Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: I Do... Again!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Since Bill planned the whole event around his wife I think the emphasis on her was obvious but the whole point. Bill wanted to showcase Jen, he got the venue, the dress, the aunt, the dance, the cake, arranged for their family and friends to join in, all that was required of Jen was to bring herself and that's all she did, imo.

Her second go around of vows to him, to me, were so sincere and genuine and filled with love and appreciation, it was a really touching moment I thought.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 10

How on earth did Jen make it about her?  BILL made it about her.  HE wanted to celebrate Jen and HE arranged everything to do that.  HE surprised her.  She didn't pick out her dress, she didn't have camera time picking out her dress, HE did.  She didn't pick out the cake, HE did.  She didn't pick the location/hotel/beach, HE did.  She didn't pick the food or make the guest list, HE did. 

• Love 12

The whole party was a great idea, not only to celebrate Jen's birthday, her health and the vow renewal, but also all their friends and family got to see Will and Zoey, many of them for the first time. Zoey's adoption came through so soon after Will's--followed quickly by the cancer diagnosis--that some people probably last saw the Kleins when they were childless. So there was a lot of joy and damp eyes, all at once.

• Love 6

If they renew, and I'd love them to, I hope they get stinking filthy rich. It's time we started rewarding the Kleins of this world, instead of the Kardashians.

Heh. People used to say this about the Roloffs.

If they renew, and I'd love them to, I hope they get stinking filthy rich. It's time we started rewarding the Kleins of this world, instead of the Kardashians.

Yes! I couldn't agree more. 

Bill did a great job and I loved the look on his face when he saw how happy she was.

• Love 3

I confess to using more than one tissue last night.  The joy on Jen's face was something to behold and when she hugged her aunt it was a touching moment.  Clearly those people think a WHOLE lot of Jen and Bill.

• Love 4
(edited)

Just finished watching this; and it transformed my cold heart into a blubbering sloppy mess!

I'm not a "vow renewal person" either but this was an exception. I very much enjoyed this episode..

Zoey getting the pedicure was the cutest thing ever. What a gorgeous child!

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 4

As predicted I didn't shed a tear, but I did enjoy the episode.  I was glad not to see Will messing with or near the cake.  The children were there but not the centerpiece of the renewal or reception and that was nice.  Zoey is so cute!!  I was impressed that neither Zoey or Will had any issue at all walking down to the gathering of people. 

The children were there but not the centerpiece of the renewal or reception and that was nice.

I liked the adult-centered aspect of this episode too. The kids are adorable, but Bill and Jen are intelligent, accomplished people on their own and I enjoy seeing their stories.

In a totally unconnected thought--Jen's dress was beautiful, but I think I would have been batting the skirt down the whole time to avoid it flying up over my head. It almost made me nervous to watch.

• Love 2

I was amazed at how calm both kids walked toward the crowd. I had goose bumps seeing all the people and how Jen and Bill looked just then. The dancing was great. People seemed to have a good time.

Oh to love and to be loved like that. At the end Jen said "he brought love from near and far, what a great gift."

Awesome family with big hearts.

• Love 5
I was amazed at how calm both kids walked toward the crowd.

I think if there's one thing we can attribute to the show, it's that the kids are used to having production crews around and passers-by gathering around them and their parents on the street. They don't seem to be the least bit timid around strangers -- I especially noticed it when Zoey happily let the pedicurist work on her feet. She may have grown tired or cranky that we didn't see, but I'm not sure a lot of toddlers would have been so accepting of that.

The part that teared me up was seeing Jen so overjoyed about her aunt being there. It was very touching.

• Love 8

From a practical point of view, I do not think Jen was in the dark about the actual renewal and party. It required in my opinion a larger crew and more equipment that usual so she would of known.    Also, that little exchange about the pager going off was about the worst acting I have ever seen.

I do however think she was genuinely surprised to see the dress designer show up and that her aunt was there. The party seemed laid back and nice, not at all pretentious.  But, I do agree that Jen made it all about her, when it was really just as much about Bill.  

I am glad it was the last show because at this point I am sick of watching (especially Will) them eat.  I think his food problems go way beyond cake and I feel bad for him.     I noticed Jen had to remove the plate of fruit from the table because he would not stop taking more even after they told him not to.

Yes, Will was most notably absent from the cake scene. I have a feeling he had to be removed from the party at some point because he was also not with anyone else or in the crowd.   He is always eating so my guess is the minute the party started and he saw that cake, he had a full tilt boogie meltdown.

It was probably a very long day.  Perhaps Will was off having a nap somewhere.  Why just assume the worst?

• Love 6
(edited)

While I didn't shed an actual tear during the episode, I did choke up just a little when Bill was saying his vows and he started to choke up.  This is what a man in crazy love with his wife looks like.  It's a good look.  

I think we saw less of Will because #1-the episode focused on his parents and #2-he was probably off playing.  There were quite a few children at the renewal, many of them his cousins, he was probably having a grand time with them. We didn't see much of Zoey at the reception either until the end, when she went out to dance with her Mom

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the finale.  Very OTT as exepected and it seemed to drag on and on for some reason.  I think they commented on how much they loved each other about 150 different ways, but I didn't count.

Pager drama cliffhanger was nothing and explained away in 3 seconds....  Nice job TLC!

I agree that Jen's natural dark short hair looks very cute on her.  I was worred her wig might blow off as well during the vow renewal.

At first I thought Bill was pretty casually dressed, but then noticed that's how all the men were dressed, plus he has body shape challenges.  I guess it just was a contrast compared to what Jen and Zoey were wearing.  I loved Jen's dress, I thought Zoey's was cute, but a bit OTT.

The vows were beautiful but I felt like I watch watching an Obama speech when Bill delivered his.  I'm glad they decided to keep in ont he beach.  Wind is better than super sunny heat.

I was disappointed in the group dance actually.  Bill had described it as a "Flash-mob", but it wasn't at all.  Jen loved it and that was the point.  I learned something new - Bill doesn't dance!

• Love 1

Will said the word "mess" quite a few times in this episode. He must hear that word a lot.

You could definitely see an improvement in Will's speech.  He certainly wants to and tries to make full sentences, such as we saw when Jen was grilling him for details and when she was trying to write the vows.

I think Will had on a diaper at the vow renewal. I thought I saw it sticking out above the waistband of his shorts, when Bill lifted him out of the car.

Yes you could see the top of his pull up when he was sitting at the door dressed for the vow renewal before they left the hotel and again when Bill lifted him out of the car.  Will is putting on weight!  His shirt hugging his body in the wind sure showed his protruding belly.  And he doesn't listen does he to the cautions about food and manners when told to eat off his own plate and not the serving plate he continued and Jen did have to remove it.  He still hasn't grasped using a fork/spoon yet, still eats with his fingers yet continues to pick up a utensil not really being successful with it so he goes back to his hands....it appears the fork/spoon are not small enough for him and I wonder why he doesn't have his own like most little ones do and I know they are at a hotel so pack them.  

I didn't hear Will using any sentences, at most 2 words together....Baba, mess, mine, park, beach.....he certainly seems to want to but it just isn't happening....even Jen said at one point she didn't understand him.  She was pushing him so hard to answer her questions which came one on top of the other so quickly.  And him helping her with her vows..yea right.....he moved away from her twice!  

I remember TCH had concerns about their portrayal on the show in the beginning so going forward to another season I am sure they wonder where it will go too.  

• Love 1

Great episode!

I'm so glad that Jen loved the dress Chloe made for her and Jen looked great in it. It's hard to pick another woman's style. Chloe did a great job on the dress.

Bill is so thoughtful! He did a great job with the details and figuring out what Jen would like. The vow renewal, all the family and friends, the beach, the dress, the cake, the group dance, etc. Even knowing that Jen wouldn't see the whole beach picture until she came over the rise in the sand and would see everyone there.

I, too, especially loved it when Jen saw her aunt and was overcome with joy in seeing her there. AND Bill's mom.

(Zoey is so CUTE!)

I expected the actual vow renewal to be rather boring, anticlimactic, or something dull. BUT, I listened to every word. Jen and Bill mean them! I especially got teary when Bill got choked up in the middle of his. He got his 2 children but almost lost his wife and he couldn't lose her. When I was listening I flashed back to the steps they went thru to get to this point in their lives. Using computer speak, their vow renewal was like them "backing-up and saving" their previous life so far and creating a save point for them to go forward.

I love this show for not only Bill and Jen and their family, but how it makes me feel after watching.

• Love 15

I thought Will seemed like he was getting frustrated with Jen's rapid-fire questions. You can tell he understands and knows what he wants to say, he just has trouble forming the words. I wonder how he's progressing IRT.

• Love 1

I love this show for not only Bill and Jen and their family, but how it makes me feel after watching.

Great point.  Even though I thought the last few episodes were a bit boring, I always feel happy and hopeful after watching this show.  I thought I was giving up watching, (because it just seemed like their story has been told, happy ending and all )  However, I'm so glad I DVR'd and watched this episode, it was adorable and I usually HATE vow renewals with a passion.

And now that I'm no longer ver klempt, I want to make some random comments !  LOL

Jen's reaction to Chloe Dao and her Aunt being there were all kinds of "awww" moments for me.  Her tears were so heartfelt.    I thought the dress was perfect for Jen, Chloe seems pretty amazing.

I was relieved that the kids were not a part of the actual vow renewal.  I find it annoying when people include children in wedding vows. (mentioning them is fine, but having them stand up there and go thru the part of the ceremony, I find ridiculous.)  

Along with a previous poster, I was so annoyed at that kid that was running by Jen & Bill's 'dance.'   Where the hell were his parents to rein in that annoyance?

Bill's love and devotion to his wife, makes him super sexy in my eyes.

The cake really did look "yummy", I don't blame Jen for stepping into her Mom shoes for a moment there. LOL

As I mentioned before, Zoey is gorgeous, she almost looks like a different child than the one they picked up that day at the orphanage.

And I still love Will.  He's my favorite.  Heh.

• Love 6

I was relieved that the kids were not a part of the actual vow renewal.  I find it annoying when people include children in wedding vows. (mentioning them is fine, but having them stand up there and go thru the part of the ceremony, I find ridiculous.)  

That's true!  I was totally expecting to see them be a part of it in some way.  Since we only saw random moments from the whole event, they could have had some minor involvement that we didn't see. 

They all seemed to have such a hard time walking onto the beach, espcially Jen in the silver strapy heels.  They should have used one of those golf carts and driven up in that.  That would have been very cool.

Yes you could see the top of his pull up when he was sitting at the door dressed for the vow renewal before they left the hotel and again when Bill lifted him out of the car. Will is putting on weight! His shirt hugging his body in the wind sure showed his protruding belly. And he doesn't listen does he to the cautions about food and manners when told to eat off his own plate and not the serving plate he continued and Jen did have to remove it. He still hasn't grasped using a fork/spoon yet, still eats with his fingers yet continues to pick up a utensil not really being successful with it so he goes back to his hands....it appears the fork/spoon are not small enough for him and I wonder why he doesn't have his own like most little ones do and I know they are at a hotel so pack them.

I didn't hear Will using any sentences, at most 2 words together....Baba, mess, mine, park, beach.....he certainly seems to want to but it just isn't happening....even Jen said at one point she didn't understand him. She was pushing him so hard to answer her questions which came one on top of the other so quickly. And him helping her with her vows..yea right.....he moved away from her twice!

I remember TCH had concerns about their portrayal on the show in the beginning so going forward to another season I am sure they wonder where it will go too.

I interpreted these scenes differently. I saw Will's parents both correcting him to use his own plate. He seemed to listen and understand, but the food was about one inch away. Major temptation for a four year old. I'm not sure why Jen moved the plate away, but I'm fine with the idea she took it because Will kept reaching into it. Cause and effect, and a clear consequence. Will did not react negatively.

I didn't see Jen drilling the kids. It was all in good humor, and Will and Zoey were half listening as they enjoyed breakfast. No one seemed stressed or pressured. I actually think both Zoey and Will have excellent table manners for their age. Will may be incapable of holding his utensils better at this time. He may need to grow into his hands. Maybe I was raised by wolves, but I've rarely seen children that young remain at the table through a meal and attempt to properly use utensils and napkin.

The vow writing scene. Zoey is quietly playing with her doll, while Jen seems to be making an effort to make Will feel included and a part of what was happening. She seemed very relaxed and good humored. She knew Will could contribute nothing, but let him think he was important as he carried the notepad around writing on it.

I'm actually impressed by Jen's patience here. You don't get where she is - a female doctor in a highly specialized field, without being driven and disciplined. She also had to contend with the fact that she's the size of a five year old with the voice of a cartoon character. I can't imagine how often she was condescended to or belittled. I'm sure she had to battle to be taken seriously. Yet she remains smiling, laughing, and relatively soft spoken, rather than a humorless drill sergeant barking out orders.

I completely sympathize with Jen feeling the loss of control and trying to get a handle on the day's plans. I'm an only child, and I have had so many surprise parties that I remain completely suspicious every year. One year, my cousin developed this scavenger hunt that took over eight hours to finish, and consisting of me interpreting clues and then going place to place where I would walk into the store and ask for a gift. It was horrible. I became less and less gracious as the day went by. Ironically, my cousin was my best friend and knew I would hate it. SHE is the type who would love it. Bill did not do this. Every decision he made concerned what Jen would like, and all her preferences were considered. It was a beautiful gesture by Bill, and I think he knew full well that she was happy and that he'd hit it out of the park.

• Love 15

I think both Will and Zoey have very good table manners. Some kids that age have the table manners of Henry VIII or a well-entrenched South American dictator. The Klein kids are remarkably well behaved.

I also don't think Will is particularly overweight. He has, in a way, Bill's same build--barrel chested. When he gains weight it will always be in his tummy or upper body. I think that's why Jen had fruit on the table; I'm sure they are aware of his eating habits.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree that Jen was a little tipsy. I don't think Bill was upset about the cake. He had an indulgent smile on his face that said to me that he enjoyed watching his usually dignified wife buzzed and being carefree and silly. I imagine the kids are staying elsewhere and he's anticipating a romantic night.

By the way, if my husband attempted to smash cake in my face, which has become an unfortunate tradition, I would slap him so hard upside his head. Maybe that's why I'm not married.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 6

I agree that Jen was a little tipsy. I don't think Bill was upset about the cake. He had an indulgent smile on his face that said to me that he enjoyed watching his usually dignified wife buzzed and being carefree and silly. I imagine the kids are staying elsewhere and he's anticipating a romantic night.

By the way, if my husband attempted to smash cake in my face, which has become an unfortunate tradition, I would slap him so hard upside his head. Maybe that's why I'm not married.

I wonder where that asinine tradition of smashing cake in your new husband's/wife's face started anyway.  If I was a bride all decked out with perfect hair and makeup and someone smashed cake in my face, I would explode.

• Love 12
(edited)

@RedHeadZombie--I'm so glad to say that I saw the scenes the same way you saw them--a happy, healthy family enjoying themselves and each other.  I will be so grateful if TLC would just quit showing Will's pull-ups or diapers or whatever they are so this obsessing over them will stop.  And I also thought the children had wonderful manners for their ages, Zoey was very dainty with her food and Will was putting one piece of food in his mouth at a time.  So what if he used his fingers?  Geez, it was fruit and he's a kid.  My 8 year old granddaughter will pick up a piece of fruit from a plate, even if there is a fork right in front of her.  We should be talking about how wonderfully healthy the children are eating now, vegetables and hummus at the picnic and fruit and cottage cheese in the hotel room.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 9

@Honey--I'm so glad to say that I saw the scenes the same way you saw them--a happy, healthy family enjoying themselves and each other.  I will be so grateful if TLC would just quit showing Will's pull-ups or diapers or whatever they are so this obsessing over them will stop.  And I also thought the children had wonderful manners for their ages, Zoey was very dainty with her food and Will was putting one piece of food in his mouth at a time.  So what if he used his fingers?  Geez, it was fruit and he's a kid.  My 8 year old granddaughter will pick up a piece of fruit from a plate, even if there is a fork right in front of her.  We should be talking about how wonderfully healthy the children are eating now, vegetables and hummus at the picnic and fruit and cottage cheese in the hotel room.

I didn't know there was another alternative to pull-ups/diapers?  I know underwear doesn't look like that.  I think the majority of posters talking about Will being "behind" in this area are wondering why.  Sure on special occasions with little access to a washroom etc etc let's fallback on the pull-up but I think Will wears them every day all day.  

No problem eating fruit with your fingers but not cottage cheese or yogurt.

4leafclover--I agree with the diaper/pullup "issue"--TLC shouldn't even show it. And wasn't there a thread here somewhere where a mod said we were to stop talking about potty training? Or are diapers still fair game lol? I have a memory of comments getting deleted because of potty talk. Or am I thinking of something else?

• Love 2

And wasn't there a thread here somewhere where a mod said we were to stop talking about potty training? Or are diapers still fair game lol? I have a memory of comments getting deleted because of potty talk. Or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, we asked everyone to drop the diaper/potty training discussion a couple of times, and we did delete some posts. However, one factor in those requests was that the discussions then were pretty nasty and contentious. That was also during the time when the site administrator was so frustrated with the overall tone of this forum that he took over moderating for a few days, which resulted in some bans and suspensions. The forum seems to have settled down a lot since then (and I want to thank those of you who use the "ignore" function, as that appears to have helped tremendously), and so we are allowing the discussion now. If it gets nasty again, that may change, but we are guardedly optimistic and are grateful to those who've dialed it back.

Having said that, I do think everyone has said their piece about Will's potty training or lack thereof about five times at least. Perhaps that's sufficient.

• Love 4

Regarding Jen's control over the cake eating scene. I think she knows Bill and he probably had a look on his face like he was going to do something. She did allow him to give her a bite, but, was very fearful that he would make a mess.

That vow renewal was absolutely beautiful and such a touching scene of recommitment and happiness that they came through the past year and are ready for whatever the future brings. They know they can and will make it through anything.

I smiled a little when I heard that he proposed on Mount Washington. That spot is my absolute favorite spot in Pittsburgh. Every time someone comes to visit us, we take them there for the view of the city and a picture.  When her best friend was there all I could think of was Meredith & Christina in Grey's Anatomy. I wanted them to say to each other "you're my person." But, we all know that Bill is Jen's person.

I renewed my vows at 4 years. I was married by a notary on the beach the first time. Our renewal was in the church and we didn't include our children. However, my Godfather/Uncle walked me down the aisle. I'm glad I did it because he passed away 3 months later unexpectedly. He was happy to see us (re)married in a church.

I hope this show gets renewed. The Roloffs were never the "completely happy" and stable couple that we see in the Kleins. The Roloffs did the show for the money. I'm sure the Kleins are happy to have the money and whatever perks they get, but, with their salaries they could easily buy their house with all the amenities and even go through fertility treatments. When the show started they were in their first year of marriage. They had just moved to TX and had plans to save up to find property and build a house. We are seeing the natural progression of a total marriage here. Not a marriage 15 years in and struggling. I refuse to watch the Kardashians. I would be embarrassed if any of my children walked in on me watching that show. This show, I don't mind watching or admitting that I watch. In reality TV, that's unusual.

• Love 6

My husband knew that a cake smash would not be acceptable at all at our reception, but I still reminded him that if he dared, he would wake up the next morning in serious pain. I think it just such a tacky, disrespectful tradition.

• Love 1

Bella, I agree that the potty training/diaper issue has been thoroughly covered. Enough, IMO.

But sometimes it's frustrating to have the ignore function and then people post lengthy highlights from the people you're trying to ignore. I understand not everyone can ignore the same people, but I sometimes wish there weren't such long quotes--maybe just brief references. Just IMO.

• Love 2

I agree that it's not necessary to quote an entire lengthy post. I usually quote, then edit within the quote since my response will usually be to a sentence or two.

And yes, "ignore" isn't perfect, but it does help.

• Love 2

Back to the cake smashing--just an idiotic trashy "tradition" IMO. I've been married 36 years and we certainly didn't do it back then (after spending money on a dress and hair, are you kidding?) I have no idea when it started. I think some bride or groom got drunk once, did it, it got videotaped and some other newly marrieds heard about it and thought it was a great idea. Grow up!

Anyway I can't imagine after taking such care in arranging for Jen's dress that Bill would ruin it, and she wouldn't want to do it either.

• Love 3

I think anyone using the word diaper is a contributor, doesn't matter which side of the changing table you are on.

So,  I think it would be a great idea for all of us to give each other a great big huggie, right?   Then take some time for ourselves, maybe a little pamper-ing or a good workout? I like push-ups and pull-ups myself.

:)

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree!  I too wish TLC would not show us problems!    

I do believe TLC paid for everything for the guests including airfare, hotels, meals and other expenses.  It wouldn't have been much of a show with only a handful being able to afford the trip.  The hotels would have donated their rooms/meals/transportation as advertising, the wedding planners to get business.  Maybe Chloe and TLC are talking about a show.    

Edited by jodo

Given how often we saw a sign that said "The Galdez" along with the twenty times Bill plugged the hotel in his TH's, I think it's a safe bet to assume the rooms were comped:)

Also, I know this sounds witchy, but I doubt all those people would have attended if TLC hadn't footed the bill. Especially the families who would've had to purchase airfare for parents plus two or three kids. That stuff adds up fast.

• Love 2

Back to the cake smashing--just an idiotic trashy "tradition" IMO.

Meh, I don't know. I have no problem with cake smashing. Some people find weddings/dressing up/formality tiresome, and I can understand the cake smash when all the pomp and circumstance is done. When I've seen it, it's been at the reception, and the couples who participated in it were relaxed, happy, and joyful. It's not about ruining your look so much, as loosening up and enjoying the rest of the night.

Having said that, I do think everyone has said their piece about Will's potty training or lack thereof about five times at least.

Perusing through other threads, it seems this small child's bathroom habits continue to fascinate and enrage some of your posters. Perhaps you should make a thread just for that topic, so the posts were all in one place, and those of us who find those posts repetitive, boring, insensitive, and ill-informed could just avoid the entire thread. Conversely, those who remain riveted to the Great Diaper Watch can post freely.

• Love 6

LOL well, if a face full of cake makes you relaxed, happy and joyful, I say go for it! Me, I had nice makeup and I wanted my dress to survive the night (it cost about $300 in 1978, which I thought was very expensive at the time). Most of the cake smashers I've seen have been drunk, so hard to say if they would have done the same thing sober lol.

• Love 2

Ooh minxy - 1978 wedding!  Mine was in '76 and totally fucking hi-jacked by my family & his; stupid $500 on sale dress my Mom insisted on is still in a box in a closet somewhere.  Blech!!!  I never wanted to get married, but agreed to do the nude beach or mountain meadow barefoot with flowers in my hair stuff, replete with potluck picnic & Tubular Bells ... next thing you know, awkward '70s wedding.

So it makes me very happy to see Jen so happy on what is a celebration of her birthday, her survival, their new family, and their vow renewal all rolled into a nice package.

• Love 2

walnutqueen, how about the wedding pics of guests in leisure suits?! And Afros on white guys?

I agree this vow renewal was tasteful and sweet. I've said I usually cringe with these manufactured TLC vow renewal programs--they are either hokey or the couple is on the verge of splitting up. But I do give a most of the credit to Bill. I sure he had some help here and there but I really thought most of the important decisions were his. He did good.

• Love 1

and those of us who find those posts repetitive, boring, insensitive, and ill-informed could just avoid the entire thread. Conversely, those who remain riveted to the Great Diaper Watch can post freely.

Snark is about the show not the posters....