Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Breakdown

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I'm with Han -- Shaun lost any lawsuit he may have had by the breakdown in Han's office.  He could have written a report on why a compromise with him being largely in Pathology (where his diagnostic skills work best), with the occasional surgical consult, where his visual skills work best, with one copy to Han and one copy to Andrews (who has the power to override ANY decision by Han).  

Shaun was transferred not based on his current assessment but due to what challenges he might have in the future.  That is a blatant breach of the ADA.  Period.  Any lawsuit would add a request for increased damages due to mental destabilization from said breach.  It's effectively saying that a bullied person who reacts emotionally to being bullied is being over-emotional and that premise is gaslighting.  When he is saying "I am a surgeon" it resonates with "I am a man".  Han is essentially withdrawing Shaun's agency.  Being a surgeon is the core of his identity and surgical residents are only transferred or wash out due to specific errors not what they might be - albeit Han makes a better point of it in the last episode.  We know from Trampoline that Han knew an autie personally so he damned well knew what he was doing putting up the music and he admits to having tested Shaun.   He will brook no counter-evidence.  Surgeons are also scientists and that kind of attitude is toxic.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I'm with Han -- Shaun lost any lawsuit he may have had by the breakdown in Han's office.  He could have written a report on why a compromise with him being largely in Pathology (where his diagnostic skills work best), with the occasional surgical consult, where his visual skills work best, with one copy to Han and one copy to Andrews (who has the power to override ANY decision by Han).  

Perhaps, Shaun can't be moved or fired due to his autism, but he's not entitled to any job due to it either.  No, Shaun, you're NOT a surgeon, no matter how loud or many times you scream it, unless the Chief of Surgery says you are.

Incorrect - Han's bullying of Shaun (not to mention his illegal moving of Shaun to another residency program) led to his decompensatory event. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

When he is saying "I am a surgeon" it resonates with "I am a man".  Han is essentially withdrawing Shaun's agency.  Being a surgeon is the core of his identity.

This is immaterial. I can say (and shout and stamp my feet) "I am an astronaut -- it is the core of my being!!!"  It doesn't  make me one.  Shaun's sense of entitlement is that just because he wants (or even needs) to be a surgeon doesn't mean that he gets to be one.  His failure to even TRY to compromise with Han -- instead of repeating the non-argument of "I am a surgeon!" -- just reinforced Han's opinion.

But I am repeating myself, so this is my last post on the subject.

I think the bigger gaffe  is that not one of the Board said "Publish and be damned".  And asked if Han would go on record about releasing any embarrassing information bout the Board. 

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, jhlipton said:

This is immaterial. I can say (and shout and stamp my feet) "I am an astronaut -- it is the core of my being!!!"  It doesn't  make me one.  Shaun's sense of entitlement is that just because he wants (or even needs) to be a surgeon doesn't mean that he gets to be one.  His failure to even TRY to compromise with Han -- instead of repeating the non-argument of "I am a surgeon!" -- just reinforced Han's opinion.

But I am repeating myself, so this is my last post on the subject.

I think the bigger gaffe  is that not one of the Board said "Publish and be damned".  And asked if Han would go on record about releasing any embarrassing information bout the Board. 

In the same way Neil Armstrong could say "I am an Astronaut".  Because after 6 years of training and nailing surgery after surgery and saving many lives he IS a surgeon.  It's not a job. It is a calling.  And when it is the equivalent to the civil rights "I am a Man" I believe he is asserting - in his own way - his dignity.  It's not child-like petulance.  It's from a man pushed to the edge who has been manipulated into a position unfairly.  

• Love 7