Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Lost

• Start Topic

I can't believe Fiona is letting the smarmy real estate guy take advantage of her again. If he's going to "buy her out", it means she's only getting back what she invested, and he's going to make a ton of profit in 6-12 months. I know this is setting up the storyline of her leaving the show, but still.

I hate all the adults for not noticing that Liam has been gone for two days, briefly being "worried" about him, then forgetting about him again by dinnertime. That said, his friend's grandma is too permissive. She should have asked Liam for Fiona's number so she could call and check if it was OK for Liam to stay that long.

Debbie, the reason nobody loves you is because you are the kind of person who tries to poach her brother's girlfriend. She has no sense of boundaries and takes everything too far (and has since the very beginning of the show when she stole a baby), which is why I've never liked her as a character. Also, FFS, stop confining Frannie to that playpen for hours at a time. She's outgrown it a long time ago.

• Love 11
(edited)
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I can't believe Fiona is letting the smarmy real estate guy take advantage of her again. If he's going to "buy her out", it means she's only getting back what she invested, and he's going to make a ton of profit in 6-12 months. I know this is setting up the storyline of her leaving the show, but still.

She hit rock bottom. She needs the money now. The $100k is her way out. Bye Fiona.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

Fiona tells Liam she has to run out so he has to fend for himself for breakfast, Liam isn’t in his room and isn’t anywhere in the house. And Fiona gets concerned. Oh fiona Liam has been mia for two weeks. 

Why did fiona act shocked when frank said they were regarding down the apartment building? Didn’t she know this already? When she was starting her spiral didn’t she read a sign saying this was happening?

Also Fiona  And Debbie were pretty blasé about not being able to get a hold of Liam honestly. I mean maybe off sceen they have seen him but we haven’t seen him two weeks and a part of me thinks these characters haven’t either. And them just calling and texting. I get they have other things going on by really.. actually no, the only one who didn’t was Debbie and all se was doing was shopping and she could have looked for her little brother.

Also seeing where Liam was, with a nice family. And hearing him say it’s  been two days.. that’s better then the two weeks we haven’t seen him. But still. His family sucks. He needs to get the hell away from them, actually. I’m not really sure where this is funny and I think it’s supposed to be.

Did the show remember fiona got arrested once? Because they of did in that meeting with the prohibition officer.

Kevin veronica and the twins are on a different show that’s full of whacky sitcom hijinks. “It’s not 1 little girl.. it’s two!! They’re twins!”

Also Debbie is annoying. They were doing quite good with her at the start of this season- although maybe if she was just all the other stories were super terrible, she was better by comparison.

Frank is annoying too. What was the point of this storyline? To have frank get surgery by an intern? Because ha ha funny. 

It was kind of nice for Fiona to see her old coworker at the meeting she went to.

Also Debbie is terrible. I didn’t feel bad for her  at all when kelly rejected her and she looked all sad. Whatever. 

Seriously. Kevin and Vee and the occupants of The bar are clearly on  a different show.

I was happily surprised that Fiona’s old coworker didn’t offer her a job back at the diner and Fiona didn’t ask for one. I feel like if the second option happened we were supposed to going for a feel bad for fiona moment when Fiona made more than a scene at the diner when she was fired.

Oh right, Fiona and Lip actually have a conversation. I’m assuming Lip has heard of Al anon before.. he did rehab so I assume they talked about it.

So Fiona for a job at the pawn shop. 

Also debbie crying.. whatever. Are we supposed to feel bad? Also Debbie the reason people aren’t falling in love with you is because you’re forcing people into bad situations. Her first sexual experience, her even getting pregnant. It’s hard to feel bad.

So fiona will leave with all that mlney? That’s her send off?

• Love 2

Thing I can’t get over is that Debbie was this sweet girl, the only one who stood up for Frank and took care of the little kid.

Then she hits puberty, gets boy crazy, gets knocked up, then decides she likes girls, then becomes at times a raging bitch.  Now a sad sack about not having some9ne to love her.

The writers have been all over the place with her character.

Does every Gallagher, except Liam so far, have to be inclined towards outlandish or self destructive behavior?  Apparently they do.

But Shameless only seems to know this one note.  They must keep reminding each other in the writers room the name of the show.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, scrb said:

Thing I can’t get over is that Debbie was this sweet girl, the only one who stood up for Frank and took care of the little kid.

Then she hits puberty, gets boy crazy, gets knocked up, then decides she likes girls, then becomes at times a raging bitch.  Now a sad sack about not having some9ne to love her.

Let's not forget, she's also a rapist.

This episode had an odd tone for Shameless. It was almost bittersweet.

• Love 1

They really did Ruin the Debbie character(although as a small point she really idolized Frank when she was little up until she became a teenager, I remember her helping him as a little irl a lot of the time and when he ended up in Mexico for a little bit in season opener, she was the only kid worried about him).

All the same she was really smart then she got pregnant and ended up really stupid. I remember after having Franny she tried to bring her screaming crying baby into a classroom and was confused and angry when the teacher wouldn’t allow it. Like thats just common sense and I think again the show was trying to be funny. That’s the thing, the show has these moments where it’s trying to be funny but it’s not working. Case in point everyone forgetting about Liam for two days. What? That’s not funny. At all. 

Crack heads with ADHD write this show! 

(And, they hate the fans).

Twins- Ok, they are like the Bush Twins!   If the nuns cannot figure out they are two different little girls....then do not have hope for the education at this school.

The cross storyline is d.u.m.b.

We did not to see V and Kev phuk.  

Anything not to give the Twins more airtime/storyline......I guess.

Lip’s pregnant GF......  Ok, WTF??  Her storyline is pregnancy!  Why are y’all on the BRCA gene?  This is Shameless!  Not Dr. Oz.

Debbie-  Is Franny a blond baby and her hair is dyed red?  Because, that babies hair looks magenta  and kinda fake.  

I guess the show could not bother with identical twins or a natural redhead baby.

Fiona-  I cannot get pass her pallor and homeliness. Next!

I am confuse about the glass window. It only covered her head. I guess a bullet to the heart is Ok.

Liam- they didn’t even bother to write him a script for this episode.  Poor little guy.  He sat on a couch, ate biscuits and played video games.  

(It was obvious for some reason he could not film with the cast that week.)

Frank-  he usually has the best storyline during the seasons.  But, wtf??

this season it is horrible.  From the 6 babies, Hobo Loco to an uninsured drunk needing surgery..??? 

Do we we need to be on magic mushrooms to watch this show?

Storylines lead no where.

I am hooked on SMILF now. This fills my Shameless void.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

They really did Ruin the Debbie character(although as a small point she really idolized Frank when she was little up until she became a teenager, I remember her helping him as a little irl a lot of the time and when he ended up in Mexico for a little bit in season opener, she was the only kid worried about him).

All the same she was really smart then she got pregnant and ended up really stupid. I remember after having Franny she tried to bring her screaming crying baby into a classroom and was confused and angry when the teacher wouldn’t allow it. Like thats just common sense and I think again the show was trying to be funny. That’s the thing, the show has these moments where it’s trying to be funny but it’s not working. Case in point everyone forgetting about Liam for two days. What? That’s not funny. At all. 

I don't know that they ruined her as much as emphasized the negative parts of her character which always existed.  She was book smart and especially street smart.  However, when she was an impressionable child, the person she looked up to the most was Holly Herkimer.  The kid she had a crush on was Hank Jr.  Her few friends in school included a pregnant 13 year-old who didn't exactly warn her about the negative outcomes from sex.  Debbie was sweet and cute, but she was also those other things.  Like you said, they've just decided to focus on "annoying" even to the point she forgets about or ignores Franny.  Like another poster said earlier, we weren't actually supposed to feel sorry for her right?  Carl was well within his rights to let the cold shoulder extend several more days and even weeks.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, chocolatine said:

Debbie, the reason nobody loves you is because you are the kind of person who tries to poach her brother's girlfriend. She has no sense of boundaries and takes everything too far (and has since the very beginning of the show when she stole a baby), which is why I've never liked her as a character. Also, FFS, stop confining Frannie to that playpen for hours at a time. She's outgrown it a long time ago.

This is so true.  The only person who has ever "loved" Deb was Neal.  At least the writers have been consistent on that point.

15 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Why did fiona act shocked when frank said they were regarding down the apartment building? Didn’t she know this already? When she was starting her spiral didn’t she read a sign saying this was happening?

So fiona will leave with all that mlney? That’s her send off?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the notice that Fiona saw was that the retirement community into which she had invested was "coming soon."  I think that's why she started drinking with the old lady on the street.  This was divorced from the apartment building completely.  Fiona had already signed over her interest in the apartment building to Max in exchange for $292k.  She was done with it, if I recall.

I think there was a lot of viewer confusion on the apartment building vs the retirement community (let alone the church that Fiona flipped in S8).  I hate to be tacky enough to quote my own post, but on January 21, in "The Alibi  Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree" thread,  I wrote, 

"Fiona's downfall also makes no sense to me.  Max gave her $292k for the apartment building so that she could raise the additional $25k for the retirement home and pay the mortgage on the Gallagher home.  Then she gets all bent out of shape to see that he listed it for $175k, aka at a huge loss?? Did I read that scene right?  Because of the deal Fiona made with Max, she still does have her ownership interest in the retirement home, on which building was delayed a year because of the permit situation, which means it's still going to get built. " (emphasis new)

When I saw Max show up at the gas station, I did a little happy dance, because I felt vindicated that this storyline that I had been holding onto actually came back round (as opposed to the many that are fated for the graveyards of Shameless.  Sammi and Chuckie, anyone?)

As far as what Fiona is going to do with the money, when we see her standing on the platform, the el going by, and her not being there, I think that is a 100% indication that she goes off with Jim/Jack/Steve, as the scene was shot excacly llike the one where she didn't go off with him (S2? S3?) and the train passed and she was still standing there and the season ended. So I am happy about that. 

6 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

Lip’s pregnant GF......  Ok, WTF??  Her storyline is pregnancy!  Why are y’all on the BRCA gene?  This is Shameless!  Not Dr. Oz.(It

I couldn't agree with you more.  I thought the storyline was plenty interesting enough with the fact that Tami is convinced she is going to die at 40 due to her mother's and grandmother's deaths at 40 from ovarian cancer, and not being sure what to do because she is not sure of Lip's character.  That storyline is complex, interesting, new, and I have acutally chastised myself for not giving it enough credit.  

OTOH, I'm sorry, I'm not an oncologist, not a geneticist.  I am not interested in this BRCA gene.  From what I understand, the presence or absence of it is not dispositive of anything; it just informs one whether they have a gene that predisposes them to some type of of cancer.  Totally convoluted and, frankly, stupid at this stage of the game.  I thought Tami was going to an oncologist who was going to tell her that she did, in fact, already have ovarian cancer.  That would have been interesting.  

I have to give the writers credit for writing Tami consistently all along.  Damning with faint praise, I guess.  

I have nothing more to add than a few little ditties:

--Carl rocked the house with that epic beat-down of the robber

--I hate Kelly immensely

--getting tired of Kermit and Tommy.  I didn't know this show had/needed a Statler and Waldorf

--I had a twisted sense of happiness that Liam didn't respond to the texts.  They don't give a damn about him so....

--This felt like an old-school episode (in a good way) of Shameless in the beginning of the episode, with everyone--paramedics and drug dealers alike--coming in and out of the house and there being tons of chaos

--loved that doctor that spoke bluntly to Frank, but this whole thing was contrived.  A man with a compound fracture would have abolutely been given adequate pain relief, "addict" or not.  In fact, the slower the hospital is to get to you, the more they will stave you off with pain meds.

--That wunderkund surgeon reminded me of Ian's ex, Trevor, for some reason.  Just me?  Thought so.

--I thought the Kev/Vee/twins' storyline was also good, old school Shameless in that the characters were involved in a ridiculous scenario, with a ridiculous opportunity to get out of it.  I would have chosen another tack and said, "wait a minute; you weren't aware you were taking care of Amy and Jemma this whole time?" And I would have pretended I was going to go after the daycare center if they didn't admit their negligence and continue to enroll my kids at the previously agreed-upon price, but what happened here was funny too.  I guess Kev literally has a cross to bear.  If anyone watches Arrested Develpment, when I found out that Kev was slated to be Jesus, I kept waiting for the nuns to produce the "fronts piece" Kev would have to wear.  They did produce it, but it wasn't nearly as skimpy as it could have been (thankfully).

I think this episode was one step up from last week's.  I still cannot wait for it all to be over!  

• Love 4

I also think Debbie has severe abandonment issues from Frank and Monica. Debbie was the one who worked with Frank to spring Monica from the hospital, and then Monica just left. She's desperately trying to find someone to love her -- that's why she wanted and had Frannie, after all. I think it's very interesting how all the Gallagher kids have dealt with their parents in unique ways -- Fiona by filling the gap, Lip by hiding from his talents, Ian by trying to get as far away as possible (remember, his first character arc was about joining the military), Carl by rejecting all social rules for a while. Liam, who has to think of Fiona as his "mother" and Lip as his "father", didn't have those kids of things nearly as severely as the rest of them, because he had a lot more stability than the rest of them.

There's a whole seldom-discussed backstory to the kids here -- some references to a foster-care situation that happened before the show started (and I think before Liam was born). I get the feeling that Fiona, Lip and Ian lived through the house WITH frank and Monica there on a regular basis,  while Debbie, Carl and Liam have never had their parents around in any real capacity. So Fiona and Lip model their parents -- Fiona's inability to live without crisis and Lips drinking -- while Debbie and Carl have much more pragmatic approaches to life because they've seen Fiona and Lip struggling to make ends meet. 

As for the episode itself, Fiona's epiphanies may be coming a bit too fast. As much as I think they've mishandled the real estate stuff, I do think Max is offering Fiona a decent deal -- she gets money now instead of having to wait  a potential year for it to distribute. Lots of things can happen in real estate in a year. The commitment was too much for her when she made it, and if she gets her money out free and clear, he's doing her a bit of a favor for offering it. 

I like Tami. An uncrazy Karen.

Someone above said there was a bittersweet feeling to this episode, and I have to agree. In it I can see the foundation for the post-Fiona show. I don't know whether it will be as good, but I think there's some stuff there that could make it worth watching.  

• Love 2
(edited)

It’s kinda funny the reason people hate the show and episodes is kinda the reason I like them.  

I thought the Liam stuff was hilarious.  Him mentioning to his friend that his family hasn’t noticed for a couple of days that he was missing so he was ignoring their texts and calls.

I get that people don’t like Debbie And that whold thing with her getting that guy drunk and then having sex with him because that whole relationship was one big red flag on both their parts.    The bigger issue was the pregnancy but then she is hardly forcing the guy to be a parent.  Debbie has always been lonely and once she figured things out she is a decent parent.  She just needs to find someone who isn’t too old for her or isn’t already dating Carl.

I loved the Al-Anon questionaire because yeah it is all Fiona.  She is only happy when things are crazy and she tends to self destruct when things start going well.  That being said her share was  stupid.  I never thought she was an alcoholic but more addicted to men who made her life crazy.  Drinking is just a symptom.

Only a moron would pull a gun on Carl.

I liked the Doctor.  He was essentially right.  The next Appocolpse will leave cockroaches and Frank Gallagher 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 3/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Kevin veronica and the twins are on a different show that’s full of whacky sitcom hijinks. “It’s not 1 little girl.. it’s two!! They’re twins!”

This has actually happened to me before, but with high school freshman.  I was running a free summer program for low income students, and for some reason, their mom thought that since it was free, they could only send one child.  She originally sent in applications for both girls, but only signed one of them up and she told the girls to pretend to be that one.  And they would switch the days when they would come in and the other would stay home.  Unlike Kev and Vee's twins, these twins were identical, but they had totally different personalities.  One was super outgoing and gregarious; the other was really shy and quiet.  On Tuesday, when the new twin came in, I noticed something was off but couldn't put my finger on it.  When the original one returned on Wednesday, I finally figured it out.  I asked to speak to her outside of the room and I said to her, "You weren't here yesterday, were you?  You know, it's perfectly okay for you and your sister to be here at the same time.  The space-time continuum won't implode!"  And she was shocked and asked how I knew.  I told her that they weren't as identical as they thought they were.  And that's when she told me that her mom made them do it.  So this storyline this season has just been making me laugh so hard because as silly as it is, especially because Amy and Jemma look nothing alike, this shit probably happens more often than people expect it to.  

Edited by luckyroll3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 3/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, chocolatine said:

I hate all the adults for not noticing that Liam has been gone for two days, briefly being "worried" about him, then forgetting about him again by dinnertime. That said, his friend's grandma is too permissive. She should have asked Liam for Fiona's number so she could call and check if it was OK for Liam to stay that long.

I felt so sorry for him when he said he had been gone for 2 days! How do you miss your sibling for 2 dang days!??!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s kinda funny the reason people hate the show episodes is kinda the reason I like them.  

I thought the Liam stuff was hilarious.  Him mentioning to his friends that his family hasn’t noticed for a couple of days that he was missing so he was ignoring their texts and calls.

I get that people don’t like Debbie was getting that guy drunk and then having sex with him because that whole relationship was one big red flag on both their parts.    The bigger issue was the pregnancy but then she is hardly forcing the guy to be a parent.  Debbie has always been lonely and once she figure things out she is a decent parent.  She just needs to find someone who isn’t too old for her or isn’t already dating Carl.

I loved the Al-Anon qyestolnare because yeah it is all Fiona.  She is only happy when things are crazy and she tends to self destruct when things start gling sell. That being said her does her ws stupid.  I never thought she was an alcoholic but more addicted to men who made her life crazy.  Drinking is just a symptom.

Only a moron would pull a gun on Carl.

I liked the Doctor.  He was essentially right.  The next Appocolpse will leave cockroaches and Frank Gallagher 

Right there with you! I love this show and I love Fiona and will be sad when she's gone. I felt there was a lot of foreshadowing about getting shot-- so I hope Fiona doesn't end up getting killed in that plastic gas station box thingy.

Frank and his shit always makes me LOL

That one twin of Kev and Vee-- don't know which one it is-- has the greatest stink face expression!

Karl and his shit always makes me laugh too! But I was sorry to hear he didn't make it into Westpoint.

and Hahaha! Liam is at then house of that boy from school who is his "bodyguard" right? Isn't that the same kid? anyway yeah. Liam deff has a disconnect

2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

This has actually happened to me before, but with high school freshman.  I was running a free summer program for low income students, and for some reason, their mom thought that since it was free, they could only send one child.  She originally sent in applications for both girls, but only signed one of them up and she told the girls to pretend to be that one.  And they would switch the days when they would come in and the other would stay home.  Unlike Kev and Vee's twins, these twins were identical, but they had totally different personalities.  One was super outgoing and gregarious; the other was really shy and quiet.  On Tuesday, when the new twin came in, I noticed something was off but couldn't put my finger on it.  When the original one returned on Wednesday, I finally figured it out.  I asked to speak to her outside of the room and I said to her, "You weren't hear yesterday, were you?  You know, it's perfectly okay for you and your sister to be here at the same time.  The space-time continuum won't implode!"  And she was shocked and asked how I knew.  I told her that they weren't as identical as they thought they were.  And that's when she told me that her mom made them do it.  So this storyline this season has just been making me laugh so hard because as silly as it is, especially because Amy and Jemma look nothing alike, this shit probably happens more often than people expect it to.  

Hahahahaha!  I just found out the little boy on SMILF who plays Bridgette’s  son (Larry Bird) is actually twin girls. 

Gorgeous children! 

During Kev and Vee lovemaking scene....I have this feeling she will turn up pregnant.

• Love 1

Lips girlfriend is just a raging god damn bitch.  Is it wrong I hope she has the worst most evil kind of cancer gene?  God damn, all he is trying to do is figure out what your plans are and help.  Probably shouldn't be mom with that attitude. 

Disappointed in the Fiona storyline this last season  Is there just one more episode with her?  Is she going to just collect her money and leave?  Seems to anticlimactic if that is all that happens

She could still end up in jail, but I wouldn't think that would be for long if it happens.  And she will likely be on probation no matter what, so not sure how she gets out of Chicago. 

That Frank storyline, as amusing as it was to see him suffer, is just not realistic in the least.  No way you do that type of surgery on a guy and then just release him that night

I actually feel bad for Carl. 

1 hour ago, Dance4Life said:

Hahahahaha!  I just found out the little boy on SMILF who plays Bridgette’s  son (Larry Bird) is actually twin girls. 

Gorgeous children! 

During Kev and Vee lovemaking scene....I have this feeling she will turn up pregnant.

Good chance of it.  You are supposed to use back up protection for awhile after a vasectomy

Screw Debbie and her pseudo-lesbian feelings for Carl's ex. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the notice that Fiona saw was that the retirement community into which she had invested was "coming soon."  I think that's why she started drinking with the old lady on the street.  This was divorced from the apartment building completely.  Fiona had already signed over her interest in the apartment building to Max in exchange for $292k.  She was done with it, if I recall.

I think there was a lot of viewer confusion on the apartment building vs the retirement community (let alone the church that Fiona flipped in S8).  I hate to be tacky enough to quote my own post, but on January 21, in "The Alibi  Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree" thread,  I wrote, 

"Fiona's downfall also makes no sense to me.  Max gave her $292k for the apartment building so that she could raise the additional $25k for the retirement home and pay the mortgage on the Gallagher home.  Then she gets all bent out of shape to see that he listed it for $175k, aka at a huge loss?? Did I read that scene right?  Because of the deal Fiona made with Max, she still does have her ownership interest in the retirement home, on which building was delayed a year because of the permit situation, which means it's still going to get built. " (emphasis new)

I distinctly remember a scene in the first or second episode after the winter break where Fiona walks by her old apartment building, looking drunk and disheveled, and sees workers boarding it up and putting up demolition signs. She tells one of the workers that she used to own the building, and he tells her "right, and I used to own the Sears tower". Then she finds out (it's unclear exactly how, but my guess is public records search) that Max sold it to a condo developer for $450k, so he made a tidy profit. Max is not the kind of guy who loses money on RE deals.

• Useful 1
On 3/4/2019 at 12:30 AM, scrb said:

Does every Gallagher, except Liam so far, have to be inclined towards outlandish or self destructive behavior?  Apparently they do.

But Shameless only seems to know this one note.  They must keep reminding each other in the writers room the name of the show.

What about Lip?  He was this genius who excelled at academics and now that he’s sober you would think he would get back on track, but they never mention it again.  And he’s obsessed with 10 year old Xan but has no time for his 10 year old brother who’s mother is dead and who’s  chronically neglected. Poor Liam will end up like the rest of them or worse once he’s a teen. 

• Love 4
On 3/4/2019 at 2:15 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

oved that doctor that spoke bluntly to Frank, but this whole thing was contrived.  A man with a compound fracture would have abolutely been given adequate pain relief, "addict" or not.  In fact, the slower the hospital is to get to you, the more they will stave you off with pain meds.

This times a million. If Frank had a mysterious incredible back pain that doesn't look like anything in the x-rays he wouldn't have gotten drugs, but it is unethical not to manage pain resulting from a fracture. They would have given him some norcos and monitored him. When I fractured my ankle they were very cautious (I'm a recovering alcoholic) and started me on the lower end of pain meds but did raise them as needed. 

You can't just say fuck you take a Tylenol even if you hate the patient. I don't know why but this really bothered me a lot.

• Love 1

Just hate watching at this point. The Frank/hospital stuff is so over the top I can't even deal. $850,00.00 dollars would have been from one visit he skated on and the rest? They're not called Ambulance chasing lawyers for nothing.

blech.