Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: The Waiting Room

• Start Topic

God I wanted to smack Randall.

Please let Madison join the in-law text chain.

So Kevin was drinking vodka the whole time and no one smelled it on him?

Also, ranch is disgusting.

Wait, wasn't I supposed to be speechless?

• Love 21
24 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That premature baby was so tiny it hurt to look at.

My friend's son looked a lot like that (born at 30 weeks). It seems so impossibly tiny for a human being.

(Edit: just for the record, he's 7 now and has some issues, autism-spectrum and asthma, but is otherwise fine. Another friend's nephew was born at the same gestation and is now 6 with no major issues.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Speaking of the vodka, I don't usually (ever) drink straight liquor.  I had almost the same thing happen.  I picked up my boyfriend at the time's water bottle and took a swig.  And immediately ran to the sink to spit it out.  Unless Zoe had a hunch, she did a pretty good job of covering her surprise.  But, that may have been an actual test on her part.

• Love 11

That stressed me out.  How long were they there?  They couldn’t rotate and each go home for a little bit? 

The previews...are they seriously bringing Sophie back?  They do not know what to do with Kevin!

• Love 23
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

*gasp*

Kate named her son Jack?

THIS IS SO UNEXPECTED.

Exactly, If anyone has ever watched this show they knew that would be his name.

• Love 6

That was an intense episode. 

I liked the Randall/Kevin stuff. It felt very real and a continuation of stuff we saw earlier in the series that had been mostly dropped.

I don’t know if I can handle a preemie storyline, so I may be done for a few weeks. 

1 minute ago, cmpbl said:

Exactly, If anyone has ever watched this show they knew that would be his name.

It would have been so awesome if they had named him Miguel.  

1 minute ago, ShadowFacts said:

And did I miss who's minding Deja, Tess and Annie? 

No, they didn't say.  I imagine a friend or friends agreed to take them for a few days.  Because it was a health emergency.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

So after all that about how are Beth and Randall going to make it work, who was staying with the girls while they (the parents) were in CA?

Randall was still a jerk this week. So was Kevin but he also made me laugh when he was saying Randall should have been delivering the baby with his bare hands or whatever it was he said.

I totally called the water bottle having alcohol in it.

And I think everyone here called naming the baby Jack.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, CleoCaesar said:

What a boring, pointless episode. Of course they weren't going to kill off Kate or the baby. So what was the point of it?

I honestly thought Kate was going to die.  I know, she's part of the Big Three and all, but I still thought it.

• Love 4
Just now, Katy M said:

No, they didn't say.  I imagine a friend or friends agreed to take them for a few days.  Because it was a health emergency.

Thanks, I thought I missed something.  Kind of worth at least a mention, a throwaway line, especially since we never see any friends and Beth's mother is in D.C.

• Love 9
Just now, Eureka said:

So after all that about how are Beth and Randall going to make it work, who was staying with the girls while they (the parents) were in CA?

If I was either their friend or one of the girls' friend's parents, I would be more than happy to take the girls while their parents were at the hospital for a serious family health scare.  That does not mean I would be willing to do permanent day care for them.   These are two different types of situation.

I hated Randall so much this episode, and it didn't help that he acted like babysitting his kids was a Christmas gift. 

• Love 21

So what was supposed to be so special about this episode. Other than the baby being born the rest of the episode was just like every other episode. I'm so glad Rebecca went off on Kevin and Randall, not everything is about them.

• Love 22
Just now, Katy M said:

If I was either their friend or one of the girls' friend's parents, I would be more than happy to take the girls while their parents were at the hospital for a serious family health scare.  That does not mean I would be willing to do permanent day care for them.   These are two different types of situation.

I hated Randall so much this episode, and it didn't help that he acted like babysitting his kids was a Christmas gift. 

I agree with you about permanent day care versus watching them for this. But still figured they would have said. Because they’re making that storyline all about needing family time, routine for Deja etc.

• Love 7

Most of the Pearson clan were definitely at their worst tonight, particularly Kevin and Randall. On the one hand, I understand it. On the other hand, I was grateful when Rebecca finally told them all to shut up. 

I did feel bad for Madison, who should be there since Kate doesn't have any other friends. I hate that nobody really stood up for her. 

I know they needed to fill up most of the episode, but listening to everyone's drama wasn't fun. I did laugh when Randall said that Rebecca/Miguel getting to be their child care would essentially be their early Christmas present, only to have Miguel and Rebecca shut that down with a "we're thinking of moving to California."

I knew Kate and baby Jack (urg) would survive so that wasn't that tense. I do wonder if the baby will develop some issues. Realistically, he probably would. 

So, I guess Zoe may be pushing Kevin away for lying to her. I get her being upset that he's lying, but they really need to sit things out and talk instead of Zoe looking at getting out, as I suspect that she will. Her telling Beth that she might stay with him WAS before the vodka in the water bottle incident, so I do wonder if her mind is changing. It would suck because Kevin's lie isn't great, but she has to realize that he has a hard time opening up as much as she does. Plus, I fear that Kevin's fear about her leaving him is being subconsciously driven through him lying and that'll cause her to really leave him. Obviously he should be honest. I just hope that Zoe won't just take off.

I appreciate Miguel lightening up the mood. It does suck that he can never take his anger out on the Pearsons because as soon as he starts, he gets interrupted. 

Ok, Toby's joke about Kate wanting to see Miguel first actually got me. 

• Love 23
13 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That premature baby was so tiny it hurt to look at.

I decided not to watch this episode in real time, because I gave birth to my kiddo at 25 weeks gestation in very similar circumstances to this. So of course I switch over right as Kate and Toby are in the NICU with Jack. Show got this part right, down to the way the baby was hooked up in the isolet. So regardless of all the other superfluous drama nonsense, this was pretty damn accurate.  Yeah, those preemies really are that tiny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, Toby's joke about Kate wanting to see Miguel first actually got me. 

Me, too, but I think of all 3 kids, Kate has had the least amount of scenes with Miguel.  The other two have both had at least one one-on-one scene with him, but I can't think of one for Kate.  She's less hostile to him in general, which is actually kind of weird, considering she's the most attached to Jack's memory.  She mostly just kind of treats him like a piece of furniture of something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I absolutely wouldn't blame her if she did leave.  Talk to him first, though, not just take off.  Dating/being in a relationship with an active alcoholic is not for everyone.

I agree. Lying to her is a bad look and if she doesn't want to deal with an alcoholic, she should be able to walk away. I just hope she can actually talk with Kevin (sober Kevin) before she makes a final decision. She only just found out about his drinking and I'm sure she feels like her trust is broken here, especially after telling him her darkest secret, but I hope she realizes that his issues are his issues. I also hope that Zoe doesn't allow herself to be guilted into staying after Kevin's whole "I can't do this without you" speech. I doubt Kevin realizes exactly how manipulative that statement can be. 

Again, it's a messy situation but if Zoe wants to leave, then she should be able to. Kevin will always be an addict and he'll likely continue to have relapses like this. Plus, since I'm positive his family isn't going to focus on him getting treatment since Kate has to take care of her preemie baby and Randall's being sworn in in a couple of weeks (and we also know how Randall feels about Kevin's addiction), his fight to stay sober IS going to be hard on him and Zoe. So Zoe should be thinking about if she's ready for that. If she's not, that's fine as well. But, the selfish part in me hopes that she sticks around since I know she's all he has got. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

We gave our son my dad’s name as his middle name.  I didn’t think I would feel comfortable saying my dad's name as I disciplined my son.  

My first name is my mom's middle name, which she (mostly) goes by. I don't think she ever had a problem yelling at me. 😉

• LOL 19
  • Love 1

Ugh.  Randall needed several seats in this episode.   He is truly insufferable this season.  Dude your mom was near you for a decade and saw your girls, why wouldn't she want to move closer to her new grandkid.  You know that Kate and Rebecca have had a painful relationship in the past.  Don't get upset if your mom wants to work on this.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Randall does equate everything to how he feels, and I hope this isn't the last time it's brought up.

I gave a little silent cheer when she told him how selfish his "if you're not happy I'm not happy" line comes across. 

• Love 23

So were they all planning to stay there for weeks if the pregnancy had been maintained that long? What a suffocating family, Did anyone else notice that Madison didn't ask how Kate was or whether the baby had arrived, just dropped the bag and took off? What a stupid, boring episode. And that poor baby, having to live his life with the legend of Saint Jack hanging over him. I desperately wanted Rebecca to tell Toby to make sure the baby wasn't named Jack, since there could only be one Jack in this twisted family.

Edited by Mommaj
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I thought something was seriously wrong with Rebecca besides being scared.  She looked unconscious before she yelled at everyone to shut up.  

I saw that too, and she had been looking ill all episode. I honest to God thought she had died right there in front of them, given that the previews said something about us being left speechless. That would have been the most shocking thing this show has ever done.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Mommaj said:

So were they all planning to stay there for weeks if the pregnancy had been maintained that long? What a suffocating family, Did anyone else notice that Madison didn't ask how Kate was or whether the baby had arrived, just dropped the bag and took off? What a stupid, boring episode. 

I was thinking, "are you going to tell her the baby's here?"

• Love 5