Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Premiere

• Start Topic

Sixteen designers arrive in New York City; the designers showcase their best looks, then, they meet their mentor, Christian Siriano; the designers must create a look inspired by some of the the biggest names in fashion but with a twist.

Original air date: March 14, 2019

• Love 1

There are some clips on the bravo app. I’m feeling guardedly optimistic. They showed one of each designers’ looks & there were some interesting ones. There are several designers over 50, which I am here for. But there’s also a woman who annoyed me in record time. She made (IMO) an ugly dress with those sequins that change colors that my 11-year-old used to love (when she was like 9). & they did an intro to Christian & the workroom in which she came across as pompous & judgey. She spells her name “Cavenaugh” or some such nonsense & I pre hate her, hard. 

Edited by heckkitty
  • LOL 4
  • Love 19

Karlie Kloss is on the Today Show this morning and claims that the viewing audience will vote in real time and the winning choice will get manufactured and sold on Bravo’s website. I’m not sure how this is going to work with the judging because the episodes are pre-filmed. Maybe the manufacturing is a separate “win” for the contestants?

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 1

There was a Project Runway type show on NBC a few years ago called Fashion Star that did the winning design in each episode getting sold in one of the stores and on that store's website almost immediately. It lasted two seasons with Macy's , Saks Fifth Avenue and H&M participating. Express took H&M's spot after a host change for the 2nd season. Instead of viewers voting the buyers from each store were making the decisions.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, heckkitty said:

She made (IMO) an ugly dress with those sequins that change colors that my 11-year-old used to love (when she was like 9).

I bought a few yards of that hologram sequined fabric a few months or so ago and made curtains for my laundry room...really cheered the place up. No...really.

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
On 3/13/2019 at 7:26 AM, Jaded said:

There was a Project Runway type show on NBC a few years ago called Fashion Star that did the winning design in each episode getting sold in one of the stores and on that store's website almost immediately. It lasted two seasons with Macy's , Saks Fifth Avenue and H&M participating. Express took H&M's spot after a host change for the 2nd season. Instead of viewers voting the buyers from each store were making the decisions.

I vaguely remember watching that show. IIRC, I did check out the clothing be offered on the websites. I never purchased anything though because they looked cheaply made to me and several garments I did actually did like didn’t really resemble what they had presented on the show.  I’m sure that I wasn’t in the demographic that were appealing to, but I tend to be drawn to youthful, unique clothing. 

I’m looking forward to watching tonight and hope that it’s interesting and presented well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Cavanagh: You have to finish things by yourself.*

*or with the help of your model.

I’m loving the Samoan.  Trying to remember if there has been a Samoan cast before - all I can think of is the designer from Hawaii...ummm...Ari?

• LOL 4
  • Love 15

I had a really wicked thought.  I bet they saved a fortune by not putting ceiling fans in the work rooms.  With all the hand waving, no fans needed.

Before tonight I didn't know waving is contagious.   

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

15 minutes in and it’s already better than All-Stars

I’m on the West coast so I’ve only seen previews so far, and I have no doubt you are right, but you do know what a low bar that is, right? 😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I loved Renee’s look. See, you don’t have to show a lot of skin and you can have sleeves to have an awesome, classy look. How did she not win?! 

Poor Frankie, nice lady, but that was awful. Her poor model having to walk down that runway with her ass hanging out. How the hell did she not go home! 

Cavanagh was an awful person but at least her design was normal and her model ‘s ass was covered. 

I think I’m out for this show. The judges are on drugs or something. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

I loved this. Karlie is fresh, yet polished. I like Christian. LOVE Nina, as always. We'll see about the other two judges, it'll be fun to get to know them. 

I liked that they started with a runway of self-selected looks. Loved the big budget and plenty of time for the first challenge, but damn most of the looks were disappointing given those two things. I did think the inspiration photos were tough to work with.

Goodbye Cavenaugh, I won't miss you.

• Love 22

I'm not surprised by the result, just because of the editing.  Certain comments that were made at the beginning about how $250 was either not a lot of money for fabric or was a lot of money for fabric, for example, and the edits carried through the show.  Just before the winners and losers were announced and she hit the floor crying, I knew Frankie was staying.

• Love 8

I liked the new look and style of the show.  I especially liked that we were introduced to the designers through a runway show with a look they chose to represent them.  And it was great to hear the designers talking about their designs and process rather than making digs at each other. 

Not sure how I feel about Karlie.  I'm also not sold on having two models on the judging panel.  And  I really wish they would let us see the designs on the runway better!  The quick cuts are not helping.  After having a whole show on the design part, I don't know why they are so terrible at actually showing the finished product on the runway.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 21

I mean, I guess I understand why they kept Frankie even with how disastrous that look was, but this feels like a reality tv and narrative decision moreso than a design competition decision. Her outfit was unquestionably the worst thing on the runway. 

At the same time, I get how they could justify keeping her over Cavanaugh, from a design perspective. At least Frankie took risks and had a clear, unique aesthetic she was trying to get across, and it actually had something to do with the challenge. I liked the juxtaposition of both Frankie and Cavanaugh realizing they screwed up the main features of their designs and how they tried to fix it, with Frankie basically starting over her construction from scratch, which left her in an impossible time crunch, but still trying to make the design work, and Cavanaugh basically ditching her design by not even attempting to fix the tweed jacket. So she was able to send functional clothes down the runway, but they were entirely uninspired and basic. 

Still though, I don't think Frankie is long for this show at all, and this felt a lot like a pity second chance. At least that's how it feels right now. Her whole thing is ostensibly designing form fitting clothes for plus size women, and the first challenge she got the chance to do exactly that and it was an utterly incompetent disaster. And as heartwarming as it is that the other designers like her personally and pitched in to help, it doesn't speak well at all to her relative level of talent and competency. Also, the crying breakdowns could get old real fast if they become a regular occurrence. 

Frankly, if it were up to me I would have sent the third woman home, the least worst one. At least Frankie and Cavanaugh knew they screwed up. Whereas she had no idea how ugly and badly made her design was. She was proud of it before the judges called it out. 

• Love 21
12 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

That's what I was wondering. There are two magazine editors (one former) and a designer. Karlie's the only model.

Ooooh, I must have missed that!  I thought the other woman on the panel was also a model. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

I thought I’d be annoyed with Kovid & now I saw him with Mimi and I freakin adore him. 

I know I'm a horrible person, but while we were watching my wife turned to me and said "His accent reminds me of something."  I immediately replied "King Julian" as that had come to me several minutes before.  She said "Oh my god!  That's exactly it!"

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • LOL 7
48 minutes ago, izabella said:

Ooooh, I must have missed that!  I thought the other woman on the panel was also a model. 

No worries! I had to think about it a moment too. I have to get used to these judges. Except for Nina. LOL.

• Love 2

This was the worst season opener I have ever seen in terms of talent, which IMO is abysmal. The only final piece that was worthy of the runway for me was that taupey dress with the detachable cape. The rest was just...dreck. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Bye Cavanaugh! Not going to miss you!!

That about sums it up for me, she was an entitled bitch, & I won't miss her.

It's going to take me a little bit to get used to the new version, I kind of feel the same as when The Great British Bake Off lost Mary, Sue, & Mel, a little lost. LOL

• Love 15

Phew, what a relief! I totally enjoyed that. I'd have liked longer shots of the actual runway - and I loathed the winning designer's personality, and thought her look was quite the rip-off of Kovid's design in the opening party runway - but aside from that, so good to have decent production values back, a peppy feel to the whole thing, no overt favoritism or cute flirting from the judges towards any individual designers as per All Stars, a two day challenge, an empathetic mentor, an elegant host... Marvellous!

I really like some of the designers, and look forward to seeing the season progress. And I'm glad Frankie was allowed to stay, just for the outpouring of emotion and encouragement from the rest of the contestants. (It just all makes a big and welcome change after watching Michelle's bitchy snide talking heads, in PRAS, even as she comments on the designs by 'one of my best friends'...) Meana back, looking fab! I like Brandon, also.

I am interested to see more from Kovid, Afa, Hester the Kookie Girl, and Renee, and also especially Sebastian Grey.

• Love 13