Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Found

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There are far too many loose ends, like ownership of the house and guardianship of Liam. 

I believe Frank still has "part ownership" of the children -- those still minors anyway. Fiona got guardianship but so did Frank -- or he didn't get his rights as a parent revoked.

Liam is fine. he is obviously a survivor.

11 minutes ago, taanja said:

I believe Frank still has "part ownership" of the children -- those still minors anyway. Fiona got guardianship but so did Frank -- or he didn't get his rights as a parent revoked.

Yes he is the other guardian. Fiona got half as did frank but everyone knew Fiona was really getting the kids. As we saw in her last moment “she did it all” Which.. she did.

Also Liam should stay with his friends grandmother if he wants to survive. That’s just how I feel. All the other adults in his life are too in their own lives. 

1 hour ago, taanja said:

That wouldn't have happened in real life, Frank would have been persona non grata at that house. 

They had Debbie as a smart kid too but look at her.  Lip also was a genius teenager and managed to screw that up.  Liam as a teen or young adult will be a different story, just like the rest of them.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, whiporee said:

I don't think the house is tied into the apartment at all. 

<snipped because I agree with everything else you said>

The Gallagher home was most definitely tied into the deal Fiona made with Max to raise the $25k.  I even remember her looking at an apartment at one point, because she was completely convinced she would have to move.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/shameless/277123/shameless-season-9-episode-7-review-down-like-the-titanic

This recap mentions that Max took the apartment from Fiona in exchange for clearing her of "two mortgages."  It also says that Fiona initially got the money for flipping the laundromat.

In trying to find a recap, I came across an interview with the show runner, and it was clear that even he did not understand the financial shenanigans of what was occurring at the time--he was much more preoccupied with the idea of Evil Max and Ford and Fiona's character arc.  So, if the person who is getting paid big money doesn't care enough about the show making sense, I guess I'm not going to put any more effort into it!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

<snipped because I agree with everything else you said>

The Gallagher home was most definitely tied into the deal Fiona made with Max to raise the $25k.  I even remember her looking at an apartment at one point, because she was completely convinced she would have to move.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/shameless/277123/shameless-season-9-episode-7-review-down-like-the-titanic

This recap mentions that Max took the apartment from Fiona in exchange for clearing her of "two mortgages."  It also says that Fiona initially got the money for flipping the laundromat.

In trying to find a recap, I came across an interview with the show runner, and it was clear that even he did not understand the financial shenanigans of what was occurring at the time--he was much more preoccupied with the idea of Evil Max and Ford and Fiona's character arc.  So, if the person who is getting paid big money doesn't care enough about the show making sense, I guess I'm not going to put any more effort into it!

I mean.. it’s kind of funny that the people writing the story don’t even understand what they are writing but it sure as hell explains a lot about this arc. I mean look I’m not pretending I understand it or know it but hilarious that this was the story for the season and the writers didn’t even know anything.

Again. I was really underwhelmed by this. And again.. what’s left isn’t anything for me to care about. I’ll probably check out the first episode of the next season but who knows if I will keep watching. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

I don't think there was a mortgage on the Gallagher house.  Carl gave Fiona his drug/gun running money and she bought it outright.

Yup.

The original family who bought the house, after it was put up for auction, wanted a refund when they learned it was severely in need of repairs. Which is why Fiona & Carl fought over his behavior during the majority of Season 6.

Initially Fiona was against taking his money because it was dirty, then after Nick got arrested and Carl saw how much Fiona was struggling to keep the family together, he dug up the majority of his money, dropped it by Patsy's and told Fiona to buy the house back. Which she did, hence the deed finally being in her name after years of "renting" from Ginger & Patrick.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

With Fiona's departure, I'm done with this show.  Actually I checked out early this season, when I couldn't watch even the first episode without fast-forwarding.  After that, I continued to DVR it, but would come here and read the discussion first, and then decide whether or not I wanted to watch it.  I turned out not watching any of them.  I don't like the person Debbie has grown up to be, I don't like Carl's girlfriends, I don't like Lip's girlfriends, and I'm not interested in any of their adventures.  I used to love this show, and look forward to each episode, but it's so different now.

I did watch this last episode because I wanted to see how they'd handle Fiona's exit.  I wish she had at least said to the mom on the plane, "Your daughter can sit in my seat - but you really should have asked me first."  Politely but firmly correcting the impression that everyone can just treat her as a doormat, even perfect strangers, would be a sign of growth and an indication that she's really making a new start.

One thing I thought I saw on the plane - but apparently I was mistaken, because I haven't seen it commented upon anywhere - happened when the camera backed up the aisle, through the coach section, then through first class.  The last face we saw before the screen went to black was a young man sitting in an aisle seat in first class, and he looked like Jimmy/Steve.  Were we supposed to notice that guy, and think it was him?  Or notice the resemblance, and wonder if Fiona was going to get involved with this guy wherever they land?  Or... was it just me, seeing a twist because I expected one?

• Love 1

The church is in there somewhere.

Fiona never owned or flipped the church. She found a buyer for it that would turn it into something desirable for the neighborhood, because it was very close to her apartment building. Ian wanted to buy it and turn it into a center for troubled teens and they fought over that because Fiona knew it would bring down the value of her apartment property. She eventually found an alternative location for the youth center that Trevor actually liked better. 

On 3/12/2019 at 2:29 PM, jcin617 said:

Liam is very bright; he should petition for emancipation as soon as he can and take of himself.

If the family is getting any kind of government assistance (like EBT), there's no way that Frank will let Liam become emancipated because that will mean less money in his pocket.

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, MamaBird said:

With Fiona's departure, I'm done with this show.  Actually I checked out early this season, when I couldn't watch even the first episode without fast-forwarding.  After that, I continued to DVR it, but would come here and read the discussion first, and then decide whether or not I wanted to watch it.  I turned out not watching any of them.  I don't like the person Debbie has grown up to be, I don't like Carl's girlfriends, I don't like Lip's girlfriends, and I'm not interested in any of their adventures.  I used to love this show, and look forward to each episode, but it's so different now.

I did watch this last episode because I wanted to see how they'd handle Fiona's exit.  I wish she had at least said to the mom on the plane, "Your daughter can sit in my seat - but you really should have asked me first."  Politely but firmly correcting the impression that everyone can just treat her as a doormat, even perfect strangers, would be a sign of growth and an indication that she's really making a new start.

One thing I thought I saw on the plane - but apparently I was mistaken, because I haven't seen it commented upon anywhere - happened when the camera backed up the aisle, through the coach section, then through first class.  The last face we saw before the screen went to black was a young man sitting in an aisle seat in first class, and he looked like Jimmy/Steve.  Were we supposed to notice that guy, and think it was him?  Or notice the resemblance, and wonder if Fiona was going to get involved with this guy wherever they land?  Or... was it just me, seeing a twist because I expected one?

I always assumed she would run off with Jimmy/Steve when I heard of her departure from the show, so I was looking for a sign of him and I didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean much with me. I want to go back and check it out now. 

I cannot blame you for not watching this season, I am hoping I can hang in there for next season but it's looking pretty bleak. They need to do some serious re-figuring if they are going to have a successful season, because there are endless issues beyond ER's departure.

Tami is horrid, I am either completely distracted by the way she towers over Lip or rolling my eyes so hard I can see behind me. I can't with that girl. She isn't even entertaining.  Still haven't figured out why all of these women can't get enough of Lip, I thought maybe it was his pipe laying skills, but according to the bitchy bean-pole...not so much.

Vee and Kevin are (were?) the highlight of the show for me for so many seasons and their stories this season consisted of his sexual stamina and their daycare issues? No thank you.

Frank is completely played out. There is nothing else they can possibly do with him. 

Debbie is not a strong enough character to carry the weight of becoming the Gallagher Matriarch. Not even close. 

Those are just the top 4 reasons off the top of my head.

• Love 2

I know I am late to the party but I have to say that ER and WHM's final scene was fan-fucking-tastic! Absolute tear jerker and very well done. Her departure overall was just right, it wasn't over the top and campy and I didn't need to know where she was going to make it or break it for me. She said somewhere close to the equator and the plane had little palm tree logos on the seats, that was good enough for me.

I have 2 questions if anyone is still around.

1) I don't follow the actors, obviously it was apparent Fiona was leaving because it was advertised, but is Ian no longer a part of the show? Did he just come back for the farewell epi?

2) Did we ever get closure on Carl's crazy girlfriend? The one living in the tent with a bullhorn? I really don't think we know for sure, so I wonder if it is just sloppy writing or if it will come back eventually. 

• Love 1

I know I’ve said it before and I know I’m alone but I didn’t enjoy the WHM and Er final scene. Maybe because I just don’t enjoy their scenes because I don’t get it but whatever. Plus I mean nothing came from it? I feel like we’ve seen a scene with the two of them like this before, Frank ackowldges that Fiona is taking care of the family by saying she helped? This has happened before. Seriously I know I always bring up season 3 but that scene in the courtroom when Fiona was trying to get full custody of the kids and we got her monologue about the time Ian got sick and she had to walk to get to a hospital because her parents left her and then in that same scene we also got a faux Frank monologue about how he loves his kids and his oldest daughter Fiona for helping so much. That to me was a powerful scene. This last one.. just kind of a shrug from me. And I know I’m alone in that. It just felt kind of meh. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

1) I don't follow the actors, obviously it was apparent Fiona was leaving because it was advertised, but is Ian no longer a part of the show? Did he just come back for the farewell epi?

2) Did we ever get closure on Carl's crazy girlfriend? The one living in the tent with a bullhorn? I really don't think we know for sure, so I wonder if it is just sloppy writing or if it will come back eventually. 

1) Cameron Monaghan (Ian) left the show.  His last episode was the one where he was sentenced and jailed for blowing up the van.  This appearance was a cameo to facilitate Emmy Rossum's departure.

2) If I'm right, we were left with the idea that the crazy gf was killed, though I can't remember the details.  This happened right around the time that I decided I was pretty much ready to move on from Shameless, so I stopped paying attention when DH was/is watching for the most part.

Cameron Monaghan left Shameless during the current mid-season (Season 9), but decided to return for next year's season (Season 10).

Carl's wife, Kassidi, was murdered by an overzealous cadet in Carl's military school squad. He believed efficiently getting rid of her would impress Carl.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:17 PM, Gemini Gipsy said:

I know I am late to the party but I have to say that ER and WHM's final scene was fan-fucking-tastic! Absolute tear jerker and very well done. Her departure overall was just right, it wasn't over the top and campy and I didn't need to know where she was going to make it or break it for me. She said somewhere close to the equator and the plane had little palm tree logos on the seats, that was good enough for me.

I have 2 questions if anyone is still around.

Right! I loved that scene.

I was wondering about Kassidy (sp?) the girl Carl married last season. That boy (one of the other soldiers) said he had "taken care of her" -- which??? did he murder her? did she just leave and go back to her rich family? Seems that family would be looking for her if she just disappeared. I kept thinking she was going to come back at the end of this season and mess with Carl and new girlfriend Kelly. I suppose there is always next season? She was way too loud to just go away so quietly. YKWIM?

28 minutes ago, taanja said:

Right! I loved that scene.

I was wondering about Kassidy (sp?) the girl Carl married last season. That boy (one of the other soldiers) said he had "taken care of her" -- which??? did he murder her? did she just leave and go back to her rich family? Seems that family would be looking for her if she just disappeared. I kept thinking she was going to come back at the end of this season and mess with Carl and new girlfriend Kelly. I suppose there is always next season? She was way too loud to just go away so quietly. YKWIM?

The writing alluded to her being killed but that seems like...kind of a big deal just to end it like that, not such a neat little bow. Like you said, surely she would have people looking for her and Carl would be the first one to be questioned as the spouse.  I'm hoping it comes back around somehow. They are going to have to find something interesting to do to make another season work. 

36 minutes ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

The writing alluded to her being killed but that seems like...kind of a big deal just to end it like that, not such a neat little bow.

This is a show that had Fiona fight to gain custody of her younger siblings only to ditch them a season and a half later.

16 hours ago, Dee said:

This is a show that had Fiona fight to gain custody of her younger siblings only to ditch them a season and a half later.

In my vision of the character Fiona-- that is just par for course-- so to speak. She got custody (shared with Frank don't forget) so the kids wouldn't be taken into foster care again. But Fiona was NEVER their mother-- nor did she want to be.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, taanja said:

In my vision of the character Fiona-- that is just par for course-- so to speak. She got custody (shared with Frank don't forget) so the kids wouldn't be taken into foster care again. But Fiona was NEVER their mother-- nor did she want to be.

Fiona was always their mother but the judge actually asked her if she had thought about what she would want down the line but Fiona kinda just shrugged it off saying it didn’t matter.  My guess is that what the judge said would happen actually did happen.  Fiona self destructed because she got to a point where she wanted her own life and started to resent everyone.  That doesn’t mean she hasn’t been theur mothers.  She said it all (too much to repeat) aft Monica died.   Fiona has been the one to take care of everyone since she was a little girl herself.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

Fiona was always their mother but the judge actually asked her if she had thought about what she would want down the line but Fiona kinda just shrugged it off saying it didn’t matter.  My guess is that what the judge said would happen actually did happen.  Fiona self destructed because she got to a point where she wanted her own life and started to resent everyone.  That doesn’t mean she hasn’t been theur mothers.  She said it all (too much to repeat) aft Monica died.   Fiona has been the one to take care of everyone since she was a little girl herself.

I remember watching that scene where the judge was asking her if she really wanted to be the children's guardian because it meant years of sacrifice to her on a personal level-- but I knew then --that Fiona as a Gallagher-- would in some way self-destruct. 

But we can agree to disagree because I never saw her as a mother-- only a big sister doing motherly things. She stated over and over through the years that she was NOT her siblings mother nor did she want to be. I took her at her word. She did the best she could trying to be like a mother -- so I don't fault her wanting to get out and make a life for herself by herself.

• Love 3