Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Tiffany's Story

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really think this may be the dullest, most forgettable episode ever.  My husband saw the beginning, and the next day he asked "so did that lady lose any weight?"  And I had to stop and think about it, and I could barely even remember who the episode was about!  

21 hours ago, Twopper said:

Speaking of pizza, I can't believe they come home with a boatload of groceries then stop at McDonalds drive-thru and order $30 of fast food.  Two people can eat in a decent restaurant for that much at lunch time and get better food. 

Two people could also get several DAYS worth of food at a grocery store for that price!  

22 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

his woman went to culinary school. She has no excuse.

Well, "I went to culinary school" could really mean "I took two classes once and decided it wasn't for me."  I doubt she got anywhere near to FINISHING culinary school.

20 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Take a shot every time you hear a "right now."

You'd be dead by the halfway point of the episode!

Edited by 88Keys
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, thebigboot said:

This was the first one I truly got angry about, and it was because of one specific scene. The parking lot incident, now I’ve read through chat and I know a lot of you got angered to the woman. That wasn’t it for me it was Tiffany’s I’m handicapped comment. At 33 I have arthritis in both of my knees and in my back, I can’t tell you how many days I wake up in pain.

Yes, this made me angry, too. Tiffany 'disabled' herself (OK, she had some help from her parents early on). That harridan in the parking lot was not behaving charitably, but I can't blame her for judging an obvious drunkard who's blocking traffic as he staggers out of a liquor store. (IYKWIM)

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Well, "I went to culinary school" could really mean "I took two classes once and decided it wasn't for me."  I doubt she got anywhere near to FINISHING culinary school.

According to her she graduated and worked as a banquet chef until she got too fat to work.

• Love 4

They comment all the time about people staring at them but how many people have camera crews walking around with them?   

Also they went grocery shopping, stopped for burgers on the way home and then ordered pizza and she said her bf had to work 2 jobs to support them, and told Dr Now that they were on a limited budget when it came to food.

• Love 2
(edited)

For a young couple there was no life to them at all. Also, what is the attraction for a person to be in a relationship with someone who is not able to look after themselves, and whom you cannot be intimate with?  He was working two jobs to support them, and she was sitting around asking for more food. A $30 dollar fast food bill every day, several times a day would add up to a lot of money spent of junk food as well as what they spend grocery shopping. It doesn't makes sense to me. I don't get it. 

Tiffany was trained as a chef but had no desire to cook  meals. It would have saved them a lot of money, and would have been more nourishing to the body than eating fast food, and ice cream all day long. 

I love how Dr Now has no time for bs, and called out Tiffany on her lies:  "I only snack on yogurt, and grapes" She was so delusional about her eating habits. 

On moving day they were only half packed, and pathetically throwing crap in a box, and duct taping it together.  The 600 lb moving scenes always brings out the OCD in me. I could never leave packing up to the day of the move. Also, they left the apartment looking so rough. The carpet was absolutely vile looking when they left. I hope the landlord kept their damage deposit.  In Houston, I got upset over the state of her bedroom. I can't handle clutter. And don't get me started on people having NO FITTED SHEETS ON THE GD BED! 

Lola the therapist repeats the same mantra to every client. She makes a lot of assumptions during a short therapy session.  It is easy to lay blame everything on childhood issues, and sometimes it does apply, but not always. Also, Lola calling her client "Miss Tiffany" with that phone sex voice of hers made me cringe. 

The current formula for My 600lb Life needs to be changed. They use the same tired script week after week. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, this made me angry, too. Tiffany 'disabled' herself (OK, she had some help from her parents early on). That harridan in the parking lot was not behaving charitably, but I can't blame her for judging an obvious drunkard who's blocking traffic as he staggers out of a liquor store. (IYKWIM)

I am totally confused about the heckling parking lot woman.  Tiffany was obviously being filmed and I can't imagine anyone who would want to be caught on camera saying those things to some stranger.  That was really strange. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Take a shot every time you hear a "right now."

My trigger words are  "my journey"  every episode the same stupid phrase ...Oprah's writers come to mind..

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

It seemed to me that once Tiffany did begin to cook for herself, the food looked fairly appetizing, more so than what we usually see these folks manage, so perhaps her chef's training did kick in.  What caught my attention was how fast she was shoveling it all in her mouth, though - I think most people would gag and choke if they tried to put that many Brussels sprouts down their gullet so fast.  

I also thought Aaron was looking substantially larger towards the end.  The boyfriends/spouses always puzzle me, especially when the girlfriend was already obese from the outset, which is usually the case.  Related thought - when I was teaching 4th grade (retired 2015, so fairly recently), many if not most of my students were below 100 pounds at the end of the year when we measured weight and height for their records.  When I hear someone say she weighed 100 pounds at age 5 or 6, my jaw drops to the floor.  What is the matter with the parents of these kids??  

All of these Poundticipants are clearly reading when they narrate, not just speaking, and since the narratives all sound so similar, I think the participants are provided a script with spaces to fill in their own particular details. They sound so similar week to week, if I'm not looking at the screen I forget what this week's subject looks like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I hope that Lola has done more investigation into these dysfunctional family members before advising patients to open up about their complaints of childhood abuse/neglect. People can be dangerous and unpredictable. Who knows how they might react?  I'd be wary.  Is confrontation always safe?  Lola's spiel is a little too rehearsed, but, I suppose she thinks it gives her the appearance of competency. I happen to like her approach, though.  I think she does validate the patient and does come out and disagree with them at times. Some counselors seem too willing to agree with the patient.  I suppose the counselor knows that if the patient leaves feeling bad, they aren't likely to return, so you have to work on getting that esteem up. 

I wonder if anyone works with these patients on inner dialogue regarding their food choices.  Since, many have no real role models or anything to go by, I wonder if anyone provides them with things they can say to themselves when fighting old habits.  I heard a saying somewhere that I incorporated into my daily life and I use it with myself, friends, family, etc.  When offered unhealthy option, I respond, "No thank you.  It's not my friend."  That way, I don't have to go into a long explanation. Plus, it helps me stand firm in my choices if I see that fried chicken as working against me and not for me.  

And, I wonder if they ever consider setting aside one day or one meal each week to have something they really want, but, isn't that healthful.   I have to have a treat meal or snack each week to stay focused. The rest of my life with no treats would never work for me. I guess all of this comes under coping strategies.  Most of them seem to really lack in it.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

As they were getting ready to board the plane instead of going to the bathroom she ordered her boyfriend to get her a burger and fries. He kind of rolled his eyes like all he does is get her food. She needed something for the plane. Of course when she got off the plane, she said she was starving! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

As they were getting ready to board the plane instead of going to the bathroom she ordered her boyfriend to get her a burger and fries. He kind of rolled his eyes like all he does is get her food. She needed something for the plane. Of course when she got off the plane, she said she was starving! 

Anybody who has every used a restroom on a airplane or a train ,knows the restrooms are not built for people over 250lbs ... or people over 6ft

Edited by AVM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:29 AM, AVM said:

She would have had to eaten  a entire grape vineyard ...to be that size ..

Maybe the grapes were in disguise--as chocolate covered raisins.

I'm constantly amazed at these poundticipants who try to minimize their food consumption; who do they think they're fooling?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I don't think she realized that she likely had time to go to restroom after boarding started.  It takes a while. But, eating a big old burger on the plane....I would think that might have turned some heads. I kept hoping that she didn't have to go #2.  lol  Now that would have been a problem. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

As to sheets on the beds, it is next to impossible for someone over 600 lbs. to keep a fitted sheet on. You sink in so much, and don’t lift yourself to move, so they pop off immediately. I sewed two sheets together with a zipper opening on the end to get around the problem. I started being able to keep a regular fitted sheet on when I got below 500 lbs. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, thebigboot said:

This was the first one I truly got angry about, and it was because of one specific scene. The parking lot incident, now I’ve read through chat and I know a lot of you got angered to the woman. That wasn’t it for me it was Tiffany’s I’m handicapped comment. At 33 I have arthritis in both of my knees and in my back, I can’t tell you how many days I wake up in pain. Yet I still average (according to my pedometer) over 3 miles a day. I get she’s obese but once (or if) she’s gets down to a normal weight she’ll be able to walk without issue, I don’t get that luxury. I know it’s such a little nitpick but it really angered me.

As someone who was hit by a drunk driver and is living a life of extreme pain,  I got a bit upset too.   She has self inflicted handicap that by losing a few hundred pounds,  could be helped.   I, in the other hand,  like you,  TheBigBoot,  will still be living in this unrelenting pain.  

Has anyone else noticed a change in the way Dr. No talks?  

• Love 3

I think she must have had an incontinence pad on.  I can see how she wouldn’t want to fully urinate in (on?) one, but also not leave a puddle or need anything more than underwear changed after going on (in?) one.  Without doxing myself, I’ve done some academic research on these kinds of shows/participants, which leads to some rabbit holes, and I found that tips for overweight travelers often include wearing incontinence pads in case of emergency.  

While folks are here to snark, her error was in not heading to the bathroom sooner, not in sending Aaron for food.  Airport bathroom lines can suddenly be lengthy when several flights disembark at the same time.  As an inexperienced traveler, she probably thought 5 mins before boarding was plenty of time, but it wasn’t.  Since she was a preboard passenger, and likely needed bulkhead as well as two seats, she couldn’t just walk on mid boarding process.  Heck, when I’m flying SWA I never board late.  If I’m not early enough to get a exit row, I’m surely not going to be in a middle seat just for one last bathroom break (granted, I can use the airplane lav.)  Tiffany was never going to go find her own food, so she didn’t sacrifice one for the other. And he didn’t bring a drink, so the salt could have only dehydrated her. 

The fast food followed by pizza baffles me.   It’s been suggested (if not claimed) that the fast food consumed on camera is paid for by production.   Logically, that makes sense.  One would think people would have too much pride to order such foods when they are on camera  - why not save 2 pizzas and a calzone until after the crew leaves?  But, if someone else is paying, I can see how the addiction would take over.   They can get what they really want without worrying about paying, perhaps?  If they are REALLY regularly getting $30 of fast food and then (guessing) $30 of pizza delivery immediately after, then her “can’t afford healthy food” is insulting, at best.  I spend about $60 per person on a week’s worth of food.  I’m all about convenience, too, so I know I could be saving more if I was deboning my own chicken vs. ready made raw, seasoned, stuffed, whatever chicken to throw in the oven after work.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe.  It's hard to say who is eating to drown feelings and who is eating because they love eating, even if it is crappy food. I notice that many patients, such as Tiffany tell Dr. Now that they are emotional eaters.....what does that mean?  They appear to eat regardless of their emotions.  I mean, if they tracked back 5 years, would there be one day that they didn't eat an enormous amount of food?  I'm no expert, so, I don't know how that works, but, if you eat regardless of the emotion or in the absence of any emotion, is that emotional eating or just addiction?

I think a lot of the things they say (just like people in general) are psych buzzwords that sound good - "I'm an emotional eater" sounds nicer than "I just love junk food".  People love to call themselves "chocoholics" (although for this particular subset of people they may actually BE so addicted to chocolate that it's ruining their lives 😄 ) And my personal favorite, "I'm so busy taking care of others that I don't take care of myself."  Ha!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

The one that wears glasses,And always has the “ I’d rather be anywhere else but here” look on her face all the time? I’ve always found her a little intriguing. 

I bet she has a lot of interesting stories!

I always wonder what she's thinking. Never knew her name until last week! (And I thought I saw her early in the episode; the first doctor visit, maybe. I could be wrong.)

7 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

And don't get me started on people having NO FITTED SHEETS ON THE GD BED! 

Even the night I came down with the flu I managed to put sheets back on my bed before collapsing in it (and I was sorely tempted to just sleep on the mattress pad with just the comforter). (I had done laundry earlier in the evening at my parents', then around 8pm it hit me and all I wanted was to sleep.)

• Love 3
21 hours ago, newyawk said:

I hope that greasyhaired, homeless looking bitch in the parking lot that called Tiffany rude and impolite, and who had the entire empty parking lot to drive around her, somehow sees this episode on tv and sees what an asshole she comes across as.

I don't live in America and I hope it isn't normal for literal randos to mouth off to strangers like that in a parking lot but I am enraged. Nothing else matters to me regarding this episode because I am so bloody mad. I have never seen anything like it. Tiffany was simply walking slowly through a wide open parking lot, minding her own business and some hag feels free to speak to her like that? Unbelievable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Friday said:

Maybe the grapes were in disguise--as chocolate covered raisins.

I'm constantly amazed at these poundticipants who try to minimize their food consumption; who do they think they're fooling?  

Singing softly to myself.... "You're fooling yourself and you don't believe it"

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, GoldaVining said:

I don't live in America and I hope it isn't normal for literal randos to mouth off to strangers like that in a parking lot but I am enraged. Nothing else matters to me regarding this episode because I am so bloody mad. I have never seen anything like it. Tiffany was simply walking slowly through a wide open parking lot, minding her own business and some hag feels free to speak to her like that? Unbelievable.

If it makes you feel better, I live in New Jersey and I've never seen something like that. And we don't exactly have a reputation for being the most polite people in the country.

What I don't get is the "you're rude and inconsiderate" bit. For...walking across a parking lot? I mean, sure, I get annoyed by slow people sometimes, though I have more patience for people who clearly have trouble walking than those who are just not paying attention (like the people who meander diagonally across the lane so it takes them as long as possible...just walk straight across, dammit! and get off your phone and watch where you're going!). Even a person whose problem is likely self-inflicted to some degree (like just being hugely overweight because you eat all day long). I mean, just because you ultimately did this to yourself doesn't mean you can suddenly start jogging because there are people waiting for you to cross. And, well, they have just as much right to cross the lot as any other person. It's not rude to simply be slow (unless you're doing it on purpose to hold people up).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 11

This is not to offend anyone, but I will point out that anyone who cannot walk more than five minutes without experiencing excruciating pain, and needs to use a scooter to get around, as the morbidly obese many times have to, is disabled. It may be temporary, it may be of their own making, but the fact is that if they are not fully or ably mobile, then yes, they are disabled in that respect. A kid who breaks his leg and his arm skiing is also (temporarily) disabled, and you could also blame him for that too. This is splitting hairs over a word that actually does apply to some of these people, especially to the people who cannot move at all from their beds.  

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, GoldaVining said:

Exactly. That woman was off her rocker irrational and beyond rude--she had the whole empty lot to drive around Tiffany. I think she was probably having a shitty day and saw a big fat person and thought, "Oh, good, there's someone I can take it out on." Or she really may be that way all the time, in which case, yikes.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, newyawk said:

Exactly. That woman was off her rocker irrational and beyond rude--she had the whole empty lot to drive around Tiffany. I think she was probably having a shitty day and saw a big fat person and thought, "Oh, good, there's someone I can take it out on." Or she really may be that way all the time, in which case, yikes.

I suppose she could be a plant from TLC to add drama. 

Nah, a reality show would never do that, right?

• LOL 9
  • Love 8

What irritates me with every show, are when these people and "helpers" who move to Houston to assist their loved one in losing weight feel free to keep bringing their own shitty food into the apartment or eating it in front of the weight loss patient. It is so damn passive aggressive and really, sabotaging.

It would be nice to see Dr. Now or someone emphasize to these partners that they cannot bring the restricted and trigger foods into the apartment or have them anywhere around the patient until the patient has had enough time to adapt to a new diet, loses their cravings,  and is not as easily triggered by junk crap. It will throw the patient off course in the beginning. I watched Tiffany go through her refrigerator, closets and freezer showing the camera all the forbidden stuff her boyfriend insisted on bringing home and I got mad again. If you have to have pizza, eat it on your lunch break at work. Need chips? Eat em in the car, or after she's asleep, whatever.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I do believe she did.  I don't think it was a high caliber culinary school, but why not a culinary arts program at the local community college?  

(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think the ordering of fast foods by Tiffany and others is more about addiction to it, than hunger, convenience or TASTE. 

I'm not sure why so many people are still crazy about fast food fries.  They no longer taste good, imo.  Here's an article on how McDonald's changed it's cooking oil over the years.  And in 2007 it finally went into the no trans-fat oil (NY banned trans-fat oil) and they are terrible now, imo.  I never order fries out, because to me they are as tasteless as the packaging.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/casual/why-mcdonalds-french-fries-used-to-taste-a-lot-better/ar-BBJk8mW

Right on point about those McDonalds fries. Bleh! A few years ago I told a young woman in her twenties that I thought McDonalds fries were awful and she gasped in horror since she thought they were amazing. I didn't have the heart to tell her--she was a vegetarian--that what made them really amazing was that they were originally fried in BEEF FAT. OMG, those things were good at room temperature.

I know that they are addicted to fast food but if they aren't addicted to it because of hunger, convenience or taste, exactly what are they addicted to? Frankly, when they're shown shoveling that shit into their mouths it sure seems like they love the taste of it.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I am totally confused about the heckling parking lot woman.  Tiffany was obviously being filmed and I can't imagine anyone who would want to be caught on camera saying those things to some stranger.  That was really strange. 

Her face wasn't blurred out, either.  I'm thinking plant.  I mean, she would have had to sign off on having her face shown if she really was a random person, I think.

20 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

All of these Poundticipants are clearly reading when they narrate, not just speaking, and since the narratives all sound so similar, I think the participants are provided a script with spaces to fill in their own particular details. They sound so similar week to week, if I'm not looking at the screen I forget what this week's subject looks like. 

They absolutely are.  Even reality shows have writers.  I'm thinking My 600-lb Life needs to hire some new ones.  

11 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

I wouldn't say it's "normal" here, but it happens occasionally.  I'm guessing it happens more often to people who are big and/or handicapped.  I had a lady yell something out her window at me because she wanted my parking space (I think?), and I was taking too long loading my kids into their carseats.  She drove off in a huff, even though there were lots of other open spots.  Some people just suck.

11 hours ago, newyawk said:

What irritates me with every show, are when these people and "helpers" who move to Houston to assist their loved one in losing weight feel free to keep bringing their own shitty food into the apartment or eating it in front of the weight loss patient. It is so damn passive aggressive and really, sabotaging.

I agree that they need to knock it off in the beginning.  However, all of these Poundticipants have to learn to stick to their diet despite temptation being around them, because there will always be temptations for the rest of their lives.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, newyawk said:

It would be nice to see Dr. Now or someone emphasize to these partners that they cannot bring the restricted and trigger foods into the apartment or have them anywhere around the patient until the patient has had enough time to adapt to a new diet, loses their cravings,  and is not as easily triggered by junk crap. It will throw the patient off course in the beginning. I watched Tiffany go through her refrigerator, closets and freezer showing the camera all the forbidden stuff her boyfriend insisted on bringing home and I got mad again. If you have to have pizza, eat it on your lunch break at work. Need chips? Eat em in the car, or after she's asleep, whatever.

I have to agree with you on the boldface. Maybe, it's not applicable with a less obese patient, but, with the morbidly obese who are losing weight to survive, I do think the family members should sacrifice not bringing prohibited foods into the apt. The patient will eventually have to learn to resist some foods in their presence, but, in the early days, when they are qualifying for surgery.....it's just disrespectful to the patient, imo.  If they HAVE to keep some things, they should keep it in a locked box or locked up in the car. It just says to me that the family member is not raking the whole thing seriously. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 5:51 PM, Kaia40 said:

Who the hell does she think she’s talking to when she demanded and screamed at the workers pushing in the wheelchair off of the plane “You all NEED to get me to a bathroom NOW.” It’s not their fault that you’re 700 pounds and can’t get yourself to a bathroom!! Did you see like 3 people scramble while trying to push her FAT ASS! So happy that she went in her pants. Karma at its best!

Those workers scrambled to get her to the restroom like they were afraid they'd have to change her if she didn't make it. lol  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

As someone who was hit by a drunk driver and is living a life of extreme pain,  I got a bit upset too.   She has self inflicted handicap that by losing a few hundred pounds,  could be helped.   I, in the other hand,  like you,  TheBigBoot,  will still be living in this unrelenting pain.  

Has anyone else noticed a change in the way Dr. No talks?  

Yes ,Dr.Now  No longer babies them and speaks his mind to the enablers ,even commenting on their weight.. He is a straight shooting Texan and I love him for it.. We need more doctors like Dr.Now

• Love 8

Dr. Now is an expert, but, why do you think they seem to wait so long before looking at psychological issues, nutritionists, etc.  It seems he starts with them AFTER the surgery. Maybe, it's insurance or something. 

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, frieswiththat said:

I have never seen someone eat as many DOUBLE quarter pounders with cheese in one day . They are huge and that's not counting all the other food. She really could do some eating, all.day.long......

You don't get to be 678lbs living on Yogurt,Crackers and Grapes  ! as she stated lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

You know these patients MUST have seen at least a couple of episodes of this show.  WHY can't they just say, 'I eat enormous amounts of food all the time."   Which is normally the truth.  Can they actually believe that a medical professional is going to think that they eat moderate food most of the time and then over eat at other times? It boggles the mind!  Dr. Now knows how many calories they are consuming.  He comes out and tells them they are delusional.  But, I've never known him to suggest a food log of what they eat.  That's a great thing, imo.  It really helped me when I first lost some weight. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

I don't think it's normal at all - people might gripe in their cars but usually I see people being polite to slow crossers.  And it's my opinion that even a big jerk would think twice before saying something in front of an entire camera crew.  We are supposed to forget that the camera crew is there but I know they are and that's why I always think that sort of thing is staged.

• Love 4

I meant that she was so focused on getting her food at the airport that she forgot to think about lining up to use the bathroom.  Not that she picked one over the other, but she should have got on the bathroom line no matter what. She made sure she had her food but not that she went to pee before a flight that she can't fit in the bathroom.  I cannot believe she didn't go to the bathroom. She did mostly likely have to be boarded when they said (first) and didn't have the luxury of coming on later like the rest of us could. She was probably first to board. She could have asked her husband to have them wait a second so she could pee. She could have cut the line- said sorry my plane is leaving. I would have been okay with that. I know that would have made her more the center of attention.  I am just someone who has been stuck on planes having to pee really bad and its something to be avoided at all costs. I usually go 10 times before I get on just in case they don' t let us get up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, Pondlass1 said:

It always amazes me that these women have boyfriends. And those boyfriends wipe their butts and only want to please.  They get them the food because they love them and don't want to upset them.  

Why can't I find boyfriends like this?  I'd starve to death if I sat about yelling for food to be brought to me.

Yuck! he sat right down in that wheelchair after she admitted she'd just peed herself.  It was the only WTF moment in another dull episode.

The series needs a shake up and change of formula.  It's same shit different obese.

I am playing armchair psychiatrist here: These men must have severe “mother” issues and they like to be submissive OR they like having someone be so dependent on them. It is truly astonishing that most of these enormous, self-centered women can find decent men that they absolutely do not appreciate one iota. Unrelated but did anyone notice she kept saying GOALbladder?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 3/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, CousinOliver said:

I think she must have had an incontinence pad on.  I can see how she wouldn’t want to fully urinate in (on?) one, but also not leave a puddle or need anything more than underwear changed after going on (in?) one.  Without doxing myself, I’ve done some academic research on these kinds of shows/participants, which leads to some rabbit holes, and I found that tips for overweight travelers often include wearing incontinence pads in case of emergency.  

Almost everyone I know over 65 or who has mobility issues wears an incontinence pad or a depends when traveling via airport. None of these people are close to 600lbs but to me that is a normal part of traveling when you are elderly or have mobility concerns. 

I am NOT saying that all people in those situations must use incontienice products, I am saying it’s just a taboo in our culture (unnecessarily) many many people use them; nothing to be ashamed of. 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, newyawk said:

This is not to offend anyone, but I will point out that anyone who cannot walk more than five minutes without experiencing excruciating pain, and needs to use a scooter to get around, as the morbidly obese many times have to, is disabled. It may be temporary, it may be of their own making, but the fact is that if they are not fully or ably mobile, then yes, they are disabled in that respect. A kid who breaks his leg and his arm skiing is also (temporarily) disabled, and you could also blame him for that too. This is splitting hairs over a word that actually does apply to some of these people, especially to the people who cannot move at all from their beds.  

I agree. If someone is disabled and needs care or assistance with daily tasks, then they need help and should be helped. Period. It doesn’t matter how they became disabled, they are a human being and deserve to be treated with dignity. 

Thats completly separate from enabling addictive behavior that’s harmful. You don’t buy a cocaine addict cocaine, but you can make sure they have access to a shower & toilet facilities. 

Of course that’s no excuse for the participants who are evil and mean to their caregivers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 3/1/2019 at 11:34 PM, ams1001 said:

If it makes you feel better, I live in New Jersey and I've never seen something like that. And we don't exactly have a reputation for being the most polite people in the country.

What I don't get is the "you're rude and inconsiderate" bit. For...walking across a parking lot? I mean, sure, I get annoyed by slow people sometimes, though I have more patience for people who clearly have trouble walking than those who are just not paying attention (like the people who meander diagonally across the lane so it takes them as long as possible...just walk straight across, dammit! and get off your phone and watch where you're going!). Even a person whose problem is likely self-inflicted to some degree (like just being hugely overweight because you eat all day long). I mean, just because you ultimately did this to yourself doesn't mean you can suddenly start jogging because there are people waiting for you to cross. And, well, they have just as much right to cross the lot as any other person. It's not rude to simply be slow (unless you're doing it on purpose to hold people up).

Heh, I live in Florida and randos yell shit at me (and sometimes my dogs) on the regular. Most of the time it’s a tourist, sometimes it’s a sassy senior in Publix who wants to shame me for not using coupons or buying Boar’s Head at the deli, but it’s always a treat when it’s one of our own all stars just being a douche. Ah, Florida. You complete me, lol. 

That woman in the parking lot - I don’t get being horrible just to be horrible. I can snark on the folks on this show and all, but when I see someone who is struggling just to exist in public my first instinct is to help, not yell, good god. Like the whole plane drama most of them have - the whining is insane, but honestly, if someone filmed me while traveling, I don’t think I’d like the results, lol. Doesn’t make their travel scenes any more fun to watch - I ffwd through most of the travel scenes anymore. 

• Love 7
On 3/1/2019 at 11:37 AM, 88Keys said:

I really think this may be the dullest, most forgettable episode ever. 

I don't know, Brandon's episode was so boring I turned it off before he ever left for Houston, lol. 

• LOL 1
On 3/2/2019 at 8:14 AM, 88Keys said:

I wouldn't say it's "normal" here, but it happens occasionally.  I'm guessing it happens more often to people who are big and/or handicapped.  I had a lady yell something out her window at me because she wanted my parking space (I think?), and I was taking too long loading my kids into their carseats.  She drove off in a huff, even though there were lots of other open spots.  Some people just suck.

Last Fall on a beautiful afternoon a yeti ish woman ask if I was leaving my parking space NOW! I told her I was thinking about, but decided it was such a lovely day and all that I've decided to catch up on some reading, maybe do my taxes, etc..... 😀

• LOL 12
On 3/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Almost everyone I know over 65 or who has mobility issues wears an incontinence pad or a depends when traveling via airport.

Hmm.  I'm 65. I've never worn an adult diaper.  I try not to drink too much, but that's more because getting to the bathroom on a packed plane is a pain. I wonder if I should buy a pack and see what it feels like? I can't imagine peeing in one on purpose - do the people you know just wet their pants while sitting on the plane or is it to catch an accident?  Questions, questions...

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aliya said:

Hmm.  I'm 65. I've never worn an adult diaper.  I try not to drink too much, but that's more because getting to the bathroom on a packed plane is a pain. I wonder if I should buy a pack and see what it feels like? I can't imagine peeing in one on purpose - do the people you know just wet their pants while sitting on the plane or is it to catch an accident?  Questions, questions...

It’s to catch an accident. Of course making it to the restroom is always preferable but that isn’t always possible if you don’t have the bladder control you you used to have. Many pregnant women use them as well- the fetus kicking on your bladder can be a doozy. 

I was just expanding on what @CousinOliver was saying regarding the use of incontience products- they are widely used by a variety of people. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, aliya said:

@Scarlett45 didn't say everyone over 65 wears adult diapers on planes, just those with mobility issues.  There are many older men with prostate issues who also do this.  It allows them the freedom to fly without being afraid of having an accident.  Hell, I'm not close to 65 and there are times on some flights when the seat belt light never turns off and my bladder is ready to burst.  So I totally get it.

• Love 3
On 3/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Last Fall on a beautiful afternoon a yeti ish woman ask if I was leaving my parking space NOW! I told her I was thinking about, but decided it was such a lovely day and all that I've decided to catch up on some reading, maybe do my taxes, etc..... 😀

Had something very similar happen. I was "taking too long" loading my groceries into the car so these young women who wanted my parking spot jumped out and started "helping" me. It really pissed me off, because load my cart and my car in a VERY SPECIFIC ORDER (why, yes, I am related to Sheldon Cooper) so that I can unload all my refrigerated stuff first and put it away before loading out all the other items. 

• Love 3

The voice overs are getting annoying - and it is hilarious to me to hear when they do the voice over because they sound so much more intelligent. That is how I know it is scripted.   Many are so uneducated, and they only sound articulate in the voice overs.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, sempervivum said:

I thought the boyfriend was kind of cute- beautiful hair, tall and broad shouldered. I wonder what went wrong in his life that he would settle for a snaggle-toothed, lazy human beach ball.

🤣😂🤣  Yeah, I think Aaron was quite good looking (especially before he gained the weight) and seemed like a decent person.  I don't think Christian was bad looking either.  And neither seem like the typical 'feeder' type.  But neither seemed 'in love' with either partner, like another pounder posted - they don't have that look in their eye that people in love usually have.  Maybe they just feel like being in a relationship is better than being alone.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, newyawk said:

I hope that greasyhaired, homeless looking bitch in the parking lot that called Tiffany rude and impolite, and who had the entire empty parking lot to drive around her, somehow sees this episode on tv and sees what an asshole she comes across as.

I noticed snarky sideeye office assistant wasn't on this week, lol. I wonder if she was pulled aside and spoken to. 

1 - I doubt this was an actual incident. Must've been a TLC set up.

2- Ahhh!  I so totally missed Kassandra on this episode.  I love her looks, like she is just about to start laughing during the weigh-ins where the people gain.  She's like the best part!

• Love 1