Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Sleepless in Laredo

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

“You know me. Angel.”

"Uh, no we don’t. We don’t know anything about you, Jason."

So now I’m picturing Jason as an actual angel. And as an angel (in my mind) no one can hear when he talks.  So that’s why we never hear/see him. 😇

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Last night's episode had Jackson, Jason, Jed and Jer.  Did anyone see Justin or James?  I didn't.  Maybe they've been shipped off to Alert.

I was just thinking the same thing  that Justin & James seem to be MIA.  

I was remembering Jill using lower level math flash cards to help James when he hung out with the Derelicts soon after they married.   He was in Jill's buddy group & was one of their main chaperones too.  He became one of my favorites when they were trying to get him to eat the more fancy foods that Derick brought on Jill's birthday hike. IIRC, he made a funny comment about chick peas. 

Good lord, why do I remember this stuff? 

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Ratings:  1.021 M viewers and a .27 rating.  

I always look forward to your ratings post. I was specifically looking for it tonight. I wanted to make sure you know how much it is appreciated!

As long as they stay above a million, they are set for another season, right? Barring no scandals that trump Josh’s.

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

As long as they stay above a million, they are set for another season, right? Barring no scandals that trump Josh’s.

Thank you!!  Sometimes I wonder if the ratings posts matter.  

I fear that staying above a million will keep them showing up.  They usually win their night on TLC, too.  As long as Jim Bob can keep the weddings flowing and the younger families keep the babies on the way, who knows how long it's going to take the hard core viewers to give up.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I was just thinking the same thing  that Justin & James seem to be MIA.  

I was remembering Jill using lower level math flash cards to help James when he hung out with the Derelicts soon after they married.   He was in Jill's buddy group & was one of their main chaperones too.  He became one of my favorites when they were trying to get him to eat the more fancy foods that Derick brought on Jill's birthday hike. IIRC, he made a funny comment about chick peas. 

Good lord, why do I remember this stuff? 

Speaking of funny comments about food, I laughed when Tyler called couscous - coosygoosey!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I fear that staying above a million will keep them showing up.  They usually win their night on TLC, too.  As long as Jim Bob can keep the weddings flowing and the younger families keep the babies on the way, who knows how long it's going to take the hard core viewers to give up.  

Thank you for taking the time to post the ratings. We appreciate it!

• Love 23
2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

So now I’m picturing Jason as an actual angel. And as an angel (in my mind) no one can hear when he talks.  So that’s why we never hear/see him. 😇

Jason is actually a gnome spy whose collecting intelligence for the Duggar family. I'd say he's not doing a good job because the Duggars as a whole haven't been intelligent for quite some time now.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

Yes, the ratings posts absolutely matter to me. There have been a few times when I didn't see your ratings post and I had to (oh the suffering!) go look them up for myself. 

The Duggars seem to be holding their own in terms of viewership among other TLC first-run series. I assume that TLC is gradually getting advertisers back to the show these days. IIRC in the early days of Counting On, post-Joshgate, the commercial breaks tended to be full of promos for other TLC shows. I'm no expert, but IMO if the show's viewers and ratings hold steady and the ad revenue increases, the Duggs are likely be a TLC staple for quite some time yet.

Edited by Jeeves
spelling and stuff
  • Love 7
On 2/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, Barb23 said:

Michele was sitting behind them at the school table. I think she explained to the kids at the beginning what Ben's lesson would be. 

So she was just there for the paycheck and to get her face on camera. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Puffin said:

So she was just there for the paycheck and to get her face on camera. 

Well we can't say she's not a good teacher anymore -- merely the sight of her onscreen taught us both to add that up right quick!

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Lunera said:

Yup, sounds like Lauren had a stash of pee sticks in her drawer and was peeing on one every night hoping for a positive one.

She could have waited a few weeks to announce and got the pregnancy confirmed by a doctor but wanted it filmed in time for the new season.

Lauren's parents are creepy as fuck.

I don't know if this is still the case, but years ago they always said to test with first-morning urine. And of course, to see an actual DOCTOR.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don't know if this is still the case, but years ago they always said to test with first-morning urine. And of course, to see an actual DOCTOR.

the reason the first morning urine is best is because its the most concentrated thus giving you a better result, same thing goes if you are just getting a urine test for a UTI or physical. Morning catch. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

the reason the first morning urine is best is because its the most concentrated thus giving you a better result, same thing goes if you are just getting a urine test for a UTI or physical. Morning catch. 

I wonder if it still makes that clear on the test box. Of course these morons are testing in the middle of the night!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder if it still makes that clear on the test box. Of course these morons are testing in the middle of the night!

I honestly don't know but if I remember the 25+ years ago I did a test, I think it did say that. Middle of the night might not be so bad unless you drank a gallon of water before bed and tested an hour or two later. 

Edited by libgirl2
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Well we can't say she's not a good teacher anymore -- merely the sight of her onscreen taught us both to add that up right quick!

For a sec I thought you was going to say that the mere sight of Michelle was a blessing, I was about to throw my iPad on the ground 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, floridamom said:

Josiah and Lauren figured it out that she must be pregnant? I'm now sure that she never went to a doctor.

It must be a royal pain in the ass for everyone to keep up with the tea on YOUR menstrual cycle including last period, ovulation and conception.

When I get asked by the OB on "when was your last period." - my answers is usually like " the week or so before last..", I think it was around..." ,  I think it was near {some other event in the world  - like the NBA all star weekend} ... ,  "I'm pretty sure it was a on Monday, nearest to a  payday..".. 🙂  This crew has it down to the days/hours..

I do remember at the dinner when Ms Swanson un-bundled herself from breastfeeding, after hearing the news, Lauren said to her - "you kept asking so many questions"..  I did think for a minute that Mrs. swanson should be worried about her own childbearing concerns..

I know there is an app for cycle tracking- does it send out text messages to those you select so they can get the details, on what one's body is doing when ?

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sATL said:

🙂

I do remember at the dinner when Ms Swanson un-bundled herself from breastfeeding, after hearing the news, Lauren said to her - "you kept asking so many questions"..  I did think for a minute that Mrs. swanson should be worried about her own childbearing concerns..

I forgot all about Ma Swanson quickly untangling herself from her nursing afghan to hug Lauren.  God only knows where the baby ended up. 

Once again, Pa Swanson seemed very surprised over the pregnancy announcement of a newlywed couple not using birth control.  I'll have to check the DVR  to see what his exact words were.  

It is so sad that these  newlyweds are constantly badgered about a possible pregnancy right after the honeymoon ends.  I guess since there's not much else (exciting) going on in their lives,  a possible pregnancy is the only thing they can talk about. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Absolom said:

I really wonder who would seriously watch this drivel and find it entertaining?  I can hardly make it through just watching for snark value.  I can’t fathom watching for any other reason  

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Kbo said:

I really wonder who would seriously watch this drivel and find it entertaining?  I can hardly make it through just watching for snark value.  I can’t fathom watching for any other reason  

I often wonder about this as well.  Unless you're an uber-fundie and think these people are royalty, the average viewer can do a simple google search and find all the duggar scandals and controversy.  I have a feeling that the majority of people watching are casual viewers who don't do any research or just don't can and find it entertaining.  I could see myself getting sucked into watching it if I didn't already know about how absolutely horrible these people are.  Ahhh the days of "15 Kids and Pregnant Again" when  the JB & MeeShell were quirky, poor and had everyone fooled.  Those were the days.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I often wonder about this as well.  Unless you're an uber-fundie and think these people are royalty, the average viewer can do a simple google search and find all the duggar scandals and controversy.  I have a feeling that the majority of people watching are casual viewers who don't do any research or just don't can and find it entertaining.  I could see myself getting sucked into watching it if I didn't already know about how absolutely horrible these people are.  Ahhh the days of "15 Kids and Pregnant Again" when  the JB & MeeShell were quirky, poor and had everyone fooled.  Those were the days.

Right?! I want to know who does watch. Are there any new viewers? I don’t see how the show is compelling enough for someone who has never watched to then bother to find out the schedule and watch again next week. Like, maybe you’re flipping channels and land on it, but nothing beyond that.

TLC used to have family friendly programming, but that is long gone, so they wouldn’t attract new viewers just by having on TLC. I was flipping channels and my young kids saw two seconds of a shower scene from My 600 pound life. Ack!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Yes, the ratings posts absolutely matter to me. There have been a few times when I didn't see your ratings post and I had to (oh the suffering!) go look them up for myself. 

The Duggars seem to be holding their own in terms of viewership among other TLC first-run series. I assume that TLC is gradually getting advertisers back to the show these days. IIRC in the early days of Counting On, post-Joshgate, the commercial breaks tended to be full of promos for other TLC shows. I'm no expert, but IMO if the show's viewers and ratings hold steady and the ad revenue increases, the Duggs are likely be a TLC staple for quite some time yet.

My guess is the Discovery networks make much of their money to produce the TLC programming because it sells well to the English speaking  international market.  Much like the cross programming of the many freak show British shows that have aired here on TLC. 

The international commercial sponsors are indifferent to any US problems. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

My guess is the Discovery networks make much of their money to produce the TLC programming because it sells well to the English speaking  international market.  Much like the cross programming of the many freak show British shows that have aired here on TLC. 

The international commercial sponsors are indifferent to any US problems. 

Plus, they've tried various new shows over the past several years and had to can a fairly significant number -- largely because too many of the people involved turned out to be criminals of various kinds. And not in the past. With indictments and prosecutions and convictions and such happening during first-run episodes of their shows. ....

Probably seems much safer to stick with the oldies. ;  )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Instead she went right to Goodwill to buy that shirt. 

I know they're going to pimp out the miscarriage next week, but I wonder when the producers will get a clue and realize Si and Lauren aren't the direction to go in if they want to keep the gravy train rolling?

All Fundie couples display some level of awkwardness due to their stunted upbringings, but these two are just painful. I'd rather watch an hour of Spurge and Henry.

• Love 9
On 2/27/2019 at 5:48 PM, Barb23 said:

Once again, Pa Swanson seemed very surprised over the pregnancy announcement of a newlywed couple not using birth control. 

Maybe he thought, as many did/do, that Josiah is gay and he wouldn’t have to worry about Lauren being sullied in such a way.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, Puffin said:

For a sec I thought you was going to say that the mere sight of Michelle was a blessing, I was about to throw my iPad on the ground 😂

I didn't even think of that, quite possibly because I'm not exactly known for my ability to "keep sweet".

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, Churchhoney said:

Plus, they've tried various new shows over the past several years and had to can a fairly significant number -- largely because too many of the people involved turned out to be criminals of various kinds. And not in the past. With indictments and prosecutions and convictions and such happening during first-run episodes of their shows. ....

Probably seems much safer to stick with the oldies. ;  )

Definitely a case of the devil you know...

• Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, DangerousMinds said:

The newer tests are more sensitive, so a lot of brands no longer advise using only first void urine. I found out about Mini Mistake at 10:30 at night after several days of thinking “wow, my period’s really late this month, and I feel so queasy every morning — must be stress!” And i’m a reproductive health nurse! 😂 My husband was finally like “umm, has it occurred to you that maybe you’re pregnant?” It seemed so obvious in retrospect.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, Twopper said:

I know their education level isn't high, but it was a terrible idea to squish everyone in at that table.  Those kids really need individual attention when it comes to school work.  I do think Bin probably has realized after living with Jessa that her education was very minimal.  I hope he really can help.  I think the first crack in Duggar unity will be someone complaining about the lack of education, although it may not be in my life time.

I don't know diddly squat about how you should do homeschooling. Does it really mean putting all the kids at the same table doing the same thing at the same time? Because, this sh*t doesn't create any respect on my part for homeschoolers. No personal offense intended to anyone who manages to really educate their kids at home, but I'm not feeling the love for it based on the Duggars.

Edited by Jeeves
clarity and words
  • Love 11
On 2/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, Temperance said:

He runs a ministry for men with Dwain Swanson (Josiah's father-in-law.)  

OK, I read this too fast (or maybe I should say my mind stopped before the parentheses) and I thought "men with Dwain Swanson"? I never heard of that disease.

• LOL 16
22 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

OK, I read this too fast (or maybe I should say my mind stopped before the parentheses) and I thought "men with Dwain Swanson"? I never heard of that disease.

I did exactly the same thing. And even after having read his name so many times, I still cannot take it seriously. The spelling of "Dwain" just cracks me up. Every single time I see it, I just picture this dweeby little plumber with a speech impediment talking about his job...

• LOL 9
18 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I did exactly the same thing. And even after having read his name so many times, I still cannot take it seriously. The spelling of "Dwain" just cracks me up. Every single time I see it, I just picture this dweeby little plumber with a speech impediment talking about his job...

Yep.🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Am I the only one who thinks Ben was set up as “teacher for the day” for TeeVee, and never set foot in the SOTDRT again?

Adding:

@Churchhoney, everything you said about teaching in a one room classroom is true! 

Well, he might return again in a few years when his sons are old enough for SOTDRT. I really can't see Jessa doing it. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Am I the only one who thinks Ben was set up as “teacher for the day” for TeeVee, and never set foot in the SOTDRT again?

Adding:

@Churchhoney, everything you said about teaching in a one room classroom is true! 

That’s what I think too. All for the TeeVee. I still think that a more interesting show that will never happen is unedited feed from cameras throughout most of their houses. Not happening but better picture of what goes on. I know at first they would be aware of the cameras but my guess is there would be some real Moments. I know it won’t happen

• Love 7
2 hours ago, asuwur said:

That moment when you realize Ben is probably the most educated person to attempt Instruction at the SotDRT.....

Well, he could name more Greek mythology figures than the rest of them! 😂

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Considering what IS shown on the show, social media, and such, I think actual daily living would be  a horror show.

What time do you think the first person wakes up?

In a week, how many meals do you think they eat together?

When do you think they go to bed?

How many people are lazing on the living room furniture at any given time?

ETA: In a week, how many times do they a family Bible study or whatever it was they used to have a kids’ room in a circle?

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

What time do you think the first person wakes up?

In a week, how many meals do you think they eat together?

When do you think they go to bed?

How many people are lazing on the living room furniture at any given time?

ETA: In a week, how many times do they a family Bible study or whatever it was they used to have a kids’ room in a circle?

I think Jana is the first to wake at the TTH and she wakes at perhaps 8am. 

In a week I think perhaps 2 meals are eaten all together (meaning everyone living at home). Jana probably has regular meal times for J’Tyler on down, but everyone else grabs something when they are hungry, save for an event where the marrieds come over. 

Jackson on up probably go to bed around 11pm. 

I think JB stopped family bible study a while ago. 

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, asuwur said:

That moment when you realize Ben is probably the most educated person to attempt Instruction at the SotDRT.....

Well, lets see in 3 yrs what  Derrick Dullard, JD, Attorney at Law is brought in to teach....Someone ping me when the betting opens on him passing the bar exam on the 1st attempt...

I wonder did someone at the religious headquarters give JB an earful and/or a fine for allowing a son-in-law, with 2 toddlers, to peruse a law degree at an regular accredited law school... Sure would like to be a fly on the wall when Frumpy Jill attends the law firm social functions - especially if they are semi-formal.

Wonder if Jeremy has plans to go to grad school...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4