Type keyword(s) to search

Family Food Showdown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I haven't quite decided what I think about this show.  I like Valerie and I've liked all the judges so far but I wish the families weren't so hyper.  I suppose the producers tell them to amp up the excitement and all the lovey-dovey interaction but I find it annoying.  

1 hour ago, mlp said:

Has this show been canceled already?  Both the FN site and Comcast had it listed at 7C.  So did my DVR but what I got was a rerun of GGG.  

I believe the first two eps have already aired, and episode 3 is tonight (3/18, 10 pm ET)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mlp said:

Has this show been canceled already?  Both the FN site and Comcast had it listed at 7C.  So did my DVR but what I got was a rerun of GGG.  

I wondered the same thing when I had the same experience.

15 hours ago, opus said:

I believe the first two eps have already aired, and episode 3 is tonight (3/18, 10 pm ET)

Thanks for the response. Wonder why they switched up the scheduling already?

I commented in another thread that I'm not sold on the format of this. I thought the family who won the second episode only did so because they pulled out a dead father story on the last round, whereas the other family won the previous two rounds. Seems like there should be a better way to score this.

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed tonight's episode. The Harris family made food I would have loved to have eaten. They were also quite likeable!! I also enjoyed the judges! The Voltaggio Brothers were fun as was the female judge(can't remember her name...sorry). I liked that they had judges who know food...and they had some good comments. Not sure that this show will succeed but at least I enjoyed this episode.

***Did anyone else notice that Guy Fieri was one of the producers?

• Love 2

I enjoyed the episode too and I was very happy that the Harris family won.  I liked all three of them.  The very cute son got some absolutely awesome feedback from the Voltaggio brothers.  They must have been really impressed.  

Michael V. looked like he'd been sleeping on the streets the last time I saw him.  It was nice to see him looking good and acting cheerful.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, suebee12 said:

The Voltaggio Brothers were fun as was the female judge(can't remember her name...sorry).

I've had a crush on Bryan since their Top Chef season. Loved hearing his dorky laugh multiple times tonight. Liked both families and the food looked good.

I don't really like the whole thing with kicking family members out of the kitchen each round. Though, the kitchens are a bit small for 3 people.

This was the first ep I've seen & it was the right one to see, since I was all in once I saw Bryan. I did seek it out  On Demand after and watched Ep1.  Clinton Kelly sure loves potatoes!

• Love 1

I detest the whole concept of "kid" food. There should be no difference between a sandwich made for a child and a sandwich made for an adult.  Feed real food to your children.  

Roux takes a few minutes to cook, not hours.

What is that dead animal on the host's head? And why is she standing as if she needs to go to the toilet?

Please stop with the ubiquitous not very hot red sauce whose name I will not name.

Making mayonnaise from scratch is not difficult.

49 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I detest the whole concept of "kid" food. There should be no difference between a sandwich made for a child and a sandwich made for an adult.  Feed real food to your children.  

What is that dead animal on the host's head? And why is she standing as if she needs to go to the toilet?

Please stop with the ubiquitous not very hot red sauce whose name I will not name.

Making mayonnaise from scratch is not difficult.

I agree with your thoughts on "kid" food and mayonnaise.

Making a dark roux actually can take hours. When I make gumbo, I make the roux in a low oven for even heat and it takes a couple of hours to get as dark as I want it (the oven just means I don't have to stir all the time).

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Voltaggio brothers in the latest episode.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

This very much depends on what you want your roux to do. Simply thicken the dish sure that only takes minutes but if you want it to be a favorable component of your dish that you taste on its own that does take much longer.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Making a dark roux actually can take hours. When I make gumbo, I make the roux in a low oven for even heat and it takes a couple of hours to get as dark as I want it (the oven just means I don't have to stir all the time).

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This very much depends on what you want your roux to do. Simply thicken the dish sure that only takes minutes but if you want it to be a favorable component of your dish that you taste on its own that does take much longer.

Does either of you have a link to recipes where the roux is a main flavor component, not just a thickener? 

Edited by Brookside

I completely forgot this show existed and missed it last night. Did I miss anything?

You missed Bryan Voltaggio and Isaac Toups on the same judging panel!  Also Daphne Oz whom I try to ignore.  The teams were a mother and two daughters from the south somewhere and a couple siblings and their cousin with Dominican Republic heritage.  The southern team won which, I thought, was the right decision.  This show isn't Top Chef by any means but I like it. 

I like Valerie a lot as a host but I wish she'd stop lightening her hair.  I think it makes her look older which is the opposite of what I imagine she's going for.  She's very, very attractive.  She ought to leave well enough alone.

• Love 2

This show is enough fun to keep me watching. Last night was my favorite episode so far, though. The two teams just seemed like lovely people. The Dominican family lost the first round, then when the Southern family (I missed the first few minutes, so I am borrowing mlp's identifiers) lost the second round and were disappointed, one of the Dominican women  called out that it just meant they were even now. I am not capturing it well, but she was being nice, and both teams just made it a pleasure to watch. Competitive, but classy. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Way to go Valerie for chastising those twins for not using all their time.  (Episode 2.)

I was embarrassed for the guy (a professional cook) who pronounced sautéed as saltéed

Edited by Brookside
(edited)

Two new episodes tomorrow, including one at 11pm EST. According The Food Network thread around here...

....Family Food Showdown is doing bad in the ratings (you’ll have to jump to page 15). Is it being burned off?

Edited by opus

I actually enjoyed tonight's show mostly because of the judges! Unlike American Idol judges, they gave some good constructive criticism's and I love the Voltaggio Brothers. Their season of Top chef was my favorite.  The food looked yummy also. One thing I wonder about is if the contestants are kept so that they don't see how the actual challenges work. Do they know how the eliminations of the chefs are done? If there is a second season(and I seriously doubt it), that "secret" is done for.

• Love 1

I've enjoyed this show but last night's was probably my least favorite episode as I wasn't crazy about anyone on either team.  I did think the right team won, mostly because I trust the Voltaggio brothers.  

A second season is a bit doubtful at this point because the ratings haven't been great but, if there is one,  I think they'll have to change the game play.  I assume they filmed all the episodes well before the first show aired so all the teams were in the dark about the challenges.  Now, as stated above, the secret is out so new teams will be prepared if nothing changes.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that this was renewed even though I happened to like it.  I like Valerie a lot and I adore Jet Tila.  I never really disliked Christian Petroni but he always looked like personal hygiene wasn't his strong suit.  He seems to have cleaned up and bought a couple new shirts so I'm OK with him now.  It'll be interesting to see what changes they've made because the twists in the first season aren't going surprise anyone in the second assuming prospective contestants watched the show at least once.

• Love 2

Sorry for putting this here but I did not see another topic and it is somewhat relevant. I saw Ayesha Curry's show "Family Food Fight" last week and I have a chicken/egg question. Did the FN rip off ABC's concept or did ABC rip off FN? FFF seems like a higher budget version of the FN show, albeit one with more annoying "characters" and trash-talking.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, jcbrown said:

Sorry for putting this here but I did not see another topic and it is somewhat relevant. I saw Ayesha Curry's show "Family Food Fight" last week and I have a chicken/egg question. Did the FN rip off ABC's concept or did ABC rip off FN? FFF seems like a higher budget version of the FN show, albeit one with more annoying "characters" and trash-talking.

The ABC show is an American version of an Australian show from a few years ago.