Type keyword(s) to search

Teen Wolf In The Media

“For me, the tagline of this season that we use in the writers room is: The rules have changed,” he said. “The 20-episode season will be very much the world of the supernatural being turned upside down.”

Considering he does a crap job of worldbuilding and forgets his own established canon ("Oh, Kira should have used electricity in a fight?"), it sounds like it'll be even messier than usual.

• Love 2

Meh, Derek was boring anyway and Tyler Hoechlin is about as emotive as a plank of wood. I know he has a Linklater film in the pipeline, but after that he should make a lateral jump to the CW a la Colton Haynes because that's his level. 

As an aside, MTV contracts must suck.

• Love 2

I'm sure the Sterek fans are revolting, and probably blaming Jeff Davis for letting him go, or whatever. I do think Derek outlived his series regular status for a while now, and it's not like he won't be around in some capacity. Derek's too old for the gang anyway, and he was good in the first two seasons when he had a true purpose in mentoring Scott. But now, I get why Tyler Hoechlin is leaving. Not that I'm thrilled with this upcoming season, anyway. With Crystal gone, Tyler now gone and a bunch of new characters coming into the forefront, along with Lydia getting significantly less focus, I'm not sure if I'm going to watch all of season 5. I'm ok with this, though. I liked some things about season 4, like the exploration of Scott being a True Alpha, Kira and Jordan coming onto the show, and the Stiles/Scott bromance, but that's about it. 

The fact of the matter is, I'm not here for Teen Wolf: Next Generation. I'm here for Scott, Stiles, Lydia (and Derek and Allison when she had been alive) and the more focused storylines. I'm not here for Malia, I'm not really here for Kira (although I do actually love her), and I'm not here for Scott's band of werewolves. 

I never was a big fan of Derek so I'm not too upset about his departure. Season 5 sounds really interesting and with 20 episodes, this season should definitely feel more complete than season 4. I'm excited to learn more about the kitsune myth.

• Love 1

When I heard the news my immediate reaction was "Oh thank God, now I'll have zero regrets about not seeing Season 5." Now the only negative impact the Suddenlink-Viacom feud is having on me is not being able to watch Key & Peele.

I feel like we should at least give Season 5 the benefit of a doubt before writing it off.  Season 4 was largely bad but 3B was (imo) the best Teen Wolf season so far and the writers had an unusually short window to write a 12 episode season.  They've the regular time span to write this season and it looks like it has a lot of interesting plot points.  Let's not be like Tumblr on this one.

Okay, I'm sad enough that Derek won't be on, but no explanation?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKAHRrY0XE (About 1:45)

I normally find Posey's silliness fun, but it rubs me the wrong way seeing him laugh about one of the things that has upset fans most each new season (Jackson, Isaac, Danny). Derek is one of the original three main cast from the pilot and the last remaining sane member of the Beacon Hills Hale Pack. As Scott has matured and Derek has mellowed, Derek really has become Scott's wolf brother and a mentor to the wolves. I hope that Posey just doesn't know yet because they haven't seen all the scripts, but it would have been cool for him as a Producer to say to Jeff, "Hey, we should give a reason why Derek isn't around."

• Love 2

Meh, Derek was boring anyway and Tyler Hoechlin is about as emotive as a plank of wood. I know he has a Linklater film in the pipeline, but after that he should make a lateral jump to the CW a la Colton Haynes because that's his level. 

As an aside, MTV contracts must suck.

Which is funny, because he was on 7th Heaven as a teenager.

Tyler H. is lucky that the CW is turning into more of a 20-something/30-something character network, because I would believe Tyler as a teenager like I would believe him as a woman if he were dressed in drag.

• Love 3

Which is funny, because he was on 7th Heaven as a teenager.

He was on 7th Heaven when he was an actual teenager... And he's 27 now. What?

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

I actually find it refreshing how unpolished Posey is. It takes some getting used to though! And it can definitely start to feel old after a while, but I just find him so genuine. 

• Love 2

I don't find Posey's interviews refreshing, I find them unprofessional. But then I also think he's just about the least talented on the show.

Pretty sure everyone agrees with you there.  His scene with Morrell in Season 3A was painful to watch.  

(edited)

I think Tyler Posey seems like a nice guy at heart but his interviews make me think that I would absolutely hate hanging out with him IRL because he comes across as such a bro. Just very, very immature.... and way too into toilet humor. 

I do think he gets an undue amount of flak from the fandom that glosses over similar behavior from Dylan O'Brien. I've heard reports that Dylan was acting in a similarly immature manner at Paleyfest. That's all secondhand since I wasn't at Paleyfest myself, but I was at Comic Con's Teen Wolf panel last year, and remember being bemused at the indignant reports about how Tyler Posey made a "rude" comment towards a fan's question while ignoring that Dylan made a similarly "rude" comment. (My impression of the incident was that both Tyler and Dylan were thoughtless but not malicious. They need a filter.)

I've been reading on Tumblr that the fandom is largely fed up with Teen Wolf because of the changes that have been made. Is that true?

Do you mean this most recent change, i.e. Tyler Hoechlin leaving the show? If you mean changes in general, yeah, that's a common sentiment I've seen in fandom. People are particularly annoyed with all the newbies that Davis seems to be foisting on the show, and they're mad at how the show is hemorrhaging its old principal cast.

Pretty sure everyone agrees with you there.

Well, for me, there's also Tyler Hoechlin. It's a shame that Davis was so intent on focusing on Derek's manpain because the few times that Hoechlin didn't make me cringe was when he was being more comedic, e.g. scaring hapless trick-or-treaters.

Edited by galax-arena

I think Tyler Posey seems like a nice guy at heart but his interviews make me think that I would absolutely hate hanging out with him IRL because he comes across as such a bro. Just very, very immature.... and way too into toilet humor. 

I do think he gets an undue amount of flak from the fandom that glosses over similar behavior from Dylan O'Brien. I've heard reports that Dylan was acting in a similarly immature manner at Paleyfest. That's all secondhand since I wasn't at Paleyfest myself, but I was at Comic Con's Teen Wolf panel last year, and remember being bemused at the indignant reports about how Tyler Posey made a "rude" comment towards a fan's question while ignoring that Dylan made a similarly "rude" comment. (My impression of the incident was that both Tyler and Dylan were thoughtless but not malicious. They need a filter.)

What do you mean by him being a "bro"?  When I go on Tumblr for Teen Wolf stuff, I can't decide if people don't like Scott and by extension Dylan because Scott can be a pretty dull character compared to Stiles, or if it's because of Tyler's acting, or it's because of subtle racial bias.  Tumblr does love its white boys.

(edited)

Just, his sense of humor? I don't know, it feels very juvenile frat boy-ish. The more benign sort anyway (with less misogyny and fewer rape jokes). So not necessarily offensive, but irritating to be around if you're like me and don't get a thrill from burping the alphabet or playing beer pong. :D

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

Yeah, O'Brien hasn't exactly endeared himself to me with his behavior in interviews, though I seem to be in the definite minority of not being charmed by how awesome he supposedly is. At least he has the excuse of being a newbie to the entertainment biz as of the start of Teen Wolf.

• Love 1

They're college-aged guys, so yeah. Immature. The bro humor is eyeroll-worthy and annoying but pretty much par for the course.

I think Posey's acting has improved but nobody can do anything about his lack of onscreen charisma.

Re: Posey & Dylan's behavior, it absolutely is a little about racial bias.  Fandom no matter what can be racist but a fandom mostly made up of young teenage girls?  Yeah.  I think as Dylan gets more used to acting, he's gotten better though.  His interviews for TMR and TW are different (I hope for the promo for The Scorch Trials, he's forced to clean up and NOT look like he just woke up from a week-long bender).  I just think when he gets around Tyler, he slides back to that behavior and vice versa.  I also don't think Tyler cares too much of what he says because I don't think acting is a long-term goal for him anymore so he doesn't care if he ruffles some feathers.  He seems to want to be a musician and judging by some videos on Youtube, his acting is better than his singing and isn't that cringeworthy.

I'm okay with they reducing Derek to a recurring character, he never fit in right after the first few seasons. I like that they are focus on the "teen" characters, Scott, Stiles and Lydia (supposedly).  I actually liked Liam, he seriously was the best thing that came out of last season.  It was nice that they wrote him so that he wasn't aragent or annoying, he is just a normal 14 yr old, who was thrown into this situation. I am interested in what they do with him and Mason. I don't see them as the same as Stiles and Scott (who are still the core of the show). It would be interesting if Mason figures out some stuff on his own. Like that his friend gets weird or disappears on full moons.

This may sound dumb, but are they still in high school?

Huh. I like the second one (which was maybe meant to be the first one?). The one with actual footage, though, left me flat. Too cliche? Flash cuts not enough of the characters I actually care about? Shadowed people in costumes and gloves just didn't feel menacing? Meh. The slow music from the other teaser could have been used with some slightly longer reaction shots from our characters to build more suspense.

I was way more excited by just the thematic trailer of the pack running through ash for s4. Maybe no Derek is killing it for me. :-(

I do think he gets an undue amount of flak from the fandom that glosses over similar behavior from Dylan O'Brien. I've heard reports that Dylan was acting in a similarly immature manner at Paleyfest.

Well yeah they are usually "partners in crime", acting like that on panels, interviews,cons etc. So I dont understand why Posey is the one who gets singled out when usually  he teams up with O'brien in their schemes . 

Teen Wolf Season 5 Promo!

And here's another one.

Thanks. Still It didnt give me something to be excited about, season 4 already killed most of my enthusiasm for this show.

Edited by Conell

Well yeah they are usually "partners in crime", acting like that on panels, interviews,cons etc. So I dont understand why Posey is the one who gets singled out when usually  he teams up with O'brien in their schemes.

I think it's because O'Brien can act and Posey can't. Some people can forgive a lot when there is talent involved. Posey has improved a lot, but I don't see a career for him after this show is over. I can see some fans being pissed when the wooden lead of the show they like decides to be a rude disrespectful jackass. I think the fact that he's the lead isn't making his comments any more palatable either.

I think it's because O'Brien can act and Posey can't. Some people can forgive a lot when there is talent involved. Posey has improved a lot, but I don't see a career for him after this show is over. I can see some fans being pissed when the wooden lead of the show they like decides to be a rude disrespectful jackass. I think the fact that he's the lead isn't making his comments any more palatable either.

Honestly, I haven't seen Tyler say anything that was that rude or disrespectful. Yeah, he's a goof with a Frat boy sense of humor - but so what?

Second of all, I think Tyler can act. Acting talent is obviously subjective. I think Dylan does have some talent, but I think the level of his talent tends to be vastly overstated. But there's also the fact that talent, or lack of, doesn't always have anything to do with the kind of career you have in Hollywood. As someone who has watched soaps for years, it's always tended to amaze me how often someone with true talent IMO would go on to have not much of a career at all, while someone with no talent, or only a modicum amount, went on to big things. Take Brandon Routh for example. I thought he was astoundingly horrendous when he was on OLTL, yet somehow he got cast as Superman, and has kind of parlayed a sustained career based on that. Though I do think he's gotten a lot better as well. 

Unlike a lot of his TW peers, Tyler has actually gotten work before this show and he's still getting work. I don't know how big his role is, but he has a part in the next Kevin Smith movie. That's not on a Maze Runner level, but it doesn't speak to him never getting work again.

• Love 1

Take Brandon Routh for example

Brandon Routh's career is based on one thing: he has the kind of All American Leading Man Good Looks casting agents wish they could bottle, he's practically the very image of what a leading man is desired to look like. But he completely lacks the charisma to back it up, which is why his movie career fizzled and he's become a supporting character in TV shows.

Though that is one reason I imagine Tyler is not likely to get many leading roles(though he seems easy enough to work with that a career in secondary characters seems likely), because he has a really noticable off center jawline, which is cute enough a flaw but casting directors want perfection. Dylan O'Brien has the benefit of having, especially now that he's bulked up significantly and grown his hair out, the kind of face casting agents want leading their productions.

Here's a teaser for the rest of Season 5.  It shows Lydia becoming badass, Kira becoming more like a demon fox, Stiles possibly having killed someone, and Scott losing control of his pack.  It also showcases a bit of that werewolf girl from Episode 2.

The panel seemed pretty typical ... and a little weird? Kevin Smith did a good job moderating. He seems to like Jeff Davis and LOVE Posey and Sprayberry—but not O'Brien and Holland? Sprayberry was also pulling a lot of very strange faces in the background. Cody seemed refreshingly mature and professional. I liked that a lot of the cast recognized fans who have come to other events. Loved Shelley and Holland on women being smart and kickass. My favorite part was that they called Hoech-Bear and he called them back. D'aw!

The panel seemed pretty typical ... and a little weird?

I thought it was just me. I feel like nobody was focusing on the panel. I only have watched half of it but it was all over the place. It could be because I watched AoS right before that and they are obviously more mature lol.