Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Nina Says Don't Cry Over Spilt Silk

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I SO want to be Iris when I grow up!

Hee!  I loved her disagreeing with Nina so much.  What can I say, Nina gets on my nerves.

I thought Michelle's and Anthony Ryan's were both hideous, but I would've sent Michelle home.  Anthony Ryan's, at least, looked better made.  If you ignored the feathers.

Oh, Alyssa....  You think it's clear who Biddell is as a designer?  Please elaborate, because, to me, he just rehashes designs we've seen elsewhere every week.  And no designer failed spectacularly this week?  Did ya see Michelle's design?

I thought it was nice of Biddell to tell Michelle she deserved to be there, too, when she was weeping over Anthony Ryan.  He was wrong, but that's neither here nor there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

I don’t think the designers knew what a Royal Ball ballgown was suppose to look like. These were plain old red carpet gowns to me. And most of them were ugly. 

This episode was exciting to me only because I love Iris Apfel and bless her for commenting about sleeves, inappropriateness, and designing for older women. 

• Love 13

Uh... I was almost glad for Nina for a second when she dissented and liked Anthony Ryan's dress... While the feathers did feel off, especially when the dress was standing still, the silhouette was nice and flattering and it looked well finished. I liked the yellow on the sleeves. I didn't mind the feathers as much when it was walking, but I get that the judges didn't like them overall... but still, it didn't make his dress the worst by a long shot. 

Michelle's should have definitely gone home, I can't believe Isaac could call it a crafting/felt project and still think it should stay over Anthony Ryan. 

Dimitri's was okay, it had some good ideas but the execution was lacking and definitely didn't seem fancy enough.

I liked both Biddell and Irina's, though I agree another layer of tulle in her skirt would have helped. The red looked great, though it did make the model look really wide. 

This judging is such garbage.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, raeb23 said:

I would have given the win to Bidell. The fit could have been better but i liked the way he manipulated the fabric. 

I actually liked Bidell's for the most part.  I didn't care for the hips, but the fabric moved like a wave the way the air would lift a layer and then it would lie back down sort of like a crowd wave.  It was really cool.  

• Love 17

Why can't we have pretty dresses anymore. I realize that this was a tough assignment. They were so afraid to come out looking "pageant" that they were frozen. Silk ballgowns should have been flowing and beautiful. These were --- not. 

Irina's looked like a saloon girl extra in Westworld trying to pull focus.  Dimitri's looked a lot like every other dress he's made this season. Biddell's big red monster reminded me of something Bug's Bunny used to chase around. AR was channeling Bea Arthur. Michelle's never came together past the scary-messy stage. They were all so disappointing 😞

• LOL 5
  • Love 16

Irina was at another designer's sewing machine again this week, at a crucial point. Poor Dmitri, my beautiful vampire...

That was one sad runway. I am glad AR has finally gone; he should have gone home week one, or in any of the intervening challenges when he made fugly blue or fugly yellow or fugly blue and yellow outfits. He was really petulant at being the one voted out! And after he'd stolen Sean's fishing lure/feather look, too!

I really enjoyed Iris Apfel. I wish she was a regular judge, to cut through the crap Georgina and Isaac (and even Meana tonight) spin re their favorites.

• Love 15

Meana Irina’s trashy hooker gown - ugh. Bidell should have won. 

Anthony Ryan and Michelle, WTF? I would have sent both of them home.

Iris is a delight!

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 13

I'm not sorry to see Anthony Ryan go home, but how does Michelle keep getting by? Her dress was something to wear out to dinner at a resort, at least Anthony Ryan's was formal.

• Love 11
(edited)

I know a lot of people have soured on Tim Gunn over the years, but many of the designers still respected his opinion and at least when he entered the workroom, the contestants greeted him enthusiastically and with smiles. In contrast, the barely concealed bitch faces and unenthused "ehhhhh" when Anne enters the workroom crack me up. The designers can barely hide their disdain for her. But I appreciate that she could tell Anthony Ryan was down in the dumps and tried to give him a pep talk.

I loved that Iris said that she couldn't wear any of the gowns on the runway. I think both the designers and the judges need to be reminded that not everything is for a flat chested 20 year old girl with 8% body fat.

I didn't have an issue with Dmitry's black and white floral applique design but his dress looked more cocktail than royal ball. There was something about the bodice that wasn't flattering on the model's chest. He did a decent job piecing together enough material to create a full length gown.

I do feel bad when the designers are a little short of fabric. It’s one thing if you have a Butterick pattern in front of you that says you will need 3 yards of this and 3 yards of that AND you have the option of going back to the fabric store to buy more fabric. It’s another thing when you’re guesstimating how much fabric you will need based on an idea you spent 20 minutes sketching. If you haven’t drafted the pattern, there’s no way to know exactly how much fabric you will need. On top of that, they’re constrained by whatever cheap/arbitrary budget the producers have decided to give them for the challenge. Normally for a ball gown, you would get lots of fabric knowing that it will be floor length snd possibly with a fuller skirt, but silk isn’t cheap! 

Michelle was so bitchy about Irina using netting and tulle (meaning not just silk) but I noticed she didn't say SHIT about Anthony Ryan using all those feathers which, hello, ARE NOT SILK EITHER. Apparently Anthony Ryan has caught his BFF Michelle's affectation since he said that his model was going to the cool kids' ball. Eye roll. Again, how is this worthy of a royal ball? It's a fucking caftan with feathers puked all over the front (or, as Michelle described her BFF's dress, a hairy chest). I also didn't like the greyish blue color of the feathers he chose. Alyssa nailed it when she said they looked dirty. High five to whichever judge said the feathers were pigeon colored.

Michelle said her color choices were 70s meets neon but I didn't see any neon in her fabric except one bright pink. When she said she likes things that clash and don't work well together, I thought well, mission accomplished because her gown was ugly. It was a 70s kitchen crafty nightmare. They were given $300 to purchase silk fabrics so her dress should have looked rich but the fabric looked like cheap polyster. It also looked poorly made. The piece of fabric that was hanging off the front of the left strap made it seem like her model got drunk and ripped part of her dress on her way to the runway. The pattern she created with the fabrics was hideous. And why does she keep making patterns that draw attention to the crotch? Why not just draw an arrow? It looked like a cheap dress you'd find on the clearance rack at Forever 21.

Evan's red dress looked like a red carpet dress for an awards show, not a royal ball dress. I didn't hate his dress but I didn't think it fit the challenge. It wasn't flattering on his model so imagine how it would make a woman bigger than a size 2 look. Her hips would look so wide!

Irina's dress had way too much leg showing. If she had added more of the ruffles on the skirt so that there wasn't as much skin showing, it would be the most ballgownish of the five we saw. But it wouldn't be Irina if it didn't look hoochie.

I was with her when she was annoyed with everyone (ahem, MICHELLE) talking about how she made the bodice so quickly and how they act like she just snaps her fingers and things magically get done. Just because she is able to do it quickly doesn't mean that it isn't still WORK. You could learn to make a bodice quickly too if you were wiling to do it over and over and practice and perfect the process, but since certain people kept whining about how "my girl doesn't wear ball gowns" obviously that is never going to happen.

Then I got annoyed with Irina when she was using Dmitry's machine and she told him that he could use hers. Or you could use your own machine, Irina!

I laughed and laughed when it was obvious that Michelle and Anthony Ryan, the two pets of the season would both be in the bottom two. FINALLY, we are rid of one of these deadweight designers who keep making hideously fugly garments week after week. I would have sent Michelle home because her dress looked cheap, ugly, and poorly made. Anthony Ryan's was was not great either but at least it looked like it cost more than $10 at the mall and you could tell that his material was silk, unlike Michelle's.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typos
  • Love 21

Poor Alyssa standing next to Nina at the beginning. Nina is wearing a gorgeous floral dress that flatters her. Alyssa wearing a grey high-necked shiny thing (with huge steel balls on the neck? Huh?) that is 3 inches too short on her small frame. all it does is make her look shorter.

• Love 13

The part I really disliked about Irina's dress is the way those ruffles on the skirt just stopped halfway down the skirt. To me it looked like she screwed up and ran out of ruffle. They should have extended all the way to the bottom. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, violet and green said:

I am glad AR has finally gone; he should have gone home week one, or in any of the intervening challenges when he made fugly blue or fugly yellow or fugly blue and yellow outfits.

This does not excuse him in any way, but it might explain his dependence on neutrals blues and yellows.

Dude is color blind.  This came out in a previous season.  I doubt he can use anything red because that color is not real to him.   Mr. Ecats is also red green color blind and what he thinks looks good together might look good to him, but not to anyone else.  I'd expect AR has learned not to use colors that he can't see the way the rest of the world sees them.

• Useful 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, jrlr said:

I must be the only one who can't stand Irinia (smug, sour and bitchy) OR her designs.  Sorry, but you wouldn't get through the door to the palace wearing that trashy looking theatrical costume that would be more at home on the set of some 1950s musical (where she could just whip that "skirt" off and start high-kicking across the stage) than either a runway or a royal ball.  How on earth did that read "royal" to anyone?  I think her sewing skills are great and her taste level is Frederick's of Hollywood.

I question her taste level, too.  That skirt had a long slit up to the top of her thigh, on top of being transparent.  I do not think The Queen would be amused by that Moulon Rouge reject.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Poor Alyssa standing next to Nina at the beginning. Nina is wearing a gorgeous floral dress that flatters her. Alyssa wearing a grey high-necked shiny thing (with huge steel balls on the neck? Huh?) that is 3 inches too short on her small frame. all it does is make her look shorter.

Shorter and stumpy; Nina looked like a supermodel next to her. Also, you forgot Alyssa's hairstyle: thin little Swiss Miss braids twisted around her head. Jeez.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

This does not excuse him in any way, but it might explain his dependence on neutrals blues and yellows.

Dude is color blind.  This came out in a previous season.  I doubt he can use anything red because that color is not real to him.   Mr. Ecats is also red green color blind and what he thinks looks good together might look good to him, but not to anyone else.  I'd expect AR has learned not to use colors that he can't see the way the rest of the world sees them.

There are websites that let non-colorblind folks see something how a colorblind person would see it. I’ve thought about doing that with AR’s designs. I think the yellow might be giving the most contrast for him to other colors, and it helps me understand his choices. 

I was confused by my reaction to Michelle’s fabric choices. When she was whining about the fabrics being ugly, I thought they matched better than most of the fabric sets she’s used all season. I didn’t hate them, but I did hate what she did with them. I don’t think she picked the right foundation fabric color that complemented the others. And I agree with the comments above about the other issues. 

• Love 3

Iris is everything. I covet the turquoise necklace she was wearing. It is gorgeous and worth a mint. 

I knew AR was going home from the start with the sad and tired storyline. I get it. It would be gruelling to do the show, but he is overrated and was lucky to be a favourite amongst the judges. His gown was hideous. It looked like a sheet with feathers glued on it. However, It was nice to see Anne show some compassion and give AR a hug. 

Michelle...there is no words for her arrogance. She was very smug when she saw that Iris was a judge, and was 'soooo glad that she did colour'  Bish, it is not in the bag because you chose some random colour palette sponsored by Crayola. But she gets an award for most dramatic performance when  AR was given the boot. Crocodile tears. 

Irina's gown would work for a  Playboy Gala Ball, but way to slutty for a Royal Gala. The gown was very Frederick's of Hollywood. 

Biddell's gown would not suit most bodies, but it was made well, and looked the most expensive, and regal. However,  I'm surprised he didn't get called out for making those big hip wings. No woman wants bigger hips. Iris was very diplomatic and said she liked the accessories. Ha!

I didn't mind the top half of Dmitry's and with more time it could be made into a decent looking flapper-style dress. If he added some beading detail and and reworked the bottom half of the dress it would be stunning.  

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, jrlr said:

Sorry, but you wouldn't get through the door to the palace wearing that trashy looking theatrical costume that would be more at home on the set of some 1950s musical (where she could just whip that "skirt" off and start high-kicking across the stage) than either a runway or a royal ball.  How on earth did that read "royal" to anyone?

This made me laugh out loud. And I completely agree.

• Love 2

Color blind doesn't explain why Anthony Ryan couldn't construct a dress more complicated than a caftan.

Biddell apparently didn't get the memo that said:  "Just keep doing one thing over and over again.  That's all we want."  Everyone else sure did.

Irina is just an ugly ugly person.  Everyone else throws shade during the THs, in private.  She does it in the workrooms in front of everyone.

I just kept thinking that Mood must have had some pretty silk fabric.  In appropriate colors even.  But, other than Biddell's red, none of these "designers" could manage to find it, or use their imaginations enough to design something that would use it.  Pitiful.

• Love 11

Solid silk fabric begs to be drape so it can be flowy & flattering & elegant. It made me so sad not one person in that workroom understands draping.  I kept thinking what a beautiful gown Michael Costello would have made. But of course, he has a real brand now. 

This was the saddest runway I have ever seen. They should have eliminated every designer and reworked the final few episodes as interviews with Iris Apfel.

• LOL 6
  • Love 17

I was confused by my reaction to Michelle’s fabric choices. When she was whining about the fabrics being ugly, I thought they matched better than most of the fabric sets she’s used all season. I didn’t hate them, but I did hate what she did with them. I don’t think she picked the right foundation fabric color that complemented the others. And I agree with the comments above about the other issues. 

My stomach hurt to see the criminal treatment Michelle gave her silk. Interpret Dmitry's design using Michelle's colors, and it might be quite stunning. 

I suspect none of them would have been able to buy the volume of silk fabric they would need truly to create a ball gown. Pity Mood doesn't offer parachutes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

If Bravo and Magical Elves wanted to officially design an episode that would advertise why PR needs to leave Bunim-Murray and Lifetime immediately— even if it costs us Heidi and Tim—  I’m not sure they could have done a better job than what we saw tonight.

The editing of tonight’s show was so worn out and obvious that my husband and I both turned to each other literally eight minutes into the show and said “Anthony Ryan’s going home.”  The organization of the show is so constantly, tediously exactly the same: A) here’s a shot of a contestant working on a dress B) here’s another contestant criticizing that dress C) repeat steps A & B over and over.  And all of these finalists feel creatively spent and uninspired.  Dimitri and Irina seem bored.  Michelle doesn’t, but even without getting into her past personality, her work has been awful and insanely over-rated.  Bidell is fine, I guess, but not exactly a dynamo of either exciting design or personality.

It feels like every aspect of PR is so exhausted and dead right now that the only person who seemed to actually have a pulse tonight was the 95 year old.  

I’m just thinking that whatever Bravo does with PR when they get it back, it can’t be worse than this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Does being color blind mean you only choose harsh and ugly shades of the colors you can recognize, though? Aside form that, you can do a lot with neutrals, as Christina has shown. Anyway, gone.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, raeb23 said:

I know the judges all loved Irina's corset but something about the ruffles at the top felt off to me, as though there were too many rows of it or something. I didn't think it flattered the model. Getting it done in one day was commendable though. I wish she'd added another layer of tulle to the skirt though. It would still be sheer but not transparent. Her 'sexy' often reads as 'tacky' to me.

I would have given the win to Bidell. The fit could have been better but i liked the way he manipulated the fabric. 

It seemed like Irina’s corset stuck out away from the model’s chest.  Like there was a gap between the ruffles and her skin.  It did look off.  I’ve only ever worn a corset once (wedding dress) and it curved back up over my bosom.  Thankfully.  Because I got a lot more going on up there than that model.

I liked Bidell’s the best also.  I thought the jewelry was too much thought, especially the earrings.  When you have that much going on with the dress why pull attention towards her ears?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I SO want to be Iris when I grow up!

I loved when she told Nina that if she (Nina) wanted to see something new, she'd have to go to another planet.

8 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Maybe Michelle is color blind too, but she hasn't learned not to use those colors.

You know, I've never been to a royal ball either, but I've seen pictures. I saw "The Princess Diaries," which had a royal ball (with a nice gown appropriate for an older woman also). In my mind, a gown for a royal ball should have a very full skirt, but I doubt they were able to buy enough fabric for that or for whatever you'd need to wear under it.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm not sorry to see Anthony Ryan go home, but how does Michelle keep getting by? Her dress was something to wear out to dinner at a resort, at least Anthony Ryan's was formal.

Exactly! Anthony Ryans' caftan look was a huge fail but Michelle's Girl Scouts craft project was even worse. For some reason the judges, in particular Isaac Mizrahi, LOVE Michelle and thing she's so innovative and creative. She really lacks originality and finesse. She thinks very highly of herself and really throws all the other designers under the bus. Who will be her best friend now that Anthony Ryan is gone?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Shorter and stumpy; Nina looked like a supermodel next to her. Also, you forgot Alyssa's hairstyle: thin little Swiss Miss braids twisted around her head. Jeez.

Something seemed off about Nina Garcia...her voice was weak and soft spoken...then I read that she had a preemptive double mastectomy recently upon finding out that she carried the BRCA gene. I am not a big fan of hers but I do wish her well and applaud her for getting back on her feet and returning to the show for as a guest judge.

• Love 12

My main experience with ballgowns is the wedding dresses on Say Yes to the Dress.  Nobody would ever say Yes to the "ballgowns" that went down this runway. 

They all seemed baffled by the concept of a royal ball.  But wouldn't they all have heard of Prince William and Princess Kate?  Someone even brought up Megan Markle. "Design a gown for a guest going to Kate's or Megan's birthday ball."  It shouldn't have been a mystery.  Maybe not doable with the amount of time and fabric they could buy, but none of those dresses even hinted at royal ball.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

He said caftan, I said wot.  He said caftan, I said wot ... 

Get along, Little Debbie.   And don't let your hat smack you in the ass on the way out.

I agreed with Irina when it came to the others making excuses or snarking on her.   If their attitude is "I can't make a gown, I usually just make socks," they shouldn't be anywhere near this competition.

I just loved Georgina's dress.   It looked like a delicate painting with filigree.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, violet and green said:

Does being color blind mean you only choose harsh and ugly shades of the colors you can recognize, though? Aside form that, you can do a lot with neutrals, as Christina has shown.

The short answer is NO. One of Mr. EB's friend is color blind and he's also an artist. His paintings are full of beautiful colors. It always amazes me how he manages to choose colors that go together so well. And he doesn't stick to neutrals or avoid red/green. Some of his paintings have dozens of colors and he always manages to choose the right shades so that they work well together.

He did have one memorable color gaffe when he showed up wearing green pants. Mr. EB said, "Did you know that you have on green pants?" and his friend said, "Uh, no. Are you serious?" When he bought them, he thought they were a totally different color.

• Love 6