Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Climate Quick Change

• Start Topic

I cannot imagine a scenario in which Irina is not the next designer eliminated. Even if she produces the most beautiful garment of the season, the judges will make up a reason to send her home. They love Michelle, Anthony Ryan and Dmitry are their golden boys, and they will want one international designer in the finals. 

When it comes to actually awarding the win, however, I am not as convinced as some that Michelle has it locked up. I have always seen All Stars as a way to give a big check to a fan favorite by any contrived means necessary, and I don't think Michelle has ever been particularly popular with the fans. Moreover, she's a woman; with the exception of Dom, all other All Stars winner have been men. (I think Dom won, in part, because she was the only original recipe PR winner who competed on All Stars 5, and previous winners always win again on this show when they are up against non-winners). 

My hunch is that Dmitry or Anthony Ryan will take it again, but I wouldn't mind a Michelle win. Her style is not for everyone, but I do think she is talented. Her winning collection from S11 is one of my favorites in the show's history (along with Irina's, as a matter of fact). 

• Love 1

Well, I'll walk out on the ledge...I really liked Michelle's! There are some things I'd have fixed...change the neckline, add a hood. But the fabrics were a great combination IMO and the idea was the most inventive and transformative. Tho I preferred it before the transformation, visually.

Irina's was my second pick, but I agree with the judges those pants were bad so I'm not surprised she didn't win. It wasn't just the color, it was also the fit and the leg shape. They just clashed with the head wrap, which was fantastic. 

I was a little surprised Christina went home, but of the two it was a toss-up. The judges being polarized on some pushed two well-executed but boring designs down to the bottom. Her bathing suit and caftan were really pretty, but I do believe she didn't create anything new nor did she "transform" anything. His was slightly more interesting. That said, my personal pick for worst was Anthony Ryan. That was terrible.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Token said:

Seeing Michelle's outfit in that picture, it looks even worse than it did on my TV screen.  So schlumpy and ugly.  Who would want to wear that mess???

Yes indeed - a day later and it looks even uglier!  I really don't understand why these garments won the challenge.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I liked Dmitry's dress, but not the coat. I hate 3/4 sleeves and it totally missed the point of conversion if you have to carry the coat. "Oh, it's so hot out, but I'd better bring a coat in case it snows!" 

What might have worked was if he had turned the coat into a purse which folds out, like my poncho which folds into a zippered bag. But with one day for the challenge, that was pretty much impossible. 

I can't like this comment enough.  I have pathological hatred of 3/4 sleeves (which stems from the fact that I have very long arms so many supposed long sleeves seem to end up as 3/4 sleeves, it drives me crazy) and if the sleeves had rolled down to full length, I'd have liked it more.  I do wish Dmitry, Dima, would go back to the tailored looks that he won with in his previous two wins.  

I'm hoping that this constant Michelle pimping is a redherring to mislead us.  I remember a couple of times that the judges were all gung ho on one of the contestants and surprised everyone with crowning a different winner.  Like season 15 when the judges constantly pumped up the ugly clothes of Brandon and Kentaro won.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Linderhill said:

those are some ugly toenails.  😵 but then it goes with the ugly outfit.  and designer

Wow, I thought I was the only one who noticed those thick, wonky, creepy big toenails. Thank goodness for polish. The model is probably a lovely woman-who is in need of a podiatrist badly. Paging Dr. “Toe Bro!”

And Michelle, your designs are fugly.

Edited by hookedontv
Typos
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, SHD said:

How does one even dress for “windy”? Unless windchill is involved, that word means nothing in regards to how someone would dress. 

I would not dress in long, flowing dresses, with or without loose hoods, that would be flying around and getting in my way as I walked.   I also wouldn't wear a  shorter, flippy skirt where wind would blow it up.  I think I would be most likely to wear pants, and clothes that are cut closer to the body, more fitted. 

I must have misunderstood the challenge.  I was expecting to see lots of layers that could be taken on and off, and more sporty clothes, but especially pants.  Even with resort wear, I don't get why everyone did flowing dresses and caftans, except for Irena's pants.  All that fabric would end up a wet, heavy mess in the rain, and all tangled in wind.

Whatever it was, it was a dumb challenge, so of course we got stupid outfits. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5
On 3/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, leocadia said:

I think this season exists for the sole reason of making my blood boil.

First, Michelle wins for her knock-off of a 20 yr old J Lo dress.  Aside from that, wasn't her first climate "windy"?  I don't think there's enough sticky tape in the world to make that dress wearable on a windy day.  Once again the challenge falls to the wayside when one of the chosen ones ignores it.  She really must have something on the producers or judges because her continued success is inexplicable.

Was Harvey Weinstein's company still in charge of this season? I noticed (for the first time, although it's probably always there) that at the end of the show, during the "next time" bit, text on screen said that the judges combined their scores with input from the producers and Lifetime to decide the winner.

22 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Irina’s was the most tasteful, and the look would fit in perfectly at a Moroccan resort. She should have been the winner.

I liked that it looked vaguely Moroccan. It wasn't an exact copy, but it evoked the feeling of north Africa for me.

3 hours ago, SHD said:

How does one even dress for “windy”? Unless windchill is involved, that word means nothing in regards to how someone would dress. 

I live where the state song mentions wind twice, so you know it's windy. When there's going to be strong wind, you don't wear flippy dresses that are going to blow. You wear pants or skirts that are straighter and don't have so much fabric -- unless you want to show off everything underneath the skirt. I suppose if you are someone who would wear the might-as-well-be-topless thing Dmitri made, you might be OK with it.

• Love 2

The whole "news reporter" charade was ultra cringe.   A grotesque trivialization of a global crisis just so they can capitalize on the word play.  They basically made a joke of climate change.

What's next week?  Family Separations?  "Design separates that a mother or daughter can wear, whether together or apart ..."

I appreciated Christina because she carried herself like a real person and serious designer, not a caricature (Anthony Ryan, Michelle).

I haven't liked any of the guest judges this season.

• Love 17
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

and the sleeves were "like a pocket." Emphasis on the word "like." Given that if you actually put anything in the "pocket" it will fall right through to the floor. But hey, you can look cool putting your hands in the "pockets."

In terms of utility, Michelle's pocket innovation is rivaled only by Anthony Ryan's "You can write your shopping list on your back" coat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

Was Harvey Weinstein's company still in charge of this season? I noticed (for the first time, although it's probably always there) that at the end of the show, during the "next time" bit, text on screen said that the judges combined their scores with input from the producers and Lifetime to decide the winner.

Yes, this season was filmed over two years ago.

PR has always had that disclaimer in tiny print during the credits. Many competitive reality shows have that disclaimer. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, millennium said:

The whole "news reporter" charade was ultra cringe.   A grotesque trivialization of a global crisis just so they can capitalize on the word play.  They basically made a joke of climate change.

What's next week?  Family Separations?  "Design separates that a mother or daughter can wear, whether together or apart ..."

You nailed what I was trying to say in an earlier comment. And said it better.

Edited by dleighg

This show would have been good if all of the commenters in this forum had been the judges rather than the awful, inconsistent, biased judging this time around.

Fashion is personal so While there are differences of opinions here, at least they are well thought out.

I’ve been lurking on this panel and agree this season was horrendous (due to the judging, the stupid challenges, and the mentor from hell).

• Love 8

Oh, that was just awful.  The only design I liked was Christina's, and she was sent home.  The rest were dreck. 

Actually, the whole challenge as it was framed was really unfair.  They needed to all have the same weather challenge to make it fair, then you could see how the transitions compared against each other.  But how can you compare taking off a snow suit to putting on a raincoat.  Not fair.

And why does Anne suddenly looooove green when Michelle uses it, but hates it when it is Biddell's choice, hmmm?

Enough with the fugly patterns already, designers.   I fear for next week....

• Love 15
(edited)
On 3/7/2019 at 1:02 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And FYI - it's not a pocket if it's actually an open sleeve because if I put my phone, keys, or lipstick in this "pocket," it will just fall on the floor.

Exactly what I was yelling at my TV. 🙂

Also this continued the ignorant confusion between climate change and weather. ("Have you seen this snowball? How can there be global warming when there are snowballs this big outside the Capitol?")

I live in Seattle where we have to dress for changes in weather all year round -- just yesterday, I woke up with snow on the ground, followed by blazing sunshine, and then a hailstorm. The solution is layers, people, including socks with open sandals if necessary... 

Edited by morakot
Had another point to make.
  • Love 12
On 3/6/2019 at 11:11 PM, leocadia said:

I think this season exists for the sole reason of making my blood boil.

First, Michelle wins for her knock-off of a 20 yr old J Lo dress.  Aside from that, wasn't her first climate "windy"?  I don't think there's enough sticky tape in the world to make that dress wearable on a windy day.  Once again the challenge falls to the wayside when one of the chosen ones ignores it.  She really must have something on the producers or judges because her continued success is inexplicable.

That said, I didn't think her outfit was the worst.  It seemed to me that they were leaning toward Dimitry and Anthony  Ryan as the bottom two.  As much as I like Dimitry, I could understand that.  I was blown away when they announced Biddel and Christina as the bottom two!!  I loved Christina's look (simple as it was) and thought Biddel certainly did enough to be safe.  I should have known by now that the two American winners would take precedence over the international contestants.

This whole season has been a farce. I certainly hope we get some consistency in judging  when the show goes back to Bravo.  I don't expect to agree with the judges every time, and there is certainly a lack of objectivity in judging fashion, but this just stinks.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Michele love emanating from the judges...she thinks very highly of herself and has nothing nice or supportive to say about any of the other designers ever...catty, unoriginal and mundane.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, auntlada said:

I live where the state song mentions wind twice, so you know it's windy.

OOOOOOOOOOklahoma, where the wind goes sweeping down the plain!

I was in a junior high school production of that musical!

Topic? Bad challenge! BAD!

• Love 2

I'm so tired of seeing them boot off the international contestants when their looks are not bad. Dmitry should have gone home if you ask me. His dress was hideous and so was the coat. I would have given Irina the win. I thought Christina's outfit was lovely, and she seems to be a really nice person as well as talented. I didn't hate Michelle's but I'm so sick of her that it colors my opinion of whatever she makes. 

• Love 15

If you’re a woman who likes granny prints, horribly clashing colors, inexplicable combinations somehow simultaneously way too revealing and way too flowy, rain gear that doesn't even cover your head, styling that makes you look like the world’s most drab spinster schoolmarm, and bad shoes, then wow does Michelle ever have the look for you.

Seriously, remember when PR judges used to question contestants about who is the woman they’re designing for?  Who in the holy heck is Michelle’s woman?  

I’m starting to think JC Penney might have driven themselves into bankruptcy just so they didn’t have to offer a version of Michelle’s look.  If so, thank you, JC Penney, thank you, thank you for your noble sacrifice.

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

This season is draaaaaging along. I would say kill it but the change in network has already resulted in effective cancellation. Everything has been stale, including bringing some of the designers back for third and fourth times. Magical Elves haven't committed to doing any kind of all stars and I wonder if its because of how much of a shitshow this has devolved into. Wait a few years, have several crops of new designers and don't bring back anyone who appeared on Lifetime.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2019 at 4:02 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Michelle's model was wearing a dress that was bare from the neck to the naval in rain and wind. Again, so practical. And FYI - it's not a pocket if it's actually an open sleeve because if I put my phone, keys, or lipstick in this "pocket," it will just fall on the floor.

I was so distracted for the whole episode trying to figure out how that pocket/sleeve would work.

And, as Neil DeGrasse Tyson would say:  stop confusing "weather" with "climate," people.  I live in New England, where the motto is, "If you don't like the weather right now, wait 5 minutes."  We have dropped 40 degrees (F) in one afternoon and then had a tornado, is what I'm saying.  We have all of the weather conditions depicted (sometimes in the course of a month!) and not one of those designs would be appropriate.  I love how Cynthia Erivo called out AR's one-sleeved dress:  who would wear that in the snow??

How do you dress for reeeally windy?  Lots of zippers and buckles to keep your clothes where they are supposed to be. And pants.  

• Love 6

When Christina was eliminated Biddell hugged her and said "wow," like he was in shock at what just happened? That about sums it up. 

Her outfit was gorgeous. Several others made unwearable clothes that did not fit the challenge. Michelle's was hideous yet AGAIN.

They were never going to let Christina anywhere near the finale --too much competition for their chosen winner. But did they have to fucking break her spirit? Saying her her work was boring and she didn't know who was designing for and all that shit. Mean-girling her. Afterwards, Dimitry said, "we will miss your humor." Oh, she was funny too? Gee, we didn't get to see ANY of that. Of course not. I hope she wiped this shit show off her shoe and went on with her fabulousness. 

• Love 20

I found it hilarious when the judges questioned who Christina was as a designer.  She's said from the start that she is a women's clothing designer who veers towards gender neutral designs.  I said that when they were mouthing off about not knowing who she is.

Meanwhile, I have no idea who Michelle, AR, and Dimitry are supposed to be as designers, except people who pick horrific prints and design terrible clothes that don't fit any of the challenges that have been set.  But apparently that's okay.

• Love 11

I get the complaints about Anthony Ryan's thing missing a sleeve... but really in cold weather sometimes you were impractical stuff because you aren't going to be outside long.... Living in the midwest, we still go places when there is snow everywhere, but if it's going from the car into a restaurant or event, I could see wearing a statement piece without a sleeve and just bearing the cold for the brief moments outside.    I know that wasn't the challenge, but none of these outfits were for spending lots of time and staying outdoors, aside from maybe the miami beachy kind of things...

Michelle's ultra-plunging neckline would not work for windy. I mean, that's just stupid, plain and simple. In fact, I almost never like that kind of neckline when they do it on this show. I know they aren't making ready-to-wear, but I don't ever see women out in the real world wearing anything close to that, even in a formal or club setting. Her coat was super fug too. The materials clashed with each other in terms of weight, though I guess given the challenge, that was just going to happen.

I did agree with the criticism about Irina's pants. The color felt so off. However, I did think she fulfilled the challenge, and I generally liked what she did. Still dislike her as a person, lol, but I would probably have her design for me.

Dmitry didn't fulfill the challenge. Yeah, he was screwed with having to go from sunny to snow, but he made a dress and a coat. There isn't anything transformational about that. And again, the see-thru top of the dress irritates me. What are you supposed to do with your boobs in a dress like that? Put pasties on and let your girls bounce around under granny lace? As much as I like Dmitry, he should have been sent home this week.

I actually like Biddel's the best. It was weird but cute. And it seemed at least relatively realistic.

Poor Christina. Her outfit was lovely and hit the mark of the challenge as well as it could without being ridiculous. See, she didn't understand that the judges were going for fug, outlandish, and dumb for this all-star season.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Token said:

I found it hilarious when the judges questioned who Christina was as a designer.  She's said from the start that she is a women's clothing designer who veers towards gender neutral designs.  I said that when they were mouthing off about not knowing who she is.

Also, she had just told them that, right before they said they don't know who she designs for.

I was thinking about Dmitri's sun to snow and thinking he could have made pants under a skirt that could be unsnapped, unbuttoned or unzipped in the front and pulled up like a cape for the snow. That might have been too much like Irina's, though, and it would have been warm during the sun, but anything suitable for snow would be warm during the sun.

• Love 3

This is a very strange show. I wonder if the producers are just trolling us, the loyal viewers, for the lols. They got rid of most of the international designers/winners of their seasons for any minor infraction that could be invented - keeping in people like Anya who still couldn't actually sew for ages past their first aborted eviction (bizarre); and then there are endless fugly designs week after week, complete with obnoxious talking heads from Anthony Ryan and Michelle, and not only are they not in the bottom three, they win the challenge over and over!

Dmitri is not at his best this season. Irina's taste has always been questionable to me. But I would love to have seen more of what people with actual design, construction, and sewing skills - like Christina, Juli, Jasper, Sunny, and Cynthia, or poor early-boot Seth, for god's sake - could have come up with in these later challenges, rather than see the judges' pets AR and Michelle's horrid creations winning rave responses, and one has to assume the final prize. Ugh!

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 11
On 3/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, Aulty said:

I said a few weeks ago that Bidell would be the last International standing - surely has nothing to do with (I assume) PR airing in Canada but not in any of the other countries.

AR's was like his design he won with early in this season and if he makes it to the final, thats the gimmick he's gonna use for hois whole collection, mark my words. One bare arm during a snow storm, yeah, thats gonna work. And the hemlines were fugly.

Michelle should have gone home, not win - I liked the prints but wtf? Turning the sleeves inside out does not make them proper pockets. Dimitri is still riding the mumu-train.

Only one week to go until PR is back on Bravo!

PR and PR Allstars airs in Australia!

I was hoping Christina would be in the comp longer, but I have been cynically expecting an all US finale.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, dleighg said:

and the sleeves were "like a pocket." Emphasis on the word "like." Given that if you actually put anything in the "pocket" it will fall right through to the floor. But hey, you can look cool putting your hands in the "pockets."

Exactly what I was going to say! They aren’t pockets...they are just inside out sleeves 🤣

• Love 4
On 3/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Too bad for this crew that Sean is the Eternal Winner of this category (if only in spirit now), what with his former "The Design That Comes Out in the Rain" dress!

This is my all-time favorite 🌈🎨🌨!!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4

I'm going to take a pass on the new revamped Bravo show. I have no interest in Christian Siriano or anything he does. I know its an unpopular opinion but I thought his designs in his season were anything to get excited about. (skinny pants and elaborate tops are the only designs that stay in my mind besides the collaboration with Chris for the Avant Garde gown) I've kind of liked some of Christian's designs for celebs since his season but he never was a favorite of mine.

• Love 3

This season is such garbage. These challenges are nonsense! I mean, where the hell does it go from HOT to snowing?!? I don't even know what kind of outfit that would require. A bathing suit with a parka?!?

What was the point of bringing all of these international winners only to pick them off one by one? Anthony Ryan should have gone. That was absolutely hideous and nonfunctional. His girl needs to borrow Dmitry's coat because a bare arm in snow is ridiculous. What an idiot - "I've never seen a mountain." "I've never been where there's snow". Does he know how to use the internet? Or common sense?

I must be crazy because I thought Cristina should have won - it was beautiful and functional. So of course she was sent packing. Stupid judges.

I hope with the show moving back to Bravo we never see these "All Stars" again. I am sick of them. Not one good idea out of any of them this season. If they have to keep coming back to PR for money and fame they are not "All Stars". The real Project Runway All Star is now a judge on the Bravo reboot. This season can't end soon enough for me..........

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I agree, though I guess the same could be said of Siriano?

I don’t think so - he’s coming back as a judge, not a contestant. He’s playing the role of Michael Kors, Zac Posen or Isaac.....

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don’t think so - he’s coming back as a judge, not a contestant. He’s playing the role of Michael Kors, Zac Posen or Isaac.....

Christian is the "Tim Gunn" mentor of the new iteration. He won't be judging.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Christian is the "Tim Gunn" mentor of the new iteration. He won't be judging.

Aha! Thanks for the correction! Either way, definitely an upgrade from "contestant"........

• Love 2
On 3/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, bobbyjoe said:

Seriously, remember when PR judges used to question contestants about who is the woman they’re designing for?  Who in the holy heck is Michelle’s woman?  

Michelle is Michelle's woman. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Bottom line, he's getting a check from Bravo.

He should be - Christian brought more cred to this show than any other contestant in the history of the show........He's the Kelly Clarkson (Carrie Underwood?) of PR!

• Love 3

When I saw the runway show I thought Christine had it in the bag!  I thought it was really good and she has (IMO) showed good work. When they (the judges) said that Michelle was in the top - I thought, "WHAAATT???"   

Although to be honest I haven't exactly been amazed or blown away by anything (even Dimitri - who I really like 🙂 ).  Some have looked nice or above average, some have consistently been terrible (Looking at you, Michelle and AR). But again nothing really stands out as amazing/fashionable/"new".

^And totally OT: I have been watching the old Bravo episodes and even the ones "offed" are better than this group.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, pinguina said:

Although to be honest I haven't exactly been amazed or blown away by anything (even Dimitri - who I really like 🙂 ).  Some have looked nice or above average, some have consistently been terrible (Looking at you, Michelle and AR). But again nothing really stands out as amazing/fashionable/"new".

None of it would probably seem new anyway, but to me this is a problem with airing a fashion show so long after it was taped. The stuff they were designing might be all over the place now, but wasn't then.

The real problem I have when the judges say they've seen something before is that I think, "Of course you have. There's not really anything new in fashion. There's just stuff you haven't seen in a really long time."

• Love 2