Type keyword(s) to search

While You Were Out - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Vern and Frank's family's closet appeared bigger than my master bedroom.  There's a part of me that would like to see WYWO do someone other than people who already own and can afford McMansions in Atlanta. Maybe for season 2 since I think Trading Spaces season 1 was entirely in Atlanta or the immediate area. Although maybe those folks are the only ones who can afford the increased taxes on the 10k remodel.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Vern and Frank's family's closet appeared bigger than my master bedroom.  There's a part of me that would like to see WYWO do someone other than people who already own and can afford McMansions in Atlanta. Maybe for season 2 since I think Trading Spaces season 1 was entirely in Atlanta or the immediate area. Although maybe those folks are the only ones who can afford the increased taxes on the 10k remodel.   

Seriously. That 1000 sq feet is bigger than my entire condo and I think the 10k budget is ridiculous (though I guess necessary to transform that much space.) I like this show but it's definitely more aspirational than inspirational.

• Love 9
On 4/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, vibeology said:

Seriously. That 1000 sq feet is bigger than my entire condo and I think the 10k budget is ridiculous (though I guess necessary to transform that much space.) I like this show but it's definitely more aspirational than inspirational.

Right? My condo is a little over 800 sq ft. Imagining what I could do if I had 10 grand to spend...

• Love 1
(edited)

I am not impressed with either rooms, Douglas and Kahi’s room has too much wallpaper but the den was cool, Nicole’s and Robert’s room is meh, the coffee table on the wall looks cheap, the family pictures on the wall looks cool though 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was hoping they would tell the husband that the other designer he didn't get to meet was Vanilla Ice.

I met Vanilla Ice at a concert years ago on “I Love the 90’s” tour, it was fun! 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was hoping they would tell the husband that the other designer he didn't get to meet was Vanilla Ice.

Me too. The husband was like "Oh well, I didn't meet Rob a random interior designer on TV. Too bad." Had they told him that Rob was Vanilla Ice, he might have been actually disappointed about not meeting Rob instead of fake disappointed.

• Love 2

I didn’t like the wallpaper in Doug’s room but pretty much everything else looked sharp.

Do they make the homeowners create drama? How many times has there been an “Oh no, something happened and they’re coming home early” situation? Seems like almost every week. And the woman complaining about the floor color...she wasn’t wrong, but to be all, “So how are you going to fix it?” seemed snippy.

I’m curious how much they record from the secret car camera. Do they remotely engage it when they know the car is near? Seems creepy with a potential to catch embarrassing private conversations.

• Love 6

First, even I was surprised that Rob Van Winkle even does design in addition to touring, but as soon I saw heard the name before “Vanilla Ice” was even mentioned I knew that much.

WYWO managed to have the sent out homeowners return early on every episode of this short first season of the revamped format. Yes, that is a little odd to me.

why so much Atlanta? Just as North Carolina killed off its film tax incentives,  (Homeland filmed its first three seasons there) Georgia kicked theirs up, attracting Tyler Perry to set up a film studio facility in the former site of the Fort McPherson military base. It also attracted a number of  films and TV series, off hand I can remember the Walking Dead, and I guess TLC and other Discovery channel are taking advantage of it. The McMansions were already all over the area while I still lived there (I had to leave 15+ years ago), it obviously got more widespread since then.

as to the designs, I liked both. And actually I agreed with the one homeowner about adding French doors; the end result was actually much better.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

why so much Atlanta? Just as North Carolina killed off its film tax incentives,  (Homeland filmed its first three seasons there) Georgia kicked theirs up, attracting Tyler Perry to set up a film studio facility in the former site of the Fort McPherson military base. It also attracted a number of  films and TV series, off hand I can remember the Walking Dead, and I guess TLC and other Discovery channel are taking advantage of it. 

You forgot about the biggest one, which is Marvel. Nearly every Marvel film since Ant-Man in 2014 has filmed at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta. The CW uses Georgia for the Vampire Diaries universe (The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and Legacies), Black Lightning, and Dynasty.

I also don’t like that this show started doing two houses, and they each get 10000, while TS gets only 2000. I mean if they can add an extra house for WYWO, they could add more money to TS. 

• Love 1

I kept wondering what Doug did to his hair.  

I thought both rooms were fine.  Not sure looked like $10000 spent, but completely fine.  I did like the picture collage wall in the one room and the den area in the other (that'll be really nice for guest - having both bed area and TV area - if they ever have guests).

• Love 1
(edited)

The big guest room was really nice, but the wallpaper was waaaay too busy.  Dial that back and it was lovely.

The attached office drove me nuts!  You have two nice windows and you back a couch up to them?  THEN you shove this tiny desk in a corner staring at a wall!  WTF?  This is a man's office and it ended up with a little "afterthought" work space.  Yech.  Maybe I'm too claustrophobic or love my outside views too much, but I'd have been yanking stuff out and around before the film crew left the driveway.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 5

So do the actual homeowners pay TLC the $10,000 or is the whole thing gifted to them? I assumed this was like that Nate & Jeremiah show where you're actually paying for the remodel. If that is the case I understand why that woman freaked out about the wood floors not matching.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

The big guest room was really nice, but the wallpaper was waaaay too busy.  Dial that back and it was lovely.

The attached office drove me nuts!  You have two nice windows and you back a couch up to them?  THEN you shove this tiny desk in a corner staring at a wall!  WTF?  This is a man's office and it ended up with a little "afterthought" work space.  Yech.  Maybe I'm too claustrophobic or love my outside views too much, but I'd have been yanking stuff out and around before the film crew left the driveway.

It didn't look like the computer setup he had on the original table would fit on that desk, either.

Nate and Jeremiah did a similar wall thing but IIRC it was actually painted and the color contrast wasn't as stark (more like gray on a soft blue-green or something like that) so it didn't seem so overwhelming.

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It didn't look like the computer setup he had on the original table would fit on that desk, either

The new "desk" was quite a bit smaller than his Costco folding table.  Of course, function often goes down the priority list on these shows.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

You forgot about the biggest one, which is Marvel. Nearly every Marvel film since Ant-Man in 2014 has filmed at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta. The CW uses Georgia for the Vampire Diaries universe (The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and Legacies), Black Lightning, and Dynasty.

In my defense I was typing that in the overnight hours and didn’t want to google everything.  My point was that the north Georgia area is being used for everything just about, and as for some of the TS and WYWO episodes, I had lived in some of those places, but even I wouldn’t be able to tell you more precisely where so many subdivisions look the same!

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It didn't look like the computer setup he had on the original table would fit on that desk, either.

That was the first thing I noticed and I still do not understand why the desk was moved and made smaller. Originally the wife didn't want the French Doors put in after they'd already build up the wall. They didn't tear down the new wall. It's there, the husband comments on it when he sees the room. The desk was supposed to connect to the new wall and run the length of the office area. How does not installing a door mean the desk had to go? That entire sequence of events was so confusing.

The only thing I can think is that's not actually his office; he has a real office elsewhere in the McMansion but to justify the makeover as "for him" they moved the computers into part of the guest room on a shitty table to make it look like that was his space. And when the wife realized that the focus of the makeover was on the office and not the guest room she pushed back because that wasn't really her priority.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

The only thing I can think is that's not actually his office; he has a real office elsewhere in the McMansion but to justify the makeover as "for him" they moved the computers into part of the guest room on a shitty table to make it look like that was his space. And when the wife realized that the focus of the makeover was on the office and not the guest room she pushed back because that wasn't really her priority

I like that theory.  I was only coming up with it's not his primary office and more of a place to work from home if needed, and more of a place to watch TV away from everything else.  I like your theory better.  It makes more sense, and as I noted above it does make for a nice guest suite.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, AZ Curls said:

So do the actual homeowners pay TLC the $10,000 or is the whole thing gifted to them?

I read? somewhere that the homeowners pay for renovations on these shows (Property Bros, Fixer Upper, Love It List It, etc.), and the designers carry them out.

The "gift" is getting to be on TV.

Edited by roughing it
17 hours ago, alexa said:

I also don’t like that this show started doing two houses, and they each get 10000, while TS gets only 2000. I mean if they can add an extra house for WYWO, they could add more money to TS. 

I thought the money came from the show for these two shows, there's some discussion of this above. But Alexa, you gave me an idea how to give Trading Spaces a little more spice - add a third house and another set of homeowners and another crew! Then Hildi could do her "magic" more.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, roughing it said:

I read? somewhere that the homeowners pay for renovations on these shows (Property Bros, Fixer Upper, Love It List It, etc.), and the designers carry them out.

The "gift" is getting to be on TV.

On HGTV it may be like that, but on TLC, it’s out of the production budget. WYWO had a notably higher budget than TS in its earlier incarnation.

Nate and Jeremiah By Design is sort of a blend. The homeowner provides the fund for the primary renovations being featured, but the show adds in something additional that the homeowner doesn’t know about that comes out of the show’s budget.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:39 AM, Jaded said:

I'm thinking when the part where the people drive up in their vehicles acting shocked is staged. I can't think of another way they'd get footage in there of them unless a camera a hidden camera gets put in the vehicles beforehand by whoever is staying home while the other person is away. Recreating people driving up to their homes would explain the way the guys in the first episode didn't seem truly shocked.

Yes, I agree.  And isn't it just too coincidental that in all the episodes to date the other party always comes home early? They weren't the least suspicious that THEY were picked for a promotional video?  And they are MUCH too calm when they find out what is going on.  I think they are completely in on it from the get go.  If I came home and my husband had redone a room with NO input from me I would NOT be that calm.  The smartest homeowner yet was the guy that had them finish his unfinished attic space.  Even if you hate the design, you still have drywall and flooring!

• Love 5
On 3/16/2019 at 10:43 PM, DVDFreaker said:

Did anyone think the Auburn room feels underwhelming? The girls usually do a great job on their designs but this one was not good

I just watched this episode On Demand and the Auburn room was underwhelming. I mean if you're going to put words on a wall for an Auburn fan then "Go Team" sucks. How about Go Tigers or, better still, War Eagle! It was so obvious the designers knew nothing about Auburn. Even the "A" and "U" on the wall should have been an A superimposed over a U. The blue was the wrong shade of blue and just meh.

• Love 1