Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E03: Betrayals Are Going to Get Exposed

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, mertensia said:

I was somewhat surprised that Keith was the big explorer on the quest for rice (soon to be a Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay blockbuster movie) while Reem whined about everything as she dragged behind him. And lady, at least you got rice. 

I can't help wondering if the rice had been there all along. When Reem was too lazy to look for it herself, they decided to leave the treasure maps to insure she wouldn't convince Keith there was nothing to look for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm on an island of one who thinks that Wendy is just being herself, not "trying hard" to "be a personality".  And I honestly have no problem with it.

Well, shove over and make room for me! I hope you saved me some rice. I adore Wendy, and I also think she is just being herself. I like her mischievousness, and her good humor, and the stoic way she swam hard despite her painful ankle injury.

She is even making me start to like David, and "Devens," who are showing a bit more humanity, and given me some more people to root for outside of the outcasts on Extinction, and Victoria's gorgeous red hair (undo those plaits, girl, I want to see it glisten in the sunshine), and I guess for old time's sake, Aubry.

• Love 4

Bye Chris, we hardly knew ye. Literally. 

I guess I’ll learn people’s names as they “leave”/go to EOE. I’m still trying to figure out who Eric is (I think that’s his name). He’s from my neck of the woods so I feel like I should root for him (I saw Tai once near the Embarcadero, and yes, I did root for Adam because we both worked for nonprofits in SF).

20 hours ago, violet and green said:
22 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

They were going to eat the rooster. Roosters typically don't produce many eggs.

Also, Wendy, the sanctimonious moron, wanted to let the chickens loose, which would mean no eggs or meat.

We don't know it is a rooster. The Warthog just said it was a rooster, 'the black one', but I saw no evidence it was.

18 hours ago, violet and green said:
18 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Probst told them there were 3 hens and one rooster.

I don't trust The Warthog to identify a rooster.

The Warthog isn't the one who identified anything for the tribe.  It was Probst who did it as the voice of the production.  I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.  Do you think production is lying?  They have presented groups of one rooster and two or three hens as challenge rewards for season after season, largely because so many Survivors along with their fans at home don't understand how chickens work.

17 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

OH, the annual rooster vs hens eggs vs meat discussion. How I have missed you so. And I choose one post at random, not meant as a slight. Unless Papertree feels slighted that I didn't think that this one post was amazing. In that case it was not a random choice and the post was amazing. I just so love the rooster/hen discussion we get to have every year.

Exactly.  Maybe  we need to explain roosters/hens/eggs in the Survivor Faction thread.  LOL.

• Love 3
On 3/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

I'm embarrassed to be discussing Survivor and using the name "Wardog" with a straight face.

I thought the 'extinction' part of the title was always the most ridiculous part, no wonder Probst doesn't bother using the season title on the vote out.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The Warthog isn't the one who identified anything for the tribe.  It was Probst who did it as the voice of the production.  I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.  Do you think production is lying?  They have presented groups of one rooster and two or three hens as challenge rewards for season after season, largely because so many Survivors along with their fans at home don't understand how chickens work.

Oh, exqueeze me?! Warthog, not Jif, said: we're going to eat the rooster, the black one.

The point I made was fairly simple - it is quite hard to definitively sex a chicken, particularly as they are in a foreign country, with very different breeds.

I keep chickens. I understand chickens better than most, I'd say.

3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Exactly.  Maybe  we need to explain roosters/hens/eggs in the Survivor Faction thread.  LOL.

Yeah, LOL. I suggested this last season, and it is now already there.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, LanceM said:

Secret scene of the man formerly known as Dan making fun of Big Wendy limping around camp. Kelley finds it hilarious. David not so much.

What can you say?  Douches gonna douche.

ETA: You know what would’ve been absolutely Hollywood-perfect in this clip?  Warty tripping during his aping of Wendy, and busting his own ankle.  Not that I’m wishing harm on anybody, but ya gotta love it when Karma pulls a brake check. 😉

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

I thought the 'extinction' part of the title was always the most ridiculous part, no wonder Probst doesn't bother using the season title on the vote out.

Yes, extinction is not the right word, unless you are the last of your species.  All the castaways appear to be of the human species, which has a population of over 7 billion.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

What can you say?  Douches gonna douche.

ETA: You know what would’ve been absolutely Hollywood-perfect in this clip?  Warty tripping during his aping of Wendy, and busting his own ankle.  Not that I’m wishing harm on anybody, but ya gotta love it when Karma pulls a brake check. 😉

Meh.  Warthog is a douche, but I suspect Wendy has been very, overdramatic about her injury.

They had to carry her up the hill, but she had no problem scampering off with the flint. I believe she also climbed back up the same hill with no issues, later.

I think David's "weak kid syndrome" is causing him to trust Wendy too much. Physical weakness is morally neutral.  But, David seems to view it as a virtue and therefore has an overly charitable view of Wendy, who is already one of the slimiest castaways in Survivor history.

I think him associating weakness with nobility might be why he bought her obvious lie about not stealing the flint.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3
On 3/6/2019 at 8:08 PM, Haleth said:

Ok, Wendy can leave now. She isn't as adorable as she thinks she is. 

I liked her at first, but I'm with you - she really thinks she is so cute. And as someone posted up thread, her necklace says "Big Wendy"...REALLY???  She can go now. But then again, I'd rather see WENTWORTH go. Just have not liked her since she first showed up on Survivor years ago. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Even better if he'd fallen on Wentworth and taken her ankle out at the same time. I mean, really. Wendy is hobbling on what we saw was a purple, swollen ankle that Medical saw fit to wrap up, and Wentworth is so undone with laughter she has to double over and cover her mouth and bury her face in her hands because Wardog is mocking that injury. But it's Wendy who's being dramatic? Sure, Jan.

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Meh.  Warthog is a douche, but I suspect Wendy has been very, overdramatic about her injury.

Oh, my thought had nothing to do with Wendy, or how much she may have been exaggerating - just that it would’ve been absolutely hilarious if Wart injured himself in exactly the same way as the injury he was mocking.  😄

3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think him associating weakness with nobility might be why he bought her obvious lie about not stealing the flint.

Actually, I thought Wendy pulled off the flint lie pretty well - no exaggerated expressions or facial tics, no immediate vehement denials - just an offhand “Chris had it last”, which was the same thing several people at camp had said.

• Love 2

I’m actually interested in the extinction twist.  Life isn’t comfy for them. It’s even less comfy than the season where one tribe was down to one member.   I’m wondering how many more can go and how many will decide to leave after they get there:  and if Jeff will call them quitters. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I wish that at Extinction Island they actually had nice comfy beds and gave them decent food, so that when they come back, they would have a physical advantage.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of it.  It is supposed to be brutal and force players to make a choice between giving up and suffering for a shot at getting back in the game.

But, maybe they could try a season where this first few voted out get sercretly sent off to a luxury resort and some or all come back into the game at a later point.  I'm not sure it is a great idea, though.  

1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m actually interested in the extinction twist.  Life isn’t comfy for them. It’s even less comfy than the season where one tribe was down to one member.   I’m wondering how many more can go and how many will decide to leave after they get there:  and if Jeff will call them quitters. 

It will also be interesting to see if they increase the rice rations as more people arrive, or if they force them to race to find it first, and then decide who, if anyone, to share with.  Would one person keep it all?  Would they share with only their allies or would they share equally?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It will also be interesting to see if they increase the rice rations as more people arrive, or if they force them to race to find it first, and then decide who, if anyone, to share with.  Would one person keep it all?  Would they share with only their allies or would they share equally?

I agree.  I want something to happen.  If it's just sitting around watching people go for their daily hike for rice, it will get very boring very quickly.  I want to see if they are going to devolve into some kind of "Lord of the Flies" society.  Who will be strong and endure?  Who will be weak and get crushed by a giant boulder like Piggy?

There had better be a bigger payoff for EoE otherwise I feel like we are sitting through boring scenes that are taking away airtime from what is happening with the people that are still in the game proper.

• Love 3

Do you mean in front of the other contestants at Tribal? I expect he doesn't want to say Edge of Extinction because the whole castaway island thingy is a secret nobody finds out about until they're voted off. If he kept saying Edge of Extinction they'd probably wonder what the hell he was talking about and somebody would figure it out.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Do you mean in front of the other contestants at Tribal? I expect he doesn't want to say Edge of Extinction because the whole castaway island thingy is a secret nobody finds out about until they're voted off. If he kept saying Edge of Extinction they'd probably wonder what the hell he was talking about and somebody would figure it out.

Good point, that could be the reason he said "The 3rd person voted out of Survivor (no EOE) is Chris."

In an earlier episode Joe and another Kama member were trying to figure out what EOE meant.

3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Even better if he'd fallen on Wentworth and taken her ankle out at the same time. I mean, really. Wendy is hobbling on what we saw was a purple, swollen ankle that Medical saw fit to wrap up, and Wentworth is so undone with laughter she has to double over and cover her mouth and bury her face in her hands because Wardog is mocking that injury. But it's Wendy who's being dramatic? Sure, Jan.

But Wendy was able to run off with the stolen flint and climbed the same hill they carried her up after the challenge.  

I wonder what the timing of Warthogs mimicry was.  If it was right after they got back from the challenge she was injured in, that would be a lot worse than if she was limping around, like Greg House, with her makeshift cane, after they saw her getting around fine, earlier.    

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

29 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Good point, that could be the reason he said "The 3rd person voted out of Survivor (no EOE) is Chris."

In an earlier episode Joe and another Kama member were trying to figure out what EOE meant.

Hmm.  But in the very first episode, when they were all on the boat, after the 4 returning players had climbed aboard, he already said the name.  He was long-winded and overly dramatic as usual, saying something about how the theme they were exploring this season was just when you think you have given it everything you've got, you have to find something inside of you to push forward and keep going.  "This is..... Survivor.  Edge of Extinction."  And then everyone whooped and hollered.

So I'm not sure why Joe and the other person were confused about what EoE meant, unless they just didn't hear him or were too excited and couldn't remember.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2019 at 6:34 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I hate when players blab about tribe dynamics and what they are thinking at TC.  They should follow Vito Corleone's rule and never tell anyone outside the alliance what they are thinking.

I would answer all of Jeff's questions with a combination of nodding and shaking my head at the same time and a bunch of cliches, like "You never know, Survivor is a crazy game", "You have to take it one TC at a time.", "I just want to help the tribe."

I would be the same.  It makes you look boring on TV, but it gives you a better chance of winning.  As a viewer, I want blindsides and some drama to entertain me, but as a player, I'd be trying to win, not to be an entertaining character.

I don't even think I would talk about strategy in my confessionals, because Jeff sometimes asks leading questions in tribal council that seem to be based on what players say in their "private" confessionals as well.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

I don't watch Big Brother because the premise that you get voted out of one house just to go to another house is just too stupid. They're doing the same thing with edge of extinction.

54 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But Wendy was able to run off with the stolen flint and climbed the same hill they carried her up after the challenge.  

I wonder what the timing of Warthogs mimicry was.  If it was right after they got back from the challenge she was injured in, that would be a lot worse than if she was limping around, like Greg House, with her makeshift cane, after they saw her getting around fine, earlier.    

Limping around isn't really going to help you in these early stages of a season, so I'd be surprised if she was putting it on.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I agree.  I want something to happen.  If it's just sitting around watching people go for their daily hike for rice, it will get very boring very quickly.  I want to see if they are going to devolve into some kind of "Lord of the Flies" society.  Who will be strong and endure?  Who will be weak and get crushed by a giant boulder like Piggy?

There had better be a bigger payoff for EoE otherwise I feel like we are sitting through boring scenes that are taking away airtime from what is happening with the people that are still in the game proper.

Season 39 should be "Survivor: Lord of the Flies". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

She walked home from the challenge and as she did so her ankle began hurting and throbbing more and more, she said, until she realised she had injured it quite badly by dropping the heavy part on it, getting her tribe that wheel. Then they carried her up the hill.

She sat with it elevated for a while, as we saw. We didn't see when the medic came and assessed and bandaged it, but once an injury of the foot is bandaged it's easier to walk on it. And she had been able to walk on it in some way prior. Maybe the pain of taking off with the flint was worth it.

At some point (who cares when) she makeshifted a crutch, to assist with the pain when walking. That may have been a day later for all we know, there is only so much sitting and resting and elevating you can do, and one has calls of nature to answer. We have seen her with it elevated, we have seen the degree of bruising - and from  past experience when the bruising is that bad that fast it is a painful injury - and we have seen her with it bandaged and the bandage dirtying from wear. Time is passing in the footage we've seen, therefore. She is not just bunging it on. And I don't think she has been 'getting around fine' at any point since the challenge where she injured it.

But nasty pasties will mock anyone they see as weaker than them. I can't think of when a good time would be to mock someone who is injured, but who still put her best in in both challenges.

• Love 9
On 3/7/2019 at 1:40 PM, Rachel RSL said:

The EOE twist is boring to me because you know everybody is going to choose to continue.

This. I know most of them won't get back in but it makes the stakes so much lower if the vote-out isn't final. They start talking strategy and my internal monologue goes to 'Who cares? They can just win their way back in.'

Same deal with watching EOI. I watch Survivor for the strategising and the edge-of-your-seatness where you know one wrong move can send someone home. I don't care about the Robinson Crusoe adventure of it. 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:57 AM, blackwing said:

I didn't care for Aubrey in her first appearance.  Liked her a lot the second time.  Thought I would really like her here and I did, until last night.  Really, sobbing about finding an idol?  Telling the camera that she has never found an idol and she wants "the whole Survivor experience"?  Considering there are plenty of people who have applied to Survivor and haven't gotten to be on the show to experience it once, let alone THREE times... whatever.  Go suck an egg Aubrey.  She acted like she had found the cure for cancer.  There are more important things in life besides finding a Survivor idol.

Good to know we're still doing the thing where a woman getting emotional on Survivor makes her a terrible terrible person. And yeah, there are way more important things but this is a thing she's doing and cares about so why not give it her all? By that logic, why are get so worked up about something someone does on a TV show when there's like... climate change to solve 😉 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, HurricaneVal said:

Sigh.  Kelly Wentworth is obviously believing her own publicity these days and her ego is clearly stoked to a fever pitch.  I liked her much better when she was a humble farm girl from Ephrata playing her heart out in this silly game.

This. I kept getting Stephanie in Guatemala vibes from her. Like how DARE anyone target her, the obvious target. 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, eel2178 said:

Also, how long is the game going to last if everyone who has been voted out re-enters the game after going to the edge and has to be voted out a second time?

Spoiler about the potential return timing of EOI: 

Spoiler

I think I read that they bring one person back at the merge and one at F4/5/whatever. Everyone who's there after the merge is on the jury though so that's going to make a for a long boring FTC where it's possible for jurors to have never even met the finalists.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I know most of them won't get back in but it makes the stakes so much lower if the vote-out isn't final. They start talking strategy and my internal monologue goes to 'Who cares? They can just win their way back in.'

Exactly why I hated Redemption Island too.  Whenever someone gets voted out, I'm like: "Ehhhh, they're not really gone." And if they don't get to return to the game, I'm like: "Ehhhh, they were half gone anyway."

• Love 2

I'd like the silly extinction island better if, when the second person arrived, they had to compete in some kind of challenge (some physical, some mental, like the regular ones) with the first person, then winner stays and loser leaves.  Same with each "exile" who is voted out, a challenge to determine who stays.  Then let the final winner at merge time return to the game.

Singular thoughts on episode 3 "Talking Heads"

• For all the chatter against returning players, the once in a lifetime crowd has not been able to boot any of the second chancers
  • So far this season the bumper shots of the wild, wild life are more entertaining than the parts with the people
  • The awesome, over-the-top trek up the mountain stairs - presumably to see Yoda or Luke Skywalker - ended with a thimbleful of rice.  Hah.  I figured Reem would be pretty disappointed by this, and she was.
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

The awesome, over-the-top trek up the mountain stairs - presumably to see Yoda or Luke Skywalker - ended with a thimbleful of rice.  Hah.  I figured Reem would be pretty disappointed by this, and she was. 

And, the way I understood it, they have to do this each day to get their meager ration of "food." Just wondering if the size of the ration increases in proportion with the additional people. 

2 hours ago, EllenB said:

I'd like the silly extinction island better if, when the second person arrived, they had to compete in some kind of challenge (some physical, some mental, like the regular ones) with the first person, then winner stays and loser leaves.  Same with each "exile" who is voted out, a challenge to determine who stays.  Then let the final winner at merge time return to the game.

Like MTV The Gauntlet?

EOE feels more like Last Chance Kitchen to me.   Where my Top Chef peeps at?  LOL

• Love 3
2 hours ago, EllenB said:

This was Redemption Island and pretty much the only good thing about it was the hilarity of Ozzy getting voted out three times in one season.

And in the modern game, that last time wouldn't have happened because of a stupid fire-making challenge and he would have won the game. Ugh. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I don't watch Big Brother because the premise that you get voted out of one house just to go to another house is just too stupid. They're doing the same thing with edge of extinction.

OT:  Huh?  Where are they going to put them for sequester?  In a cave?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, violet and green said:

She walked home from the challenge and as she did so her ankle began hurting and throbbing more and more, she said, until she realised she had injured it quite badly by dropping the heavy part on it, getting her tribe that wheel. Then they carried her up the hill.

She sat with it elevated for a while, as we saw. We didn't see when the medic came and assessed and bandaged it, but once an injury of the foot is bandaged it's easier to walk on it. And she had been able to walk on it in some way prior. Maybe the pain of taking off with the flint was worth it.

At some point (who cares when) she makeshifted a crutch, to assist with the pain when walking. That may have been a day later for all we know, there is only so much sitting and resting and elevating you can do, and one has calls of nature to answer. We have seen her with it elevated, we have seen the degree of bruising - and from  past experience when the bruising is that bad that fast it is a painful injury - and we have seen her with it bandaged and the bandage dirtying from wear. Time is passing in the footage we've seen, therefore. She is not just bunging it on. And I don't think she has been 'getting around fine' at any point since the challenge where she injured it.

But nasty pasties will mock anyone they see as weaker than them. I can't think of when a good time would be to mock someone who is injured, but who still put her best in in both challenges.

She showed no signs of pain during or after the challenge.  Then she is seen walking away from the challenge totally normally.

Then, after she noticed the bruise, she suddenly needed to be carried back to camp.  Her tribemates asked her where she wanted to be placed and told her they would bring her what ever she asked for.

Then, they started gushing over the chickens.  I think Wendy was actually JEALOUS of all the attention the chickens were getting.

She showed no signs of pain at the IC and after it, she led the tribe back to camp, and climbed up the same hill she had to be carried up, effortlessly, while carrying her big bag full of her stuff.

Then she ran off with the flint.

She is a fake, an attention whore and a drama queen.

• Love 2

We don't know the timeline, so it's pretty much impossible to really tell when some of that actually occurred. It's easy to see why she would not be in pain during the challenge where she injured her foot. She actually stated that she figured it was because of the adrenaline, which is common. At the IC, sure she wasn't in visible pain, but it was a challenge so she chose to power through.

Even if Wendy is being a huge drama queen about her injury, people sitting around and mocking someone they know deeply injured their foot is always gonna make them look bad.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

We don't know the timeline, so it's pretty much impossible to really tell when some of that actually occurred. It's easy to see why she would not be in pain during the challenge where she injured her foot. She actually stated that she figured it was because of the adrenaline, which is common. At the IC, sure she wasn't in visible pain, but it was a challenge so she chose to power through.

Even if Wendy is being a huge drama queen about her injury, people sitting around and mocking someone they know deeply injured their foot is always gonna make them look bad.

I could understand adrenaline be being a factor during, the IC. But, she stood around laughing just before the IC, and was the first one to climb the hill back to camp, while carrying her bag after the IC.

15 hours ago, MissEwa said:

This. I know most of them won't get back in but it makes the stakes so much lower if the vote-out isn't final. They start talking strategy and my internal monologue goes to 'Who cares? They can just win their way back in.'

Same deal with watching EOI. I watch Survivor for the strategising and the edge-of-your-seatness where you know one wrong move can send someone home. I don't care about the Robinson Crusoe adventure of it. 

Good to know we're still doing the thing where a woman getting emotional on Survivor makes her a terrible terrible person. And yeah, there are way more important things but this is a thing she's doing and cares about so why not give it her all? By that logic, why are get so worked up about something someone does on a TV show when there's like... climate change to solve 😉 

This. I kept getting Stephanie in Guatemala vibes from her. Like how DARE anyone target her, the obvious target. 

Spoiler about the potential return timing of EOI: 

Hide contents

I think I read that they bring one person back at the merge and one at F4/5/whatever. Everyone who's there after the merge is on the jury though so that's going to make a for a long boring FTC where it's possible for jurors to have never even met the finalists.

LOL Wentworth Is the only obvious target? How bout David who played before? Just like Wentworth hes an obvious target but the idiots act like he never played before! 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 12:36 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I wish that at Extinction Island they actually had nice comfy beds and gave them decent food, so that when they come back, they would have a physical advantage.

When they did that during Earl’s season the haves pretty much decimated the have nots and it wasn’t that fun.  Also it gave us Lisey and Edgardo and the only good thing about was that one fabulous tribal.

6 hours ago, jay741982 said:

LOL Wentworth Is the only obvious target? How bout David who played before? Just like Wentworth hes an obvious target but the idiots act like he never played before! 

Yes? Just because they're both returning players doesn't mean they're equal in terms of how much of a threat they are - or, more importantly, perceived to be. Kelly has a much stronger reputation than David. She's a physical and strategic threat who takes no prisoners and will play her guts out. She is also BELOVED by Survivor fans. If she gets to the end, she's got a good shot at getting respect votes, even if there is a bias against returnees. 

David isn't really any of those things. Nobody's star-struck about David being there. He doesn't come across as a cut-throat strategist or a challenge beast. And he's doing a really good job of capitalising on that to keep the target off his back. 

• Love 6