Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

How do I process that? My off the wall prediction of who Bill would try to possess was Toby Determined, I would have never guessed Blendin. Hell, I'd actually forgotten about him. For some reason Stan calling Mabel "pumpkin" set off alarm bells, like I knew it wouldn't end well between her and Dipper. He's called her "sweetie" before, but not "pumpkin."

I'll spoiler tag this just in case:

I'm so happy the next episode is only two weeks away! But a few people (on twitter, so maybe take it with a grain of salt) say it's going to be the last one.

• Love 1

How do I process that? My off the wall prediction of who Bill would try to possess was Toby Determined, I would have never guessed Blendin. Hell, I'd actually forgotten about him. For some reason Stan calling Mabel "pumpkin" set off alarm bells, like I knew it wouldn't end well between her and Dipper. He's called her "sweetie" before, but not "pumpkin."

I'll spoiler tag this just in case:

I'm so happy the next episode is only two weeks away! But a few people (on twitter, so maybe take it with a grain of salt) say it's going to be the last one.

I doubt it.  It's more likely going to be the first of a 3-episode arc that winds up the Bill Cypher story.  Then maybe we'll get one last episode that serves as an epilogue.

Good episode! I don't want the summer to end either!

I was a bit sad that while we finally saw Wendy it wasn't a whole lot. I miss Wendy working at the Shack (I assume she isn't anymore).

The Ford/Dipper stuff was great! I wish I had one of those magnet gun things, so cool!

Aw, so since we are at the end of the summer, does that mean we're at the end of the series? I thought Ford's offer to make Dipper his assistant was their way of extending the series past the summer (provided they found a way to keep Mabel in Gravity Falls too).

Well, I admit that Bill tricked me too. I really thought Blendin had his own agenda. But if we're at the end of the series, I guess it is time for the big showdown with Bill.

Of all the people I thought Bill might possess, Blendin never crossed my mind. Well done, Show.

And chalk up another fan theory made real. Anyone else starting to suspect that Alex Hirsch is a time-traveler, going into the future to collect theories and then into the past to make them true?

Some brilliant fans worked out that all the signs inside the UFO are written in Bill's cipher. Most of them are directional signs (to the probability drive engine, the probeatorium, and Blerg, Bloth, and Beyond [used thatens half price]), but the brown graffiti scrawled over it says "SPECIMEN HAS ESCAPED IS CHANGING FORMS"

• Love 1

Awesome episode! Poor Mabel, she just wanted summer to last just a little longer. the moment Blendin showed up I knew it was Bill. Somehow I don't see Dipper's parents letting him skip all of high school to be Ford's apprentice.

Grunkle Stan and Mabel continue to be my favorite relationship on this show. It's just so sweet.

The Ford/Dipper stuff was exciting. While Ford has a zillion phd's, he continues to be super dumb when it comes to relationships.

• Love 2

In short: HOLY SHIT.

Characters have died, turned to stone, and/or got weird. How the hell are they gonna get out of this one? I'm hoping Blendin plays a part, you don't leave a time traveler alive and NOT have him return to do something to save the day.

• Love 3

Holy crap that was dark. Excepting of course the Mad Max chase through the weirdness bubbles (Loved seeing Ritter and Cardellini) with Gideon and Gideon's hero turn.

Bill is one of the best villains ever. Not kids' show villain, best villain period. And where the hell's Stan?

• Love 5

Codes at the end:

At the end of the credits (already decoded):

IT WILL TAKE 1,000 YEARS
FOR TIME BABY'S MOLECULES TO RECONSTITUTE.
AND WHEN HE'S BACK,
HE'S GOING TO BE VERY CRANKY.

Journal Page post-credits:

"GAME IS OVER, AND I WON
NOW IT'S TIME TO START THE FUN
I ALWAYS LOVE CORRUPTING LIVES
NOW LET'S SEE WHICH PINES SURVIVES"

ETA: Anyone else notice the kid & monkey from Speed Racer hiding in the backseat for Anime!Dipper & Wendy?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Oh my god.

I totally put my kids to bed at 7:30 and watched this one solo, and I'm so glad I did, as I'm pretty sure they both will have nightmares from this one. (They're 4 and almost 8.)

Bill truly is horrifying. He's like what I imagined The Master would have been like had he been able to truly rise in Season One of Buffy.

• Love 2

I liked this one a lot but it reminds me that we're nearly coming to the end. How will we live without our Pines twins!

I loved that we got to see a lot more Wendy finally and hopefully Soos will get more time in the next episode.

And like AimingforYoko said, where the hell is Stan? I can't imagine he's just hiding somewhere hoping for it to pass over when he knows Dipper and Mabel are out in it all.

• Love 1

Wow!  Bill is playing for keeps.  I actually thought that Time Baby had a real chance against Bill... until he got vaporized in seconds.  I did enjoy the Mad Max chase, and Gideon's hero turn. 

I was a bit confused about Bill capturing Mabel in a sphere with the star on it.  I thought he might start collecting all of the symbols from the circle.  But then he turned Ford to stone and burned all of the journals. 

I have no idea what to expect from any of this.  The Bill takeover is insane, dark, and completely unpredictable. 

• Love 1

This was an amazing episode!

Wendy was awesome, I am now worried for lil gideon (he is only 9ish or something like that), the journals are destroyed! Good thing Grunkle Stan made some copies! Although, I enjoy seeing Dipper and the gang trying to figure things out without the help of the journals.

Wasn't expecting to see Ford out of commission so soon.

For Mabel!

I love how dark this show is for kid's show. Reminds me of the days of old, when tv shows could get away with it.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

This was a completely awesome episode! I like that this show goes dark - I think by and large, kids can  handle more than we give them credit for (and this show is really aimed at older kids/preteens) and this is really kind of a sign of respect. But what happened to Pacifica's dad was creepy even to me.

I really don't know what to say other than "This was awesome!" Wendy and Soos were awesome. I loved the Mad Max car chase. Bill is genuinely scary. Loved Bill taking over the opening credits. And I enjoyed the Louis C.K. monster. It just makes me sad that we coming to the end, but they are definitely going out with a bang.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 4

I was amazed at how dark it was: people getting transmogrified, Bill killing the time baby, and general end-of-the-world-is-upon-us destruction by hideous monsters.  Sometimes when I watch Disney channel shows, I think about how my niblings would react if we were watching them together. I think this episode would have genuinely scared the younger ones. Heck, it scared me.

Is part 2 just the season finale or the series finale?  I thought it was just the season ender. 

Likely neither.  Figure we're getting 20 or possibly 21 episodes this season so there will be a part 3 at least.  It's my belief that we'll get part 2 and then a one hour series finale for episode 20.

Maybe it's just me ( granted I am  way too old for this show) but me  and my neices liked it a lot better when it was fun and silly with merman, halloween candy monsters and video game characters coming to life than This "apocalypse" storyline that is way too long and tedious.

I like this storyline but I think season 1 was much better. It was more fun learning about the smaller mysteries of Gravity Falls rather than crazy Bill being crazy.

It might also be that this season has been drawn out sooooo long. I've never seen a season of a show that has gone for more than 12 months and it's pretty frustrating. It should have been finished 6+ months ago. I guess that is Disney for you.

It might also be that this season has been drawn out sooooo long. I've never seen a season of a show that has gone for more than 12 months and it's pretty frustrating. It should have been finished 6+ months ago. I guess that is Disney for you

I don't think it is Disney.  From what I can tell it is Alex Hirsh taking so long to make each episode.

I too miss the fun.  This year seems to be a lot of scary but less fun 

(couldn't think of a better subtitle, so shoot your suggestions!)

Ah, Wendy. Dipper crushes on her so bad, and she tends to goof around more than actually work in the Mystery Shack. Yet somehow I feel she's the least developed of the regular characters. I don't think there's really been a story in the first season that focused on her, so I hope the second season can amend that.

I've had a crush on Linda Cardellini since Freaks and Geeks, so finding out she was on Gravity Falls was a very pleasant surprise.

She's gotten a lot more development, especially in the latter half of the season as she's become more like a tough, protective big sister to Dipper and Mabel.

One of the more interesting bits about Dipper's crush on Wendy is the way it was a mild tragedy of circumstances.  The two get along together very well but that not quite three year age gap between makes anything romantic between them impossible from Wendy's (and pretty every one else's) point of view.  If Dipper had three years older there probably would have been a romantic relationship.  If Wendy had been three years younger, there would have likely been a "puppy love" thing.  If Wendy was a year younger and Dipper a year old something would have happened too.  Meanwhile if Dipper had been younger and/or Wendy had been older there probably wouldn't have been problem.  The worst thing for Dipper was that Wendy was close enough to his age to give him hope but far enough away to make that hope a false one.

Somehow the short version of the Weirdmageddon intro is even freakier.

And I called it: Mabel's prison was her perfect summer. It was super creepy but awesome. Anyone else spot the Smile Dip Dog?

I love the unreveal of Soos' dad. Body of a pro wrestler and the face on a hot sauce bottle.

Yes that was Jon Stewart as a kitten judge. And it was amazing.

WHOA!

Sincere sibling hug had me a bit misty-eyed. I'm happy we finally saw what happened to Waddles. Spotted fantasy Wendy a mile away. And it's nice to see that Stan, Grenda, Candy, Pacifica, Blubs, a Man-otaur, the dude who married a woodpecker, some gnomes, and that stupid unicorn (Celestebethabelleabeth or whatever) were all holed up in the shack. What's surprising is that McGucket is there with them, I thought he got out of town with his raccoon wife.

"Shining, shimmering, splendid" I see you Alex Hirsch!

The worst part is that Weirdmageddon 3 won't come out until after the new year; there's no point in letting it get lost in all of the holiday specials shuffle.

I'm going to miss this show so very much.

• Love 2

Dammit Gravity Falls, why do you have to go?

That closing argument by Dipper was one of the best moments on the show.

Other great moments:

"Don't you do it, Soos." "Sorry dude, but I can't leave him hangin'." [High fives Dippy Fresh]"You're dead to me, Soos."

"Hand me a microphone, Xyler." [Mic Drop]

Pug Sundaes!

And finally, Grunkle Stan is back!

• Love 1

I also figured that Mabel's prison would be created so that she would want to stay in it.  But then giving both her and the others the ability to wish for whatever they want.  That's impressive.  Wendy's was funny.  But Soos getting to play catch with his version of his dad... that was mean.  And I KNEW that Dipper would get Fantasy!Wendy, which was cruel. 

I am surprised at how many refugees are hiding back at the Mystery Shack.  I figured on Stan, Grenda, and a few townsfolk that we did not see until then.  But Manotaur, Multi-bear, the unicorn, and McGuckett were surprises. 

Also, what or who is keeping Bill trapped in Gravity Falls?  Was it something that Ford did?  Or the aliens?  Or even the lumberjack ghost? 

I hope this show gets a spinoff or something.  There's just so many great things about this show that I'd hate to lose all of the characters and places.

• Love 3

Dippy Fresh looked like Kid Vid from the old Burger King Kid's Club.

Also, the code at the end of the credits translated to "CRAZ AND XYLER WENT ON TO RUN THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT AT A MAJOR CHILDREN'S TELEVISION NETWORK."

The journal page at the end translated to "WHEN ONE GETS TRAPPED INSIDE THE PAST DREAMS CAN TURN TO NIGHTMARES FAST"

Only 1 more episode to go, how can it be?

And we really think next episode won't be til Jan? Can Disney be so cruel? ( we all know they can)

I liked the episode, I really wished there had been less Mabel dream world and more real world though. There is so much more to see I don't want to waste it on 'filler'.

I think Dipper is past Wendy at this point for the most part.  She'll always be his first big crush and who knows what might happen if they meet again ten years later or so.  That said, at this point Dipper has accepted that he isn't going to have a romantic relationship with Wendy right now.  For that matter I don't see him suddenly starting a new romance with Pacifica.  I think he'll end on a friendly note with Pacifica and she'll be resolved to use her family's wealth for good purposes, but I don't see the show "giving" Pacifica to Dipper like she's a consolation prize.

• Love 1

Mabelland's plan for ensnaring Dipper was doomed even if he'd been genuinely lured by the false Wendy. It hinged on granting him his desire to be older than he is, and since the whole place is built on Mabel's fear of growing up she never would have allowed him to age.

Not even gonna pretend I didn't get all misty eyed when Dipper was showing how the two of them have looked out for each other over the years.

Mabelland's plan for ensnaring Dipper was doomed even if he'd been genuinely lured by the false Wendy. It hinged on granting him his desire to be older than he is, and since the whole place is built on Mabel's fear of growing up she never would have allowed him to age.

Not even gonna pretend I didn't get all misty eyed when Dipper was showing how the two of them have looked out for each other over the years.

I think you underestimate Mabeland.  It wouldn't need to be the real Mabel who granted the wish.  Figure Mabeland would be fully capable of subdividing into Dipperland, Wendyland and Soosland.  The place would give each of them false realities (each with false version of each other, like false Wendy)  that shifted to much their desires and isolated them from each other for as long as Bill desired.

• Love 1

Finally getting to see these. Stupid malfunctioning season pass.

Loved the weirdness bubbles! Has anyone seen the animated Christmas episode of Eureka? They did something similar, cycling through iconic styles. Using live action Ritter and Cardellini was a fantastic idea.