Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Guardians

• Start Topic

I'm not understanding the Rosita thing. I thought she was pregnant by Siddiq but in love with Gabriel and Gabriel decided to stay in a relationship with her. Eugene also loves her. But, if she loves Gabriel and Gabriel loves her and Siddiq knows he's just the baby daddy and Eugene knows he doesn't stand a chance this really isn't a quadrangle or triangle or anything. It's just a relationship between two people with some baggage, right?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

But, if she loves Gabriel and Gabriel loves her and Siddiq knows he's just the baby daddy and Eugene knows he doesn't stand a chance this really isn't a quadrangle or triangle or anything. It's just a relationship between two people with some baggage, right?

Well, considering the implications of the three of them going inside, I'd say it's at least a triangle.  Since the "baggage" probably lives two doors down and you have to see it every day , I think it could be awkward.

2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

She was a great peripheral character, but as a lead she doesn’t work.  Danai really isn’t that good an actress, her delivery is stilted.

Agree she's in the ranks of "not very good actors" on this show. I don't recall seeing her do anything but chop up walkers, scowl and whisper. She's always been portrayed as being perfect and perfection is deadly dull, just as dull and boring as pure evil.

• Love 7

I have been exposed as a liar folks. I initially said I would quit this show when Rick left yet I'm still here. I was roped in by Michonne and RJ. When they leave, I'm out. Officially and permanently. Please kill off Henry. For someone raised by Carol and Ezekiel, he is too stupid to live. When Carl was his age he wasn't that stupid at all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, considering the implications of the three of them going inside, I'd say it's at least a triangle.  Since the "baggage" probably lives two doors down and you have to see it every day , I think it could be awkward.

Agree she's in the ranks of "not very good actors" on this show. I don't recall seeing her do anything but chop up walkers, scowl and whisper. She's always been portrayed as being perfect and perfection is deadly dull, just as dull and boring as pure evil.

I thought they were going in to hash things out. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, tricknasty said:

I have been exposed as a liar folks. I initially said I would quit this show when Rick left yet I'm still here. I was roped in by Michonne and RJ. When they leave, I'm out. Officially and permanently. Please kill off Henry. For someone raised by Carol and Ezekiel, he is too stupid to live. When Carl was his age he wasn't that stupid at all. 

I wouldn't expect much from RJ. The only sightings of him was a shot of him running to Michonne and this episode with him sleeping. The kid is a ghost so far.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I thought they were going in to hash things out.

Oh, maybe, but a three-way would be much more interesting. If they're hashing it out, I just pray we don't have to listen to a teary and heartfelt  "Torn Between Two Lovers" monologues. I miss Abe more than I thought I would.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I think Michonne is beautiful.  But scowling doesn’t become her.  And she’s dull on her own. 

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I've found her ugly as hell from day one.  Her make-out scenes were so disgusting to me I couldn't even watch.  No wonder Andrew Lincoln left the show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Alpha's version went through that woman's neck like a hot knife through butter, sharper than a razor blade.

The item that you link to is a pretty popular thing in emergency kits, especially for hikers and campers.

Yup; Awful modified hers to have oversized full-hand hoops at the end rather than the “factory” finger rings, but other than that it’s the same thing.  

You can cut down moderately small trees with those little buggers, so I doubt the meat of a human neck is going to put up much resistance - especially when it’s being pulled full-force by a beefy psycho bitch with the worst southern accent this side of Kansas City.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

The Whispers are a ridiculous enemy.  They wander all day long with zombies, wear smelly masks even in camp and eat worms.  Why would anyone follower this lady?  They have no guns and their weapons are crude.  It just doesn't compute.  Hilltop could have wiped them all out the first time they showed up at their gate. I love this show but my love is dying slowly with every episode.

And she talks....whispers too much too.  What is it with these long winded bad guys?

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Yakima said:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I've found her ugly as hell from day one.  Her make-out scenes were so disgusting to me I couldn't even watch.  No wonder Andrew Lincoln left the show.

I felt the same way but in my case it made me sick to see a stunning woman like Danai (Yale graduate, Broadway star, Tony award nominee, magazine cover girl, designer dress clad attendee at award shows and the hottest parties, major part of the cast of TWO of the biggest movies ever and rumoured star of her own Marvel movie) forced to make out with the scrawny, weasel-faced Andrew Lincoln, who has the flattest ass in the ZA.  And don't get me started on how much I feel for poor Khary.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Yup; Awful modified hers to have oversized full-hand hoops at the end rather than the “factory” finger rings, but other than that it’s the same thing.  

You can cut down moderately small trees with those little buggers, so I doubt the meat of a human neck is going to put up much resistance - especially when it’s being pulled full-force by a beefy psycho bitch with the worst southern accent this side of Kansas City.

Plus she can see the future - at least that is what Anderton thinks.

11 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I wouldn't expect much from RJ. The only sightings of him was a shot of him running to Michonne and this episode with him sleeping. The kid is a ghost so far.

I have a feeling that little RJ is going to be a McGuffin.  That child makes my spidey senses tingle.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

You know, I agree.  She was a great peripheral character, but as a lead she doesn’t work.  Danai really isn’t that good an actress, her delivery is stilted.  Contrast with that rascal Awful.  Stupid character, but the actress really sold it this episode.  I’m starting to dig her crusty, crazy ass.  

I think Michonne is beautiful.  But scowling doesn’t become her.  And she’s dull on her own. 

I'm mixed about my agreement here. In interviews, she's actually very charismatic and very comfortable speaking on camera, and if she'd been cast in the show as a less grim character than Michonne, pretty much by definition, has to be, her actual real-life mannerisms would have worked, but that personality is not what people want to see her do. Just like Jim Carey, for example, has tremendous range as an actor but people always just want him to be Ace Ventura, people just want Danai to play a tough, stoic warrior. Which she can do, if that's the script they hand her. But if the script they give her is just an allegedly tough, stoic warrior waving her arms around and bickering with Negan, then the character we're watching is neither Danai nor Michonne, nor whoever else Danai might eventually go on to play elsewhere when she inevitably tires of this awful show.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Well, if he's a ghost then Lori can watch him. That always went well.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

I'm mixed about my agreement here. In interviews, she's actually very charismatic and very comfortable speaking on camera, and if she'd been cast in the show as a less grim character than Michonne, pretty much by definition, has to be, her actual real-life mannerisms would have worked, but that personality is not what people want to see her do. Just like Jim Carey, for example, has tremendous range as an actor but people always just want him to be Ace Ventura, people just want Danai to play a tough, stoic warrior. Which she can do, if that's the script they hand her. But if the script they give her is just an allegedly tough, stoic warrior waving her arms around and bickering with Negan, then the character we're watching is neither Danai nor Michonne, nor whoever else Danai might eventually go on to play elsewhere when she inevitably tires of this awful show.

I have seen Danai in other roles (she had a career before TWD) and she's a VERY good actress.  Anyone who doubts her ability can see 'The Visitor' or 'Mother of George'.  I believe she won an award for her work in 'The Visitor'. I think Danai's fairly extensive resume is proof that she can do the work.  It's also important to take into account the difficulty a dark-skinned Black woman has to get work in the first place.  Talented actresses like Danai and Lupita are changing that.

One of the biggest problems with Michonne is that she's NOT Michonne.  The character was gutted to give Carol a reason to exist and the REAL Michonne was stuck being Mrs. Grimes.  That would make anybody 'scowl'; Lori never looked too happy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

That was some great standing there and waiting to get killed.

We see this all the time when some redshirt needs to go: Standing still, out in the open, arms at their sides and screaming while a zombie chews their face off.

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Okay, I've never used one of these tools, but I'm pretty sure it would take quite a bit of sawing to cut off a head, even of a dead person and even if the decapitator is a beefy psycho bitch. Awful(heh!) cleanly cuts off that head with one squeeze. And, BTW, it looks like that tool is covered in sharp teeth and Awful had it secreted in her PANTS??

Did I think I would ever be discussing the methods, means, and degree of difficulty of severing heads? No, I did not, but here we are. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I'm not understanding the Rosita thing. I thought she was pregnant by Siddiq but in love with Gabriel and Gabriel decided to stay in a relationship with her. Eugene also loves her. But, if she loves Gabriel and Gabriel loves her and Siddiq knows he's just the baby daddy and Eugene knows he doesn't stand a chance this really isn't a quadrangle or triangle or anything. It's just a relationship between two people with some baggage, right?

The whole thing feels unearned. Whatever relationship developed between Rosita and Gabriel happened offscreen during a time jump. Same with Rosita and Siddiq. 

I don't feel like Gabriel was ever a popular enough character for an audience to get invested in his relationships, and we barely know Siddiq. The only real history here is between Rosita and Eugene and it's hard to see them as anything other than friends.

The show is trying to beef up background and secondary characters now that Rick and Maggie are gone and I'm having a tough time caring about them because the writers never made much of an effort to flesh them out.

• Love 12
(edited)
21 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

And, BTW, it looks like that tool is covered in sharp teeth and Awful had it secreted in her PANTS?? 

Is it inappropriate to wonder if that was/is the only thing with sharp teeth in her pants?

(Sorry, the wording made me remember an old joke.....apologies if is inappropriate)

Edited by MDL
  • LOL 1

I grew to like Rosita, once she ditched the cartoon Daisy Duke outfit (another of wee Bobby's sweaty fantasies, I guess) and became someone who was realistic, pragmatic and capable. I understood why she hooked up with Abe - certainly no great love affair but it made sense -  but her taste in men now has me seriously disappointed in her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, gaPeach said:

The Whispers are a ridiculous enemy.  They wander all day long with zombies, wear smelly masks even in camp and eat worms.  Why would anyone follower this lady?  They have no guns and their weapons are crude.  It just doesn't compute.  Hilltop could have wiped them all out the first time they showed up at their gate. I love this show but my love is dying slowly with every episode.

And she talks....whispers too much too.  What is it with these long winded bad guys?

Whisperers!  As if more syllables make them less ridiculous.

The show really does like loquacious villains.  The Governor, Negan, the Claimers, Simon, even the Wolves if they sat down long enough.

• Love 3
On 3/5/2019 at 10:05 AM, gaPeach said:

What is it with these long winded bad guys?

What TPTB do not understand (along with human emotion,  physiology, biology, animal behavior, suspense, and adult relationships) is that the more a "bad guy" blabbers on and on, the less scary he is. Think Rutger Hauer in "The Hitcher". I found him terrifying, but imagine if he had trapped the kid and monologued at him for 20 minutes at a time throughout the film about why he was going to kill him, how he was going to do it, how clever he was for doing this, what an awesome bad guy he is and what a big dick he had. Wouldn't be scary anymore. He'd be boring, just as boring as Negan.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I grew to like Rosita, [snip] but her taste in men now has me seriously disappointed in her.

Siddiq is cute though! Look at these puppy eyes! image.png.2685acbfe69acbc6a74813156812f93d.png Might be a little crossed I guess...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

Siddiq is cute though! Look at these puppy eyes!

Yes, he's cute, but each to his own. That's what keeps things interesting. How boring the world would be if we all liked the same things. 😀 He's just not my type.

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I grew to like Rosita, once she ditched the cartoon Daisy Duke outfit (another of wee Bobby's sweaty fantasies, I guess) and became someone who was realistic, pragmatic and capable. I understood why she hooked up with Abe - certainly no great love affair but it made sense -  but her taste in men now has me seriously disappointed in her.

Father G and Siddiq give me hope that Rosita actually has taste in men.  Abe was a pragmatic choice but he's not the stuff that a young maiden's dreams are made of.  At least this young maiden.  Rosita and Siddiq are going to make a gorgeous baby and Father G will be a very handsome stepdaddy.  And then there's Eugene.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Colorado David said:

happy to see Ryan Hurst (Opie, on SOA) back on tv again. BUT need to see his face, he's good at emoting.

Wasn't he Chick on Bates Motel?

• Love 3

The most exciting element of this episode was keeping track of all of the misspelled words and inaccurate phrases on the closed captioning.  

This show exemplifies the expression "how the mighty have fallen."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 9:30 PM, AngelaHunter said:

From what little I've read and heard, I'm thinking Eugene may have Asperger's Syndrome, on the high-functioning end of the scale.

Asperger's is a form of high functioning autism, and it technically doesn't exist anymore, it's all autism to varying degrees.

There are very specific criteria that need to be met to be diagnosed with autism. Not all socially awkward, smart people have autism. They could just be socially awkward and smart. 

I know this is just a TV character. Just wanting to clarify. 🙂

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Not all socially awkward, smart people have autism.

No, I don't think all smart people who are socially awkward have autism. I was talking about Eugene only, not all people.  His behavior and interactions with others are made to seem so extremely odd I can't help thinking he might fall somewhere into that category. 

Edited by AngelaHunter
On 3/4/2019 at 11:40 AM, Boofish said:

*Church nod*

I get why Daryl is doing this - I really do but it's still stupid. He would die for Carol and I don't think he ever got past not being able to bring Sophia back to her. I don't want to him to have to tell her she lost another kid but they need to do a better job of making me root for Henry.

Not one to defend the ever increasing stupidity of this show. However, if the members of a community felt that the attitude was "some people we'll rescue, some we won't bother", there would be some very unhappy campers.

• Love 1

Well, I finally watched this seasons episodes (they were starting to add up on my PVR).

I have gone between being pleasantly surprised (yes...my expectations were THAT low...) to thinking, "oh, here we go again".

I guess the take away is that I am sad that this show, which was once must see TV that I would often re-watch , is now relegated to *I'll record it and watch it when I get around to it* status. --- and I don't really miss it.

I'll try to watch the new one tonight. Maybe if I join in with the live chat I'll enjoy it more?

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Part of Eugene’s ‘happiness’ chart

Kang says the show’s writers had a blast putting together something that would not even really be seen on camera. “They just thought that that was such a funny idea. It’s like the line items that people added to this chart, it’s so funny. And he assigns points to things that are pluses or minuses. It’s like, diapers gets negative points, but getting to spend time with Rosita gets plus points!”

Yes, Angela. It's SO FUNNY, just as you and the writers think it is. Splitting my sides here. JFC. 🙄