Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: A Dark Closet and Therapy with Horses

paulvdb

Adam over indulges sometimes, but lately I'm not sure I would even classify him as a heavy drinker, let alone someone who abuses alcohol.  And I've never seen any indication he's addicted to it.  So, no, I would definitely not classify Adam as an alcoholic. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, BrianGriffin17 said:

And what happened to Roscoe? Her young son. All Baxter? Seems ever since Season 4 they have shifted the focus to the Recovery Group. I understand it. 

Roscoe is living with Candace and Baxter. I agree, it would be nice if they mentioned him from time to time. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Dani said:

It is possible to have a drinking problem but not be an alcoholic. A large number of people go through periods where they are problem drinkers but never develop a true addiction. I would say Adam falls into that group.

I initially thought they were going the route of making him an alcoholic but they have backed off from that significantly. He actually seems to be drinking less since he opened the bar. 

If Adam were a real person instead of a pawn for the writers, I would think that he was drinking because he was bored, and now that he has a business he is busy and happier.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

If Adam were a real person instead of a pawn for the writers, I would think that he was drinking because he was bored, and now that he has a business he is busy and happier.

In the episode where he bought the bar, he told Bonnie that he'd felt lost and without purpose since his accident.  Running his own bar was intended to be his solution to that.  Other than the occasional consulting or stunt coordinator jobs he's mentioned, he's had a whole lot of time with little to do but sit around, drink, and watch TV.  We haven't seen scenes of him putting away a six pack since he bought the bar.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

In the episode where he bought the bar, he told Bonnie that he'd felt lost and without purpose since his accident.  Running his own bar was intended to be his solution to that.  Other than the occasional consulting or stunt coordinator jobs he's mentioned, he's had a whole lot of time with little to do but sit around, drink, and watch TV.  We haven't seen scenes of him putting away a six pack since he bought the bar.

Right, this isn't where a person who was a moderate drinker and then went off the deep end due to horrible circumstances or depression. This is more of a guy who has been bored and just happened to enjoy one or two while watching a game or something. He isn't getting up at 7 am, putting whisky in his morning coffee and then enjoying several cold ones every hour or so during the day. 

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, Blakeston said:

And in the weeks that she'd worked there, she was never even tempted to drink!

That was extremely difficult for me to believe.

Maybe because the gambling addiction has taken the place of the urge to drink?  Replacing one addiction with another?  Kind of like her smoking.  Just a thought.

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, eel2178 said:

Wendy and Marjorie are my favorites. I was disappointed that we only got one scene with them last night. I'd also like to see Regina hit another rock bottom and realize she really is an alcoholic and rejoin the group again.

I'm fine with Regina's story ending where it did.  AA isn't the answer for everyone.  I did miss Wendy and Marjorie, though.  They are always the best part of the show.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, kariyaki said:

Isn't the show set in the San Francisco area? Aren't there thousands of college students who'd love part time work?

Adam would probably have to pay them, or someone hired from a temp agency, with more than just tips, though.  The bar's doing better, but I can't see him shelling out a lot of money on employees just yet.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I've noticed that addiction issues became "issues" only when the story calls for it. Bonnie has no problem dating a man who drinks and gets high in front of her while trying to remain sober, even though I would imagine trying to reduce temptation would be one of the tools an addict would use.

From what I understand about it, learning to live in the real world with the temptations is also part of the program.  (I'm not in AA or anything like it, but that is part of the idea with things like Weight Watchers.)

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, bad things are bad said:

Count me among those who was happy to see Rainn Wilson, particularly not being too Dwight-y

I didn't even realize that was him.  He looked so different.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm fine with Regina's story ending where it did.  AA isn't the answer for everyone. 

I agree it is refreshing to have a character who is able to survive without AA. However, I miss Regina. She was fun.

• Love 6
On 3/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, kariyaki said:

Isn't the show set in the San Francisco area? Aren't there thousands of college students who'd love part time work?

San Francisco is a good 50 miles from Napa Valley, where the show is set.  Assuming most bars close well after midnight, there would be the problem of having to drive home in near pitch-black darkness on two-lane highways.  (Been there, done that.)  Napa ain't no LA when it comes to accessibility.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, proserpina65 said:

Maybe because the gambling addiction has taken the place of the urge to drink?  Replacing one addiction with another?  Kind of like her smoking.  Just a thought.

That interpretation seems to be the consensus here.

Personally, the recovering alcoholics I know are the kind of people who throw themselves into all sorts of habits that don't involve mind-altering substances (ie sex, cigarettes, exercise, you name it).

They still feel tempted to drink on a regular basis, though, even though they have other vices they enjoy indulging in.

But they may not be representative of alcoholics as a larger group.

• Love 1

My daughter is an alcoholic and she doesn't have a problem with being with her friends or boyfriend when they drink. She did develope other vices such as going to the gym everyday. But over time she seems to be leveling out. 

OT watching older episodes I really miss Chef Rudy

• Love 1