Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Nina Says Don't Cry Over Spilt Silk

• Start Topic

On 3/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, violet and green said:

Irina was at another designer's sewing machine again this week, at a crucial point. Poor Dmitri, my beautiful vampire...

Yeah, that is not cool, but I did love Dmitry just shrugging it off and getting down to business on another machine.  Unlike Michelle the other week, and her "woe is me, I'm so put upon, yet still a bad ass" brand of whininess.

2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I thought 'Dima' was her best friend a couple of weeks ago?

She jumped ship to Anthony Ryan sometime after the copying Dmitry's style week, because she thought Dmitry was getting closer to Irina.  But Michelle's still a bad ass, don't ya know.

• Love 1

I love watching shit stirrers and drama people when their shenanigans hit people like Dmitry and just fall apart LOL

Though I don't think Irina tried to stir anything. She said that her enormous gown didn't fit there by the wall. I guess centrally located machine allows more freedom for fabric and carcass to just stay there and not get in the way. Dmitry didn't care one way or another and just took Irina's machine like she suggested. Initial surprise, followed by understanding and accommodating. Like any normal work environment. 

But had it been almost any other contestant there would be another episode of victims'r'us.

• Love 10

Many people are saying the designers couldn't afford to buy enough fabric.  I just looked at Mood's website.  While there is indeed some REALLY expensive silk most of the "better" silk is in the $30.00 range with some being even cheaper.  Allowing some money for notions they could have bought between 8 and 9 yards of fabric.  Plenty to make a floor length dress.  There really was no excuse for Irina to have it that sheer on the bottom.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

That is one of the worst runways I've ever seen. What does Michelle have on these people. How does work this bad not actually hurt some of their careers. 

So will Bravo now also be doing the All Stars?

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, kicksave said:

Something seemed off about Nina Garcia...her voice was weak and soft spoken...then I read that she had a preemptive double mastectomy recently upon finding out that she carried the BRCA gene. I am not a big fan of hers but I do wish her well and applaud her for getting back on her feet and returning to the show for as a guest judge.

Oh I had not heard about this. Nina writes about her journey to her decision here: https://www.elle.com/culture/a26227420/nina-garcia-preventive-double-mastectomy/

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, Snewtsie said:

Solid silk fabric begs to be drape so it can be flowy & flattering & elegant. It made me so sad not one person in that workroom understands draping.  I kept thinking what a beautiful gown Michael Costello would have made. But of course, he has a real brand now. 

This was the saddest runway I have ever seen. They should have eliminated every designer and reworked the final few episodes as interviews with Iris Apfel.

I don't think they had enough money to buy enough silk for something draped. As we saw Irina, Dmitri and even Michelle had problem with having enough fabric and they were trying to extend it however they could. 

Also they were asking for something they never seen before?! Then give them at least 24 hours to do it. In 12 hours you can barely finish simple ball gown, if you want something better they need more time to work. Nobody is gonna try to design something awesome when you know you would send barely covered model on runway. Better safe than sorry

• Love 3

I agree with everyone here - this runway SUCKED! I thought the only choice was Biddell - he’s the only one who made a complete gown. Irina’s would have been best if she competed the whole thing. It looked unfinished.

To me, Dmitry’s dress looked like it was covered with pot leaves.....

The less said about the other two the better. God awful. 

Georgina is looking more orange every week. She’s starting to resemble an Oompa Loompa.....

This season is limping to a conclusion, it’s just morbid curiosity keeping me watching.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, AntManBee said:

I didn’t mind Michelle’s Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman dress.  Louise Lasser would’ve looked great in it.  Filming with a 1977 tv camera could’ve helped.

That monstrosity would only be saved by b&w camera...

lol

• LOL 1

My favorite part of this episode was the conversation between Michelle and Dmitry.

Michelle: Oh, you're using the pinking shears?

Dmitry: The pink...what?

M:  The pinking shears.

Dm:  Oh, is that the official name for these?

M: Yes

Dm:  Oh.  I always call them the zig-zag scissors.

Struck my funny bone for some reason.  Other than that, I have nothing nice to say about this episode.

• LOL 9
  • Love 9

It irks me that none of these people seem to know what foundation garments are.  

Looking at Irina's  . . . dress, I kept thinking, "Your client is meeting the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, and she is wearing that."  I couldn't even make my mind insert QEII in the picture.  

I must be the only one who likes Anne.  She tries every which way each week to say, "Concept is great, work on execution." Or, "Please, please rethink this."  And they have such enormous egos that they hate her for it.  Except, she's right, and their designs really are horrible.  Yet, she picked up on AR's distress and addressed it with constructive advice.  

I liked Biddell's the most and don't understand how it read "daytime."

• Love 15

I don't mind Anne at all.  We, the viewers have no idea exactly how much time she spends on the mentoring each time.  It probably takes hours but all we get to see is what the producers think we want to see.  (obviously they think we only want to see the shit stirring and discontent)  Just like in the original series we don't hear everything that Tim tells the contestants.  Whenever Anne was a guest judge on either incarnation of the show, she had decent criticisms and comments as opposed to those that only know how to snark or quip.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Archery said:

I liked Biddell's the most and don't understand how it read "daytime."

Yeah, where did that come from? A red silk dress pleated to high heaven is 'daytime?' Like, sure, I'd wear that to the office, or the grocery store, or a meeting with my kid's 5th grade teacher. Uh huh.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So you're saying you don't wear full-length, high-fashion gowns to work?  How pedestrian of you.

No Isaac, this is daytime: 

Screenshot (495).png

This is not daytime, this is just ugly!

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Iris Apfel talking about sleeves...sleeves (and pants) require time and space for proper fitting and construction...time they don't have on this show.  You give someone one day to do a ball gown, you're going to get pretty shoddy workmanship.  Example: Michelle's patchwork disaster.  The 2 front straps didn't match!  It was really hideous.  So hideous.  I feel like this season has been endless.  

11 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, where did that come from? A red silk dress pleated to high heaven is 'daytime?' Like, sure, I'd wear that to the office, or the grocery store, or a meeting with my kid's 5th grade teacher. Uh huh.

Well, a few episodes ago they seemed to think women would wear some highly inappropriate stuff to the office. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, which tells me how memorable this season has been, but I suspect it was very short, very low-cut and/or see-through.

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So you're saying you don't wear full-length, high-fashion gowns to work?  How pedestrian of you.

Screenshot (495).png

No one who makes clothes like that should be allowed to be a judge on a fashion show.  That's not daytime, it's never time.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

Well, a few episodes ago they seemed to think women would wear some highly inappropriate stuff to the office. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, which tells me how memorable this season has been, but I suspect it was very short, very low-cut and/or see-through.

It was midriff showing.  Of course that's what we all wear to work right?  I'm old wouldn't that be attractive?

15 minutes ago, Token said:

No one who makes clothes like that should be allowed to be a judge on a fashion show.  That's not daytime, it's never time.

Exactly - how can he judge fashion again?

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, dleighg said:

Alyssa wearing a grey high-necked shiny thing (with huge steel balls on the neck? Huh?) that is 3 inches too short on her small frame. all it does is make her look shorter.

This!  I don't know who dresses AM but they need to be fired.  She routinely looks HORRIBLE--which is ironic on a show like PRAS.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

It was midriff showing.  Of course that's what we all wear to work right?  I'm old wouldn't that be attractive?

Exactly - how can he judge fashion again?

Technically, he sold this venture several years ago.  He is compensated to show up to QVC and hawk the wares.  Apparently, there is a $number$ one can be paid, that will cause one's dignity to take a seat.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Technically, he sold this venture several years ago.  He is compensated to show up to QVC and hawk the wares.  Apparently, there is a $number$ one can be paid, that will cause one's dignity to take a seat.

Since I can't imagine QVC is offering THAT much money can we assume he is really hard up for cash?  Has he done any actual designing lately?

10 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Since I can't imagine QVC is offering THAT much money can we assume he is really hard up for cash?  Has he done any actual designing lately?

I actually think he is probably contracted by the line's owner, I think it's XCel brands or something like that.  They own a few of the product lines sold on QVC.  Anyway, I'm not positive, but I think he does still produce and show a couture line, plus he has a cabaret show that he performs.  I doubt that he's hard up for money, though I have no independent knowledge of that.

Solid silk fabric begs to be drape so it can be flowy & flattering & elegant. It made me so sad not one person in that workroom understands draping.  I kept thinking what a beautiful gown Michael Costello would have made

Or Rami from Season 4.  And they could have made a beautiful off-the-shoulder PRINT GOWN with a fitted waist and flow skirt with some tulle underneath.  Even my mother could have made THAT and made it look better then Michelle's and AR.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Summer '17, IIRC.

Are you kidding?  Why was the broadcast delayed for so long?  How in the world did the end result remain hidden for over a year and a half?  (I'm sure it's spoiled somewhere but, at this point, I'll wait.) 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 6:49 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Screenshot (495).png

I don't get this price. I have a T-shirt and a summertime outdoor tablecloth, both from Dollar General, that I could easily whip this together with for less than $5. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Much if not all of the clothing on QVC is way overpriced.

I have to be honest, I have never watched QVC or ordered anything off it, though my mom did go through a phase in the 80s when she got her first credit card and went apeshit over the porcelain dolls on the HomeShopping Network. 

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, falltime said:

Michelle’s dress is horrendous.

wasn't that Irina's?

ETA: nm. I see they were all there. I thought most of them were awful.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, AuntieDiane6 said:

Or Rami from Season 4.  And they could have made a beautiful off-the-shoulder PRINT GOWN with a fitted waist and flow skirt with some tulle underneath.  Even my mother could have made THAT and made it look better then Michelle's and AR.

Oh, yes, Rami for sure!  His designs were so lovely.

I didn't like ANY of these though, in the pictures above, Dimitri's photographs slightly better than the rest IMO. Michelle's looks like a different dress to me, though still ugly and awful. I don't know if the designers were just so over it for this challenge or if it was a budget/time constraint but egads! No, no, no.

• Love 1

I like the idea of Irina's. It just needs a lot more tulle so it's not see-through. Of course, usually these judges seem to like see-through, but you just don't wear something that might show your underwear (or lack thereof) to a royal ball.

• Love 2

It’s interesting that some people think that Michelle is the Chosen One for this season. I thought it was Irina. She should have been sent home weeks before this for that tacky monstrosity with the crotch length floofy mullet skirt. That was not wearable in public anywhere by anyone. I question her taste level.

I didn’t hate the colors in Michelle’s dress, but I like vintage. The biggest problem with it is that the fabrics didn’t work well together and it was rumpled and messy. Biddell’s red dress really was the best. Dmitry’s looked really good in the sketches, but didn’t work as well in the fabric. It would have been so much better if they all would have avoided appliqué!

I’m tired of this season, and I’m not sure if I want to finish watching it.