Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S05.E15: #JustakidfromCompton

Dre and Bow want to send Kyra to Valley Glen Prep, but after the school treats them like a charity case, they are infuriated; Junior wants to get a job as Josh's assistant at Stevens & Lido.

Airs March 19, 2019.

I was pissed at Dre for rejecting Kyra's scholarship. Yeah Dre I get you're feelings or pride or whatever were hurt but that was Kyra's scholarship.

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified. I have seen this A LOT during my career. Also, I'm really curious to see where Junior goes from here; he doesn't seem to want to go to college and that's OK. College isn't for everyone. Junior seems to have a plan to work his way up in advertising. It may or may not work but it would be a good change of pace to show that college isn't the only way to a successful career.

1 hour ago, LadyintheLoop said:

That bit about "dumb actors' kids" -- coincidentally topical, or did they insert it at the last moment? 

HA! I was thinking the same thing! Even though this episode was probably filmed a while ago I definitely thought about the current college admissions scandal especially when Dre talked about how receiving a scholarship to a private school could be viewed as a handout. That immediately made me think of some people's thoughts on affirmative action.

When Dre was talking about splitting the tuition between the credit cards I couldn't help but wonder how much Dre and Bow make. Between the home (is it paid off?), cars, private school tuition, clothes and shoes, and I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe they are spending a lot of money.

• Like 2

I have never liked Ruby more than I did in this episode when she actually served her dipshit son some truth.  I might have actually cheered her.

I love Bow, but that orange and orchid outfit she had on was an absolute nightmare.

• Like 17

I LOVED that Ruby served Dre a heaping serving of truth. He kept acting like he was better than Kyra which was really fucked up.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong or shameful with getting a scholarship! Nobody feels bad for a football player when he gets a college scholarship. I knew people in college who got full academic scholarships based on their grades and they accepted them even though they could afford the tuition. I also knew some people who got talent based scholarships for voice or dance.

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle. Besides, the first article already said that she received a scholarship so word is already out. Do you think Kyra is going to walk around with a tuition receipt to prove that you paid for the semester?

• Like 20

9 hours ago, woodstock said:

I was pissed at Dre for rejecting Kyra's scholarship. Yeah Dre I get you're feelings or pride or whatever were hurt but that was Kyra's scholarship.

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified. I have seen this A LOT during my career. Also, I'm really curious to see where Junior goes from here; he doesn't seem to want to go to college and that's OK. College isn't for everyone. Junior seems to have a plan to work his way up in advertising. It may or may not work but it would be a good change of pace to show that college isn't the only way to a successful career.

HA! I was thinking the same thing! Even though this episode was probably filmed a while ago I definitely thought about the current college admissions scandal especially when Dre talked about how receiving a scholarship to a private school could be viewed as a handout. That immediately made me think of some people's thoughts on affirmative action.

When Dre was talking about splitting the tuition between the credit cards I couldn't help but wonder how much Dre and Bow make. Between the home (is it paid off?), cars, private school tuition, clothes and shoes, and I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe they are spending a lot of money.

I think Jr getting that job reinforced its who you know. Jr is there because his dad is there. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I LOVED that Ruby served Dre a heaping serving of truth. He kept acting like he was better than Kyra which was really fucked up.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong or shameful with getting a scholarship! Nobody feels bad for a football player when he gets a college scholarship. I knew people in college who got full academic scholarships based on their grades and they accepted them even though they could afford the tuition. I also knew some people who got talent based scholarships for voice or dance.

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle. Besides, the first article already said that she received a scholarship so word is already out. Do you think Kyra is going to walk around with a tuition receipt to prove that you paid for the semester?

That pissed me off too, it was completely a pride thing. You know how much in scholarship and grant money goes unused or not claimed early year? 3 billions dollars! 3 billion in free money from undergraduates to doc students all because they get talked out of it or they don't know where to look for it. IT'S FREE MONEY! 

At least Junior is starting to finally get himself a reality check, he isn't college material, because he has a very: "The world is too big for me." However, he does have a great work ethic, so opening his own business or doing maybe a type of apprenticeship or trade school is the way to go. However, seriously, the entire "gap year" story line has been pretty much a dud. It was never thought out.

• Like 6

Lol, Bow and Dre rolling up to their kids' school like the bougiest of the bougie.

Jack with a beard.

Junior getting that internship was some b.s. but I kind of admire his hustle. He still started on second base though since the only reason he had access was because of Dre's job there.

The timeliness of this episode was interesting.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, woodstock said:

I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe

Funnily enough, on grown-ish Dre just cut Zoe off!

Even without Zoe's college tuition, private school in LA for three kids has got to run them at least $75K - $100K a year. Harvard Westlake will run you nearly $40K a year. Bow likely pulls down around $400K a year; I can't remember how senior Dre is supposed to be, but senior ad guys make good money.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle.

That was SO DUMB. Listen, let someone give me some free money and all you'll hear is "thank you."

Anthony Anderson does use the hashtag #justakidfromcompton on IG.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

That was SO DUMB. Listen, let someone give me some free money and all you'll hear is "thank you."

It's so sad that a lot people do it based on a pride thing. I had a friend of mine who was getting a state grant to pay for some new stuff their office really needed. The business director put a stop to the purchase because it was making them look like a cheapskate. Well as a result, they never got the equipment, someone ELSE took the company money for their own department because they knew that this grant was coming through. As a result, they basically let free money go to waste because the state was: "You denied us paying you, so try again next year." The business manager was fired as a result. 

I also had a situation just last year, I needed all new computers for my department. They had PLENTY of money in the budget and I had gotten approved for a $30K grant, but it wouldn't come through sadly until February due to political red tape BS from the state. The director at the time wasn't willing to spend the money and said: "You have stuff that is only 3 years old, you can deal with it." Yeah, it was all cheap refurbished stuff so as a result it broke apart faster. I got the grant back this year and that director has since been fired. So, the new director was: "Tell me what you want and we will get this stuff ordered, it's not our money, so we are fine spending it."

It was sadly, too realistic the way Dre went about it, but sadly, so many people get pride or looking like some loser they just want to ruin a good thing for everyone.

• Like 5

I had mixed feelings. I assume the private school has a finite number of scholarships available each year and if Bow and Dre had already budgeted for Kyra's tuition, then it seems like they could go ahead and pay and the scholarship could go to some family who wasn't well-off. But it also made no sense because Barbara said it was purely a merit scholarship but the article said it was a need-based scholarship (maybe we were meant to understand it as both?). I think the details just confused me. But Ruby reading Dre the riot act was a delight! And I was so glad to hear someone point out that there's no such thing as self-made. 

There is no way in hell that a major advertising group in Los Angeles would hire some 19-year-old who didn't go to college as an assistant. Also Junior chasing Josh around with his resume cracked me up -- what in the world would Junior have on his resume other than the internship there? He's never done anything!

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

There is no way in hell that a major advertising group in Los Angeles would hire some 19-year-old who didn't go to college as an assistant. Also Junior chasing Josh around with his resume cracked me up -- what in the world would Junior have on his resume other than the internship there? He's never done anything!

It also doesn't help that Junior said: "I'll never have to go to college again!" Which means, he doesn't want to go back. It was spur of the moment reply to Jack and Diane. Junior is afraid to go to college, plain and simple. Which also portray's his "gap year" as even more BS. He was scared of his roommate and not finding himself in college. So, it was: "No, fight or flight mode and I choose my nice warm bed." Junior never thinks things through and its not like he hasn't come up with some good ideas that would work if his siblings or parents didn't sabotage him when he has something working very well. Reminds me of 2 years ago when he started investing in items that were selling good because he was watching what Zoey liked and what she was promoting on her social media. Because you know, NO ONE ever thinks of that? Of course it was Zoey feeling she was being used and sabotage something that was working out well for Junior. 

Same goes back to season 2 with Junior showering with Dre to save money and prove a scientific point for his class project. All Dre had to say was: "Junior, this makes sense, but I'm your father and you are 16!" "Think about this for a second?" No, he kept letting Junior do it until Dre finally had enough and told him to grow up and get the hell out. Junior would do less stupid stuff if everyone would sit him down and talk things through with him instead of either enabling his stupid behavior or supporting him when he does DO something right. Of course, look at this episode to show you why he is like that. Or the rest of the family. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woodstock said:

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified.

I'm sorry but Junior was not as qualified as the other kid because the other kid went to college. And you can argue that you don't need college to set appointment reminders or get someone coffee, but if the plan is to use the assistant position to funnel new talent up into the agency then someone who studied marketing or advertising or communications in college (and I'm talking any college, not specifically Harvard) would be a better match than someone who didn't.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I cheered when Ruby went in. Needs based scholarships are important. They give kids a chance to access places and people they wouldn't otherwise get. It's not a charity handout; it's a very small part of leveling a very uneven playing field.

Also, I liked in that scene that Ruby and Bow were respectful of each other. I really hope the show continues to improve their relationship after their blowout.

• Like 16

59 minutes ago, readster said:

Reminds me of 2 years ago when he started investing in items that were selling good because he was watching what Zoey liked and what she was promoting on her social media. Because you know, NO ONE ever thinks of that? Of course it was Zoey feeling she was being used and sabotage something that was working out well for Junior.

Zoey didn't sabotage Junior (and Jack who was working with him). She simply asked for her share of his profits, since all his business decisions were due to her, which, in retrospect, isn't really a lot to ask (especially when J&J never requested Zoey's permission to profile her in the first place).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dee said:

Zoey didn't sabotage Junior (and Jack who was working with him). She simply asked for her share of his profits, since all his business decisions were due to her, which, in retrospect, isn't really a lot to ask (especially when J&J never requested Zoey's permission to profile her in the first place).

How true, and instead of Junior going: "yes, you are right!" He made a big deal over it. That's Junior's major problem, he ALWAYS goes into full panic mode like Dre at times. Instead of going: "Ok, can we talk about this." He goes into flight or fight mode and it's always flight. It's like here with Dre getting upset about the article and then basically saying them to shove their free money where the sun don't shine. Bow's handling of it was much, much better, and still totally Bow when she put herself in the rewrite. However, it also makes Dre and Bow look like idiots because it was a teen who wrote this article and who took advice from his mother. Yes,  it's a rough neighborhood, but she is acting like it's the 1990s on saying: "Poor kids get a second chance." Instead of: "Two hard working students accomplish a dream." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I'm sorry but Junior was not as qualified as the other kid because the other kid went to college. And you can argue that you don't need college to set appointment reminders or get someone coffee, but if the plan is to use the assistant position to funnel new talent up into the agency then someone who studied marketing or advertising or communications in college (and I'm talking any college, not specifically Harvard) would be a better match than someone who didn't.

Right and did he go about it wrong and Junior had a point? Oh yes, but at the same time, this was someone who worked hard and could move up in the company. Junior also doesn't have a lot of "life experiences" when he said at the end: "Because of this I'll NEVER have to go to college again." Just basically shows that Junior wants an easy fix. He isn't worry about growing as a person in experience or in life. He wants someone that isn't going to scare him or makes him feel he isn't ready for at any point in his life. Junior isn't introverted, if anything he has been shown to be quite extroverted with his ideas and what he does. However, he has constantly been: "This is too much for me, I need to run to my room, someone give me an easy out."

• Like 5

I full on cheered when Ruby was telling Dre the truth about how he got help to get through school, and that the "bootstraps is a lie!" was spot on. Dre was being such a jerk and an idiot for acting like he was better than Kyra for accepting financial help, and then turning away a full ride! Who does that?! The idea that accepting "handouts" makes you a charity case who didnt earn anything and are just a moocher is such a lie, perpetuated by the overly prideful and by the wealthy who want to keep poor people from ever ascending any higher. Yeah, you have to work hard to achieve your goals, but getting some help is just evening out a very uneven playing field, especially for people from lower income brackets. It just means they can have the same opportunities as people that can easily pay for all those great schools and money for living and sports uniforms and all that, and that they can prove themselves to be just as good, if not better. They just have to get a little help getting in the door!

I like that Ruby and Bow are getting along a bit better now. They still snark on each other, but it seems a bit more respectful and less bitter. I hope it keeps up. 

It is kind of funny that this episode happened this week after the college entrance scandal. Its certainly a coincidence, but the timing was just perfect. 

Dre is so bad with money, its kind of hilarious. And over on Grown-ish, he just cut Zoe off at college! So I guess now he gets more money for sunglasses? He and Bow showing up looking like the bougiest people in California was pretty great though. "Doctor....sorry, habit." 

This whole gap year thing with Junior is just a mess. If Junior doesent want to go to college, thats fine, just have him start his career without having college, why even bother calling it a gap year? Its not for everyone, and its really a good message to send, that you can be successful without a four year degree as long as you have some kind of other plan for what you want to do, but the stuff with Junior is such a mess. Why doesent he want to go to college again? He always liked school, his desire to skip it and go into advertising is just so random and out of character. I do appreciate his hustle though getting the assistant job. But, wouldn't a degree make getting into advertising a lot easier? Just saying.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This whole gap year thing with Junior is just a mess. If Junior doesent want to go to college, thats fine, just have him start his career without having college, why even bother calling it a gap year? Its not for everyone, and its really a good message to send, that you can be successful without a four year degree as long as you have some kind of other plan for what you want to do, but the stuff with Junior is such a mess. Why doesent he want to go to college again? He always liked school, his desire to skip it and go into advertising is just so random and out of character. I do appreciate his hustle though getting the assistant job. But, wouldn't a degree make getting into advertising a lot easier? Just saying.

That's exactly it. I'm a teacher and I also agree that not everyone is going to go to college or even has the right frame of mind to go into college. However... there are many people out there that can do: trade school, work hard in something I are passionate about, open their own business, go into the family business, ect. However, with Junior it's: "College scares me, I need an easy fix, I'm taking a 'gap year'." They have argued all season and everyone has had a point from Pops to Jack and Diane, Junior needs to get out and do something with his life. He is constantly waiting around for a big break just so he doesn't have to face the reality of: "going to college". At this point, I think the writers have forgotten why they had Junior drop out and even having a bigger mess trying to get him out of his "gap year" mindset. Especially when the rest of his family keeps looking at him going: "You are going to end up dead or kicked out of the house at this rate." I see the latter happening after the fact that Dre just cut off Zoey over on Grown-ish. They said that story will effect Black-ish towards the end of the season. I can see Zoey coming home and begging Bow to get her money again or something, but I also see Bow going: "Nope, sorry, and why don't you take your brother with you, we are done with him too." 

• Like 3

When Dre showed up at the school obviously preparing to throw money at them, I thought he was going to make a big donation to endow a scholarship for other kids. That way, he could give back. I was so disappointed when he went in there and just acted like an ass, as usual.

The privileged kids don't turn down nepotism opportunities, or hires based on networking, and they aren't ashamed of that form of help. It's just accepted that they deserve to be there. But then the notion comes along that people who get other forms of help and don't have wealth or insider connections somehow should be embarrassed about it, or aren't deserving. The whole thought process is nuts.

• Like 12

I didn't love this episode, because 5 minutes in I sighed and thought "great, Dre's pride/ignorance is getting in the way and he will fuck this up". I am tired of these plots. And not that I jumped for joy when they brought on Kyra, but they have barely used her. This episode was about her but not her plot. 

I realize Junior's getting the job is highly unlikely (although the ad company is hardly a normal place), but I'm okay if it actually gets Junior to do something besides, well, nothing. Which he has been doing most of his gap year. Although I hope he does end up going to school at least part time, because there will be a point when a lack of a degree will hurt him no matter how good he is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

When Dre showed up at the school obviously preparing to throw money at them, I thought he was going to make a big donation to endow a scholarship for other kids. That way, he could give back. I was so disappointed when he went in there and just acted like an ass, as usual.

The privileged kids don't turn down nepotism opportunities, or hires based on networking, and they aren't ashamed of that form of help. It's just accepted that they deserve to be there. But then the notion comes along that people who get other forms of help and don't have wealth or insider connections somehow should be embarrassed about it, or aren't deserving. The whole thought process is nuts.

And I've known people who DON'T deserve to be where they are - they're not qualified at all. No skills, no relevant experience, in some cases no education ... they're just there because they're somebody's kid or nephew or family friend. I saw Michelle Obama speak on her book tour and one of the things she said that stuck with me is "I've sat at tables of high-powered mediocrity." Like once she, who IS smart and qualified, got a seat at the table, she realized just how much of a hustle "the table" is. It's just rich white dudes who have coasted along for so long they have no idea how average they actually are.

I loved when Ruby said straight up that bootstrapping is a myth. It is. It's one of the most pervasive myths in America, but it's a myth nonetheless.

• Like 18

I was sooo frustrated with this episode.  It was tone-deaf in a way that Blackish is normally not.  Junior berating Josh about hiring an assistant based on who he knew... when the only reason Junior was even there was because his rich, connected dad got him an "internship".  Hes a 19 yo kid with no education and no work experience.  I think its is totally fine for someone to not go to college, or take some time off to really think about what they want to do.  But Junior should be waiting tables, taking CC classes, volunteering, something to actually be a productive member of society in the meantime.  But his dad handed him an internship at a prestigious advertising firm, which he worked for a hot minute and then complains discrimination to gain himself an entry level job.  Ahead of kids who actually had to complete a MKTG degree, and get their own internships.  Very frustrating.

• Like 10

I’m starting to hate Junior. Him ranting about how he’s the most qualified candidate was a fucking joke. He’s a sheltered little rich kid who just graduated high school and dropped out of college after 1 day. How is he the most qualified? I was hoping Josh would say that to him but then he got the job which made it even more stupid.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, possibilities said:

Financially speaking, it would be more advantageous for Dre to make a charitable contribution in the exact amount of the scholarship, rather than pay the same amount in tuition.

• Like 3

I suppose it's a good thing Dre called his credit card company last episode to cancel the tuition payment, because he would have paid full price for perhaps a week or 2?

Also, Kyra must be the most resilient kid ever.  She'l have been in 4 schools in one year!  (The school she started at, public school with the Johnsons, private school with the Johnsons, and now public school with her Dad.)  How sad is that?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2

Junior. Him ranting about how he’s the most qualified candidate was a fucking joke. He’s a sheltered little rich kid who just graduated high school and dropped out of college after 1 day. How is he the most qualified? I was hoping Josh would say that to him but then he got the job which made it even more stupid.

Yes!  Junior had a point about Josh hiring someone who was just like him, but Junior wasn't the answer.  It would have been great if Josh agreed and then hired someone who'd graduated from the local community college because they had relevant internships and made a great ad pitch in the interview.

• Like 2