Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: My Fault Is Past

Dee
  • Start Topic

With the control of Empire within reach again, the Lyons must pull out all the stops to prove Lucious and Becky's innocence in the data-mining scandal. Meanwhile, Cookie struggles with Lucious past and Jeff Kingsley's place in it, Jamal and Kai try to figure out where they stand and a mystery begins to unravel.

Great return episode. WTH is wrong with Andre? I hope that it isn't serious. 

Terrance Howard was so damn good with in that scene with A.Z. Kelsey (Kingsley) and then Taraji. He gets overshadowed by Taraji's Cookie a lot, but with all his problems, he is still a hell of a talented actor.

It is going to take some time for Cookie to get over Lucious having another son. She needs to focus on the fact Kingsley was conceived before she met Lucious. I did like that her sisters rallied around her. I thought Kingsley's mother was in a coma. How was Cookie talking to her?

I really like Hakeem's fresh approach to his music, but don't want him romantically involved with Poundcake's daughter (can't remember her name).

Kai's face when Andre hung the guy out the window and Lucious laughed and patted him welcoming to the family was classic! I couldn't stop laughing. He doesn't know Jamal if he thinks that he is much different from his father and brothers. The ending of that engagement was best for all.

Jussie was so good in this episode, especially the break up scene. He is such a talented actor. It is sad to think that he threw this great role away.

I was glad that Becky was off the hook for the lawsuit and theft of the data. I was disappointed that she didn't have a scene with Thirsty.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

It sure felt weird watching this episode, wondering how they're going to write Jamal out of the show (I assume that's what's going to happen).

I'm very glad that Cookie and her sisters are all back together. I always like their scenes.

If Tiana and Hakeem have split up, she has no right to be all jealous of Hakeem and Maya's budding relationship. 

Glad the show is back but it sure feels awkward.

• Love 5

Terrence & Taraji were terrific tonight!

Also terrific? Trai Byers. Andre is firing on all cylinders this season.

Jussie is a mess but the scenes between Jamal & Kai were great. Kai has officially become the Kay Corleone of the Lyon Family.

I love Hakeem but he didn't need to be thrust into another relationship so quickly. Poor Tiana.

Giselle & Jeff have grown into complex characters. If neither one of them ends up in the casket, they're certainly welcome to stay.

Candace, Cookie & Carol are always golden. ALWAYS.

• Love 4

I loved the show tonight and it was weird seeing Jussie as Jamal.  Jamal will be written out, but, I hope it is not to put him with Kai. I don't care for Kai.. I always liked that Jamal was ruthless like Luscious.. 

Terrence and Taraji are always fantastic. I am still not convinced that guy is Luscious' son.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I thought Kingsley's mother was in a coma. How was Cookie talking to her?

Tracy is in & out of consciousness. Her drug use caused her to have strokes that have taken their toll on her health.

• Love 1

"Aren't you over trying to do the sixth remix to 'Drip Drop'?"  Oh show.  Never forget the most fantastic cheesy song you ever put out.

Terrence and Taraji were great.  But at this point, this will also become a story of "so how are they going to write Jussie out?"

• Love 7

No matter how hard I try, I can't remember whether we've found out who is in the coffin yet (and I'm not sure I'm going to watch this week's episode to see if it answers that question)?  At this point, a clever writer would put Jamal there.

"Then lets treat him like family...lets tear his ass up!" I mean, those are the words on the Lyon family crest after all! It features a picture of two people dangling someone out of a window!

Oh you guys, that elephant in the room kept waving its trunk at me throughout the whole episode. Oh Jussie, you have so much talent, and you blew it all. I can only assume the show is finding a way to write him off of the show in some way that kind of makes sense ( I mean, they had no idea that what seems like the plot of an episode would become an actual thing!), so maybe they're going to have Jamal move to London with Kai? I mean, if they wanted to be super savage, they would change their original plan and have Jamal be in the casket, but I dont know if I like that. 

Anyway, ignoring all that mega league bullshit, this was a good episode and I am glad to see them moving forward with the plots of most of the cast. Loved Kai getting the full Lyon experience with Andre and Lucious, his eyes were about to pop out! Welcome to the family indeed! Kai really doesent know Jamal if he thinks he is so different from his family though. 

Come on Hakeem, dont get with Pundcakes daughter. Do not go there, it wont end well. Did he and Tiana actually break up, I cant really remember honestly with them. Even if they are, its a tough situation with the kids.

I always love Candace, Cookie, and Carol scenes, glad that things are better with them, at least to an extent. 

Terrence and Taraji are just so freaking good, I cant even. That scene with them had so much going on, and you could just feel Cookies conflicting feelings and all that history. Its why, no matter how Toxic Lucious is, I can never really stop being engaged by him.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

No matter how hard I try, I can't remember whether we've found out who is in the coffin yet (and I'm not sure I'm going to watch this week's episode to see if it answers that question)?  At this point, a clever writer would put Jamal there.

You guys may come for me, but, I don't want Jamal to die. Jussie could fuck off.. The show should recast Jamal.

• Love 3

Bye Kai! He really doesn’t know Jamal to ask him to choose between him and his family. 

I hope Kingsley’s is gone because I was tired of that storyline.  I guess he need to blame someone and the absent father is as good as anyone.  I don’t feel sorry for Tracy, she grew up with privilege and made the choice to use drugs.  That led to her losing her child and her failing health. 

What the heck is wrong with Andre? 

Another romance for Hakeem. Great. Not! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

You guys may come for me, but, I don't want Jamal to die. Jussie could fuck off.. The show should recast Jamal.

ITA. As I was watching, I kept thinking what a great character Jamal was. That breakup scene was beautifully done.

I half expected Kingsley to have "signed" a big ol' FU on the paper that Lucious gave him to sign.

I may have teared a little at the scene between Cookie and Candace reconciling. And also with the high school scene -- can you imagine being called into a school assembly and getting a surprise performance by Jamal Lyon? (Which once again, made the Jussie situation such a damn shame as far as the show is concerned)

And OMG the lil' bit with Lil Buck was EVERYTHING. Hate the Maya character so far. Is the actress an actual ballet dancer? Because really finding it hard to buy her as one.

Also loved the callback to Andre's relationship with God/Church. Really hoping he's ok--I've grown to really love Cookie's "Number One Son" and of course, the actor brings it every time!

• Love 7
23 hours ago, mtlchick said:

"Aren't you over trying to do the sixth remix to 'Drip Drop'?"  Oh show.  Never forget the most fantastic cheesy song you ever put out

Best line of the night!

I will miss the Jamal/Becky friendship. Becky always keeps it real.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Athena5217 said:

Best line of the night!

I will miss the Jamal/Becky friendship. Becky always keeps it real.

The actors are super close in real life, they have a strong bond and are really there for each other. Gabourey is Jussie's biggest fan, she really believes in him, always supporting him in all of his projects. I can only imagine how she will feel when she realizes the truth.. This is just a mess and so sad. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Come on Hakeem, dont get with Pundcakes daughter. Do not go there, it wont end well. Did he and Tiana actually break up, I cant really remember honestly with them. Even if they are, its a tough situation with the kids.

Hakeem and Tiana officially ended it after Bella picked up the gun and they had those intense talks with Cookie and Lucious. They actually ended on a good note. Hakeem was surprisingly mature saying that even though they were no longer good together that they should be good to each and then he made peace with Blake.

• Love 2

I am soooooo tired of Hakeem singing the same damn song Every Single Time (this one was faster but the lyrics remain dumb as dirt and just standard rap crap).  BTW, Tiana, that should be a HUGE clue that Hakeem is never going to grow up.  Get over his skank ass.

18 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

And also with the high school scene -- can you imagine being called into a school assembly and getting a surprise performance by Jamal Lyon?

I thought that was incredibly dumb.  Becky got permission to use the school auditorium (and time) and taught the band a song which wasn't even finished, all in one afternoon.  Yeah, right.

I like having this show back, but I can barely watch Jamal's scenes anymore. Can't wait until that idiot is off my screen.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:37 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Hate the Maya character so far. 

I do too. She's a guest at the Lyon house, plays loud music in the middle of the night, and gives her hosts' son attitude when he asks her to keep it down. What an entitled brat. While the Drip Drop burn was hilarious, Maya still sucks overall. I also don't think she's anything special as a dancer, so I loved that the beautiful man from Memphis showed her up by being both a better dancer and a more gracious and humble human being.

I'm a little confused about when Jeff Kingsley was conceived - before the winter break I thought Jeff was a few years younger than Andre and Lucious definitely cheated on Cookie, but now it sounds like he met Tracy before he met Cookie? Or at least before he became serious with her?

And is it just me, or does Tracy look like an older, hard-living Rhonda?

• Love 2

Episode was quite good thanks to Taraji and Terrence.

Cookie once more trying to save the company from Lucious's mess-ups. SMH. I hope she takes down Kingsley whom Isuspect is not his son. He has some serious daddy issues but you don't solve that by destroying his legacy. The guy is terribly troubled. There has to be more to explain all that pent up anger against Lucious.

I was glad Candace made up with cookie. It was unforgivable when she revealed Cookie' s secret property to Lucious. It was nice to see all the sisters bonding again.

Andre seems to still be trying hard to win his father's favor. I hope this new girl will help pull him together.

So glad childish Kai is gone. Jamal stood his ground as a Lyon. Good for him. Another messed up relationship. I hope he joins Kai in London and be gone. It was quite difficult watching Jamal without thinking about JS lying on GMA about his hoax. I just couldn't get it off my mind. Great career derailed by greed and selfishness. So sad.

Overall a very good episode with some interesting storylines in play. So much to look forward to including Jamal's exit.

• Love 1