Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Sleepless in Laredo

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

From the onscreen guide:

Jinger and Jeremy get a dose of reality as they adjust to life as new parents; Ben tutors the Duggar kids and they must use their math skill to cook a meal for 40 people later at dinner, one couple makes a special announcement.

• Love 1

I was shocked at the excitement the Duggar kids exhibited at the produce aisle sprinklers.  Do these kids never go grocery shopping?  Or more likely, they are not used to going into the fresh produce section.

So Josiah and Lauren revealed their pregnancy 2 days after taking the test. Her abdomen was completely flat so she must just barely be far along.

The tangine looked good, but doesn't that type of dish need long, slow cooking?  They started prepping and cooking just 30 minutes before dinner time.  Served on styrofoam, naturally, except Siah, who ate off a fish and chips take out container.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, louannems said:

I was shocked at the excitement the Duggar kids exhibited at the produce aisle sprinklers.  Do these kids never go grocery shopping?  Or more likely, they are not used to going into the fresh produce section.

So Josiah and Lauren revealed their pregnancy 2 days after taking the test. Her abdomen was completely flat so she must just barely be far along.

The tangine looked good, but doesn't that type of dish need long, slow cooking?  They started prepping and cooking just 30 minutes before dinner time.  Served on styrofoam, naturally, except Siah, who ate off a fish and chips take out container.

The pee stick was not likely dry and she probably peed on one every morning since she got married. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

He said that he was still taking classes. I wonder if he's done yet. I think he took off the semester when Spurgeon was born, not sure about Henry; they were mum on the subject when he was born.

Jessa said last season that he was almost finished with school and that season was filmed during Fall 2017. I may have my seasons mixed up but she said that before Josiah and Lauren were married.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Jessa said last season that he was almost finished with school and that season was filmed during Fall 2017. I may have my seasons mixed up but she said that before Josiah and Lauren were married.

When fans have asked what Bin is currently up to on her Sm, she has gotten very defensive. So who knows what if anything he is doing.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, louannems said:

wOn tonight's episode, Ben said he is continuing his education by taking classes online.

Wasn't his Moody thing all (or mostly) online? Maybe he's just doing it v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w-l-y-....for whatever reason? 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, louannems said:

On tonight's episode, Ben said he is continuing his education by taking classes online.

I mentioned that above. 😊 (yes, I had two hours to kill waiting for the husband at the hospital, so I watched the episode).

Edited by Sew Sumi
Autocorrect changed kill to Jill. LMAO
28 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Laura claims she was never a teacher to the Duggar kids.

What the hell was she doing around there then? Boob's concubine? 

She's apparently a professional decorator or something similar. They certainly didn't use that. 

Hard for me to believe they brought in a concubine for Jana. But maybe they did. 

And, if that's so, looks like they gave up having anybody look after the schooling et al of the younger kids. For years....

Not that that's especially surprising. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

What the hell was she doing around there then? Boob's concubine? 

She's apparently a professional decorator or something similar. They certainly didn't use that. 

Hard for me to believe they brought in a concubine for Jana. But maybe they did. 

And, if that's so, looks like they gave up having anybody look after the schooling et al of the younger kids. For years....

Not that that's especially surprising. 

My guess is she was actually a "tutor" but either wasn't getting paid or was getting paid under the table for her services. She's probably been told to stfu about the entire thing.

Regardless they have Ben now to teach math!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Pregnancy test weirdos strikes again! We just happen to have this pregnancy test at 1:30 am and we’ve been married for 24 seconds so this makes sense.  

I hate hate hate this pregnancy announcement happens so quickly and then Lauren is devestated.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I hope they mention the miscarriage at the end of episode because otherwise I can imagine people watching that don't keep up with real time events outside the show running to their social media to offer congratulations after seeing the reveal tonight. 

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Katydid said:

I hope they mention the miscarriage in this episode because otherwise I can imagine people that don't keep up with real time events outside the show running to their social media to offer congratulations after seeing the reveal tonight. 

They don't. Looks like the miscarriage reveal will be next week. 

This whole math tutoring is PAINFUL!

What does EVOO stand for? Yay Josie knows the answer!

haha Jessa didn’t do her math homework for days!  Haha cute!

Is there some tax write off for Ben teaching despite Me chelle being present for the teaching?

Who is the random girl?

Why is a kid Jackson’s age doing basic multiplication?

how sexist is this mess?

Edited by Soaper410
  • LOL 2
  • Love 18
37 minutes ago, Soaper410 said:

Pregnancy test weirdos strikes again! We just happen to have this pregnancy test at 1:30 am and we’ve been married for 24 seconds so this makes sense.  

I hate hate hate this pregnancy announcement happens so quickly and then Lauren is devestated.  

And people with real jobs aren't running around at 2 am buying pregnancy tests because you know sleep/work.

• Love 19
44 minutes ago, Soaper410 said:

Yes, please see an actual doctor before announcing a pregnancy. Just my opinion.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

QUIT SQUEALING!!!

What first came to mind was Me-Chelle squealing that the spices were organic.

Then I realized that you were talking about all the girls squealing about the pregnancy...which for them is really all they are allowed to accomplish in life.

And Josiah, no one knew what the shirt said because no one could read the damn font. 

And Lauren, it’s ok to say you bought something from Etsy. Not everything has to come from Good Will.

Edited by Snickerdoodle
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Brown eyed girl said:

When they were discussing how many portapotties they would need for John and Abbie’s wedding, I loved Joy’s answer. Just don’t serve beer , problem solved. I can’t believe she said that. 

I could have sworn she said don't serve TEA!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I did LOL at Jeremy describing the evolution of his relationship with coffee once Felicity was born. 

Michelle was really just taking up space, wasn't she?

Also, no Austin anywhere, although we saw Joy and Gideon. I wonder if he'll be the next to get off the Counting On ship...

• Love 4

I can't believe they did construction work in the living room!   

1000 guests?  do they know that many people to come to a wedding in Oklahoma?  and a reception in a hangar?  I know he likes airplanes, but that is a bit much although if the town is as small as Abbie indicated then it is probably the only place to have that many people.   There are some  very ornate portable bathrooms in trailers.  I think the first one I used was at the Preakness about 20 years ago.  I would be horrified if they use the regular porta-potties.  If so they better  hire some porta-wash basins as well.   Hope he has good weather as I can't imagine being squashed together in an airplane hangar on a rainy day.   I probably like John David better than most of the Duggars and Duggars-in-law.   I like Jinger and Jana, and that's about it.  And Abbie so far.

Have these kids never been to the grocery?   Misters have been around for years, although not all stores use them. 

I am not sure about Bin's academic abilities, but I would think  they are better than most of the Duggars.   Michelle has been checked out of the School of the Dining Room Table for at least a decade.  I would think they do most of their work  by computer now, but I really like Bin's idea to do some field trips with the kids.  At least these field trips might be more age appropriate than the earlier ones.  Or maybe not.....  I am all for taking the children away from the house as often as possible. 

I certainly hope that if Jinger has more children, she doesn't turn Felicity into Jana.   Poor Jinger has no family nearby to babysit.

Is that Josie who needs braces.  Poor child--those are really crooked teeth.

I just realized I have no idea who the younger children are except Josie; I guess Jackson is the oldest of that group.  I think he is the one that fell into the orchestra pit or something like that and got lost in an airport. 

• Love 8

I feel bad for Jana, always working hard to make everyone else's days special, while having none of her own.

Do the younger set of Duggar children ever leave the compound? I can't believe produce misters threw them into a state of shock and awe. I think Bin was well-intended, but there had to have been a better way of organizing the kids for the cooking portion of their lesson. The food did look good when it was finished.

Lauren announced way too early. The Swanson family is creepy as hell.

I know we're only seeing bits and pieces of edited footage, but it would've been nice for Jeremy to offer to make Jinger breakfast instead of her making him coffee. 

Who was that random girl sitting in during the homefooling? Did the Duggars recruit another nanny-slave?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

“It’s kind of in cursive, so it’ll be kind of hard for them to read it.”

I know cursive is a dying art form but this made me laugh. 

Also, I would be LIVID if I showed up to a reception and was pointed towards a porta-potty to pee. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 6

Like another poster said, there are a lot of nice porta potties out there that don't  resemble the typical kind.  My friend had some at her outdoor wedding at her waterfront home & didn't  want everyone using the house bathrooms. Hoping JD & Abbie went with the more fancier ones but I doubt it. 

IIRC, there was an episode on Don't Be Tardy when Kim & friend went porta-potty shopping & it was funny. Of course her wedding had to have the best ones.

• Love 7

Did I just hear Jackson bad mouth "getting on a (school) bus at 7 in the morning ??? That mess came straight from his parents - how the hell would he know about getting on a school bus? And that getting on a bus is bad going to school? And that going to a school , public or private, is bad ? FYI -  not every school bus runs at 7... SMH

JD sure thinks he one "Top Gun" of a pilot . I think the 4-star general of the Air Force, Head of Pilots at any of the commercial airlines, and the Rear Adm. of of the Navy Pilots, probably don't talk about flying, planes and being a pilot as much as he does. But let me be happy that the man is at least speaking...

I guess one couldn't have rented that 2x10 wood contraption they built in a living room in AK, that needs to be transported to OK...

Umm - Laura - light skinny jeans under a black dress - no..

Jinger has some strength in all of that rocking.... has she must been doing some weight lifting with all of the jogging/walking 3 miles ?

Now I love math - but I thought for recipes it's not always a straight multiplication, when increasing the serving size. But I guess he had each kiddo doing just 4 serving size.  I missed the cleaning and cutting up of the chicken breasts..

I am glad Mrs. Swanson found out before the Duggars.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

Now we know why Felicity wears head ornaments - to keep everything in place while her mom shakes rocks her.

How does Ben handle tutoring math and taking one college level class? No wonder Jessa slaves away at home cooking and cleaning. She has to have everything nice for her over worked best husband ever!

In reality, Jessa, Ben and the boys must roll out of bed at 10am, throw a couple of urine soaked diapers on the pile and head over to the TTH. What a hard life.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2

It's hard to believe Jackson will be 15 in May & I'm talking about his maturity & not his small stature.  (My son has always been on the small side so no big deal for me.) 

I do think it was a good idea for Ben to show the kids how you need math & other subjects in the real world but the lesson couldn't have been any easier. They were multiplying items they needed by 10. His lesson was fine for the younger ones like Josie & Jordyn but the older ones should have had something harder. I do realize this is the Duggars & most of the grown kids said they were bad in math which isnt saying much for the SOTDRT.  

Hard to believe  but Jackson would be in the 9th grade & a freshman in high school here in Maryland.  Most kids that age are done playing with the store vegetable scale & don't have to be reminded to stay with the group. My son grew up going to the grocery store & farm stand with me so the fresh veggie & fruit dept isn't a novelty to him. Now that he's grown it's his favorite part of the store.  Most kids at 14-15 would be able to navigate the store & find the items on their own as well as figure out the quantities needed. 

My son & niece were in the advanced math group in public school starting with Algebra I in 6th grade (age 11-12) & were probably doing Algebra II or Trig at Jackson's age. Even I was doing Algebra I or Geometry in 9th grade way back in the olden days.  

The Duggar Academy isn't doing these kids any favors.

As a side note, poor Josie really needs some help.  She could barely comprehend what the producer meant when asked about her favorite school subject & then I think she answered with "Nothing."

• Love 18
6 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:

Then I realized that you were talking about all the girls squealing about the pregnancy...which for them is really all they are allowed to accomplish in life.

That's not the only thing. You forgot acquiring an entire set of organic spices (I haven't seen the episode yet; apparently there was a reference to organic spices? I'm thinking of the set of organic spices they like to proudly display on their window sills once they get married) and growing their hair down to their asses.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

If they really wanted to show Ben having the kids calculate he should have included converting things like all those TBS and TSP to cups or ounces  (i.e recipe calls for 2 TBS paprika, times 10 is 20 TBS there are 16 TBS in a cup how can we convert this to make it easier to measure?).  Maybe he did but you'd think they'd show it and at least it would have been taking the easy part of the lesson 2x10 a step further.

Jessa lost her math book and it took Mom three days to notice?  Maybe I'm not up on home school schedules and she didn't use it daily but it seems like if she was third grade or around 9 at the time Michelle wasn't exactly monitoring them closely.

I''m fuzzy on the timeline.  And I feel like I want to tread carefully here because however Josiah and Lauren might have jumped the gun on announcing pregnancy, even if they had kept it to themselves for a few more months they were still really excited and it's still a loss so no snark there but...............Jessa is now posting on-line like she and Lauren were pregnancy buddies, she even said they had the exact same due date.  Apparently they're going to address the miscarriage next week but going by show time not real time Jessa hasn't said anything about being pregnant so to me it's odd and awkward how and when that fits in.

They're not shy about sharing so I wish Jinger had expanded on why she gave up coffee - made her jittery, acid was giving her stomach problems, caused headaches or breakouts?  Just curious and it seems like something that isn't exactly private or secret (compared to, say, something like circumstances around Sam's birth).

Haven't we seen that the Duggar's have a compound with multiple buildings including a shop?  Ben's apartment was behind the shop wasn't it?  So why in the world did they have to put that arbor together in the living room and why did they have to set up benches and make a fake church out of it to accurately see what it would look like.  I have two theories on it and if voting I'd say the answer is both theories are true  1.  They couldn't do it half way then say "picture it" because these kids are so sheltered most of them have little to no imagination and can't see what isn't laid out for them and 2. Because the show producers told them to do it that way and Jim Bob will do just about anything for a good TV moment.

• Love 12

Did the Duggars lose their affiliation with Aldi?  I don't knock Aldi as I go there weekly for certain products.   In the early Duggar days they would buy 8 carts of crap at a time.  Of course there are no produce sprinkler there and the little kids these days were babies or not even born.  Considering they stockpile canned foods to feed an army, it does not surprise me that the supermarket was novel to them.

• Love 1