Type keyword(s) to search

The Baby-Sitters Club - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

I so wanted to see Margo Pike peel a banana with her feet.

This show really captured the preteen/early-teen experience. Better than most shows I've seen.

And the judges reaction to that. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

And the judges reaction to that. 

And Claire's Popeye routine.

Sigh, what could have been...

Also agree with previous posters: I wanted to see some mystery plots.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

There were a lot of missed opportunities, that's for sure.  Everyone I knew who watched this show loved it, and loved the updated feel to it.  The BSC hold a very special place in my 90s kid heart, so I wasn't sure I'd like it being set in modern times, but it worked.  I also liked the added diversity, which the actual book series would no doubt reflect if it were written today.  I could have totally seen then making Bart a teenage girl and still make her the object of Kristy's affection.  It'd too bad another streaming site or network wouldn't be able to pick it up.

I also feel for Mallory, but I do get a laugh that her character was only on the series one season, and didn't even get an episode dedicated to her.  Must be the show writer's weren't Mallory fans.  Poor Mallory indeed.     

• Love 3
9 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There were a lot of missed opportunities, that's for sure.  Everyone I knew who watched this show loved it, and loved the updated feel to it.  The BSC hold a very special place in my 90s kid heart, so I wasn't sure I'd like it being set in modern times, but it worked.  I also liked the added diversity, which the actual book series would no doubt reflect if it were written today.  I could have totally seen then making Bart a teenage girl and still make her the object of Kristy's affection.  It'd too bad another streaming site or network wouldn't be able to pick it up.

I wasn't so sure about the reboot at first either. I've hated almost every show or that I liked that got rebooted or remade. I loved the books and I loved the 90s series. But as you said. It worked. They did a great job updating it and diversifying the characters. I was even surprised I didn't want to kill Karen in the first season. I really expected it to get a third season. I was even hoping get two more seasons. They could make it work if they filmed the two seasons in a row. There were so many good books left to do. Plus super specials and mysteries. I can't believe its over in two seasons.

I also feel for Mallory, but I do get a laugh that her character was only on the series one season, and didn't even get an episode dedicated to her.  Must be the show writer's weren't Mallory fans.  Poor Mallory indeed.     

So do I. Poor Mallory didn't get an episode of her own in the reboot or the one from the 90s. Some of her books are my favorites. 

• Love 3
On 10/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, ruby24 said:

I had some questions about the finale with Kristy's dad. First of all, can Watson adopt four minor kids who already have a living father? Pretty sure their dad would have to agree to that, wouldn't he? And sign away his rights or something? Seems like that could get dicey.

Kristy's Dad is the type who could be convinced for the right about of money, and Watson has it. Worst case if he wouldn't agree, Watson could adopt each of the kids the day after they turn 18- they wouldn't need their bio Dad's permission.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:12 AM, idiotwaltz said:

Once Watson adopt Kristy and her brothers, they become legally his children, which makes me wonder if they would become beneficiaries to the Brewer family trust funds, etc. 

99% sure yes. Adoption has the same legal recognition as biological parentage, so unless there is a special clause in the trust about biological children or children adopted before x age, they would inherit from any trust just like any other descendent would.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2021 at 8:41 PM, ruby24 said:

In fact, I was so used to that, that when I would read the opposite in a book or see it in a movie or something, I'd think, isn't that really formal? Do people actually call adults (other than teachers) by that mr. or mrs combination? 

In certain cultural groups yes. I am a 36yrs old woman, and I would NEVER address my Mom's friends without a Dr/Ms/Mr in front of their name unless/until I was invited to do so. Usually for friends of parents, or parents of friends, if they aren't close enough to get an Aunt/Uncle moniker, its "Dr/Ms/Mr First Name". 

Its seen as disrespectful- these are not you peers they are your elders. I certainly wouldn't have done it at 13 years old. If one of my friend's children just called me by my first name with no title without my permission I would say "I like to be called x.".

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, WildFlower87 said:

The show has been cancelled

https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-baby-sitters-club-canceled-netflix-2-seasons-1234975940/

According to the article, the issue was the lack of viewership and interest as Season 2 did poorly in the ratings.

That is such a bummer. Poor viewership? Well they shouldn't have released it around the holidays with everyone watching THEMED tv/movies. 

I finally got around to watching Season 2, and I do think the strongest episode was Claudia & the Sad Goodbye

On 3/12/2022 at 4:12 AM, Beatriceblake said:

I'm surprised they are cancelling it after two seasons but it's probably expensive to make. I can also see it falling into a weird thing where maybe it was more appealing to adults who read the books as kids, than actual kids. Also when I was that age I distinctly remember watching less and less TV aimed at children or tweens and more stuff that seemed to be aimed at older teenagers and young adults like Buffy and Dawson's Creek.

Wish they could have given them a S3 though (even if they made it a shorter season).

I could see that. Adults like it because we read the books, and likely younger kids- but kids that age would be more into stuff on Teen Nick and the CW.

• Love 4