Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Surprise

druzy
  • Start Topic

On 2/28/2019 at 7:49 PM, smores said:

I'm more than happy to agree to disagree, in fact, I've tried to be clear all along that I didn't think either way was wrong.  I've simply been trying to make the point that for some people, this isn't something they have a problem with.  To be very clear, though, there is a difference between the way that I was raised, with cursing not being a big deal and bad parenting.  One doesn't automatically equal the other.  Had I been cursing at school or at grandma's house, or had I been a kid in the neighborhood cursing and the other adults said something to me about it and I didn’t stop? I'd have been in trouble.  It was always understood that just like you might be able to go in the fridge at your house and get what you want when you want it, that doesn't apply elsewhere.  I was never allowed to be disrespectful to others and just because I could swear and my parents didn't care, other people do, so it was wrong and disrespectful in those cases.  

It's just not a black and white thing, that's my only point. Moving on . . .

I've lived in both the north and the south and honestly, I have found that doors are far more likely to be allowed to slam in your face in the south.  I've also never met a single person who complained about a door being held open for them in the north.  Most of my family lives in the northeast and this hasn't been a thing I've ever witnessed.  I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, but it's just not the type of thing I've ever known anyone to complain about.  People hold doors for each other, whoever gets to it first holds it for the others.  The only thing that is annoying is when you get to the door, you hold it for your party and then like 40 people are behind you and no one in the other party grabs the door to take it over so you can head on in with your family.  It's like, I didn't sign on to be doorman today, you grab the door from me, then when your party is through, pass it to someone in the next group, and it all works out. 

Being a Texan I’ve never not held a door for people. But the 1st time we visited the PNW by the 3rd day my husband said “I’m not holding the door open for anyone anymore.  Not one person has said thank you.”  I type this while I’m currently on a trip in the PNW.  Haha

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 2/25/2019 at 8:54 PM, Lm2162 said:
On 2/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, Christina87 said:

when Jo said she made 5-10K a month from Instagram ads, I was shocked!

I’m not and I think it’s probably actually more, that was just Jo’s estimate. I know someone who has 150k Instagram followers and like 40k on Twitter (she’s not otherwise famous, but young, really pretty) and has funded for her whole life just off social media (Instagram, twitter and Snapchat) - an apartment alone in a big city, multiple vacations a year and she’s putting herself through college - for at least 3-4 years now without ever having a “real job.” Kailyn has much more reach and many more followers than her plus she’s the grifting queen so I’m assuming she’s taking every shifty sponsorship possible, which the girl I know doesn’t do (no “diet teas” for instance). Kailyn is probably making more off of social media than she is on the show.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, configdotsys said:

Jo seems quite envious of her thousands per month from Instagram and other income as he sits in his recliner pouting over his lack of wealth.  

Why the heck doesn’t Jo do some Instagram/social media whoring of his own? He could stay sitting on the recliner. His Instagram has about 75k followers and he hasn’t posted a thing since 2017! Vee has 105k followers so she must be making something. They’re semi foolish IMO not to cash in on this. They don’t even have to sell out their personal lives, people will pay them to hawk stuff just for being on TV. They could also work st getting more followers. Stack up the money for later while you can.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I'm sure his next job title will be "boyfriend of TM2 cast member."

That’s Leah’s (and Jenelle’s) dream occupation for her current guy (just not after they split and it comes time to pay child support).

On 2/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, Christina87 said:

The non-hate watchers are scary. "Jenelle has come SUCH a long way!!! She went from a misguided girl...and I mean, face it, we were all misguided as teens...to such a wonderful wife, mother, and #bossbabe!!! She has gotten her life together and I'm so proud of her!!! Sure she doesn't have one kid, but who are you to judge? I'm 21 and don't have custody of my oldest three kids, and I'm a great person. Jenelle only doesn't have custody of one, so big deal! Jenelle, don't listen to the hatters. You have a beautiful family and will prove them wrong. Your makeup line is so awesome too! You're slaying your career. Now, if only her witch of a mother would give Jace back!!!"

This is otherwise perfect but “you’re grammer is way to well” to be a Jenelle fan!!

On 2/27/2019 at 9:42 PM, Eater of Worlds said:

You know, watching I think it was this episode, I see that Gracie is still a massive bitch to Ali.  She still puts her down and I think she holds a ton of resentment towards her.  She's too young to see the amount of hurt that Ali has and I fear that Gracie is going to explode with that resentment when she gets older.  I know they talked about counseling and took her to one but that child still needs a lot of help.

I think Gracie is confused about Ali’s abilities and the seriousness of her condition.  Look at all the mixed messages she’s gotten - Ali is fine, she can play sports, doesn’t always need her willchair and shouldn’t be treated differently but then they do treat her differently because they have to and she is obviously weaker than Gracie and can’t do the same things. I don’t think Leah and Cory have done a “well” job at explaining it all to Gracie and that’s why she’s said things in the past about Ali just being lazy or a baby and picks on her. I think Gracie thinks that Ali just has some differences but that she could do more and be “better” if she just wanted to, because she’s like 9 and has been mostly left to figure things out for herself in regard to Ali and her condition. I wonder if she should go to a doctor’s appointment with them once in awhile now that they’re older. Maybe that’s a weird idea but I think she needs a more educated adult to help her understand. Therapy is a great idea, I hope she’s actually still going.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, smores said:

It's not so much the lack of decorating that stands out to me, I think, it's the random weird, generic décor touches.  Like they'll be at a table and aren't eating anything, but have glasses of wine and the table is set with chargers, bowls and cloth napkins decoratively.  What guy does that?  Or they are sitting on a couch and in the background are strategically placed "art objects" and a wooden cut out "Family" sign.  It's got this pinterest-chic vibe that you'd see in Kail's house or maybe parts of Chelsea's, but it's really kind of odd for a random guy who lives on his own.  

That was weird...but could the decor be leftover relics from his ex wife? Was that their home together?

Edited by Rebecca
Sorry LM, I can’t get rid of that quote box!! ??
  • Love 12
(edited)

BTW, if Jo meant just a window unit AC that is really stretching my disbelief to think he couldn’t afford a new one immediately. You can buy a new Frigidaire one on amazon right now for $139, it is highly reviewed by thousands. 

And if he meant central air wasn’t working and didn’t want a window unit then there is this for a 500 square foot space, which should be fine for Isaac’s room at least, for $429: https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-ARC-14S-Conditioner-Dehumidifier-Activated/dp/B0028AYQDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=air+conditioner&qid=1551659148&s=gateway&sr=8-15 

Or get a used one of Craig’s list! I did in college. Just in case he reads here. 😆

If Isaac not having AC was his tale of woe, it could’ve been easily remedied by Jo. I do get his point and I’m glad his payments since they agreed to end support were paid back but that ain’t no tale of poverty. I hate when people exaggerate situations when they have a point without the exaggeration, if that makes sense, because it just takes away from their valid point. 

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Rebecca said:

BTW, if Jo meant just a window unit AC that is really stretching my disbelief to think he couldn’t afford a new one immediately. You can buy a new Frigidaire one on amazon right now for $139, it is highly reviewed by thousands. 

And if he meant central air wasn’t working and didn’t want a window unit then there is this for a 500 square foot space, which should be fine for Isaac’s room at least, for $429: https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-ARC-14S-Conditioner-Dehumidifier-Activated/dp/B0028AYQDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=air+conditioner&qid=1551659148&s=gateway&sr=8-15 

Or get a used one of Craig’s list! I did in college. Just in case he reads here. 😆

If Isaac not having AC was his tale of woe, it could’ve been easily remedied by Jo. I do get his point and I’m glad his payments since they agreed to end support were paid back but that ain’t no tale of poverty. I hate when people exaggerate situations when they have a point without the exaggeration, if that makes sense, because it just takes away from their valid point. 

I didn't see the episode, but fixing the A/C upstairs could mean a whole system.  I am not sure if they use heat pumps there (they do both the heat and cooling of the house), but for 2 story houses, people often have more than one depending on the size of the house.  So if that is the case, and they need a whole new heat pump for upstairs, those cost a good 5000k plus to replace.  So I wouldn't jump to conclusions.  Most people would not just be using an air conditioning window unit where he lives--you would want a good cooling system.  

• Love 3

Then stick the $129 unit in the window until they can afford to fix the whole thing.  He said only Isaac was affected, so for a minute I thought maybe he's the only one with a room upstairs, but that would be an unusual layout for a house, with everyone but him downstairs.

It all sounds fishy.  How shocking.

But I still think that anyone earning TM money for 10 years now should have at least a few thousand socked away and not living paycheck to paycheck.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But I still think that anyone earning TM money for 10 years now should have at least a few thousand socked away and not living paycheck to paycheck.   

Exactly what I was going to post. They have late models cars and get paid to be on the show. If you don't have cash, then finance it. He said they were not broke. They both seem responsible so their credit scores should enable them to finance it if they have to. I think it's a jealousy thing because the sting on his savings would be much larger than Kail who can probably burn $5k and not notice. But that's not his business. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Rebecca said:

!

I think Gracie is confused about Ali’s abilities and the seriousness of her condition.  Look at all the mixed messages she’s gotten - Ali is fine, she can play sports, doesn’t always need her willchair and shouldn’t be treated differently but then they do treat her differently because they have to and she is obviously weaker than Gracie and can’t do the same things. I don’t think Leah and Cory have done a “well” job at explaining it all to Gracie and that’s why she’s said things in the past about Ali just being lazy or a baby and picks on her. I think Gracie thinks that Ali just has some differences but that she could do more and be “better” if she just wanted to, because she’s like 9 and has been mostly left to figure things out for herself in regard to Ali and her condition. I wonder if she should go to a doctor’s appointment with them once in awhile now that they’re older. Maybe that’s a weird idea but I think she needs a more educated adult to help her understand. Therapy is a great idea, I hope she’s actually still going.

I couldn't agree with you more about Gracie.  She's been shorted as much as Ali is by their parenting.

So I found out that Jordan sells medical supplies and equipment.  Plus he's a realtor. He was wearing scrubs one day, I wonder if he did that for the show or if he actually is one of the people who sells devices and trains surgeons on how to use them.  These people are often in surgeries telling the doctors what to do.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Then stick the $129 unit in the window until they can afford to fix the whole thing.  He said only Isaac was affected, so for a minute I thought maybe he's the only one with a room upstairs, but that would be an unusual layout for a house, with everyone but him downstairs.

It all sounds fishy.  How shocking.

Gotta agree there. I might sound like a "jellus hatter" but sometimes I do think about what I could do with all that extra money, even the supporting/sideline cast members' relatively small salaries. All you have to do is save it while also working a relatively normal, typical job 40 hours a week, and you're set for years to come! Maybe not in the way a lot of the cast members would like to be, but you'd have a very, very nice nest egg if all you did was work for $15 an hour full-time, live affordably, and then save all the TM money.

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 6
(edited)

@Rebecca, super true. Gracie seems kind of sassy in general so I wouldn't be surprised if she's sometimes rude to Ali just on her own- Ali seems to have a very different temperament and to be a bit more thoughtful and reserved, while Gracie is more outgoing and blunt. But if they've talked about her disability the same way they've talked about it among the adults, I'm sure Gracie is confused. She's heard all her life that Ali is 'sick,' but could walk/do cheerleading/whatever if she just tried harder or pushed herself. I'm sure she's like "why don't you just learn to do X?"

Re: Jeremy, I've always gotten from him that he's certainly no deadbeat given his very strong work ethic. But still, it wouldn't kill him to check in more often and call when he knows that's what his daughter wants. It seems like he prioritizes "me time" and time with his girlfriend of the moment a little more than her when he does have off. Still, it's hard to disrespect him too much when he so obviously works very hard, which is more than I can say for practically anyone on this series.

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

@Rebecca, super true. Gracie seems kind of sassy in general so I wouldn't be surprised if she's sometimes rude to Ali just on her own- Ali seems to have a very different temperament and to be a bit more thoughtful and reserved, while Gracie is more outgoing and blunt. But if they've talked about her disability the same way they've talked about it among the adults, I'm sure Gracie is confused. She's heard all her life that Ali is 'sick,' but could walk/do cheerleading/whatever if she just tried harder or pushed herself. I'm sure she's like "why don't you just learn to do X?"

Re: Jeremy, I've always gotten from him that he's certainly no deadbeat given his very strong work ethic. But still, it wouldn't kill him to check in more often and call when he knows that's what his daughter wants. It seems like he prioritizes "me time" and time with his girlfriend of the moment a little more than her when he does have off. Still, it's hard to disrespect him too much when he so obviously works very hard, which is more than I can say for practically anyone on this series.

I think it would be so, so interesting if leah's next baby daddy was a true deadbeat. Kail was the same way, and now is suffering and in shock because she has finally encountered the truly disinterested father. I wonder what Leah would do if she encountered a baby daddy who never saw the kid or paid child support!

i think it's so, so incredibly tone deaf to spend episode after episode complaining about Jeremy when poor Aubree is being stood up at the visitation center. And it doesn't even feel producer driven. She's doing what she always does, pitting an old love interest against a new one. 

• Love 6
On 2/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, DangerousMinds said:

Regarding driving someone else' seems car - does anyone know any men whose girlfriends drive their cars instead of them? I sure don't. Just seems very sexist to me to step aside and let your bf drive your own car,

My parents. My mom likes driving. My dad is neutral on it, but not a great driver. She drives unless she plans to have a drink then he drives.

both Jo and Kaili have always seemed sort of shady about child support. Their conversations never really make sense and they both have a tendency to talk about what they are owed, instead of what Issac is owed. I think Jo should go and get the child support, but I also feel like at least part of it is punish Kaili for not cancelling the original order.

I did laugh that Kaili was mad at Jo about what a computer formula told her. Jo didn’t say anything about $10 grand a month! That was the computer! Alsi, how much is she making that the computer formula came up with $10,000a month? I don’t make anywhere close to that, let alone enough for that to be a fraction of my income.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

Gotta agree there. I might sound like a "jellus hatter" but sometimes I do think about what I could do with all that extra money, even the supporting/sideline cast members' relatively small salaries. All you have to do is save it while also working a relatively normal, typical job 40 hours a week, and you're set for years to come! Maybe not in the way a lot of the cast members would like to be, but you'd have a very, very nice nest egg if all you did was work for $15 an hour full-time, live affordably, and then save all the TM money.

15 bucks an hr.  Texas minimum is still 7.50 or something like that.  The struggle is real. 

• Love 1