Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E16: Blood and Water

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I want her to be a Shepherd kid. We're supposed to see the 4th sister this year. They could make it work.

I can see it!-Momma Shepard was pregnant when her husband died so tragically. She couldn’t raise another child and gave it up for adoption...

• Love 3
(edited)

Papa DeLuca's English seems just fine to me...what did he need help with? He even seems to have a less strong accent than his daughter...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5
On 3/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, statsgirl said:

It will be interesting to see if the writers think that this is enough for him.

In other things unbelievable, the teenage boy had 3 months of chemotherapy and his mother didn't notice?

This show does mental illness terribly but Deluca saying "She thinks he has bipolar" is awful. He is bipolar, or better he has BPAD.

It's nice to see J.P. Manoux back on screen as the panicking dad.

It occurs to me that it’s a pity that DeLuca and Alex could never be friends—the parent with a severe mental illness and coping strategies could be a bonding point. I hope that the weird pop up of Helen Karev isn’t just to jumpstart the “Jo finds her parents” plot line. She should interact withOapa DeLuca while they are both in town and hanging around Grey Sloan. 

• Love 3
On 3/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, statsgirl said:

Also Deluca Sr. has to get his research approved by the hospital ethics committee before he does anything. That's another level of oversight.

But this is Grey's.

Yeah, where the chief of surgery holds all the purse strings and controls every aspect of the running of the hospital, apparently.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Papa DeLuca's English seems just fine to me...what did he need help with? He even seems to have a less strong accent than his daughter...

Yeah, that drove me nuts. I have no problem with one kid lived with one parent and the other lived with another. I have friends who grew up that way. Though they lived in the same or neighboring town. Not most of their time in another country. HOWEVER... we have that problem with the fact that Deluca is coming off that he knows better and makes the sister look like an idiot. Because 1. She knew the man her father was, yet decided to trying to be the "parent" 2. Shows their mother truly didn't try hard enough to get him help and since "he had money" of course he got away with all his crap for years. Same with Jo's ex despite the fact most people knew he was an asshole but as Linc said a while back: "time when you don't ask and don't tell." 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

What if Jo is a long lost Shepherd kid or, even better, a long lost Thatcher Grey kid? Surely Meredith needs another sister.

OH! What if she's Alex's sister? What if mom had a fling and gave her up for adoption? Too much?

Yeah, she'll be related to somebody in the hospital world, for real. 

1 hour ago, readster said:

Yeah, that drove me nuts. I have no problem with one kid lived with one parent and the other lived with another. I have friends who grew up that way. Though they lived in the same or neighboring town. Not most of their time in another country. HOWEVER... we have that problem with the fact that Deluca is coming off that he knows better and makes the sister look like an idiot. Because 1. She knew the man her father was, yet decided to trying to be the "parent" 2. Shows their mother truly didn't try hard enough to get him help and since "he had money" of course he got away with all his crap for years. Same with Jo's ex despite the fact most people knew he was an asshole but as Linc said a while back: "time when you don't ask and don't tell." 

Yeah, I'll just say as someone who's lived with a bipolar someone for over 30 years--he doesn't want help when he's feeling "good," only when he hits bottom and wants to die. And then he makes the climb back up...and feels good again! Doesn't need meds! I wish it were easier but the U.S. health care system isn't a lot of help either. Unless he hurts himself or someone else. So who knows what goes on in Italy? (Hey! My someone is Italian! Hmm.)

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Evie said:

Amelia and Owen should be over for good, but I've thought they passed the point of no return numerous times before, and yet the show kept putting them back together. I'm actually liking Amelia more lately, so I hope she's free from Owen for a while. 

Owen has done it! I care about Amelia now. Between him and Tom's kind-of seal of approval, I like Amelia. So much so that I don't want her to leave the show. (Not that she will.) But sometimes I fantasize she'll go to Europe and join forces with Christina Eve to hunt down Villanelle.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, WendyM said:

Yeah, I'll just say as someone who's lived with a bipolar someone for over 30 years--he doesn't want help when he's feeling "good," only when he hits bottom and wants to die. And then he makes the climb back up...and feels good again! Doesn't need meds!

It's very hard to be someone who has a mental disorder, but it's also hard to be someone who lives with him or her. With bipolar affective disorder as @WendyM said, they can be high and feeling so good that they can do anything! and doesn't need meds or so low that everything is wrong. Add to that the fat that the meds to keep them steady often lead to a lower quality of life, prompting people to go off their meds so they can feel something again. The person living with them* has to balance treating them like an adult and able to make their own decisions and always watching to see if they are starting another cycle.

Andrew's attitude towards his father shows his extreme youth. (It kind of reminds me of Meredith  in the early seasons when she was still trying to work out her relationship with her mother.) I don't blame Mama Deluca for leaving -- it must have been difficult to live with Papa and she has her own life to live. But to leave Carina behind as his caretaker; that's something no teenager should have had to do even if she volunteered for it.

*English really needs gender neutral pronouns.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

I'm over Amelia and Owen, and has started to like her since the "it was the tumor" so she really isn't this crazy. As much as I like the actor, Owen is not good for any woman. I would totally be into the scenes with HAOG and glasses, but so much effort was put into one being and idiot, and one being a paper cut-out, I just can't get interested.

Does anyone know if the Jo actress is actually pregnant, and that is why they are making a point of it. To me she was definitely looking pregnant, and the usual camera shots to hide it.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, nokat said:

Does anyone know if the Jo actress is actually pregnant, and that is why they are making a point of it. To me she was definitely looking pregnant, and the usual camera shots to hide it.

I wondered at the beginning of the episode because they had her wearing some voluminous thing, but at the end, they showed her in her fitted scrubs full length and she did not look pregnant at all.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, izabella said:

I wondered at the beginning of the episode because they had her wearing some voluminous thing, but at the end, they showed her in her fitted scrubs full length and she did not look pregnant at all.

I wondered, too.  When her and Alex were walking down the hall in the hospital she really looked like it and they only showed her upper half.  

• Love 1

Broadcasting Linc and Amelia, a mile away.

It hadn't occurred to me that Jo might be a Shepherd kid. It wouldn't surprise me if they took it there - considering Maggie just letting it out, that Ellis was her mother, and Richard is her father, that could be a lead-in to another big surprise.