Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Premiere

• Start Topic

Frankie was the absolute worst. First, she decided to make the most minimal attire possible. Secondly, she made a rookie sewing mistake with the middle-seam ("We don't want to see the toes of the camel!") and had to rip and re-do. THEN she didn't calculate correctly  her model's measurements---and had to rip and re-do. Yet even after that her model's butt hung out.  I don't give two Tim Gunns about her losing her boyfriend, her dog, or her domicile---Frankie needed to go.

I like the Girl and Her Amazing Technicolor Eyeglasses!  Maybe she's a young Iris Apfel!

Christian Siriano can do no wrong in my eyes. I like hearing critiques from not only a successful designer, but one who competed on PR. As for Karlie Kloss: She was afterwards on "Watch What Happens Live" and passed a "test" of sorts in identifying the designers of many of her runway outfits. She, too, has an interesting and knowledgeable perspective on designs.

I didn't care for the opening gambit of a selective showing of some contestants' designs because there was no sense of their ouevre, so what was the point? 

The winning design was fabulous, darling [tm Isaac Mizrahi].

• Love 8

Cautiously optimistic. Not impressed with the contestants' skills, but I loved the top two designs for the start - probably executed on very little sleep and fatigue from the travel and adjustment. Hill's was stunning.

I hate the sob stories.

One preview last week showed some gorgeous design and I hope we get that - I don't want drama TV, and I want design TV. I still mourn the first season's fashion.

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, politichick said:

And, while this may not be a popular opinion, I think that it's fine to have a selection of challenges with different size models, but would like to see more with not stick figures, but not models like the one Frankie and the heinous Cavanaugh had. Do the designers with the slimmer models have an unfair advantage? Why not have challenges with either all slim or all plus so that everyone's starting off in the same place?

Not when Frankie was talking at length how she focuses on plus sized and/or curvy women.  She should have been in her element.  Oh, and acting like a 6 ft tall model is unheard of, that's ridiculous.

Cavanaugh's issue wasn't the size of her model, it's that she f'ed up the jacket.  

• Love 8
15 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Dear Project Runway:

Please STOP with the quick cuts--I can barely register the actual fashions because you cut every second to show REACTION SHOTS and have camera shots featuring the backs of heads.

Geez, this isn't PROJECT NYU FILM SCHOOL.  

Holy goodness!  You read my mind!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

How Renee's design was not far and away the winner escapes me.  I did however realize it wasn't going to win when I noticed there was one in the top that used Nina's inspiration as its source.  There was no way the only OG PR judge on the bench wasn't going to get the nod.  

Hester redeemed herself with me slightly by showing kindness and concern when Frankie melted down after her model's torso was so much longer than she expected.  It really is unconscionable that they were only supplied bust and hip measurements on the model cards.  If she wants to remain Hester is going to have to bring it on the runway, because all of the affectations of her personal dress -- especially including what she seems to think makes her stand out in a good way -- the juxtaposition of PLZ DIE, DEAD, and F OFF, etc. messages on her clown hats and clothing don't convey intelligence or artistic sensibilities in any way to me -- quite the opposite in fact.    

Agree with everything 100%  I liked both top designs and was fine with the winner  but I thought Renee's had an extra kind of sophistication and elegance.  Clown girl needs to go away fast -  it's time (for the judges) to realize that wearing whacko clothes and looking like a four year old who dressed herself is NOT a fashion statement or POV.  What adult wants to look like a cartoon character?

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Hester redeemed herself with me slightly by showing kindness and concern when Frankie melted down after her model's torso was so much longer than she expected.  It really is unconscionable that they were only supplied bust and hip measurements on the model cards.  If she wants to remain Hester is going to have to bring it on the runway, because all of the affectations of her personal dress -- especially including what she seems to think makes her stand out in a good way -- the juxtaposition of PLZ DIE, DEAD, and F OFF, etc. messages on her clown hats and clothing don't convey intelligence or artistic sensibilities in any way to me -- quite the opposite in fact.    

That sort of text on garments makes me think of a little kid who is trying to be edgy for the first time and annoy the grownups on the room.   Honey, it's been done before and done MUCH better.

Edited by terrymct
fixed a typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22

I quit PR a few seasons ago. Just couldn't take it anymore. This return to BRAVO without Heidi and Tim and with Christian Siriano makes me so happy! Yay! 

The designer who was eliminated was right--I did find her garment flattering and the mess that was saved was a mess; however, no one is going to miss her. 

• Love 3

Add me to the viewers who found the quick cuts away from the designs on the final runway maddening.  We're here to see the designs, Show.  For some, I don't think they even gave us full body shots of them!

I just watched this episode last night and, honestly, I've completely forgotten what the winning design looked like.  It was black?  Maybe?  But I remember 2 and 3.  Renee was robbed.  And I can't believe that third look was the third look.  Seriously, there was nothing better than that to put in the Top Three?  Because that look was bad.

I am already so over the Frankie drama.  That was a season's worth of drama for one contestant right there.  As to the elimination, I would've auf'ed Frankie over Cavanaugh.  Cavanaugh's design was at least wearable and better made. If "ideas" was the thing for the judges, they both had ideas, but they both made cutting mistakes that landed Cavanaugh's supposedly outfit making jacket back in the workroom, while Frankie's ended up on the runway..  So, yeah, they got to see Frankie's idea and not Cavanaugh's, but...  I dunno, but I bet Cavanaugh's jacket was a better idea than whatever Frankie originally intended to send down the runway because her design looked like crap from the get.

Cavanaugh was quite the pill, though, so maybe I'd have auf'ed both of them.  Or kept them both and given them another week to settle in or not.

• Love 9

Somewhat pleasantly surprised, even though I miss Tim terribly and Heidi. Karli must be 8 feet tall- hopefully she will get better over time. Anyone else remember Katie Lee as the season 1 host of Top Chef..?  I recall Christian being a lot more bitchy, but he was super nice and supportive of the designers. I definitely like Renee's style of clothing so far.  I wonder if Afa and Ansuelo ( 90 Fiance ) are related, he could  be his older brother

• Love 7

I thought Renee’s outfit should have won. I would totally wear something like that too. The winning outfit was all right. The back of it was very cool. I wasn’t impressed with most of the other runway looks, though. 

I knew Cavanaugh would be the one aufed as soon as it was between Frankie and her. When it’s between bad and boring, boring almost always loses out.

• Love 5

I am really glad to see PR back on Bravo, I hope the rest of the season continues in this vein- linger challenges, more supportive cast... not completely bonkers judging.

i was okay with the top and bottom looks; mostly... though the winning dress was middle of the road to me. I think part of the problem was how it was cut in the front and the fact that models don’t wear undergarments... the dress seemed to hang from her nipples and it just wasn’t appealing to me.  I agree that I would have picked the other dress as the winner.

I was also okay with the person who was aufed her outfit was boring and I still have flashbacks from whichever season that was where one of the top designers kept making boring skirts and crop tops with gallons of praise. 

Frankie was drama tastic, but I would rather see more from her than Cavenaugh. I think her outfit could have been neat and tasteful if she had enough time and it covered more of the models booty. I loved the blue and the striping she did... she also was getting so much screen time I had a feeling she was staying, since why give the sob story only to eliminated her? In a few episodes it would have been the loser edit.

Christian was very much channeling Tim Gunn with his mannerisms and just his approach to the contestants. I miss Tim but Christian was a better mentor than I expected.

Comparing this to All Stars is not even a fair comparison it is so many miles better! Hopefully the season will only get better!!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Bonus...She looks like a real life human Mavis from Hotel Transylvania!

OMG.  That's it!  Thank you.  It was bugging me, and since I've been home sick with the crud and watched Hotel Transylvania 3 just the day before it was really niggling at my brain.virus

I think that was a good start.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, and I promise I'll eventually learn names.  Right now I can only remember Frankie's name because she was signatures last night.

I loved Christian Siriano as the mentor, I'm liking Karlie a lot, Nina is always fantastic, the gal from Teen Vogue has some good critiques (will she be a regular judge, or just the first judge last night?), but I'm not sure about the make designer judge.  He needs to find and hit his stride.  Oh, how I do miss our beloved Duchess of Orange.

One thing I really like about it being back in Bravo is the flexibility a network like that, with the scatter gun kind of shoes they have, has with the programming.  They just busted in and made the premiere an hour and a half because they could match that with the Top Chef finale at an hour and a half.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I’m loving the Samoan.  Trying to remember if there has been a Samoan cast before - all I can think of is the designer from Hawaii...ummm...Ari?

Ari/Ana was from Hawaii but wasn't polynesian.  There was someone on a later season, Kini (Kiniokahokula "Kini" Zamora) who was.

Loved the big cheer from all the other designers when Frankie said she was safe.  And nobody declared that they weren't there to make friends.

Those big wooden columns in the workroom are going to get old.

Edited by meep.meep
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

One thing I really like about it being back in Bravo is the flexibility a network like that, with the scatter gun kind of shoes they have, has with the programming.  They just busted in and made the premiere an hour and a half because they could match that with the Top Chef finale at an hour and a half.   

Looks like next week is super-sized too - I wonder if they'll keep Lifetime's longer format all season?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I was quite impressed with Christian as a mentor. He was concise and to the point, and gave the designers space to talk through the stuff they wanted to talk through. I think he'll do very well.

I was so surprised, too!  I expected him to act like a little snob, and he was quite supportive & helpful.  I'm really very happy about this!  And I don't recall him using the word 'fierce' once, which was also a relief.  😄 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Edited to add: I just took a peek at Cavanagh's IG. She has almost 7000 followers, but averages about 150 likes per post. (My CAT has 1000 followers and averages 110 likes per post, and HE'S NAKED). 

I would love to know your cat's IG so I can follow him!  😄

• Love 10
5 hours ago, jrlr said:

Clown girl needs to go away fast -  it's time (for the judges) to realize that wearing whacko clothes and looking like a four year old who dressed herself is NOT a fashion statement or POV.  What adult wants to look like a cartoon character?

I’ve been watching the “What Not to Wear” reruns on one of the family channels and can just imagine what Cli’in and Stacy would say!

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

I agreed with keeping Frankie, since it's a design competition, not a sewing/fabrication one and Kavanaugh had no design in hers. The accessories were really trying to make the outfit look like it had more of a design to it, and I'm glad the judges saw through it.

I'm also selfishly glad I won't have to hear Kavanaugh bitch the rest of the season.

• Love 15

Just finished watching Top Chef, now to watch new Project Runway!  Already I'm not thrilled with the girl with the Mickey Mouse ears hairdo. And there was one guy who sounded like Dmitry when he talked.

I liked Renny's coat outfit. This white outfit is pretty good, too (Rakan). I like the long gloves on ?'s outfit (Garo?). Now this blue/orange one has long straps like Christine's on PR All-Stars. Hester's looks like a cupcake. Now the big bow thing, we've seen before. Sonia's is nice, I wonder if she knows Leanne in Portland. Lela's drapy outfit was a little weak.

The loft workroom is pretty cool-looking. Still "brother" sewing machines - at least some things are staying the same!

They get two days to work on their garments!! I wonder how many pairs of glasses Mickey Mouse girl (Hester?) owns.

• Love 2

I think the winning look won because it stuck to the inspiration photo more than the look produced by Renee. Renee’s design was great, but looked more Fall than the inspiration pic. You could easily see the nautical influence in Tessa’s design.

• Love 2

Karlie Kloss seems very familiar, has she been a judge on PR or one of the other fashion/models shows?

It seems like they have more money, too, for fabric and other stuff. $250 for this challenge.

Funny how Cavanaugh complains she doesn't have enough money, then in the next seen the two designers are amazed they have so much money to spend on one garment. One is the woman who is currently living in her car. Now, where's Swatch?

• Love 7

So glad this is back and back on Bravo!!  Hopefully, the rest of the season will have more two day challenges, so we can see actually well constructed and finished garments!!  

I'm liking all the judges (well....not crazy about Nina, but she seemed a little less nasty last night), and love Christian - I've been a fan of his since his PR season!  And, it seems like a nice mix of designers.

I can't remember - did the designers come up with their garment designs before or after they chose their model card?  While the winning look was interesting, it looked interesting because of the model's height and shape.  That same garment would have looked like a ridiculous sack on any one of the more curvy models or on a shorter girl.  

One other thing I was wondering - does it seem like the backlighting and/or backdrop is MUCH brighter when Hester (Grown-up Rainbow Bright) is doing her talking head interviews?  Just seems like the producers want to make her look like human sunshine!  

• Love 2

I like Frankie, she seems familiar, too. Actually I know who she reminds me of - a contestant on a past Project Runway or other competition who looks like her but has a much higher-pitched voice. Maybe a cooking competition on Food Network.

Hester sure has a mess at her work station, especially all the scraps on the floor!

• Love 1

Karlie and Christian next to each other - it's like a ventriloquist and her dummy.

I'm curious to see how Christian works out as a mentor. He doesn't sounded excited about Cavanaugh's garment although he said he was.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Cavanaugh: Alexis Rose on Schitt's Creek. Initial and final reactions! Buh bye. (Although, Alexis is actually funny.)

Hester: Aside from what she sent down the runway, looks like her designs are for children, juniors, and clowns.

Renee should have won. That was a stunning outfit that fit the challenge perfectly.

Have a feeling Frankie will be out next week. Nina's side eye with the crying was priceless.

A lot of the outfits looked really cheap. Some of it was poor construction, some was poor choice of fabric, some were both. Inspiration photos weren't really inspirational. Weird choices. I do like that the judges get a closer look at what they're judging. 

I don't know. Too many contestants for a start. I'm sure Hester and Frankie are cannon fodder, which is a shame.

• Love 4

The editing is clever how they show one designer expressing an opinion and then next is shown a designer expressing the opposite opinion on the same subject. I feel like they don't like Cavanaugh very much.

I liked Sebastian's look quite a bit. I first I thought "hoochie mama", then I realized it was like a swim suit and covering garments. But it was fun. Of the three top looks, I liked Renee's the best. 

Poor Frankie. I hope she's not eliminated but it's not looking good for her. I'm glad she got to stay. I can't help wondering if pity went into the judges' decision. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Somewhat pleasantly surprised, even though I miss Tim terribly and Heidi. Karli must be 8 feet tall- hopefully she will get better over time. Anyone else remember Katie Lee as the season 1 host of Top Chef..?  I recall Christian being a lot more bitchy, but he was super nice and supportive of the designers. I definitely like Renee's style of clothing so far.  I wonder if Afa and Ansuelo ( 90 Fiance ) are related, he could  be his older brother

Christian the contestant was quite snarky.  Christian the judge on PR Juniors was a very thoughtful and helpful judge.  He was direct and honest with the kids -- and most importantly gave feedback that gave them something to takeaway and use going forward.  I was nervous when he was sitting there to judge the kids at first.  

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Poor Frankie. I hope she's not eliminated but it's not looking good for her. I'm glad she got to stay. I can't help wondering if pity went into the judges' decision. 

^^^ I agree. I just rewatched, because I only half watched last night. I really felt bad for Frankie, she just had one problem after another. It did say a lot about her personality that several other designers jumped in to help her pull it together in the final minutes. 

Cavanaugh was a prissy bitch and I’m glad she’s gone!

• Love 11

Watching the episode again (so I can really concentrate this time).  I love that there are other people who do this.

Kovid seems amazing.  What a great guy.

Karlie says "like" way too much for my taste.  Hopefully she'll watch this back and realize.

That quirky woman says "literally" when it doesn't make sense, which is my pet peeve.  No, quirky woman, you are not "literally in your head going Ahhhhhhhhhhhh."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Christian Siriano can do no wrong in my eyes. I like hearing critiques from not only a successful designer, but one who competed on PR. As for Karlie Kloss: She was afterwards on "Watch What Happens Live" and passed a "test" of sorts in identifying the designers of many of her runway outfits. She, too, has an interesting and knowledgeable perspective on designs.

I agree.  On WWHL Christian answered the question, was it fun, with a bit of ambiguity.  He eluded to this bunch needing a lot of help.  And that came across in the 'fashion'  I saw.  

I like Karlie after seeing here on there, too. 

10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I didn't care for the opening gambit of a selective showing of some contestants' designs because there was no sense of their ouevre, so what was the point? 

The winning design was fabulous, darling [tm Isaac Mizrahi].

I agree.  I don't miss Tim or the old opening though the new one is not good. 

I loved the winning dress.  The one with the cape than many loved I found well done but boring.  

• Love 1