Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Destinee's Story

• Start Topic

Patient in this episode was a big hot mess, but somehow it still managed to be extremely boring.  Like most of the episodes this season.  Except for Maja.   Which was great if only because we got to see a human being get set free from a life of abusive servitude.  Yes I speak of Chriss-shen, or sometimes Chriss-shen- ah.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

“I’m hoping having an empty stomach will help me weigh a few pounds (!!!)  less.”

That said, Destinee’s backstory was breaking my heart! That was a very bad one. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Usually I don't feel bad about the backstory, it usually seems like a big excuse to me. But this lady I felt really bad. I don't understand though if her foster mom had 8 kids, how she was able to get to be 300 pounds by aged 8- she could just go in and take any food any time? It seems insane that a household with 8 kids was not run more strictly as far as things like just helping yourself to food.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

For me, there was so much to be concerned about with this episode.

At the age of 15, Destinee said, she "had made it to over 350 lbs." And "[T]o make it even harder, I realized around this time that I was gay."

Then she said she came out as gay at 18, while living with her mother. She said her mother had a hard time with the news initially, but eventually came around, while the rest of her family could not accept it. 

Then came the part that really made me sit up and take notice (boldface mine):

"Not only was I gay, but over the next couple of years, I started to live life as a woman. I decided 'Hey, like I look like a woman, maybe I should try on wigs.' And so one day I tried on certain wigs, and makeup, and I was like 'Oh, I'm so beautiful.' I said 'I should,' I said, 'I think I should be a woman.' I said 'I look so good as a woman.' And when I was 22, I decided to start living my life as a full woman."

Being transgender isn't about deciding to present as the gender opposite to the one you were assigned at birth because you look better as that gender.

This is so strange. There is no mention of Destinee ever feeling she was female. According to what we were shown, Destinee's transgender identity is based upon Destinee looking at her body and deciding it conforms more closely to a female body than a male body, and making the decision to present as female because of that.

There was also no mention of Destinee ever seeing a therapist specializing in gender dysphoria, or her being on cross-sex hormone therapy. It doesn't sound like she was ever formally diagnosed as gender dysphoric. As a matter of fact, there would have been no reason for Destinee to be concerned losing weight might result in her losing her breasts and "womanly curves" entirely (she mentioned this more than once) if she was in treatment and receiving hormone therapy.

Later, when Destinee went for her session with Dr. Lola, Lola asked:

"Can you describe to me at what age do you first recall feeling you were not in the right body?" 

Destinee responded "First I realized that I was gay. But I think I was like 21 when I decided to dress as a woman live my life as a woman." 

Destinee did not say she has ever felt she "[was] not in the right body". At least on camera, Lola didn't dig deeper into Destinee's response, which didn't answer the question she'd asked.

I think we all agree Destinee has very deep - and serious - psychological issues, none of which she is responsible for creating (IMHO). Her upbringing was horrible. She never felt loved, protected, or valued as a part of a strong, stable family unit. That she turned to food isn't surprising. She is desperately in need of long-term therapy to address these issues. 

Whether Destinee is truly transgender is questionable to me. Of course, we can only go by what TLC has allowed us to hear of what Destinee said about the issue. It does sound like Destinee has been desperately searching for an identity that will gain her acceptance, so she will finally have the love and support she needs, lacking in her life up to the present. Perhaps she thought the trans community would be that for her.

Or maybe Destinee thinks she'll gain more acceptance from society as a whole (and perhaps her family) dating men if she presents as female, than as a man who is same-sex attracted?

Perhaps there's more - a lot more - about Destinee's trans identity she chose not to share with TLC, or that TLC chose not to share with us.

Also confusing is despite saying she's a trans woman, she still refers to herself as being gay. A trans woman attracted to men isn't gay. Only trans woman attracted to other women are considered gay (lesbian).

TL/DR: Destinee needs some serious, long-term psychotherapy with a therapist who specializes in gender identity to begin to unpack all of the issues which led to her overeating, and to help Destinee determine if she's truly gender dysphoric (meets the clinical criteria for that diagnosis as outlined in the DSM-5), or whether her adopting a trans identity is driven by something else. As much as I like Dr. Lola and Dr. Paradise, I'm not sure either one of them is qualified to do the type of intensive therapy Destinee needs.

I was honesty very confused by that, and perhaps she was/is.  Gay is one thing.  Transgender is another.  Both ARE possible for one person.  Neither is really relevant to me, but I'm still confused.

• Love 3

My opinion about the Kia . . . I bet it was the other lady's car.  Think about it.  If they have to hire a film crew at Dr. Now's office, there is expense involved with setting up and filming, not to mention the disruption to other patients at Dr. Now's office.  We often comment on how the patients are filmed leaving after dark, which implies that they film at the end of the day.

So it would make sense that they might be filming two stories on the same day.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, embarassed2bhere said:

I was honesty very confused by that, and perhaps she was/is.  Gay is one thing.  Transgender is another.  Both ARE possible for one person.  Neither is really relevant to me, but I'm still confused.

All I care about 600lbers is their weight loss journey.  The rest is noise, which was very loud this week.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

All I care about 600lbers is their weight loss journey.  The rest is noise, which was very loud this week.

It was extremely boring noise at that. I am ready for a Schenee. So many great quotes from that episode.

schenee.jpg

• LOL 4
On 3/6/2019 at 11:12 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Okay, I will make this official: did not end up liking her at all. As I said during the Live Chat, she had that "I'm just trying to be the next Twitney" vibe for me. Initially, her backstory really got to me; still does actually 'cause it was awful. However, I just felt kind of reeled in by her at first and then gobsmacked with her very self-centered, sometimes entitled attitude like expecting Dr. Now to just "recognize" her half-assed efforts.

I hear what you're saying, but I didn't dislike her as much as a lot of others. In a small southern town, I can see that she's had a lot stacked against her, most of her life.
The whole second hour, I was afraid her mother was going to die.
I will admit that it was kind of boring.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

What was so wrong with that apartment? I mean we all saw that mess she  left behind,it looked like she’d never vacuumed the place,and she has the nerve to complain about a cabinet? 

It should be clean when you move in, and I thought I saw a door of the hinges.  
The norm is for apartments to be thoroughly cleaned between tenants, carpets shampooed, windows and walls washed.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

The norm is for apartments to be thoroughly cleaned between tenants, carpets shampooed, windows and walls washed.

I noticed the door too - rather odd. Other than that, it didn't look bad enough to warrant a meltdown and phone throw. Honestly, it looked cleaner than the place she moved from. The carpet in her first place was disgusting. Filthy. I didn't necessarily dislike her, but she was very boring and her long slow monologues got stale. Her attire, though, was what gave me serious side eye. Why in the world did she wear those ridiculous street walker clothes? I will say, the story about her brother was sad as hell. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, WonTon said:

I know it makes me sound awful but I'm kinda ready for a Penny/James/Lisa train wreck episode.

I have Erica on my DVR, all ready to go.  "Your boat, your sister's life?"

8 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

At the beginning Destinee said she changed her birth Name “Matthew” but when we saw her check into the Hotel,I heard her tell the desk She’s checking in for “Matthew” 

I wonder how hard this is to do, and how much hassle she'd get.

I'm with just a few other posters on this but I really like Destinee and I thought this was a good episode. Destinee struggled to get with Dr. Now's program but I was shocked when surgery day came how great she looked. Losing 100+ pounds had really changed her body. Even at her heaviest, she was probably the most self-sufficient and physically capable participant I've seen at over 650 pounds.

I couldn't believe it when Dr. Now sent Destinee for therapy and she muttered something like, "I wouldn't have anything to talk to a therapist about".... Is there anybody with more to tell a therapist? Just her truly tragic childhood in foster care, the rejection she suffered from her father, her brother dying in her arms, her wanting to "join" her dead brother, being bullied, rejected, or denied opportunities because of her sexuality/gender transition, etc., etc., etc. What a brutal life she has lived. I'm amazed she is alive. Many people with a childhood like hers are already dead of a drug overdose by her age. In a way, she was lucky she went to food as her addiction because it bought her a little more time than if she had turned to drugs. This was also the first time I was super impressed with Lola. I think she was exactly the right therapist for Destinee.

How often have we heard participants on this show talk about wanting to get a job?! Not often. Not often at all. I hope Destinee continues to do well. I wish for all good things coming her way.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, LilMissKnowitall said:

I  liked her, I thought she was more reasonable and polite than many of the people we've seen on this show. Her clothing choices weren't always the most flattering but she may not have a lot of resources. I was incredibly impressed with her ability to take care of herself . . .

Regarding her expression of her gender identity she mentioned  it was hard to talk about emotions and seemed uncomfortable/awkward articulating her experiences sometimes; she may not have processed it all yet, or may not be as familiar with the "appropriate" language that many of us are versed in. It didn't sound like she had experienced much interaction in the transgender community and I don't recall seeing her online much so she may simply be unaware, but I trust that she knows best for herself how to live her life. 

I'm kind of surprised I seem to be in the minority about my feelings about her. I liked how she kept moving through stuff and really like her for her desire to be a contributing member of society. 

Yesterday morning I posted upthread that I didn't like Destinee a lot, but also, mindful of the awful things she experienced from early childhood, I'm inclined to cut her some slack.

After my post, you Pounders continued the discussion with so many thoughtful and thought-provoking posts that I've taken my time to read, at least twice, through this discussion. In particular, you thoughtfully, and respectfully, explored issues that were in my thoughts but that I didn't address in my post. I'm not quoting or calling out all the posts I liked above, which would just chew up bandwidth because it's pretty much all of them. 😊 

What was on my mind after I posted early yesterday, and even before I read any of your later comments, was basically the bolded statement above.  

Although I didn't like Destinee a lot, I didn't dislike her, and I respected her. Somehow, living in small-town Louisiana, in less than ideal family and economic circumstances, feeling "different" in so many ways, she made decisions about how to live her life that may not have been easily accepted by those around her. And eventually, she managed to get herself outta there, to the big city (Houston) and I hope to a better, less isolated, life. 

Yesterday I noted that she seemed less focused on the weight loss than on being on TV.  Now I'm not so sure it was all about being on TV, but maybe also, or even mainly, about getting herself out of what seemed to be a very limited, probably lonely, life at home in Louisiana. (And not New Orleans which could have been a much different scene, but small town Louisiana.

Somehow, as @LilMissKnowitall recognized, Destinee found the energy to move forward, and keep moving forward. I hope she finds a way to have her curves *and* a healthy weight, and finds good friends in Houston. 

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Usually I don't feel bad about the backstory, it usually seems like a big excuse to me. But this lady I felt really bad. I don't understand though if her foster mom had 8 kids, how she was able to get to be 300 pounds by aged 8- she could just go in and take any food any time? It seems insane that a household with 8 kids was not run more strictly as far as things like just helping yourself to food.

I wonder if the foster mom was one of those people who are very kind and loving, but mistakenly demonstrate love via overfeeding. I can imagine someone feeling compassion for their foster kids and wanting to make them happy that way. I dunno, just a thought. 

(Whatever the cause, it wasn’t good, and I was also thinking about the expense involved! Foster homes are often stretched a bit thin financially.)

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

One of my co-workers fostered several children (a very large family that they didnt want to separate). All of them had severely disordered eating. Coming from a home where they were almost always hungry, they hoarded things like sugar packets and anything else in their rooms. She didnt want to put locks on the pantry and fridge. So, it was challenging. 

• Love 7

How are y'all doing today?

I noticed in the live chat, many people pointing out that Destinee told Lola that she really didn't want to lose weight, for fear of losing her curves (really? Being 200 pounds would render you curveless?), and that she just wants to be on TV. Didn't she mention that she cannot complete her transition unless she loses weight?  A doctor must have informed her that she would never qualify for gender reassignment surgery at 600 pounds. Any surgery is risky at that weight. Dr. Now tells us that all the time. So, basically, someone forced her hand. 

But yeah, being on TV probably was a perk, too. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Azubah said:

Online, it says Destinee is from Opelousas, LA. That's a long way from Pineville. And yeah, I heard them say "Pineville" too. Seems to be a shorter drive from Opelousas.

The caption at the beginning where they give the location was "Pineville, LA" and the voice over may have also said that.  I would guess that perhaps if she moved back from Houston, she might have chosen  a different town to live in.  Now that they put in an interstate between Pineville and Opelousas, it is only an hour drive between the two.   And  Opelousas would be about 20 minutes closer to Houston. 

I forgot to comment earlier that I was appalled she sat on her brother's grave.   Maybe cemetery etiquette has changed over the years.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

I wonder how hard this is to do, and how much hassle she'd get.

A simple name change is easy, legally.  I changed mine.  Cost less than $100, plus the time involved to get it changed at Social Security, Motor Vehicles, etc., etc.,

My opinion is that it's not so easy to change it from a man's name to a woman's name until the gender change process is complete.  Given that she never seems to complete anything, this may never happen.  The hotel reservation was probably under Matthew, because that's what all of the legal documentation still shows.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

A simple name change is easy, legally.  I changed mine.  Cost less than $100, plus the time involved to get it changed at Social Security, Motor Vehicles, etc., etc.,

My opinion is that she may not want to change it from a man's name to a woman's name until the gender change process is complete.  Given that she never seems to complete anything, this may never happen.  Didn't she even say in one of the voice-overs, "Maybe I should go back to being a man?"  

The hotel reservation was probably under Matthew, because that's what all of the legal documentation still shows.

1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

My opinion is that it's not so easy to change it from a man's name to a woman's name until the gender change process is complete.  Given that she never seems to complete anything, this may never happen.  The hotel reservation was probably under Matthew, because that's what all of the legal documentation still shows.

I figure she didn't have much money to spare, that it might be much easier to change her name than her designated gender, and so maybe she's waiting to change both the name and gender on her official IDs at the same time.

It wasn't clear from what we saw on the show - and it's mostly irrelevant to M600PL - how much she had done, prior to M600PL, to seek any kind of gender reassignment medical work, including hormone treatments and surgery. @ChicksDigScars pointed out that Destinee's not going to be eligible for surgery at 600+ pounds. I wonder if Destinee had even met with a doctor about it; she may have figured out from online research that she was too heavy to be eligible.

2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I wonder if Destinee had even met with a doctor about it; she may have figured out from online research that she was too heavy to be eligible.

If my understanding is correct, anyone seeking gender reassignment surgery also has to spend time with a therapist . . . and she told Dr. Now she had never seen one.  I honestly don't think she had been dressing as a female for all that long and - as I said above - she even mentioned, "Maybe I should go back to being a man."  That doesn't seem like a good candidate for gender reassignment surgery to me.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

How are y'all doing today?

I noticed in the live chat, many people pointing out that Destinee told Lola that she really didn't want to lose weight, for fear of losing her curves (really? Being 200 pounds would render you curveless?), and that she just wants to be on TV. Didn't she mention that she cannot complete her transition unless she loses weight?  A doctor must have informed her that she would never qualify for gender reassignment surgery at 600 pounds. Any surgery is risky at that weight. Dr. Now tells us that all the time. So, basically, someone forced her hand. 

But yeah, being on TV probably was a perk, too. 

I took "curves" to mean breasts, which probably would be much smaller with a significant weight loss.  It didn't look like those were implants or even from taking estrogen, but rather from being very heavy.  Did you notice, she wore a garment that pushed her breasts together, but when she wasn't wearing that, her breasts looked like they were just the result of being a very heavy male.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I took "curves" to mean breasts, which probably would be much smaller with a significant weight loss.  It didn't look like those were implants or even from taking estrogen, but rather from being very heavy.  Did you notice, she wore a garment that pushed her breasts together, but when she wasn't wearing that, her breasts looked like they were just the result of being a very heavy male.

Without taking any kind of hormones, her breasts would look like that of a heavy male. 

Edited by libgirl2
21 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

She wasn’t 300lbs by age 8 but 150lbs. 

If her foster parents were decent (and it seems like they were) they probably wanted to give the kids in their care any luxuries they like could. A full fridge of yummy food was probably something they could provide that could keep the kids happy. 

I know all families were different but I grew up in a house where I could get things to eat at anytime. Now at 8 I wasn’t supposed to use the stove unsupervised but that’s it. If I wanted something I just went in the kitchen and got it- made sure to clean up the mess afterwards was the only rule. Yes I was a fat child and am a fat adult- I looked like many of the child photos we see on the show but I stopped gaining when I reached my adult height at 14. I’m 5’7 and a 16w/18w, so I don’t stick out in a USA crowd. I’ve often wondered what turns a fat kid into a me, versus a 600lb person. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

My opinion about the Kia . . . I bet it was the other lady's car.  Think about it.  If they have to hire a film crew at Dr. Now's office, there is expense involved with setting up and filming, not to mention the disruption to other patients at Dr. Now's office.  We often comment on how the patients are filmed leaving after dark, which implies that they film at the end of the day.

So it would make sense that they might be filming two stories on the same day.

I have been recording a few shows that I thought I had missed.  In one of them James is exiting the building, and he seems to recognize a young boy who I am almost positive  belongs to Tara.  I didn't recall seeing the James epi, and the only thing I remembered about Tara was her mother.  Since I didn't remember Tara herself I had to watch it.   I would love an episode on how the poundcipients react to each other during filming especially since it looks like they may all be living near each other.  I would love to see them all at a nutrition or cooking class. 

And I would love to see Destiny help everyone else unpack their u-Hauls since she seemed to do a good job with hers.

I did like that she got a job.   Delivering food sounds like a bad job for an over-eater, but it is better than slinging hash at a diner or working at McD's.   I would suspect it is hard to get hired if the prospective employer knows you are going to be taking off a lot in the next year for skin removal surgery.  Not sure what the ADA would say about that.

• Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I have been recording a few shows that I thought I had missed.  In one of them James is exiting the building, and he seems to recognize a young boy who I am almost positive  belongs to Tara.  I didn't recall seeing the James epi, and the only thing I remembered about Tara was her mother.  Since I didn't remember Tara herself I had to watch it.   I would love an episode on how the poundcipients react to each other during filming especially since it looks like they may all be living near each other.  I would love to see them all at a nutrition or cooking class. 

And I would love to see Destiny help everyone else unpack their u-Hauls since she seemed to do a good job with hers.

I did like that she got a job.   Delivering food sounds like a bad job for an over-eater, but it is better than slinging hash at a diner or working at McD's.   I would suspect it is hard to get hired if the prospective employer knows you are going to be taking off a lot in the next year for skin removal surgery.  Not sure what the ADA would say about that.

Watch both episodes of the early Melissa programs when she is working for Dr. Now.  And then her first real follow up when she attends a group session after gaining weight.  In those years, you can see quite a few of the early patients interacting.  

I never noticed the first James and one of Tara's children.  I liked both  James1 and Tara because they were successful.   I think both James and Tara lived near enough to Houston that they lived at home and traveled to Houston just for appointments and surgery.  James1 appeared to be an accountant who owned land that he wanted to use as a cash crop.  There were a lot of tears in that episode, even from the men who worked in his fields.  And Tara, who wore what looked like bloomers under her very nice dresses, needed a strong scolding from Dr. Now to get her act in gear.  She had quite the proper, nicely dressed mom.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

How often have we heard participants on this show talk about wanting to get a job?! Not often. Not often at all. I hope Destinee continues to do well. I wish for all good things coming her way.

True, and this was the first thing she wanted to do, not on some bucket list.

• Love 1

I'm maybe in the minority in not wanting train wrecks, but wishing people success. I don't find this season boring, (well excluding the last couple episodes.) People who lose that first 80 or more pounds, I'm happy for. I thought Destinee's journal/voiceover better than a few. Like not complete flat affect boring. But really, 24? pounds in two months, at that weight that's a good bowel movement.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 3/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, auntjess said:

And after she moved in, she kept it up quite nicely! So I don't think she was out of line to want to start out in a fresh, clean space.

• Love 2
On 3/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, fonfereksglen said:

I never noticed the first James and one of Tara's children. 

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but as James is leaving he does a little wave, and there is a boy in the corner of the screen who looks like maybe he belongs to Tara.  He may not.

After Destinee's sperm donor (I refuse to call a man who abandoned three little kids a father) reacted so badly to their one meeting, and died a week later, then I totally understand why Destinee didn't want to talk publicly about anything else as personal as her feelings.            I hope that Destinee continues on the path to health, and happiness. 

3 hours ago, Kid said:

Was just watching this again. In almost every scene, her bewbs were just about ready to pop out!!!

If she thinks this is how a woman conducts herself she needs to hang out with different women.  

IMO, transgender has nothing to do with being sexy or a perception of such.  Desiree has again IMO a myriad of problems that Lola isn't equipped to address.  She's not even a psychologist.  

As a woman, I'm offended of how she shows herself.  If that's how she think that's what it takes to a woman ... we've had decades of fighting that we're not just giant boobs.  And I've also wanted to throttle women who felt that way and got enhancements.  Still remember a Judge Judy where a young pretty woman borrowed money so she could get better tips at Hooters.  Gawd, we're better than that.  

I'm being harsh.  Desiree has issues.  I doubt any of them will be solved.  But do hope she can find some peace.  But damn -- cover up!

• Love 7
(edited)

I hope that as Destinee gets healthier, and widens her circle of acquaintances, she will see that you don't have to dress super sexy to impress people, and that she needs to present a more tasteful attire to get on in the work world too.    I think Houston will be the place to do that, and it will fit her much better than the small town she was living in.     I hope that she's a super success story for Dr. Now, and gets her other surgeries she is hoping for.          However, I'm also hoping her skin surgeries are with a plastic surgeon.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Otter said:

If she thinks this is how a woman conducts herself she needs to hang out with different women.  

IMO, transgender has nothing to do with being sexy or a perception of such.  Desiree has again IMO a myriad of problems that Lola isn't equipped to address.  She's not even a psychologist.  

As a woman, I'm offended of how she shows herself.  If that's how she think that's what it takes to a woman ... we've had decades of fighting that we're not just giant boobs.  And I've also wanted to throttle women who felt that way and got enhancements.  Still remember a Judge Judy where a young pretty woman borrowed money so she could get better tips at Hooters.  Gawd, we're better than that.  

I'm being harsh.  Desiree has issues.  I doubt any of them will be solved.  But do hope she can find some peace.  But damn -- cover up!

That is exactly how I felt - offended - and I usually hate using the word "offended". Maybe it is an innocent misconception on her part, that she believes that is considered "feminine" but I feel it is more along the lines of trashy. I don't like my girls spilling over in public, personally. There is definitely a lot more to being a woman than having and/or exposing your boobs. 

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:06 PM, KateHearts said:

I am convinced that the scripts these people read are all written by the same person.  The grammar errors repeat, repeat, repeat.  "Me and my mom are headed back to Houston..."  "Aaron and me are driving to Houston..."  and then- this one puzzles me- the phrase "I need," used improperly.  As in, "I hope I lose the weight so I can get where I need," or, "I am working hard and exercising to be where I need."  That doesn't even make sense to me but I heard it at least 5 times last night.

Yes, yes, YES! And regarding the "where I need" part of your post, I've noticed that Dr. Now uses that same phrasing. Could he be writing the scripts??? lol

• Useful 1

It looks like we can revisit Destinee's fashion style and story tonight. My onscreen guide shows the Supersized edition of this episode on the schedule, as a new episode, not a repeat.

48 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It looks like we can revisit Destinee's fashion style and story tonight. My onscreen guide shows the Supersized edition of this episode on the schedule, as a new episode, not a repeat.

Thanks, but, no thanks.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Yes, yes, YES! And regarding the "where I need" part of your post, I've noticed that Dr. Now uses that same phrasing. Could he be writing the scripts??? lol

After seeing that wonderful picture of him off duty, I hope he really spends a ton of time with his grandchildren making miniature Lego hospitals.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't watch this show often, because TLC is nothing but a modern-day freak show. How is what they do not exploiting the people who appear, whether it's this show or the one with the little people or the doctor who pops pimples?

Anyway, I did watch this episode, and while I think some of the Lola comments here are positive, I think she's awful. I thought her "advice" to Destinee was terrible, and that little baby girl voice she uses was nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying.

What is it with transgender women who pick stripper-sounding names? 

Catching up on old episodes and just watched this one.  I appear to be in the minority but I liked her.  Yes, she dressed as a woman 1/4 her size but there was something very refreshing about her.  She was the most mobile of anyone I've ever seen on this show that size and seemed to have some decent self esteem even with all her issues.  She is one of the few that I would like to see in a follow up.  I hope she sticks with it.

• Love 6

I agree with you.  Destinee was so nice, and has over come so much, that I'm really rooting for her.    I really hope that she gets everything she's hoping for, and is a total success story.    I really wish the producers would do a multistory arc on her, and her medical journey going forward.    That could be a lovely story, and Destinee deserves to reach her goals.   I do wish that someone would advise her on business attire, and dressing for success.     

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree with you.  Destinee was so nice, and has over come so much, that I'm really rooting for her.    I really hope that she gets everything she's hoping for, and is a total success story.    I really wish the producers would do a multistory arc on her, and her medical journey going forward.    That could be a lovely story, and Destinee deserves to reach her goals.   I do wish that someone would advise her on business attire, and dressing for success.     

She could easily be the subject of a mini series or special following her through, not only the weight loss but the unique transgender issues she also faces.  I actually found her quite fascinating.  Ditto on some dressing tips! 🙂  I think what I found so refreshing about her is she seemed more in tune with who she is than most people, obese or not.  I would watch a show about her!

• Love 2

Something random that makes me sad about Destinee’s episode: I use Tivo with Comcast, so I don’t know if the episode descriptions come from Tivo, or they’re just the Comcast ones (I think it’s Comcast though)...anyways every single other M600PL episode has some kind of actual description, but Destinee’s is literally just “Destinee is profiled.” That’s it. I don’t know why. But it’s kinda jarring. Seems kind of unfair. Why doesn’t she get a description? Why is the the only one that doesn’t?

10 hours ago, NeitherSparky said:

Something random that makes me sad about Destinee’s episode: I use Tivo with Comcast, so I don’t know if the episode descriptions come from Tivo, or they’re just the Comcast ones (I think it’s Comcast though)...anyways every single other M600PL episode has some kind of actual description, but Destinee’s is literally just “Destinee is profiled.” That’s it. I don’t know why. But it’s kinda jarring. Seems kind of unfair. Why doesn’t she get a description? Why is the the only one that doesn’t?

That must be a Comcast thing.  I had a regular description.  But that would be kind of sad to read.

Foster homes often have food banks as a resource. Most of that food is loaded with carbs.

Some kids in foster care have an issue with food hoarding. Not saying it is okay, but I can see some foster parents giving in just because it is easier. I already have my ticket to Hell.