Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Boy Who Still Has a Lot of Good to Do

• Start Topic

When a spontaneous road trip to visit MG's parents leaves him and Landon missing, and a distressed Rafael with no memory of what happened, Hope, Alaric, and Kaleb set out to find them before it's too late.

Directed by Paul Wesley

Promo:

Original air date: 3/7/19

Seeing as I knew Landon had to meet his dad this season I figured he wasn't going to die or stay dead.. That said a really good episode... I do love Landon and Raf's brotherly bond it rings true.. They really never want to leave each other... But yeah MG was spot on.. Landon caused this whole mess.. He wouldn't listen to RAF and just kept pushing MG... Even pushed RAF into spilling his  guts.. But because he loves him.. Tho that would still piss me off... Don't have much to say abt the reveal.. When they explain more I guess I'll chime in... Kaleb continues to shine.. Poor  poor M.G and lol at Penelope giving them the cloaking spell in her way out the door

• Love 7

The show does a good job of giving each character their moment at some point during a season. While certain characters are certainly the main ones, it doesn't mean the supporting characters are doing nothing.

I appreciate the struggles that the vampires are experiencing. This was an excellent episode.

• Love 4

I'm not a fan of Landon/Hope, but I will say that Danielle is selling Hope's love for Landon fairly well. I really loved Danielle throughout the entire episode. 

I do feel bad for Rafael. Landon DID push a lot this episode and caused this whole mess to happen, but he really was trying to do the right thing. Landon/Rafael's brotherly bond works fairly well. 

Poor MG; his father didn't know he was a vampire and he found out how he really felt about him. It does suck and I feel bad for him. 

I'm glad that this season has given each character their moment to shine. Not a lot of shows actually use their ensemble. 

I was so skeptical of this show before, but it's really impressed me. 

Landon is a phoenix? I definitely didn't see that coming, but I liked the reveal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not a fan of Landon/Hope, but I will say that Danielle is selling Hope's love for Landon fairly well. I really loved Danielle throughout the entire episode. 

I do feel bad for Rafael. Landon DID push a lot this episode and caused this whole mess to happen, but he really was trying to do the right thing. Landon/Rafael's brotherly bond works fairly well. 

For me it's not even  really about  not being a fan.. Its more like I don't get why they're together.. Danielle sells the hell outta really caring for Landon... But their actual scenes together have mainly consisted of lots of pining and some awkward self-depricating humor.. And because the show telegraphed them getting together.. Its just all felt like a done  deal no matter how hope or Landon played off anyone else... Kinda similar to when Mon-el showed up on Supergirl and you knew he and Kara were gonna get together even though it really didn't make sense based off of what we had seen of her up till then and who he first appeared to be.... 

• Love 5

I called it on Landon being a phoenix. Not before the episode but while they were all in the woods when we found out what MG had done. At that point I thought "Oh, they've killed him off; I wonder if he'll be a phoenix and come back?", as we never had discovered what his power was but we had learnt early on that he seemed to be something supernatural.

Arguably Landon pushing MG to meet and re-connect with his father was not so much Landon (who of course isn't in contact with his own father) really trying to do the right thing as him trying to live vicariously through MG.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cool episode. Landon being  phoenix was something I didn't see coming. Felt bad for MG but was glad Kaleb let him know that he was his family. As far as the triangle I want Raf out of that immediately because I don't want to see him sacrificed at the alter of Landon and Hope and be made out to be the bad guy. And this being a CW show if a brotha is in a love triangle I don't expect things to work out too well for him.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 1

For half a second, I thought damn, they're really going to kill Landon halfway through the first season? Then I remembered this is TVD-land where no one ever truly stays dead so I figured this was how they would reveal his supernatural power. Maybe he and Julia on the Magicians can hang out together now.

I had to laugh at Alaric's initial reaction because you know shit is about to get weird when someone who has been hunting/fighting supernatural creatures for half his life says, "I've never seen anything like this before."

Heh, and I guess it's a good thing that this is Landon's superpower since all the tests Hope administered earlier showed that he doesn't have superspeed, superstrength, or basically anything that will help him in a fight.

What I liked was all the stuff that led up to the phoenix reveal: MG finding out that his dad didn't know he was a vampire and then compelling him to forget that he'd seen him, Landon refusing to leave Raf when they thought a monster was coming, Kaleb admitting that his "vampires are the best" attitude at school is covering up the fact that it's hard even for him to deal with everything that being a vampire entails.

Landon pushing MG to go see his family reminded me of every tv show where someone is estranged from a parent or family member and everyone insists that they need to reconcile before the other person dies/invite them to their wedding aka there's a lot of projecting and assumptions that are probably not applicable to the person who you are trying to guilt trip.

• Love 7

I will say that, although this is a good power for Landon since he cannot really die, it's going to be annoying if he does die again and has to wait a whole day for his power to kick in. 

Though I'm glad they didn't have the cliche "group goes to find Landon's body but it's gone. Cue last scene to him wandering around in the woods alone and wondering how he's alive." The transformation scene WAS cool to witness onscreen. 

Kudos to Paul Wesley for directing this episode.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I will say that, although this is a good power for Landon since he cannot really die, it's going to be annoying if he does die again and has to wait a whole day for his power to kick in. 

Though I'm glad they didn't have the cliche "group goes to find Landon's body but it's gone. Cue last scene to him wandering around in the woods alone and wondering how he's alive." The transformation scene WAS cool to witness onscreen. 

Kudos to Paul Wesley for directing this episode.

Won't lie I was expecting something along those lines.. Or cut to see the triad guy with Landon somewhere... So to see him rise from the ashes was cool... Maybe this isn't the first time either... Maybe he "died" on the bus as well in the fire.. Or maybe started the fire I dunno... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
Just now, UNOSEZ said:

Won't lie I was expecting something along those lines.. Or cut to see the triad guy with Landon somewhere... So to see him rise from the ashes was cool... Maybe this isn't the first time either... Maybe he "died" on the bus as well in the fire.. Or maybe started the fire I dunno... 

Well, we know the Dragon Lady was actually the one to burn everyone on the bus. As for him dying on that bus, I don't know if he did, although he very well could have. Although, if he did die in that bus fire, he would have had to resurrect awfully quickly. 

That's why I tend to lean toward this being his first time dying. Maybe he also died once before as a kid, but I don't think he died on this show yet. Maybe the more times he dies, the faster his resurrection is as well. I don't think that the next time we see him die, they'll wait 24 hours for him to be resurrected. 

I am interested in seeing what else Landon can do. He can't be compelled and he comes back from the dead. Can he produce fire? Can he heal other people? I am very curious now. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think that the next time we see him die, they'll wait 24 hours for him to be resurrected. 

My read is that his resurrection isn’t tied to duration, but conditions. Specifically the Phoenix rises from the ashes at the dawn of a new day (hence him being backlit by the rising sun right after).

What is very fortunate for Landon is that apparently it also resurrected his clothing along with him even though it all caught on fire. I was fully expecting him to come out buck naked and for Alaric to do a whole hand over Hope’s eyes gag when Landon stood up not realizing his clothes were gone.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Maybe he "died" on the bus as well in the fire..

There's this show, some might know called

Spoiler

Misfits

that actually plays out the same way. A group of kids suddenly get superpowers ---- all except one ---- apparently. His super-power was immortality but because of the nature of the power, he doesn't realise it until way into the show when someone kills him, and he wakes up, literally in his coffin. 

But what's interesting is that there was an AU episode where a maniac killed all the kids --- except Immortality Guy. Who just thinks he freakishly survived an axe in his head, and he still doesn't realise that he was actually dead.  And this plays out brilliantly because the AU episode happens before the Reveal so that was a big Rewatch value.

Which is my long way of saying that I totally think that Landon died in the body and resurrected without ever realising what happened to him.

50 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

What is very fortunate for Landon is that apparently it also resurrected his clothing along with him even though it all caught on fire. I was fully expecting him to come out buck naked and for Alaric to do a whole hand over Hope’s eyes gag when Landon stood up not realizing his clothes were gone.

Like the Hulk, Landon got to keep his pants. Tyler Lockwood is rolling in his grave somewhere. 

I wonder if Legacies has forgotten that the twins can siphon out werewolf bites? Hope's blood curing wolf bites sounds pretty random. She's not exactly the same kind of creature as Klaus, the original wolf-bite-curer. And Klaus was a vampire (i.e. he had died and transitioned unlike whatever Hope is) whose blood could cure wolf bites before he unlocked his hybrid side. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 2

Tyler absolutely got a raw deal. Not only did Landon get to keep his pants, shoes and shirt, but Raf was found fully clothed after transforming into a wolf and shifting back in a fugue state.

Hope needs to learn that power. To date she’s the only werewolf on the show to have been shown needing to grab someone else’s jacket because she shifted back without any clothes on.

Also nice in the episode was Hope referencing her mother’s side of the family for a change. I know the Mikaelsons are a big deal supernaturally, but the Crescent Moon Pack as the only werewolves with voluntary shapeshifting and descendants of the witch who created the werewolf curse in the first place is nothing to sneeze at either. The fact that Hope appears to be the only werewolf in the school with voluntary shapeshifting and also has the ability to heal werewolf bites (in case a bite happens despite their precautions) establishes yet another reason why she basically gets free run of the Salvatore School (along with the massive funding from the Mikaelson estate putting them on the map).

Someone up thread mentioned siphoners being able to siphon werewolf toxin, but I suspect the reason they explicitly used Hope for the cure was precisely to showcase that, even though MG had killed someone she cared about and had opened up to, she still willingly saved MG’s life. That’s a good character moment making a distinction between Hope and her father since I’m pretty sure Klaus would have never been so forgiving in the same situation.

It also firmly establishes Hope as having the ability to heal werewolf bites which is handy since the twins seem to only be in about half the episodes while Hope is clearly in the “must appear in every episode” category. Who knows when the writers will want to inject some drama with a werewolf bite, but need to write around the twins’ absence.

Actually, other than Alaric and Hope I don’t think anyone is an “every episode” cast member. Someone’s going to need to do a count at the end of the season for the various members. If I were to guess I’d bet most everyone else is at 13 episodes a season which makes the juggling interesting (I’m still hoping for a Caroline appearance at some point too).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

Actually, other than Alaric and Hope I don’t think anyone is an “every episode” cast member. Someone’s going to need to do a count at the end of the season for the various members. If I were to guess I’d bet most everyone else is at 13 episodes a season which makes the juggling interesting (I’m still hoping for a Caroline appearance at some point too).

That's funny because the people I thought would be the main characters are not in a lot of episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

That's funny because the people I thought would be the main characters are not in a lot of episodes.

It's part of the reason why the show's so disjointed. There are emotional arcs that are not followed through e.g. the twins have that big episode with Jo and disappear for 3 episodes, winter break included. They come back and no mention of meeting their dead bio-mom. Raf/Josie was a big thing in the first few episodes but that relationship has disappeared overnight. Even the callback to MG's crush on Lizzie seems like that - a callback because I can't remember the last time it was a thing. 

Oddly enough, the only non-Hope and non-Alaric character who's consistently developed, and we "touch  base" with regularly is Kaleb. Which I think is not deliberate but a happy coincidence of him being repeatedly called on to support the bigger characters.

Edited by ursula
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, ursula said:

There's this show, some might know called

Reveal spoiler

Misfits

that actually plays out the same way. A group of kids suddenly get superpowers ---- all except one ---- apparently. His super-power was immortality but because of the nature of the power, he doesn't realise it until way into the show when someone kills him, and he wakes up, literally in his coffin. 

But what's interesting is that there was an AU episode where a maniac killed all the kids --- except Immortality Guy. Who just thinks he freakishly survived an axe in his head, and he still doesn't realise that he was actually dead.  And this plays out brilliantly because the AU episode happens before the Reveal so that was a big Rewatch value.

Which is my long way of saying that I totally think that Landon died in the body and resurrected without ever realising what happened to him.

Like the Hulk, Landon got to keep his pants. Tyler Lockwood is rolling in his grave somewhere. 

I wonder if Legacies has forgotten that the twins can siphon out werewolf bites? Hope's blood curing wolf bites sounds pretty random. She's not exactly the same kind of creature as Klaus, the original wolf-bite-curer. And Klaus was a vampire (i.e. he had died and transitioned unlike whatever Hope is) whose blood could cure wolf bites before he unlocked his hybrid side. 

First of all, I loved that oddball superhero show you spoiler tagged.

However, has it been shown the twins can siphon the "magical" effects of werewolf toxin? I would think that a siphon would revert a vampire back to their just about to die state, because we saw that a few times on TVD, including Alaric being de-Originaled and Jo saving him from the chest wound that originally turned him.

1 hour ago, ketose said:

First of all, I loved that oddball superhero show you spoiler tagged.

However, has it been shown the twins can siphon the "magical" effects of werewolf toxin? I would think that a siphon would revert a vampire back to their just about to die state, because we saw that a few times on TVD, including Alaric being de-Originaled and Jo saving him from the chest wound that originally turned him.

I love it too! Slightly OT but whatever happened to the remake? I think I joined this site just to talk about it.

It was shown, indirectly in 

Spoiler

The Vampire Diaries with Kai. He was already in the hallucination/shakes stage of the werewolf toxin when he realized that he could siphon it out and he heals himself. 

What you're describing sounds like what would happen if a siphon tried to siphon out the "vampirism" in general, for lack of a better description, from a vampire. But in this case, the siphoning is "targeted" so to speak, at the wolf bite alone.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

The first thing I thought "his clothes came back too?"

8 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

Hope needs to learn that power. To date she’s the only werewolf on the show to have been shown needing to grab someone else’s jacket because she shifted back without any clothes on.

Of course the girl is going to be totally naked, heaven forbid boys ever are.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, ursula said:

It's part of the reason why the show's so disjointed. There are emotional arcs that are not followed through e.g. the twins have that big episode with Jo and disappear for 3 episodes, winter break included. They come back and no mention of meeting their dead bio-mom.

Well they aren't being followed through with immediately (the perils of serialized TV) but I'll give them credit for at least explaining why.

Lizzie and Josie went out with their mom immediately after that incident. I took that as their parents way of helping them through it.

Raf/Josie was a big thing in the first few episodes but that relationship has disappeared overnight.

Josie's relationship with Rafael didn't disappear. Josie destroyed that relationship all by herself.

Even the callback to MG's crush on Lizzie seems like that - a callback because I can't remember the last time it was a thing. 

Didn't he promise Penelope to drop that? 

Oddly enough, the only non-Hope and non-Alaric character who's consistently developed, and we "touch  base" with regularly is Kaleb. Which I think is not deliberate but a happy coincidence of him being repeatedly called on to support the bigger characters.

I do agree wholeheartedly about Kaleb. They're doing amazing things with that character. I actually like him now, as I wasn't very fond of his whole attacking girls to get blood thing.  I wonder if someone told Julie Plec she needs a little more diversity on her shows. 

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Of course the girl is going to be totally naked, heaven forbid boys ever are.

The irony of this is that the show is targeted to a female-skewed audience. So you'd think there'd be at least equal opportunity nudity (or quasi-nudity for the censors).

So on rewatch, I think MG was totally over-reacting to his father's reaction. His Bible-loving Christian father just discovered that vampires are real and his son is one in the space of minutes. MG even did the fangs, veiny monster face for him. Of course his father freaked out and started casting and binding! I'd have done the same in that situation, and I'm not even religious. He should have: a, broken the news with an adult who could have mediated and b, given his father some time to process before using the old memory wipe trick.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I really thought for half a second that they might have actually killed Landon off, then I thought he would only be mostly dead and Hope would save him with her tribrid powers, but I did not see that ending coming at all! Of all the weird stuff Landon might be, Phoenix was not at the top of my list, so kudos for actually surprising me, show! I mean, I figured he was supernatural, both because he stole the knife because of a weird pull that all the other supernatural creatures did, and the whole immunity to supernatural powers stuff, but thats a pretty cool idea. 

On 3/8/2019 at 7:08 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Maybe he "died" on the bus as well in the fire.. Or maybe started the fire I dunno... 

Thats a really interesting idea, its fully possible, as it wasnt exactly explained why he survived that I remember. He could have burned with everyone else on the bus when the dragon attacked, and died and come back, and no one would have known, as the bus burned up. 

This show still has some kinks to work out, but I have really enjoyed the last few episodes, it seems to be hitting its stride. The episode was really interestingly narrated, and I didnt see it coming until the end, when MG started crying about being a monster, and the many emotions and character beats all worked really well for me. 

Poor MG, the stuff with his parents was so sad. Maybe they could come around one day, but it doesent look good. Like, maybe start slowly with the whole vampire thing before you start showing the fangs? Landon was definitely pushing him due to his own issues, but he did mean well, so I cant be too mad at him. And I always like the bond between Raf and Landon, they always sell their closeness really well. They frequently drive each other nuts and call each other on their crap, but they are also always ride or die for each other as well. Really, MG is probably lucky Raf didnt full on maul him. 

Even when she isnt even in the episode, Penelope is still stirring shit up. 

Alaric and Kaleb are a great double act, I love what they've done with Kaleb recently, he has a so many shades to him and he works so well with so many characters. 

I wonder if Landon has any other Phoenix powers besides coming back from the dead? Can he control fire? Heal people? Warm up coffee? Training montage time?! I hope he doesent just keep dying and coming back to life, bit the resurrection sequence really was well done. Again, kudos. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Kudos to everyone who figured out how Landon survived the bus attack.

So far, I'm enjoying the overall Malivore story arch. It's a decent take on why some monsters have disappeared from memory and reality.

To me, the show is at its best when the cast works as a team to defeat the MOTW and they grow from it. If they minimize the use of Know-it-all Hope and keep Team Player Hope, the show will be that much better for it.

Overall, this show was better than I expected. Looking forward to how they finish the season.

• Love 3

I agree that this was a great episode.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, Diapason Untuned said:

Of all the things I expected Landon to be, phoenix was not on the top of the list. 

For some reason, I knew Landon was a phoenix, but I can't for the life of me recall why or what they said/showed in a previous episode that made me think that.  

On 3/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, Chris24601 said:

Tyler absolutely got a raw deal. Not only did Landon get to keep his pants, shoes and shirt, but Raf was found fully clothed after transforming into a wolf and shifting back in a fugue state.

To be honest, Landon is more on the scrawny side compared to both Tyler (oh boy!) and Raf.  Now anytime they want to make Raf wake up clothes-less in the woods (or anywhere), I'll be here for it.  #noshame

• Love 2
14 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

To be honest, Landon is more on the scrawny side compared to both Tyler (oh boy!) and Raf.

Almost like he’s a... wait for it... Featherweight? (Ba dum bum)

As for #noshame... if having wardrobe malfunctions when wolfing out is just the price Hope has to pay for being the Tribrid/most powerful supernatural in the world... well, that’s something I am perfectly okay with.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, beeemkcl said:

* Marcel Gerard is probably the most powerful supernatural being in the world.

You know the showrunners went out of their way to put marcel on the back burner or nerd him... Same as they did to Bonnie on TVD

• Love 1

I have been enjoying all of your comments after I watch each episode on Netflix. 

I wanted to add that you rarely get to see young black attractive men being emotionally vulnerable on screen. Acknowledging their pain, making mistakes, being fully formed human beings with emotional needs. I am the loving the portrayal Kirby, Raf and MG so much.

I too agree that Hope giving MG her blood shows she’s got a much stronger moral center than Klaus (who was always such a fucking whining baby man child!!). 

• Love 1