Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Reunion Part 2

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It reminds me so much of Mama Joyce from RHoA. Todd's mother had flown in for the wedding. Mama Joyce had been slandering Todd and his family for months. After meeting for the first time, Mama Joyce has the unmitigated gall to say to Todd's mother, "I heard that your deceased husband was a pimp and you were one of his prostitutes." Todd's mother is of course dumbfounded. She responds, "If you think you can say that about me and my family, you're messing with the wrong woman! Bitch!" Mama Joyce then goes running to Kandi and says, "THAT woman called me a bitch. All we were doing was talking about our families."

That's the exact type of ridiculous garbage person Teresa is. Joyce is a manipulative selfish user. I wouldn't be surprised if Teresa found everything Mama Joyce has done to be perfectly reasonable and acceptable. Blink. Blink. Blink. "Whut? She's her mother. Kandi shouldn't go against her family."

Joyce is one of the few people I dislike more than Teresa.  

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Doesn't make the euphemism any less of a real thing outside of Teresa-world.

It's all about context, tho.  The original poster was calling out Andy for catering to Teresa with his "away" talk.  It might be a euphemism in many communities and cultures but not Andy's, as far as I know.   So my insisting on saying "away" instead of "in jail/prison" he IS cow towing to Teresa and her desires, as it's not something he would normally say.  The whole reason he's saying it is to appease her.  In fact, I believe she's corrected him in the past when he HAS said "jail."  We're not dealing with someone like Delores saying it, where your argument would make total sense.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, no--but my family does have a habit of using the word "farkakte"!

I find sometimes Yiddish is the only language that can convey the feeling behind certain words...like shlep, chutzpah, oy, maven, shtick, nosh, mensch, schmuck, feh, I’m sure there’s more that escape me right now.  Farkakte not as common but a very useful one lol 

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, twilightzone said:

But Melissa has a reputation of being a gold digger.  Look at how many "careers" she has gone through.  Remember she never got along with Joe and Teresa's parents.  I still think it was lousy of her and Joe to go on vacation on the anniversary's Antonio's death. 

ETA:   What gives you the impression that Melissa help look after her nieces?  She never did that, regardless of what Joe Gorga promised.  It was Joe Giudice's family that stepped in.

Gold digger? How exactly are you defining that term? They've been married 15 years, they have three kids and seem to have a happy, affectionate marriage.  Where is "gold digger" coming from?  Because Joe makes decent money?  So is Jen a gold digger? Marrying someone who makes a decent living doesn't make someone a gold digger.  That's a MAJOR stretch. 

And Melissa has gone through as many "careers" as Tre or, frankly, any other housewife.  She's no different than any of them when it comes to vanity projects. 

• Love 8
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Mountainair said:

I have my own SIL issues but I have my nieces over all the time for sleepovers. No one ever has my boys over. Ever. Does Teresa ever have her neices/nephew over? Yet Melissa is expected to help out with Teresa's kids all the time? Why? I fail to see what Teresa is so busy doing? Her kids are old enough to be in school all day so other than after school activities I fail to see what Teresa is struggling with. Sounds like Nonno helps drive kids around. Gia at least is old enough to drive herself. 

The video montage of Teresa and Joe facing their prison terms did make me feel sorry for the kids but she's got no right to play the victim card and the "bad Aunt and Uncle" card when she failed as a mother to those children. That's not Joey or Melissa's fault. 

Anyone who has time to work out twice a day every day can't be THAT busy. 

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, twilightzone said:

Huh?  Teresa never asked Joe and Melissa to help with her kids.  She just wanted her brother to spend more time with their father.  When Joe Giudice first went away, Teresa got help (i.e., driving them around) from his side of the family.  The kids were younger and Gia didn't drive.

That poster was responding to YOUR post where you were saying that Melissa and Joe never help out with 

Tre's kids.  It was literally like, 4 posts back.

(edited)
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, twilightzone said:

Melissa has ricocheted from a wannabe pop singer, to an "author" - now to a boutique owner - who is being sued by her ex-partner for fraud.   Astute posers???  No.  People here HATE Teresa - so it's very bias. 

For starters, it's "biased" not "bias."  Secondly, Teresa has also been an author, wine distributor, restaurant owner and god knows what else.  And trying to throw stones at Melissa for being the subject of a lawsuit (merit of said lawsuit unknown), while Teresa has literally served a prison sentence for fraud is rich. 

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Neveragain said:

I find sometimes Yiddish is the only language that can convey the feeling behind certain words...like shlep, chutzpah, oy, maven, shtick, nosh, mensch, schmuck, feh, I’m sure there’s more that escape me right now.  Farkakte not as common but a very useful one lol 

But ALL languages should be able to convey the feeling behind the words, all languages except for the some of the more recent constructed languages (conlangs) used in TV, movies, and books. They usually don't have enough vocabulary to really get into that; however, some of the more knowledgeable linguists build tonality into their conlangs. This allows the linguists to significantly increase the vocabulary of the conlang and distinguish between male and female, formal and informal, or add emotional depth and emphasis to words or phrases.

Yiddish, like English, is primarily a Germanic language. One other thing they have in common is that they borrow liberally from other languages. Yiddish also includes some Hebrew, Aramaic, and Slavic words. Theoretically English should be the most facile at conveying emotional depth and emphasis, but its ability to acquire loan words is part of what makes English a little cumbersome. The language either creates, co-opts, or changes words so frequently that sometimes it's hard to establish clear emphasis rules for that word. This makes a very contextual language.

It probably doesn't help that English borrows from a wide range of languages with their own grammatical rules, meanings, and loan words. For example, about 8% of the words in Spanish have an Arabic origin; that's thousands upon thousands of words.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

But ALL languages should be able to convey the feeling behind the words, all languages except for the some of the more recent constructed languages (conlangs) used in TV, movies, and books. They usually don't have enough vocabulary to really get into that; however, some of the more knowledgeable linguists build tonality into their conlangs. This allows the linguists to significantly increase the vocabulary of the conlang and distinguish between male and female, formal and informal, or add emotional depth and emphasis to words or phrases.

Yiddish, like English, is primarily a Germanic language. One other thing they have in common is that they borrow liberally from other languages. Yiddish also includes some Hebrew, Aramaic, and Slavic words. Theoretically English should be the most facile at conveying emotional depth and emphasis, but its ability to acquire loan words is part of what makes English a little cumbersome. The language either creates, co-opts, or changes words so frequently that sometimes it's hard to establish clear emphasis rules for that word. This makes a very contextual language.

It probably doesn't help that English borrows from a wide range of languages with their own grammatical rules, meanings, and loan words. For example, about 8% of the words in Spanish have an Arabic origin; that's thousands upon thousands of words.

Not to speak for @Neveragain but I took it as an opinion that, for Neveragain (and me!), Yiddish just feels the best in certain situations. Sometimes my friend and I like to go above and beyond and imitate her Jewish grandpa by prefacing things with "What?! You want I should..." (complete with attempts to mimic Grandpa's voice, which is truly reminiscent of [or inspration for?] a sitcom character's). 

As a word nerd, I really dig your post. It's kind of what I wish I could say to people who fault non-native--English speakers for not being perfect (which is moot because it's not like those people would listen/understand anyway). 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not to speak for @Neveragain but I took it as an opinion that, for Neveragain (and me!), Yiddish just feels the best in certain situations. Sometimes my friend and I like to go above and beyond and imitate her Jewish grandpa by prefacing things with "What?! You want I should..." (complete with attempts to mimic Grandpa's voice, which is truly reminiscent of [or inspration for?] a sitcom character's). 

As a word nerd, I really dig your post. It's kind of what I wish I could say to people who fault non-native--English speakers for not being perfect (which is moot because it's not like those people would listen/understand anyway). 

There's a reason English is one of the most difficult languages to learn and I don't fault any non-native English speaker for not mastering it.  But Teresa gets no passes from me.  Her parents moved here when her mother was pregnant with her so she has literally lived here her entire life.  She was educated in American schools.  And the final nail in my judgment coffin of her is that her brother was raised in the same house as her and doesn't seem to have any of these issues with the language.   Teresa is just dumb and hides behind her parents' immigrant status.  Kind of like Peggy from BH.  The woman has lived here her entire life, has a degree in ENGLIGH from University yet pretends to not know about very common American sayings.  It's absurd.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, lezlers said:

There's a reason English is one of the most difficult languages to learn and I don't fault any non-native English speaker for not mastering it.  But Teresa gets no passes from me.  Her parents moved here when her mother was pregnant with her so she has literally lived here her entire life.  She was educated in American schools.  And the final nail in my judgment coffin of her is that her brother was raised in the same house as her and doesn't seem to have any of these issues with the language.   Teresa is just dumb and hides behind her parents' immigrant status.  Kind of like Peggy from BH.  The woman has lived here her entire life, has a degree in ENGLIGH from University yet pretends to not know about very common American sayings.  It's absurd.

I was making a general remark about non-native speakers, not implying that she is one. 

2 hours ago, abbottrabbit said:

We used to have a priest who said "The Jews may have invented guilt, but the Catholics perfected it." 

I've heard that one!

I think the guilt is a Catholic thing. I'm Irish - not Italian. But I was raised Catholic. I went to Catholic school. And that shit is practically beat into from the minute you set foot in the building. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Yes I think the tonality has very much to do with conveying the meaning.  For example, does anyone say the word capisce without the tonal delivery and probably a head shrug, shoulder shrug, or hand signs?  (Or all 3 lol)

You have just reminded me why I enjoyed my linguistics classes so much!

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not to speak for @Neveragain but I took it as an opinion that, for Neveragain (and me!), Yiddish just feels the best in certain situations

You can speak for me any time, that’s pretty much exactly what I meant!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I've heard that one!

I think the guilt is a Catholic thing. I'm Irish - not Italian. But I was raised Catholic. I went to Catholic school. And that shit is practically beat into from the minute you set foot in the building. 

Irish Catholic here.  My Mom could guilt with the best of them.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, lezlers said:

Exactly.

They don't know how ridiculous they sound and come acrossnor do they realize that we're laughing at their pathetic ass.

I often wonder if the one season of Peggy was planned. It was just Bravo saying to us  "Can you believe this crazy shit?" Thinking "This is to good to pass up because our viewers have got to see this crazy bitch who auditioned, who has lived here all her life, plus she has a degree in English, and insists on speaking as if she's FOTB! Seriously!"

It was a gift from Bravo giving us a great piece of meat to eat alive while laughing at her dumbass.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate it when a non-native speaker apologizes for their poor English. I've told many of them "Please don't apologize, I appreciate your effort. Your English is much better then my (insert language here). "

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, abbottrabbit said:

We used to have a priest who said "The Jews may have invented guilt, but the Catholics perfected it." 

I’m Catholic and my husband is Jewish - best joke I ever heard “What do you get when you combine a Catholic and a Jew?” - “twice the guilt at half the price”

so some reason, my hubby thought we probably shouldn’t put that on our wedding invites 😜

Will be married 24 years this year - 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Giselle said:

Exactly.

They don't know how ridiculous they sound and come acrossnor do they realize that we're laughing at their pathetic ass.

I often wonder if the one season of Peggy was planned. It was just Bravo saying to us  "Can you believe this crazy shit?" Thinking "This is to good to pass up because our viewers have got to see this crazy bitch who auditioned, who has lived here all her life, plus she has a degree in English, and insists on speaking as if she's FOTB! Seriously!"

It was a gift from Bravo giving us a great piece of meat to eat alive while laughing at her dumbass.

I can't even hear the word "Armenian" without busting a gut laughing.  Peggy was the gift that keeps on giving.

Jennifer is well on her way to that territory with all her Turkish talk.

• Love 5
On 3/2/2019 at 11:50 AM, renatae said:

That's really something, because weren't they getting along at the time? I would consider that an insult if I were Melissa. Of course, she was probably relieved she didn't have to participate in visitation!

I know I would’ve been insulted especially because she keeps throwing “family” on Melissa’s face. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Giselle said:

I hate it when a non-native speaker apologizes for their poor English. I've told many of them "Please don't apologize, I appreciate your effort. Your English is much better then my (insert language here). "

RIGHT?! And many of the people who make the remarks speak/write one language (and post obnoxious memes to that effect)...and typically not very well, I might add. 

20 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I can't even hear the word "Armenian" without busting a gut laughing.  Peggy was the gift that keeps on giving.

Jennifer is well on her way to that territory with all her Turkish talk.

Maybe the two should have a show together.... then again maybe not.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Maybe the two should have a show together.... then again maybe not.

Oh, dear Gawd, what a fucking shitshow that would be!  The bragging alone would turn into an epic catfight of the competing hair bumps.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Oh, dear Gawd, what a fucking shitshow that would be!  The bragging alone would turn into an epic catfight of the competing hair bumps.

Among other topics of contention.

• Love 1