). I can understand if he started getting jaded after putting up with all the ridiculous things he saw going on with the judging.

Unfortunately, they've been doing that on World of Dance since S1. I hate it.

You  are absolutely correct!   I forgot about the vBlog.   I did not catch them, but did hear about them from friends.   And it was Ashley that sent him over the edge!       I always thought he was upset because the fix was in right from the beginning because the powers that be were so "brave" to have a plus size person show up.   Despite the fact that she had the most ridiculous designs I remember in the history of final choices, it was unfair to a couple of people who were actually talented.    Much like the college entry scandal that is in the news right now.     I recall Tim was at some function when he was asked about Ashley's win and he really went off.  

• Love 3

That little blurb at the end about how the judges have the final decision and it might be influenced by the producers (or some such) was pretty prominent at the end of the episode. It made me think how much of this all comes down to editing and what happens behind the scenes just as much as in front of the cameras. For instance- they didn't have to tell us about Frankie sleeping in the car with the crappy boyfriend. Nor did they have to show us how much the other designers chose to help her. They could have just showed that tragic blue garment. She could have been edited way different. As could Cavanaugh- they didn't have to include the part about the bed, the iPhone, the fabric budget. But they made a point of doing so. In each case, that was how they wanted us to interpret that person. Cavanaugh must have been a real...handful...to the production staff to have gotten that edit on the first episode- there wasn't even time for that to build up.

• Love 5

But here's the thing.   Ashley put Tim "over the edge," however he returned again and again to the show even as it grew progressively worse with every season, i.e. the twins.   How could he be so lacking in principles that he helped to perpetuate the farce?   Perhaps he was under contract, but if so was it written into the contract that he had to tow the party line and pretend all was well even as we at home could so obviously tell that the show had preordained the outcome well in advance of Fashion Week?   His pretending that everything was just fine and lovely made him seem like a buffoon, IMO.

• Love 3
On 3/14/2019 at 9:48 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

I like all the new judges and Christian as mentor.  I'm especially happy they got two days to design and sew.  Hopefully all the challenges going forward will be the same.  One day challenges are the worst.

Seeing everyone together "at home" was also something I've missed.  The large workroom and sewing room were also great.  Everything just looks more thoughtful and with higher production values than any of the Lifetime seasons ever had.  Having an initial runway with the designers non-competition looks was a wonderful idea.  

I'm fine with Frankie staying.  The look was hideous but at least she had an idea.  Kavanaugh's look was so basic.  Also, she just sucked the joy out of the room.  Nothing - not even the pillow she slept on - escaped her bitterness.

Both of the top two looks were amazing.  It must have been a hard choice for them to make. 

Brandon clearly loves transformative looks.  The first designer to understand that will enjoy a long ride on this show!

Oh, those fish bone earrings Nina wore at the beginning of the show were so beautiful.  Usually I'm not an earring person but I'd buy the knock-off version of those!

^^Literally ALL OF THIS. Thank you for saving me the effort to type. 🙂

As others said, I was pleasantly surprised by the range of diversity both with the designers and the models. The transgender model working with the Himalayan gay designer made me tear up a little.

I watched the episode on YouTube. I sure hope they'll keep posting there because I don't have cable. Hell, I might actually consider paying for the season...and I never say that for seasons I haven't even seen yet.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, oceanview said:

I will always miss TIM.    I forgot the name of the woman who designed that magnificent gray dress/shawl.   Too many people at this point.   It was so classy and beautifully done.   I think she came in  second or third?   I was not crazy about the winner's work.  Thought those white straps were too weird.   Had a hard time seeing the picture Nina provided.  Wish she had chosen something different.

I liked the winning look as it was but looking at the one that is available on the website, they reworked it but not in a better way. The original look had wider, sturdier straps. The one being offered are thinner and come from the middle of the apron out thus not being as sturdy. Ironically, the photos of the outfit on models, including a plus sized model have the original straps.

11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Cavanaugh gave pretty good haughty sound bites complete with resting bitch face and eye rolls.   Are we sure there is no version of Project Runway....Edge of Extinction?  Redemption Island?  Last Chance Kitchen?

Gawd, don't say that...even in jest!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, oceanview said:

The twins...eghads, they were awful. Shawn is in a Walmart Pharmacy breast cancer commercial, I assume because of her bald head. Why use someone who doesn't have a bald head due to cancer or medical reason? It seems insulting. My sister has just grown her hair back after yearlong treatments.

This first episode was ok, but I didn't agree with Frankie staying over the rich gal. I'd have loved to see more drama and comments from her. Frankie will be gone next. Her mistake of making the torso too short was entirely avoidable. If a person is 6 feet tall, you can't assume their torso will be the same as someone who is 5' 8".

Seriously...snark about using an iPhone for pictures? Is she totally unaware of the technology? Current models of most phones, android and iOS, have amazing lenses and capabilities.

My recording was messed up due to heavy rain that night, so I missed a lot of Christian's comments. The little bit I saw I honestly wasn't crazy about. It seemed to me he just repeating catch phrases and parting comments he had memorized.

The clown girl...what the heck? So many of the contestants over the years seem like badly drawn characters. Like they think they need to create a weird quirky persona to get anywhere in the fashion industry. She seriously looks like someone who should be in the circus. She isn't being herself, she is trying to create herself.

Kovid is too much, I don't care much for him either.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Kovid is too much, I don't care much for him either.

yeah, his gushing over his model went on way too long. In my mind it should have been "Oh? Awesome. You go girl. Now let's get to work."

• Love 10
13 hours ago, oceanview said:

There was one hour long radio interview by some young woman in New York, who presented another side of Tim's life and I enjoyed it immensely.  Wish I could think of her name.  I bet you could Goggle it....  it explained a lot about his personality and background.  He is a bit of a fuss budget and rigid in his routine, to say the least, but I always liked him and Heidi adores him.

In the middle of the thread about anticipation for the new show, there's a discussion of a podcast that I suspect is the one you're thinking of.

22 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Seriously...snark about using an iPhone for pictures? Is she totally unaware of the technology? Current models of most phones, android and iOS, have amazing lenses and capabilities.

Considering the edit she was given, I wonder if she was actually referring to people taking the photos themselves, and not necessarily the medium.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Where was Road to the Runway?!? I used to love all that preliminary stuff. Big mis-step Show.

I thought Kovid was adorable & funny. His backstory of being roused out of his home in India was heart breaking. There's a lot of strength in his happy spirit. The moment when he met Mimi was truly special. I cheered right along with him in my living room as she walked the runway. ***snap-snap-snap!*** Yasss, werk!!! You could cut glass on those cheekbones. 

Afa (the Polynesian gentleman) is officially my favorite personality. His side-eyes & commentary gave me Life! He was helpful to the other contestants & his gown was lovely & flattering, even if he got a bit carried away w/ the train.

I'm all the way here for the model w/ the short & sassy blonde hair. She was giving me Linda Evangelista realness. I'm kind of obsessed with her face & she worked Renee's (?) modest outfit beautifully.

I was also super impressed w/ Frankie's model's confidence & professionalism. She's so called "plus sized" in a size zero industry, had to listen to complaints about her body & had to walk around for hours w/ her ass cheeks out in that hideous body suit. She didn't blink. She even tried to soothe Frankie.

As for Frankie: 'I don't care if you cry & cut, but you better cry & cut!' (#Zulema)

Agree on missing Road to the Runway, I love to see the audition footage and the reactions to the designers' work at first sight. 

Kovid is adorable, he's expressive and whimsical and emotional and wears his heart on his sleeve and I am here for it. He's sweet and kind. I want more of that. 

I agree on Afa. One twitch of the eyebrow speaks volumes. I'm going to enjoy watching him. 

LOL, I was siting up in bed yelling "you can cry, but you better cry and cut!". Great minds! 

I'm glad Cavanagh is gone, and I would like to remind the producers to hark back to season one--the drama that happened there evolved naturally and was so much more satisfying than any producer shenanigans. The duplicity of Wendy Pepper (RIP Wendy), the infamous Drawing of the Mustache (still unsolved!), Kara Saun's Shoegate. Project Runway OG is still the best of all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

This first episode was ok, but I didn't agree with Frankie staying over the rich gal. I'd have loved to see more drama and comments from her. Frankie will be gone next. Her mistake of making the torso too short was entirely avoidable. If a person is 6 feet tall, you can't assume their torso will be the same as someone who is 5' 8".

Actually, you can't. People have widely varying proportions. Even some very tall people have short torsos; short people can have long torsos. This is a number they should include on the model cards.

• Love 13

My son and husband are the same height BUT, when you put them back to back, nothing matches up. One has longer legs,  one has a longer torso, one’s neck is longer... So if you were to make body suits for them, they would be two different measurements.

• Love 11
On 3/15/2019 at 9:21 PM, millennium said:

I don't miss Heidi.   I don't miss Tim.

I still miss Michael Kors. 

Agreed, Heidi was never my cup of tea, and so far Karlie seems... fine. Unfortunately, Tim lost me after the regrettable "Under the Gunn".  I am enjoying CS as the new mentor, I think he brings something fresh.   And I never got over the loss of Michael Kors' unique brand of benevolent bitchery. 

All in all, an enjoyable episode, starting off on the right foot. Having given up on All Stars this season, which just felt very low rent, this was a breath of fresh air.  Their winner and elimination choices made sense to me - although Frankie's construction was terrible, you could see the concept there - and I like the idea that a plus model doesn't need to be covered up/pulled in everywhere. Rolls are human!  The losing design was - a plain black dress from 1997?  She has got to get her emotions together by the next episode though. 

• Love 8

I cannot stand Manic Pixie Dream Girl.  Her blue dotted Swiss dirndle dress (initial runway) was exactly what I would expect from her and it was HIDEOUS.  Frankie, maybe you should have deferred competing on this tough show until your head is clearer.  You know it will get harder, right?  Might not be the best decision at this particular point in time.  So 90DF viewers already know, it's Sahm-Wah, not Sam-O-ah.  He seems very nice so far.  Don't know all the names yet.  Just Frankie...the crying, oof, all that crying.

• Love 5

I'm willing to give Frankie a pass this once.  Anybody making a garment for you will take a torso measurement.  I think that might have contributed to why she stayed; the producers might have realized that leaving that information off the card screwed her.  And she did cry and cut -- once she took a moment to pull herself together.  Unlike Cavanaugh, she tried to solve the problem, not just ignore it.  Although, I did a full-body cringe when she pulled one of the straps on the bodysuit and it came loose during judging.  Even Nina looked sympathetic.  

Cavanaugh straight up lied when she explained why she didn't produce the tweed jacket.  She told the judges she ran out of time, when really, she messed up the sewing and couldn't fix it.  How could anyone give you so much to dislike in one 65-minute episode? Everything she said was snotty.  Every single thing.  

Hollie Go Sunshine or whatever is just trying too hard, with the wardrobe and the quirky glasses and the everything.  

I felt exactly like Brandon (Brendan -- the Kors/Mizrahi/Posen character) when he saw Renee's outfit.  It was so beautiful it made me want to cry.  I would absolutely splurge on that garment because it would look smashing even on me.  He literally gasped when the model put on that cape.  I was shocked she didn't win.  The look that won can't be worn by anyone who needs a bra. 

I think Siriano will be a great mentor, especially in those I-don't-know-what-to-do meltdown moments that everyone has as the season goes on.  I like how he's matured (and that IRL he designs for Hollywood women whom nobody else will).  

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, Archery said:

Cavanaugh straight up lied when she explained why she didn't produce the tweed jacket.  She told the judges she ran out of time, when really, she messed up the sewing and couldn't fix it.  How could anyone give you so much to dislike in one 65-minute episode? Everything she said was snotty.  Every single thing.  

===================================================================================================================================== 

I felt exactly like Brandon (Brendan -- the Kors/Mizrahi/Posen character) when he saw Renee's outfit.  It was so beautiful it made me want to cry.  I would absolutely splurge on that garment because it would look smashing even on me.  He literally gasped when the model put on that cape.  I was shocked she didn't win.  The look that won can't be worn by anyone who needs a bra. 

Since I could only give you one heart, I had to highlight these two points. 🙂

• Love 7

and that IRL he designs for Hollywood women whom nobody else will).  

I wonder if all that experience making the kind of clothes that makes the forgotten women of Hollywood feel special has molded the kind of mentorship he used and will be using in PR.

Renee's ensemble made my jaw drop.

I just hope that the various contestants don't get locked into using only palettes of neutrals and black.

• Love 5

I had quotes, and I lost them (teach me to have two topics open at once in two different tabs), but Cavanagh was an idiot about the photography. It's not the camera. It's the photographer. A good photographer can take many good photos in one session with a phone (particularly phones now); a bad photographer would have to luck into a good photo with a multi-thousand-dollar professional camera. Also, it's much easier to do Instagram photos with your phone. Otherwise, don't you have to send your photo to yourself so you can access from your phone or tablet or trick your computer into thinking it's a phone or tablet to post? (It's been a long time since I posted to Instagram, but I remember having to do something like that.)

What I didn't like (other than Cavanagh) was the apparent lack of proper undergarments. I know many of the tops wouldn't have allowed for bras, but something could have been done to cover the nipples at least. And many of the designs would have looked much better on the plus-sized models if they'd had the right foundation garments. (I feel like Truvy and Clairee in "Steel Magnolias.")

Edited by auntlada
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I agree completely and I've also been trying to figure out where the "greasiness"  comes from in PRAS. One thing on the current season is no one really seems like they are having a good time.

18 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I like that they showed it on 2 sizes of models.   The back straps didn't fit either of them.  Also....like many designs on these shows there is no real life boob solution.  It always helps if people/models have no boobs or fake boobs but for the rest of the population those under boob stickems don't really work.  And I certainly wouldn't risk it on this cheap garment that is gapping on the sides in the photos.   Yikes.  

My cats would love it if I bought a dress with cat toys, er, straps hanging down the back like that. But the lack of bra situtaion is an automatic rule-out for me. Not built like a model.

I wondered why no one critiqued Frankie for making a blue bodysuit because she was inspired by a photo of someone wearing a blue bodysuit but I guess there was no point in piling on. I'd rather see her cry again than hear more whining from Cavanaugh the Privileged. (A twin bed, the very idea! Bitch.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I'm not sure what kind of wizardry would accomplish keeping all of one's 'stuff' under wraps in this sort of outfit.  I am a plus-sized woman with not-so plus sized breasteses, but there is no way that I would attempt such magic, plus my back fat is for my eyes only (and the DH).  But that's just me.  I'm glad these designs are offered for everyone.

TessaClarkEpisode1LookPlusModelSideBravoProjectRunwayProductCanvas.jpg

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm not sure what kind of wizardry would accomplish keeping all of one's 'stuff' under wraps in this sort of outfit.  I am a plus-sized woman with not-so plus sized breasteses, but there is no way that I would attempt such magic, plus my back fat is for my eyes only (and the DH).  But that's just me.  I'm glad these designs are offered for everyone.

TessaClarkEpisode1LookPlusModelSideBravoProjectRunwayProductCanvas.jpg

It is good that fashion is embracing larger figures but you don't see Siriano dressing larger celebrities on the red carpet in something like this.  He aims to make them look good and not exposed.  

Edited by Bucket
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

yeah, his gushing over his model went on way too long. In my mind it should have been "Oh? Awesome. You go girl. Now let's get to work."

I have mixed feelings about what happened.   On one hand, I can understand how that scene can be seen as supporting or giving encouragement to anyone watching who is transgender.

On the other hand, you don't see black models or gay models or plus size models announcing "I'm black!" "I'm gay!" "I'm plus size!"  And you don't see the show making a big fuss about it.

So yeah, being inclusive is important and praiseworthy.   But when inclusive smacks of exploitation, then IMO it's a problem.   How is it being inclusive when you spotlight differences?   It was like the show was patting itself on the back -- See how progressive we are!   PRAS did this a couple weeks ago, featured a trans model and went out of its way to make sure there was no question in anyone's mind that the model was assigned male at birth.

Personally, I don't think Mimi should have received any special attention or treatment.   It seemed exploitative to me, and also unfair to the cis-gender models who remained mostly anonymous.   

Edited by millennium
  • Love 11

I have a hunch Michael Kors quit for many of the reasons Tim became disgusted and the entire show went downhill on Lifetime.   I miss Michael Kors tremendously!  

Siriano is doing a good job, I like him, always have. He has matured of course but I liked the young and fierce boy too. 

• Love 10
15 hours ago, millennium said:

But here's the thing.   Ashley put Tim "over the edge," however he returned again and again to the show even as it grew progressively worse with every season, i.e. the twins.   How could he be so lacking in principles that he helped to perpetuate the farce?   Perhaps he was under contract, but if so was it written into the contract that he had to tow the party line and pretend all was well even as we at home could so obviously tell that the show had preordained the outcome well in advance of Fashion Week?   His pretending that everything was just fine and lovely made him seem like a buffoon, IMO.

Not to mention, Tim *and* Heidi were producers; they had some creative control over elements like the gimmicky challenges, the lack of challenge time, etc. etc. The decline of the show on Lifetime has as much to do with their neglect (or greed) as with Bunim/Murray & Lifetime.

I thought the S17 was as good as could be expected: It felt fresh and unshackled from the horrible Lifetime years. We'll never get back to the magic of S1-5 but they made a darn good effort at returning to the elements that made people fall in love with the show during those seasons. Even the auf of Cavanaugh was more in line with the Golden Era Rule that saw boring designs go first. I don't have much hope for Frankie in the long-term but I have no issue with her getting a chance at redemption. 

However: I am not sure how many weeks I can take of "Millennial Velma" (™ Difficult People) AKA Hester Sunshine. She has "keep me, I'm SUCH a character" stamped all over her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

However: I am not sure how many weeks I can take of "Millennial Velma" (™ Difficult People) AKA Hester Sunshine. She has "keep me, I'm SUCH a character" stamped all over her.

Jinkies.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Now that I think about it, wouldn't one more week of Cavanaugh been entertaining?  It would have (possibly) cemented the fact that she can't construct a garment while blaming another litany of grievances of the week!   I mean complaining about the beds was pretty awesome but the snooty tone about the fabric budget while at freaking Mood was pretty laughable.   Why did she want to come on this show if they entire show was beneath her lifestyle and aesthetic?   Oh yeah ego.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Now that I think about it, wouldn't one more week of Cavanaugh been entertaining?  It would have (possibly) cemented the fact that she can't construct a garment while blaming another litany of grievances of the week!   I mean complaining about the beds was pretty awesome but the snooty tone about the fabric budget while at freaking Mood was pretty laughable.   Why did she want to come on this show if they entire show was beneath her lifestyle and aesthetic?   Oh yeah ego.

I knew she was going home when it came down to her and Frankie even though IMO if a piece of your design falls off in your hand on the runway you should get the hook then and there.   I LOL'ed when Frankie merely brushed the fabric and it popped off.   It was so BAD to begin with but then it MOULTS? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, millennium said:

I agree with some of your comment.  Would like to add in Tim's defense, that at one gab fest he mentioned that he adored Heidi and had PROMISED  he would  stick with her thru thick and thin.  I am not imagining this, I promise.  Well, he kept his word and the two of them worked out the new show on Amazon or Netflix or whatever.  I won't be able to see it, so someone please take one for the team and report back to us.  I hope it is successful

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Archery said:

I'm willing to give Frankie a pass this once.  Anybody making a garment for you will take a torso measurement.  I think that might have contributed to why she stayed; the producers might have realized that leaving that information off the card screwed her.  And she did cry and cut -- once she took a moment to pull herself together.  Unlike Cavanaugh, she tried to solve the problem, not just ignore it.  Although, I did a full-body cringe when she pulled one of the straps on the bodysuit and it came loose during judging.  Even Nina looked sympathetic.  

Hollie Go Sunshine or whatever is just trying too hard, with the wardrobe and the quirky glasses and the everything.  

I think Siriano will be a great mentor, especially in those I-don't-know-what-to-do meltdown moments that everyone has as the season goes on.  I like how he's matured (and that IRL he designs for Hollywood women whom nobody else will).  

I appreciate and agree with everything  you mentioned.   You also wrote something I thought I would never see in the same sentence.......Nina and Sympathetic!   But you were correct .  I liked Brandon too

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, heckkitty said:

I thought I’d be annoyed with Kovid & now I saw him with Mimi and I freakin adore him. 

He is way too much a caricature and can begone from my screen immediately.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:30 AM, Cotypubby said:

Even though Frankie had the worst look, I’m perfectly happy seeing Cavanaugh get the first boot. She’s the epitome of spoiled rich brat who has had everything handed to her. I mean, having to sleep on a twin bed like a plebe!? Oh the humanity! 

Renee should have won, I want that outfit!

Frankie’s was,imo a pity save. Cavanaugh was unpleasant but Frankie has no design sense and isn’t technically proficient. Rather a bitchy contestant than one that is incompetent.

• Love 6