Type keyword(s) to search

Dragnificent! (formerly Drag Me Down the Aisle) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Premieres March 9th on TLC starring alums from RuPaul's Drag Race (BeBe Zahara Benet, Thorgy Thor, Jujubee, and Alexis Michelle) helping a "nervous bride" plan her big day. 

YAY!

I really enjoyed this!  It was a nice twist on the bridal makeover show. Plus I'm not too far from Lancaster - PA Represent!  I'm quite familiar with all of the queens, and it was great seeing them outside of Drag Race. I think this was a one-off; hopefully they do more.  

• Love 2

I enjoyed this!  I think I liked it because the bride was a sweet no-drama girl. a   refreshing change from the attention-seeking, Instagram-posting, overly-made-up, fake tanned, hair-extension and breast-implanted spoiled woman-children on Say Yes to the Dress.

I also liked it as a one-of.  I would  watch again but I'm not sure if I would follow for a while series.

• Love 6

I was very skeptical of this idea (and to be honest, only truly LOVE Jujubee... I can handle Thorgy & Michelle, and BeBe doesn't ring my bell at all), and only DVR'd it to kind of hate watch it...
I ended up loving this show!

There wasn't a Super Special Message™ (Conservatives are Evil, Small Town Learns to Be Open Minded, etc), there was no hate shown (or edited in) by any family members, all 4 Queens were respectful and didn't show up in drag to the ceremony (I fully expected that, going into this).

Once I realized each Queen had a "specialty" it made sense for these 4 specifically to be there (Thorgy was a stretch, I think). All were respectful of those that came before (the dad, the florist, the mom) and included them in the day, rather than roll right over them.

There wasn't a lot of Crude Drag Humor, which was appreciated for the locale, the people, and the audience watching.

All in all, I'd give this a 9/10 and totally watch it again. Maybe a rolling group of 4 queens (all Bebe, all day is a bit much for me).

• Love 7

I really hope this becomes a series. I love Thorgy and Juju, and this combines two of my favourite things: drag queens and weddings.

However, I *hated* the red dress they gave the bride to wear for her rehearsal dinner. It looked awful on her.

Edited by Ciarrai

I call shenanigans on Corrine!  Loved her, loved the fiancé but she already knew how to do makeup and be cute.  She knows how to do eyelashes!  I can’t do eyelashes....this girl was already pretty.  They just told her not to shower after practice, wear her glasses, and don’t wear makeup.  Love a makeover show though so I’m still in.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, For Cereals said:

I call shenanigans on Corrine!  Loved her, loved the fiancé but she already knew how to do makeup and be cute.  She knows how to do eyelashes!  I can’t do eyelashes....this girl was already pretty.  They just told her not to shower after practice, wear her glasses, and don’t wear makeup.  Love a makeover show though so I’m still in.

Agree! Once they showed her all fixed up, I was bewildered why she needed any help at all. If she is brave enough to wear fake eyelashes and put on green lipstick, she's good to go! 

But I love makeover shows and drag queens both, so I'm fully in! 

This last show the makeover person looked beautiful but her personality was kind of drag no matter what.  I will still watch though because I really love to watch Thorgy (hope I spelled that right).

• Love 2

I was going to say she was a drag too. She needed the makeover but they didn’t even touch her brows, they wanted plucking! I don’t think she would have really had a butterfly party, it seems something a reserved person would run away from.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I missed the performance at the club. How did she do?

She looked like an animatronic robot.  Like the older folks on Dancing With the Stars.  The joke someone once said about them, “walk, walk, jazz hands...repeat.”

Love the queens, but I’m not in love with the makeovers thus far.  This week, hair and makeup were great (sans the eyebrows), but the dress was frumpy.  Nice, but more for church.  I liked the elements of the dress like the sleeve length, but I was expecting more glam.  She also was in desperate need of a good bra.  I’m glad she felt good though at the end.

I thought the wedding look on the first episode actually aged the bride.

• Love 2

The woman, Amy, who had lost weight.  What a dud.  The queens were extra extra to try to bring some life to the episode, because Amy just stood there basically frozen.  At the end they were all congratulating themselves, but it felt forced.

The client last week with the high school reunion was much more interesting.

• Love 2

It's probably the construct of the show that they have to have some sort of occasion to debut at, weddings and last week's wacko glitz reunion queen seemed easier. I have a lot of nitpicks with TLC shows, and "let's have a fake party/reunion/vacation/wedding vow renewal" is one of them.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cpcathy said:

It's probably the construct of the show that they have to have some sort of occasion to debut at, weddings and last week's wacko glitz reunion queen seemed easier. I have a lot of nitpicks with TLC shows, and "let's have a fake party/reunion/vacation/wedding vow renewal" is one of them.

I agree, and this one was sooo forced.  Amy probably didn't know more than 4 people there (not including the queens).  Aside from daughter and her mom, there were a ton of gay men there that obvs has been recruited from the bar in Toledo.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2020 at 11:57 PM, For Cereals said:

Some shenanigans, yes, but the worst part was the dress she ended up with.  No, it was not completely horrible and was the best one we saw her wear, but she would have looked better with her arms covered.  She needed a bigger upside down triangle on top. A shape like Alexis was wearing would have been good for Corinne.  I hate the strapless designs and I think they are very unflattering on gals who have fleshy backs and arms.

• Love 2

Jeez, couldn’t someone have tossed a tie to the bride’s father before he walked her down the aisle.  I thought he was a derelict they pulled off the street to play the part.   The stepmother was dressed really nicely so there was a very apparent disconnect there.  The groom was a really great guy.  

• Love 2

I LOVE this show!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

The queens are over the top (hello, oxymoron) and they have their clients' best wishes at heart.  I'm feeling a bit emotional these days and I cried when the young woman was sad her late mother couldn't be there for her wedding.  I thought the queens did a great job with her.

If it sounds like I'm gushing, I am.  I really like this show.

• Love 2

I loved how when Miranda came into the room you could see the crowd visibly stunned.

Im really enjoying this series so far especially Alexis. She’s the emotional support core of the show like Bobby on Queer Eye. Slowing trying to empower the client while doing their makeup or picking out their clothes and being vulnerable about their own struggles while doing so.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:58 AM, Koalagirl said:

Jeez, couldn’t someone have tossed a tie to the bride’s father before he walked her down the aisle.  I thought he was a derelict they pulled off the street to play the part.   The stepmother was dressed really nicely so there was a very apparent disconnect there.  The groom was a really great guy.  

Some men don't want to dress for weddings. I had a friend whose uncle was to walk her down the aisle (her father had passed) and when he was asked to wear a suit, he refused and didn't even come to the wedding!

• Love 1

I didn't even notice that he wasn't wearing a tie, and that was between him and his daughter and she didn't seem to care either.  This was favorite of all the episodes so far (and yes, I cried a little at the end when she was showing her sonogram picture).

Loooove this show but I did not like Corinne at all. She sounded perpetually as if her nose was plugged, and she kept tipping her head back, squinting her eyes shut and looking down her nose for some reason. It just looked completely put on during the dress shopping scene to make herself look more awkward, since she didn't do it during the wedding.

I wasn't a big fan of Alexis on Drag Race but I'm enjoying her on this show. Thorgy and Juju are still my favourite though.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I wonder why Thorgy was barely on this week's episode?

Yes, I thought was odd.  But I did love the woman they helped.  She had a great (and not just made for tv) reason to get involved with the queens.   She also got a great make over out of it and, even though I figured it was coming, I teared  up a bit when she gave her son the pink shoes.  

• Love 1

I was waiting for those pink shoes also!  The son already did a great job putting on his makeup by the way (unless there was off the camera help).  I do think when they did the mother in drag they did her a disservice by leaving her with her original eyebrows - but she looked beautiful in her makeover.

I assume they will all have different episodes where one queen is more featured than in others - but Thorgy was non-existent last night except at the start and at the finish...I wonder whether she had a conflict or was ill or something?  (I probably should confess here that Thorgy is the reason I watch the show...if you couldn't already tell...although I am developing a fondness for Alexis also.)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, RoxiP said:

when they did the mother in drag they did her a disservice by leaving her with her original eyebrows

Agree.  It was more like "quick drag" and it really aged her.  If I were going to be put in drag, I would want the full treatment, including eyebrows.

But her son is talented in makeup, so theoretically, he could put mom in full drag makeup if she asked.

• Love 1

I really loved the show last night.  I wish I could think of a reason for the queens to visit me but I don't have one.  Ooooh, perhaps they could help me run BolderBoulder on Labor Day?  Nah, don't even think the race is going to happen.....

Anyway, I love this show and I consider this a palate cleansing after watching Bravo train-wrecks.  Love these folks.

• Love 3

Loved the woman with the birthmark.  Loved her husband and kids.  Shallow, but I think she should get braces on her teeth to straighten out her smile.

i hope the production company cleaned up the mess after the queens babysat.

The mermaid photo shoot was amazing.  I want to do that!

I would have liked a bit of an introduction regarding the two womxn in suits. Are they a couple?  Maybe one of them is the groom's sibling?

I am a bit skeptical that this is the second episode in a row where the couple "lost" their officiant a couple days before the wedding.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

I am a bit skeptical that this is the second episode in a row where the couple "lost" their officiant a couple days before the wedding.

Please don't kill my buzz.  😁

I loved the young woman with the port wine stain; it must have been very difficult to grow up with that.  I had acne and I'm not sure I'm over it (I'm 61).

I am completely buying what the queens are selling.  I really like them very much.

• Love 1

Not my knowledge about port wine stain - does it also distort surrounding skin?  Her face looked like it pulled to one side???  No matter what, I absolutely loved her - she had such a joy for life and a lightness about her that was engaging.  I loved this episode.

• Love 1

I personally thought the photoshoot was silly but it seemed to make Sarah happy.  I noticed they used shots from it at the reception.  Her husband was definitely uncomfortable but again, he was doing whatever he had to do to make his wife happy so he gets bonus points for that!

I thought her makeup was beautiful both with and without her birthmark showing...Alexis did a great job of minimizing it at the wedding (although quite honestly I would have covered it up but I understand why she did not).

• Love 4

I love this week's episode!  I am really loving Alexis in this show.  I never really had much of an opinion about her, but I think she is so great with the clients.  And her make up makeovers are flawless.  I've always liked Thorgy, but I wish she would tone it down.  She's so over the top in her reactions.

JuJu has always been one of my all-time faves from RPDR.  BeBe really annoys me.  She never used to on RPDR, but she was only in the first (lost) season and one iteration of All-Stars.  I just don't like her affectations.  

I would love to see Alexis replace Eureka on We're Here, but that is a discussion for another Forum.  🙂  

• Love 2

I like Thorgy and Alexis so much more now after watching a few episodes

Jujubee has always been a favorite.  And since Bebe came up with "rakka tiki tata" as song lyrics in an All Stars challenge, she gets a lifetime pass from me for whatever.

• Love 1