Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E02: One of Us Is Going to Win

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, zoltana said:

78f17991-361b-4391-9246-418a628a5eea-survivorep2.8.jpg

Thank you.

56 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think having individual EOEs would be practical or good television.  I'd much rather see people work together, fight or otherwise interact than watch clips of people sitting, suffering and complaining, by themselves.   

I am 100% sure Production would also rather see people together then by themselves so I have no doubt that everyone will go to the same EoE island in order for drama to hopefully ensue.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Second, does anyone else cringe when idol hunters stick their hands into holes and between rocks?  I'm surprised no one had been bitten by a snake.

This this THIS.  When LaurenLaurenLegsLauren saw a hole at the base of a tree and appeared to immediately just stick her hand into the hole, I was 3/4 expecting her to drag her hand back out with something attached - maybe not a snake specifically (IIRC Fiji is pretty much landsnake-free), but a spider, or a rat, or a lizard - something making that hole their home, and not appreciating the unwelcome intrusion.  

I can only hope TPTB have apprised the contestants beforehand of the dangers inherent in dangling their digits in unseemly places, and some advance stick-prodding or such was simply edited out.

Edited by Nashville
Formatting
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I can only hope TPTB have apprised the contestants beforehand of the dangers inherent in dangling their digits in unseemly places, and some advance stick-prodding or such was simply edited out.

This article, Behind the scenes of a Survivor marooning, was amazing. There's a bit in there about Jimmy Quigley, the guy that actually hides the idols. I'm pretty sure he cleans out the holes and rocks thoroughly. I certainly would!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Two things.  First, I don't remember his name (I don't know most of the names yet) but someone commented that he likes David because they share the same goals.  Um, no.  David's goal is to win.  I don't think that is your goal.

Second, does anyone else cringe when idol hunters stick their hands into holes and between rocks?  I'm surprised no one had been bitten by a snake.

Production should start planting scorpions,  venomous snakes, and maybe human waste in places that look like idol holes, to spice the game up a little. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

as usual I am right and everyone else is wrong

for one thing, everyone's theology is wrong, but what else is new

other things: I am going to go ahead and say there is absolutely no chance that Lauren's idol will wash away on the tide.  If it was a clue, maybe, although Lauren is no Angelina (alas).  And no, it doesn't matter if someone digs it up, steps on it, finds it at the bottom of the sea, it will always be Lauren's idol until she says "I AM GIVING YOU THIS IDOL" to someone else.  Also Kelley Wentworth is absolutely a Survivor legend and it's amazing nobody apparently remembers her when she was surely the star of Second Chances, which was a star-studded cast indeed.  I continue to be grumpy this season, I'm not sure why.

Things nobody is wrong about: this was indeed a boring episode.  Wardog is a terrible nickname and an unappealing character.  Anchor guy should be sent home and his prize money void for demanding that he be called by his full name, and yes it is unfair but his resemblance to Jared Fogle does creep me out.  Everyone in the "should we be looking for idols?" conversation was totally inexcusable, and also I can't help but like the Wendy's mascot girl.  That guy who materialized out of nowhere for this episode was indeed pretty hot, although like other recent Survivor hotties Ken and Michael he's not really my type.  Probst is inserting himself into things way too much this season.  The Aubry montage was pretty funny.

Now on to opinions.  I enjoyed the crazy ending, just as an editing choice, like last episode.  I continue to think none of these returnees should have returned.  Will Joe once again be immune for the entire first two-thirds of the game?  I guess they wanted suspense but I wish they had shown something of Kelley doing something this episode, instead of just cutting to her concerned face every five seconds. 

There was Dan from Nicaragua of the million-dollar shoes, also terrible, and on looking it up, there was Dan the astronaut from Panama who was allied with Terry Dietz so is also on my shitlist.  And some Dan I literally cannot remember anything whatsoever about from Gabon.  I think Brochacho Dan is actually the best Dan they've ever had, which is pretty sad.

And I thought I had arbitrary dislikes!

I seem to remember the terrible Dawn Meehan acting this way, "but what about my seven adopted children??" or whatever.  Blech!

I don't think I would have ever said that.  I feel like she was always kind of a loud goofball on her first season, who was mostly lucky to have Too-Much-Meat Joe on her tribe, giving her a puppet vote at every tribal.  Of course not as loud and goofy as Debbie, so maybe she seemed subtle in comparison.  But anyway on the accursed Game Changers she was all too subtle surrounded by vastly better players and did absolutely nothing but warm a spot on the bench the whole game.

It's annoying. Who voted for Wendy?  Who did Wendy vote for?  Was it Keith voted for Kelley, and someone voted for Wendy in case of an idol, or was it Wendy voted for Kelley, Keith voted for Wendy, and everyone voted for Keith?  I feel like this is important information.

Generally speaking, on Survivor, players tend to not want to work with people whose plan is to vote them out.  Maybe Kim Spradlin could walk up to someone and say, "Hey I'm thinking let's vote you out tonight," and the person would say, "Yes, Kim, I'm in, let's do it" but Wendy is no Kim Spradlin, I doubt she could make that one work.

I honestly think you guys would have all been disappointed anyway -- I think Reem and Kelley would have been fast friends within two days on the EDGE OF EXTINCTION.  There was no reason for them to dislike each other.  There was nothing personal in either of their votes, not even the "how dare you dry my clothes" stuff that other people said;2 Kelley never talked about it.  Certainly Reem wasn't voting for Kelley because she disliked her as a person.  I feel like they're pretty similar people, honestly.  They would have no reason to fight or do anything except work really hard to make shelter and feed each other and not even worry about votes at all.  Once you're out of the game bygones tend to be bygones.  Why on earth would they make themselves miserable?  Even with the elmination duels going on, Redemption Island was a lovefest with Ozzy there, I don't see why the EDGE OF EXTINCTION would be different.  My guess is, if Reem and Kelley end up on THE EDGE together for any length of time, they are going to bond, not fight.

Outstanding post!  Thanks for letting us know how wrong we are. :)

Wardog might be something his buddies could call him, but asking others to call you that is suspect, at best, and referring to yourself as it with a "The" in front of it, should be a felony.  

One thing I don't get, is that wouldn't all his combat vet buddies also be as much of "Wardogs" as he is?  How did he get to be "The Wardog"? 

So, Dan's are all evil.  Good thing to know.  

I despised Dawn Meehan.  One of the main reasons was how she talked about her "six adopted kids".  It wasn't like she said,  "I have 6, wonderful, adopted children, and I'd like to be able to give them so much more." It was more like they were some horrible cross she had to bear for being such a martyr and wonderful person for adopting the rotten brats and she deserved a million dollars for putting up with them.  

• Love 7
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, marys1000 said:

Keith was doing all his yelling while walking wasn't he?  It didn't seem like it took long to make a decision to me. 

The show ended before he made any decision whatsoever except to freak out both God and Jesus with his wailing over a reality show move.  So no he wasn't walking anywhere except in circles in front of the signs.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I didn't notice him slacking off in the snake carrying, but that is much worse than him not being able to swim.

This is about Keith again.  If you watch them try and get their snake up and over that cage in the water you can see him clearly off by himself to the left of the TV screen trying to climb out of the cage and ignoring the snake lifting chore.  Someone is shouting for him to come over and help them lift it up.  He kind of hesitates then starts to slowly move over to the rest of the group but they got it out and over before he finally got there. 

And yeah that is worse than the swimming part because at least he was trying to swim.  Then the final nail was his inability to throw the ring even close to the target of course but again he was trying.  But the lack of trying to help lift that heavy snake out in the water cage and totally ignoring the rest of the group was the worst part.

Edited by green
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, green said:

The show ended before he made any decision whatsoever except to freak out both God and Jesus with his wailing over a reality show move.  So no he wasn't walking anywhere except in circles in front of the signs.

This is about Keith again.  If you watch them try and get their snake up and over that cage in the water you can see him clearly off by himself to the left of the TV screen trying to climb out of the cage and ignoring the snake lifting chore.  Someone is shouting for him to come over and help them lift it up.  He kind of hesitates then starts to slowly move over to the rest of the group but they got it out and over before he finally got there. 

And yeah that is worse than the swimming part because at least he was trying to swim.  Then the final nail was his inability to throw the ring even close to the target of course but again he was trying.  But the lack of trying to help lift that heavy snake out in the water cage and totally ignoring the rest of the group was the worst part.

I totally believe Keith slacking off happened, I just didn't notice it myself.  I totally agree that a lack of effort is far worse than a lack of swimming ability or ring toss skill.  

20 hours ago, Special K said:

I'm actually confused by it.  When I saw Elohim, I surmised he is Jewish, but the Torah prohibits tattoos.  Maybe he's not very observant.

Hmm, interesting. Since the Torah prohibits tattoos, something like this makes me root for him (Chris) much LESS! It is disrespectful, even if the guy isn't Jewish. I wonder if he thinks he's cool because he has that tattoo. It doesn't make him cool; it makes him a douche.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

It is also possible the sand was wet from rain.

I've been in Fiji (more in Tonga though).  They had torrential rain the night(?) before, enough that they were comparing hand wrinkles.  She buried it very near some rocks and vegetation.  If areas with rooted plants are exposed to tide at all, it would be an extremely unusually high tide.  Even the texture of the sand looked to me more like higher up sand than actual right at the beach sand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SVNBob said:
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Does the camera man say it's been claimed when they first pick it up? 

This.

9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

What if someone finds Lauren's idol, knows it is Lauren's and hides it somewhere else or "accidentally" kicks it in the ocean?

TPTB will either retrieve the idol from the new hiding place and return it to Lauren, or give Lauren a new idol if it is lost.  The latter happened before back in One World.

:Yes.  Bill Posley found Colton Cumblie's idol and threw it into the ocean.  The idol was replaced.  None of this was shown on television BTW which is really annoying to me.  Obviously it affected game play and relations between the players, yet those of us back on the couch only found out about it in the boot interviews.

As SVNBob pointed out many questions of this kind are answered in the pinned Survivor Factions thread.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2019 at 3:06 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, but the original poster made it seem like black people who cannot swim being cast on this show happens all of the time, and I disagree with that.  If Gervase could not swim (I don't remember, it's been like 2 decades) and Osten DEFINITELY could not swim, that's two people, and I still say Keith can sort of swim, he's definitely not great at it.  3 people in 38 seasons does not a trend make.

Last season just happened and I can't for the life of me remember Bossy Natalie's swimming skills or lack thereof, so I don't think that really can be piled on this either.  

I'm all for diverse casting, so when an argument comes up like "They shouldn't cast black people who can't swim" I disagree, because for me, the more diversity the better.  A few people that are non-white are going to fall into stereotypes that white people have about them, unfortunately, and I don't find stereotypes useful, helpful, interesting, or important.  They're just stereotypes.  

I feel like Davie and Carl were fine at swimming.  So?  I don't really think Survivor casting people hunt for black people who can't swim to reinforce stereotypes.  I just don't buy into this one bit.

I think the problem is the show editors keep including the black people can't swim storyline, more often than they really need to.   It feels like if a black contestant ever said one thing regarding his/her swimming ability it always makes the final cut for the show, even if it's not relevant to the storyline.  

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I think the problem is the show editors keep including the black people can't swim storyline, more often than they really need to.   It feels like if a black contestant ever said one thing regarding his/her swimming ability it always makes the final cut for the show, even if it's not relevant to the storyline.  

But, how many "black people can't swim" storylines have there been in 38 seasons of Survivor?  Has it really been that common of an occurrence?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But, how many "black people can't swim" storylines have there been in 38 seasons of Survivor?  Has it really been that common of an occurrence?

Not at whole lot of storylines like this one.  But the show has shown multiple one-off comments from Black contestants usually in a joking manner about his/her ability of swim (either good or bad).   I'm horrible with names but the younger of the 2 black guys last season made a joke about being able to swim well.     My point was basically those are comments that could have been left on the cutting room floor along with the 99% of other stuff that gets cut.  I'm sure there's been more than a few poor or newbie swimmers of other races over the past 38 seasons, but not often commented on.   

• Love 2
10 hours ago, green said:

I noticed this, but I don’t think he was slacking off. I think he was going to climb out and go to the other side of the cage to pull down as they lifted up. It was just too early for that move.

12 hours ago, cherrypj said:

This article, Behind the scenes of a Survivor marooning, was amazing. There's a bit in there about Jimmy Quigley, the guy that actually hides the idols. I'm pretty sure he cleans out the holes and rocks thoroughly. I certainly would!

So he cleans out the holes where the idols are, but what about all the holes where the idols aren’t? Like some others, I’ve been waiting for someone to pull their hand out with a rat attached. 

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, Dominii said:

Hmm, interesting. Since the Torah prohibits tattoos, something like this makes me root for him (Chris) much LESS! It is disrespectful, even if the guy isn't Jewish. I wonder if he thinks he's cool because he has that tattoo. It doesn't make him cool; it makes him a douche.

I don’t remember who originally posted that Chris had that tattoo, but it’s not him, it’s Eric. (At least, I think so, based on these two pictures, but I can’t read Hebrew, so Chris could have the offending tattoo elsewhere for all I know.)

E1EA9873-FD58-4749-934C-7BFF96AF025A.thumb.jpeg.717b4a140579eab64b511f0234e0aa89.jpeg7D35DDAD-FBBE-48C7-81E9-54C9FA7657C3.thumb.jpeg.ac93402e66f723c2b2d8986d707de438.jpeg

Edited by Babalu
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, cherrypj said:

Im sure the esteemed Mr. Quigley does his job very well, but that doesn’t stop something from crawling into the hole and taking up residence after the HII is planted - and as @30 Helens noted, there’s every other fuckin’ hole on the island as well.

13 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Wardog might be something his buddies could call him, but asking others to call you that is suspect, at best, and referring to yourself as it with a "The" in front of it, should be a felony.  

One thing I don't get, is that wouldn't all his combat vet buddies also be as much of "Wardogs" as he is?  How did he get to be "The Wardog"? 

Well, you wouldn’t want Battlepup to be confused with just any old run-of-the-mill garden-variety Wardog, would you?  ;>

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/1/2019 at 3:32 AM, KimberStormer said:

Probst is inserting himself into things way too much this season. 

I forgot to comment on that but yeah, I think Probst was totally out of line heading the movement to vote out Keith., he pretty much railroaded him. Your job Mr. Probst is to listen and facilitate a converstaion, not to bring your own opinions and make them know to the tribes. You're not playing the game!

And add me to the list of people that cringe every time someone just starts reaching around in some random hole/tree's roots. *shudder*

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Babalu said:

I don’t remember who originally posted that Chris had that tattoo, but it’s not him, it’s Eric. (At least, I think so, based on these two pictures, but I can’t read Hebrew, so Chris could have the offending tattoo elsewhere for all I know.)

E1EA9873-FD58-4749-934C-7BFF96AF025A.thumb.jpeg.717b4a140579eab64b511f0234e0aa89.jpeg7D35DDAD-FBBE-48C7-81E9-54C9FA7657C3.thumb.jpeg.ac93402e66f723c2b2d8986d707de438.jpeg

I believe the tattoo that people were talking about was the one that says “III Elohim III”.  Chris is the one with that tattoo.  You can’t see in this picture because it’s on his right flank.  

Didnt notice that Eric has Hebrew characters on him... I would assume this means he is Jewish.   I can see why a guy of faith that isn’t Jewish might choose to get a tattoo of a Hebrew word for God.  But I would imagine that Eric is Jewish, which goes against the thing that people were saying that says Jews can’t get tattoos.   Maybe he’s not a very observant Jew, much in the same way I think plenty of people would consider themselves “bad Catholics”.

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, Dominii said:

The Old Testament of the Christian Bible also prohibits tattoos. Leviticus  is in both the OT and the Torah. Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourself."  Yet you see Christians with crosses tattooed on their bodies all the time.  People pick and choose from their religious texts all the time, the Torah, Bible  and Koran are all dense with rules and share many books.

I'm a Christian and I'm divorced, eat shrimp, wear clothes that blend two fabrics, don't cover my head in church ... I could fill this page. We're following a religion because we're trying to get better, there would be no point if we were already perfect. Keith wasn't wrong to be asking God to help him make his decision.  God ( to any believer) is omnipotent, he can care about the starving people in Africa and Keith's problems at the same time.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

The Old Testament of the Christian Bible also prohibits tattoos. Leviticus  is in both the OT and the Torah. Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourself."  Yet you see Christians with crosses tattooed on their bodies all the time.  People pick and choose from their religious texts all the time, the Torah, Bible  and Koran are all dense with rules and share many books.

I'm a Christian and I'm divorced, eat shrimp, wear clothes that blend two fabrics, don't cover my head in church ... I could fill this page. We're following a religion because we're trying to get better, there would be no point if we were already perfect. Keith wasn't wrong to be asking God to help him make his decision.  God ( to any believer) is omnipotent, he can care about the starving people in Africa and Keith's problems at the same time.

This isn't really a theology forum, but the New Testament makes it clear that Christians are not under the Old Testament Law.  The book of Galatians probably explains the Christian's relationship to the OT law the best.

• Love 3

I've always understood Galatians to be primarily about food laws plus promoting the idea that we are justified by Jesus and not by the law.  Paul's main concern there was that they not allow  trivial things  to keep converts away.  However, Jesus himself said, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.” Most of the Sermon on the Mountain was Jesus expanding on the law not throwing it out.  It's not all food rules for a hot climate, it's also the Ten Commandments. 

• Love 1

So my takeaway from this is that the initial alliances you make are far more important than actual skill?   There have been plenty of unathletic players in the first couple of episodes of every season who are shielded by the alliances they make.   The really skinny girls who can't do anything, the older people who aren't as fast, the ones that aren't great in the water etc. etc.   

Keith's flaw was going off with the misfits instead of staying with the main group.   His choice of alliance partners was not strong.  As a young, male he should have been able to skate by several episodes just based on his gender.

That and apparently you can live on an island by yourself for 3 days on a piece of coconut and a water well somewhere?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

That and apparently you can live on an island by yourself for 3 days on a piece of coconut and a water well somewhere?

General rule of thumb is a person can survive 3-4 weeks without food, but only 3-4 days without water.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

primarily about food laws

I mean, Paul's whole big political battle in the early church was on circumcision, which was the key sign of the covenant of Abraham.  I'm pretty sure Paul would include tattoos as a "trivial thing to keep converts away" as you say.

I'm not Christian or Jewish and I'm not going to say what anyone should or shouldn't think about tattoos; if we can hate people for the hats they wear(!) then I guess we can hate them for selectively applied Biblical prohibitions too.  But personally I would rather judge them by their fruits, and whether they grow me a good exciting season or a lame and boring one.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

the initial alliances you make are far more important than actual skill?

More important than challenge skills or actual survival skills; yes, to a certain degree.  They're helpful skills and will protect you some (see the Kama discussions of choosing between Joe and Aubry), but not forever.

But as said above, alliance making is a skill in and of itself.  And whomever can create the "better" alliance will usually last the longest, regardless of their challenge or survival skills, or lack thereof.  This is ancient Survivor knowledge, handed down from the naked wiseman* in the tree back in the first first episode.

*But not wise enough to make sure his taxes were paid.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I mean, Paul's whole big political battle in the early church was on circumcision

Agreed.  I started to say circumcision and food laws, but deleted the circumcision part because -- this gang. ;) I figured I'd derailed this thread enough already.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Agreed.  I started to say circumcision and food laws, but deleted the circumcision part because -- this gang. 😉 I figured I'd derailed this thread enough already.

Yeah, y’all might want to cut back on it a little. 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

if we can hate people for the hats they wear(!) 

I don't hate the hat, I am personally worried about heatstroke.  I am not sure of the sense of wearing a winter hat in Fiji.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't hate the hat, I am personally worried about heatstroke.  I am not sure of the sense of wearing a winter hat in Fiji.

Maybe at night, but yea during the day, it seems odd. When people wear those kind of hats in the summer it's a fashion thing, but on Survivor it's like why lol. But Victoria (Veronica? I forget.) seems like she's a little oddball-ish.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, cherrypj said:

Really long but some real great info.  There were 2 reward/advantages on the boat?  Plus a floating fishing kit disguised as an advantage?  And no one found them!?!?!?!?!

34 follow boats for the opening boat to island marooning holy cow.  They test everyone to make sure they can swim and have divers on hand. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, PaperTree said:

Ugh.  There is no point in having your cake unless you can eat it too.  Unless you can sell it on eBay or something.

Exactly! I've always despised this saying. Why in the hell would anyone want a piece of cake sitting in front of them that they can't eat?? Of course people are going to want their cake and eat it too. That's kinda the point of having cake! Whoever made up this saying is an dumbass. I don't know why soooooo many people use this idiotic phrase.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 6:08 PM, Lamb18 said:

Kind of weird, Keith was saying "Dang it!" over and over as he left tribal, but he can't decided whether to go to Extinction or leave the game. If he's so disappointed he's leaving, why doesn't he grab that flag and run for the boat?

Even weirder how he kept chanting "Oh Jesus, oh God" over & over while trying to decide whether to take the torch and continue in the game or not. I liked him, but after seeing that, I'm over him. What is the hold up? Most people wouldn't even think twice! Anyone who takes that long to make that decision doesn't want to be there that bad.

(edited)
22 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I've always understood Galatians to be primarily about food laws plus promoting the idea that we are justified by Jesus and not by the law.  Paul's main concern there was that they not allow  trivial things  to keep converts away.  However, Jesus himself said, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.” Most of the Sermon on the Mountain was Jesus expanding on the law not throwing it out.  It's not all food rules for a hot climate, it's also the Ten Commandments. 

Galatians refers to the Law as a whole.  Now, most of the 10 Commandments (with the exception of the Sabbath) are repeated in by Jesus and his Apostles in the NT.  

There is nothing in the NT about tattoos.  For the record, I don't care for tattoos and I personally believe that Christians getting religious tattoos with the intent of honoring God is misguided.  But, they are not forbidden.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
15 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

So my takeaway from this is that the initial alliances you make are far more important than actual skill?   There have been plenty of unathletic players in the first couple of episodes of every season who are shielded by the alliances they make.   The really skinny girls who can't do anything, the older people who aren't as fast, the ones that aren't great in the water etc. etc.   

Keith's flaw was going off with the misfits instead of staying with the main group.   His choice of alliance partners was not strong.  As a young, male he should have been able to skate by several episodes just based on his gender.

I'm not sure I agree.  Keith quickly abandoned the "misfit" alliance in episode 1, when he realized they were outnumbered.   

He was horrible in all 3 stages on the immunity challenge.  He couldn't swim, so Chris had to help him.  He wasn't much help getting the snake to shore (and showed a lack of effort at at least one point) and he was horrible in the ring toss.

Now, if you already have a rock solid, majority alliance, you can usually get away with being a liability in challenges.   But, in this case the alliances were fluid, and him being so weak in challenges was a big factor.   

(edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 6:06 PM, LanceM said:

Also hiding it in the jungle as opposed to hiding it in her bag where someone could find it is also very smart.

Really? I thought the opposite. Not only could the tide wash it away, but someone else could find it! She didn't even bury it that deep. When I was watching her do that, I was thinking...is this chick for real?? This will go down in history as one of the dumbest moves ever made on Survivor. Might as well say goodbye to that idol!

Edited by SallySarue
2 minutes ago, SallySarue said:

Really? I thought the opposite. Not only could the tide wash it away, but someone else could find it! She didn't even bury it that deep. When I was watching her do that, I was thinking...is this chick for real?? Might as well say goodbye to that idol!

If someone else finds it, production will tell them to put it back.   There have been many times where idols were discovered in the owners' bags or clothes. When this happens, the other players usually comment on what an idiot the person was for keeping the idol in his/her bag or pocket.

Hiding it in the sand gives her a much better chance of keeping it a secret.   

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

If someone else finds it, production will tell them to put it back.   There have been many times where idols were discovered in the owners' bags or clothes. When this happens, the other players usually comment on what an idiot the person was for keeping the idol in his/her bag or pocket.

Hiding it in the sand gives her a much better chance of keeping it a secret.

I thought the producers only make them put it back if they found it digging in someone else's personal property, which is probably against the rules, as it should be. But wouldn't the idol be fair play of it is found hidden out in the open like that, where everyone has a right to be looking? Otherwise, no one would ever be sure if the idol they found was really theirs, because they wouldn't know if someone else had found it first, and just rehid it where they found it.

Edited by SallySarue
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, NutmegsDad said:

I think, unless it's on their person or in their personal effects, it's fair game.

Lol...just came across this same discussion after reading further in the comments.

This is what I assumed as well. Wouldn't be fair otherwise, because any time someone found an idol, they would never really know if it was theirs to keep, which would spoil the whole point of having the idol.

Edited by SallySarue
43 minutes ago, SallySarue said:

But wouldn't the idol be fair play of it is found hidden out in the open like that, where everyone has a right to be looking?

No.  Look at the Survivor Facts thread pinned at the top of the forum.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

No.  Look at the Survivor Facts thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Then why doesn't everyone do this? Why would anyone take the chance of hiding it in their personal belongings, and having other people possibly find it or see you hide it, if the idol is just yours once you've "spoken for it," even if you technically/physically lose it? That doesn't seem to make any sense. 

I just read the facts thread, and it says the idol cannot be stolen from another player. I interpret that to mean that it cannot be stolen if it is stored ON the other person, or in their personal belongings. It doesn't say "the idol cannot be stolen if it is rehidden on some random part of the beach that doesn't belong to that person." That would be effed up if that were true. That would completely negate all of the safety & self-assurance that finding the idol provides (which is the whole point of the idol), because no one wouldn't ever know if it was really theirs to keep, or if someone had already found & rehid it. That just seems silly.

Edited by SallySarue
3 hours ago, SallySarue said:

Most people wouldn't even think twice! Anyone who takes that long to make that decision doesn't want to be there that bad.

Maybe he was thinking about having to swim/get assistance swimming trying not to drown again should he stay.

***MOD NOTE ***

Several posts were hidden due to being rude. It’s ok to have a difference of opinion and to state your own opinions. It’s not ok to tell other posters they are wrong. 

Also, several posts are off topic for THIS episode. Please keep your comments to this episode. If it’s about Survivor in general, but not this exact episode, please find the appropriate thread. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SallySarue said:

Then why doesn't everyone do this? Why would anyone take the chance of hiding it in their personal belongings, and having other people possibly find it or see you hide it, if the idol is just yours once you've "spoken for it," even if you technically/physically lose it? That doesn't seem to make any sense. 

I just read the facts thread, and it says the idol cannot be stolen from another player. I interpret that to mean that it cannot be stolen if it is stored ON the other person, or in their personal belongings. It doesn't say "the idol cannot be stolen if it is rehidden on some random part of the beach that doesn't belong to that person." That would be effed up if that were true. That would completely negate all of the safety & self-assurance that finding the idol provides (which is the whole point of the idol), because no one wouldn't ever know if it was really theirs to keep, or if someone had already found & rehid it. That just seems silly.

If you find an idol and then bury in the sand, and I come along and find it, and think it is up for grabs, production will tell me it belongs to someone and put it back.   I would have no false sense of security, thinking I had an idol, because I would be told right away that it was not mine to keep.     

• Love 1