Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Mariah's Big Announcement

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, laurakaye said:

To me, the difference with this family is that - as we seem to be discovering - the move was to benefit Robyn, who wanted to be near Dayton.  The Brown family is huge, so is it fair to uproot the lives of everyone for one person?  I mean, I think Dayton is the coolest of the Brown kids by far, and I'm thrilled that he's going to college.  But this entire move smacks of Robyn, who likely doesn't care a whole lot about what the move will do to everyone else involved, and Kody, who is firmly under  IN Robyn's thumb(enter name of orifice here) .

Fixed that for ya! :)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I am convinced that as soon as the Browns had made the deals on the Flagstaff land/home, the family stopped paying the mortgage on the Las Vegas houses, in the hopes that the houses would sell before they got foreclosed upon (which is looking unlikely).  That's just the sort of thing they'd do--and after all, if they plan on living in Flag for seven years or so, all that will be off their credit reports in time for the next move/bankruptcy filing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

I am convinced that as soon as the Browns had made the deals on the Flagstaff land/home, the family stopped paying the mortgage on the Las Vegas houses, in the hopes that the houses would sell before they got foreclosed upon (which is looking unlikely).  That's just the sort of thing they'd do--and after all, if they plan on living in Flag for seven years or so, all that will be off their credit reports in time for the next move/bankruptcy filing!

Their lenders are probably just waiting for the “jingle mail” if they haven’t gotten it already 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, lma said:

I have so many thoughts about Mariah and especially about her coming out. There are people who take on the characteristics of the person they’re with. To me, she is clearly a follower.

Like anybody, she wants love and attention. What kid in a family of nearly 20 kids doesn’t want to be noticed, especially by dear old dad? At first, it was by being the only “good little obedient child” to want polygamy.

Now it’s by being gay. Woke. Different.

I think in her particular case, her motives for coming out are suspect. Something about her does not ring genuine.

I always watch kodys expressions when Mariah says anything about herself and Audrey!  I get the feeling he's going along with it but very unhappy about her sexual preference!  Watch his face next time she stands up with another announcement about herself and Audrey!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, Gothish520 said:

Mykelti and Tony are probably the ones that annoy me the most, but I enjoy their appearances just for the snark that inevitably ensues. 

Tony looked huge in last Sundays episode!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, lma said:

I have so many thoughts about Mariah and especially about her coming out. There are people who take on the characteristics of the person they’re with. To me, she is clearly a follower.

Like anybody, she wants love and attention. What kid in a family of nearly 20 kids doesn’t want to be noticed, especially by dear old dad? At first, it was by being the only “good little obedient child” to want polygamy.

Now it’s by being gay. Woke. Different.

I think in her particular case, her motives for coming out are suspect. Something about her does not ring genuine.

Do you think she is faking being gay, so she can get some attention?  Or just the coming out part?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I would be an anxious mess if I were them. No one has a a job with guaranteed income. Everybody is always at home, staring at each other, while mortgage and rental payments are due month after month.

I wonder if this is why Kootie is so against an operation for Ysybels? scoliosis 

Do they have any type of health insurance or savings for such things?

I can see why Kootie is getting anxious.. He's getting older and probably has little or nothing set aside for retirement

I'd be a nervous wreck. 

• Love 3
On 2/26/2019 at 9:10 PM, Kyanight said:

He's going to be a Lularoe model for leggings.

Maybe if he donned a pair of leggings we'd finally be able to pin point why they bother with him. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, LAMMA said:

Maybe if he donned a pair of leggings we'd finally be able to pin point why they bother with him. 

Lol I love the "pin point" cuz I'm sure that's about the size of things... 

A tweezer and magnifying glass might come in handy as well. 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, LAMMA said:

Now where did I put my jug of brain bleach...

• LOL 6
On 2/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Julia67 said:

And, one more question, perhaps someone can explain to me:  if they are in such serious financial straits, HOW do they move (not cheap) and then buy expensive land to build more expensive houses while renting expensive temporary homes??  All without having sold their Vegas homes???  (I realize their loans were interest only in Vegas but it still makes no sense to me.)  They must have money somewhere or no bank/mortgage lender would approve ANY of that!  It makes no sense to me.  Do Janelle and Christine even work? And, wth does Kody do that gives them enough money for homes/lifestyle like this??  It boggles the mind.

Kody probably refinanced the 4 houses, the new bank appraisals came in at 600k +, original purchase prices were around 400k +, so he was able to take out the difference in cash, so he was able to pocket about 200k + times 4. He probably had 600k cash after those appraisals, or took out HELOCS in that amount (Home Equity Lines Of Credit). That's also how he came up with the listing prices of those homes...that's what the bank appraised them for during the alleged refi. 

Also adding, it's not always a good idea to go on bank appraisal ALONE when figuring out the selling price of a home. The bank can be close to being right, but also be very wrong as the bank doesn't take into account a lot of important details that may drive the sale/not sale of the house. Like all 4 houses being up for sale at once. That's a huge red flag for perspective buyers.

• Useful 5
  • Love 6

In my state banks have appraisals done during the home equity loan process and will only allow 80% of the equity in the home to be considered in the home equity loan!  So perhaps he walked away with far less.

Banks made a lot of changes after they lost their butts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 2/25/2019 at 10:37 AM, laurakaye said:

I'm so glad Christine referenced that prior convo between her and Meri, when Christine was the one on the outs with Kodoof and she went to Meri for advice...with Meri's advice basically being, "suck it up, buttercup."  I remember thinking, whoa - heartless there, Mere.  Now Christine hears the sweet song of Karma singingk Meri's name, and while she may have been apologetic to Meri (for telling the truth that when Meri walks into a room, her 1,000 pounds of baggage and self-tanner precede her), the fact that she stated outright - "yup, Meri.  You are On. The. Outside. Looking.  In" must have been so, so sweet.  The fact that she managed to do it with nary a smile nor smirk was even better.  Christine does the "false concern" face better than Robyn, and that's saying something.

I found that conversation VERY satisfying. Christine beat the crap out of Meri passive-aggressively like a champ! Meri didn't know what hit her. Christine is a pro at this and I was very impressed with her stealthy skills. Living this life makes one a master at this kind of deep-cutting conversation, chock-full of ugly implications, delivered with a sweet smile and a soft voice, the Real Houswives can only wish to have this talent. And Meri so very much had it coming, ever since that day, when Meri was in bed with an injured knee from skiing with Lover (vomit), and Christine came to her with a heavy heart, for help and guidance in handling her troubles. And Meri smugly said, "too bad so sad, it's all yer fault Christine, dill with it."

Christine's revenge was a dish served very cold indeed. And I found it delicious.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22
4 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

And Meri smugly said, too bad so sad, it's all yer fault Christine, dill with it.

And didn't she also preach the "keep sweet" crap?  Not much for taking her own advice, is she.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

In my state banks have appraisals done during the home equity loan process and will only allow 80% of the equity in the home to be considered in the home equity loan!  So perhaps he walked away with far less.

Banks made a lot of changes after they lost their butts.

Some banks are still lending freely. 

I agree that they couldn’t have all of the equity out at this point, post 2007/2008 crash. But they could still pull a lot. And that’s times 4 because they’re probably doing the same thing with 4 properties. 

I’m also guessing they haven’t been using their  TLC income to pay off their debt. 

I think the housing market absolutely bottomed out in Vegas after the crash (it was practically ground zero). So I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a bit of a “dead cat bounce” rise in value that allowed them to treat the properties like ATMs. 

• Love 1

With so many people to support, it would have been difficult to use their TLC income to pay off debts before the big move, much less after buying more real estate and renting houses.  We only have speculation as to what they might be getting paid per season, but even if it's a million dollars, that isn't the big time money for this group that it would be for a family of four or five.  Unlike another big TLC family, the Brown's hardly claim to keep a frugal lifestyle - no buying used and saving the difference for them!!

I've read that one of the Las Vegas houses is off the market?  Do we know if it has sold or if it's off market for another reason?  I would think the first of the group might be the most difficult to sell.  Even if I loved one of the houses and wanted to pay full price, I would be reluctant to risk possibly ending up as the only "non Brown" home owner in the cul de sac, or worse, owning an expensive home surrounded by foreclosures.  

(I don't believe they make a million dollars per season!!)

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

I've read that one of the Las Vegas houses is off the market?  Do we know if it has sold or if it's off market for another reason? 

I just checked Zillow and one is off the market, but does not appear as "Sold".  It could be under offer, but not closed yet, or they may have just pulled it off to reduce the price and then put it on the market at a lower price. There are tons of homes in that zip code for sale.

• Love 4

I thought they were likely paying interest only loans right now. Would there even be any equity to pull out? I think if there was ever equity in those houses they would have pulled it out long ago in order to pay bills. 

No way are they making a million a year. Jon & Kate were making around $20k an episode at their height and this combined, they didn’t each get paid. TLC tends to make just one lump sum for families. Sister Wives has never had ratings anywhere near as high and Jon & Kate. They likely make good money but nowhere near a million a year. The Browns, like the Duggars, have to take whatever is offered because they don’t have other options. No other network will want them because they can’t bring high ratings, even on cable. If they were making so much money from TLC, there wouldn’t be so many of them selling those ugly Lulu clothes.  

I also don’t get the backlash about Where Mariah went to college, either as an undergrad or for graduate school. She shouldn’t have to take a lesser school because she has siblings. Why can’t she just get financial aid like the rest of us? She would have qualified for the maximum for federal loans and maybe some private loans. I don’t believe the browns have enough money to put any kid through school. I don’t believe they put in much money for her education. I went to undergrad and law school and All was paid by financial aid. My family didn’t have the money to pay for my education. I will be paying over $100k in loans for the next twenty years (about 10 years have been paid so far) and that’s fine with me. I have always thought the Brown’s discussion on where to send Mariah was just for the cameras. You really think if one of Robin’s kids wants to go to an expensive school the family is going to debate about whether they can afford to send them? Hell, They are moving the entire family to another state for one of robin’s kids. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

It could be under offer, but not closed yet, or they may have just pulled it off to reduce the price and then put it on the market at a lower price.

I have heard that it's better to be a new listing with even a slightly lower price than a listing that is months and months old.  I know I'd look askance at a list that was 10 months old - my first thoughts would be "overpriced"  or "what's wrong with it".

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I have heard that it's better to be a new listing with even a slightly lower price than a listing that is months and months old.  I know I'd look askance at a list that was 10 months old - my first thoughts would be "overpriced"  or "what's wrong with it".

Exactly!  You'd think Janelle & Christine would have learned that in real estate school.

• Love 8

Such a great board, this is. I've had a crazy week so just catching up. Didn't catch the whole episode but would rather spend time reading all your posts! Thanks everyone and I think Kody's hair should have its own show! He is like Cousin It!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am not a realtor nor play one on the internet, but I would think that trying to sell 4 homes all at the same time in the same cult de sac would be a red flag to any buyers.  Either a buyer would think there is something wrong like a its a toxic dump ( well kinda is with all the sistawives hate ) or if explained there was a polygamous family, they may not agree with that lifestyle and be turned off by it or could care less there was a D list family living there or maybe just the cost of a plumber to get all of Cody's receding hairline out of the pipes.

You don't have to be a Realtor to have better knowledge and instinct than a lot of actual Realtors that are out there...looking at you, Janelle. She's had her license for what? 2 years now, and hasn't sold 1 house. Maybe she sold a condo? I don't remember. But if she had to make a living at it, she'd starve. And obviously she doesn't have to make a living at it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 3/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, Kohola3 said:

You're not hiding anything by pulling it off the market and re-listing it later. Anyone about to purchase a home goes on Zillow and looks at the buy/sell/tax history of the house. It's all out there in the open. Pea & Shell con games don't work with a buyer with half a brain. Listing, yanking, re-listing, etc. doesn’t look any better than a property sitting for 10 months. Also, the average time to sell a home varies depending on the market in any location. I sold a house in a weekend, my in-laws sold their house in 11 months-which was totally normal for both of our very different areas. Not a big deal to sit for 10 months--unless you must get out immediately, in which case, lower the price. That moves real estate the fastest.

There's a guy in my neighborhood trying to sell his house for a while now. He's listed, taken off the market, re-listed, etc. we all know the deal. It's a nice house, good street, just overpriced. If he just dropped the price, he would sell in a minute...

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

The financial disaster of the Browns fascinates me.

Their tax returns have to be insane!  Lots of dependents, filing as small business owners with LLR, MySisterWifesCrap, B&B in another state, Real Estate Agent etc.

They probably have a trust they put their TV $ money in and then pay themselves from there.  Doubt there is any savings or retirement.  

Kody is just an idiot & I think all the ladies recognize that now. 

Also the oddness is Christine and Meri discussing but no really discussing Meri’s cheating just makes it weird.  Meri already manages to make herself the victim when she caused all of this 

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Soaper410 said:

Also the oddness is Christine and Meri discussing but no really discussing Meri’s cheating just makes it weird.  Meri already manages to make herself the victim when she caused all of this 

Exactly,... talk about ignoring the elephant in the room.

I'd love to know what Kootie and the 3 wives REALLY think about Meri.

They must be somewhat pissed about the damage to their brand... All that BS about plyg life being so much better etc and how modest (LOLOLOLOL!!!!) they are... Oh yeah real modest blow jobbing a banana and cheating with a stranger online... Ugh! Idiots.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly,... talk about ignoring the elephant in the room.

I'd love to know what Kootie and the 3 wives REALLY think about Meri.

They must be somewhat pissed about the damage to their brand... All that BS about plyg life being so much better etc and how modest (LOLOLOLOL!!!!) they are... Oh yeah real modest blow jobbing a banana and cheating with a stranger online... Ugh! Idiots.

I think that is the main reason that the other wives even care about Meri and "Sam." Also, the fact that Meri very, very likely spilled family secrets and private info about the other wives to the catfish during their intimate conversations. Because other than that and the fact that Meri could've damaged their brand and the show income, I don't think the other wives would give a rat's hienie about Meri finding another man and leaving.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I think that is the main reason that the other wives even care about Meri and "Sam." Also, the fact that Meri very, very likely spilled family secrets and private info about the other wives to the catfish during their intimate conversations. Because other than that and the fact that Meri could've damaged their brand and the show income, I don't think the other wives would give a rat's hienie about Meri finding another man and leaving.

I can't help but wonder if the sister wives and Kody secretly thank Meri for bringing the KA-BOOM, KA-POW of "Sam" into their lives.  They managed 3 solid seasons on that topic and it's still an underlying current for storylines.  Without the catfish drama, I'm pretty sure the show would have been long gone by now.

If the catfish knew information that would damage the Brown's brand any further than what has already been exposed, I'm sure the attention-seeking "Sam" would have thrown it out there by now.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I can't help but wonder if the sister wives and Kody secretly thank Meri for bringing the KA-BOOM, KA-POW of "Sam" into their lives.  They managed 3 solid seasons on that topic and it's still an underlying current for storylines.  Without the catfish drama, I'm pretty sure the show would have been long gone by now.

If the catfish knew information that would damage the Brown's brand any further than what has already been exposed, I'm sure the attention-seeking "Sam" would have thrown it out there by now.

You have a good point there—it did give them more storyline!

I still have a hard time believing that Robyn, Janelle, and even Christine would really care if Meri made Parowan ( or anywhere else) her home. They may have varying degrees of caring for her as family— but what else does she contribute to the family dynamic except for showing up for filming?

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I still have a hard time believing that Robyn, Janelle, and even Christine would really care if Meri made Parowan ( or anywhere else) her home. They may have varying degrees of caring for her as family— but what else does she contribute to the family dynamic except for showing up for filming?

You have to admit it has kept it a little more interesting.  What would make it even better is if they were to confront her about why she sought out an online affair.  I get she was lonely and yes Kody admitted that he was part of that.  Robyn coming along really affected his relationships with the other wives.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MJS said:

This episode funded by the Flagstaff chamber of commerce?

This is funny to me because I get the impression that no one is that impressed in Flagstaff. The general consensus of the area where they bought land is go away we don’t want the attention. I’ve seen no mention of the new season starting in any  local publications, only a couple of mentions of them when it was discovered they moved to town. Maybe that will change now the flagstaff is more of a focus. 

• Love 4

I noticed that Kody must have booked a room with two beds for Meri's visit to Flag.

The "mountains" seem quite far from Coyote Pass and its dried weeds & sagebrush. The mountains near their Vegas cul de sac have more relief.

The snowy ride up through the snow reminded me of south central British Columbia in May.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, deirdra said:

I noticed that Kody must have booked a room with two beds for Meri's visit to Flag.

The "mountains" seem quite far from Coyote Pass and its dried weeds & sagebrush. The mountains near their Vegas cul de sac have more relief.

The snowy ride up through the snow reminded me of south central British Columbia in May.

Flagstaff reminds me of Cache Creek or Ashcroft  British Columbia, sage brush, wind and dirt.. Not nice.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It brought a lot of pain into people's lives and I will never celebrate someone's pain - but as reality shows go, that incident was pure gold.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, deirdra said:

The Coyote Pass property is very close to the entrance to the ski place and national forest hiking trails. It’s probably 20 minutes (without ski season traffic) from their property up to the ski lodge and lifts. I’d consider it close. 

Ill admit I don’t get the fascination with the trees, but I’ve always lived somewhere with trees and not in an arid desert climate. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Why can’t these two just stop already?   Go your separate ways, we already see that it’s over ffs.

I think TLC may be insisting that all the "wives" be part of the show or they won't continue filming.  Once the show is cancelled, I wouldn't be surprised if Meri doesn't split for her B&B in Utah.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, kimaken said:

I think TLC may be insisting that all the "wives" be part of the show or they won't continue filming.  Once the show is cancelled, I wouldn't be surprised if Meri doesn't split for her B&B in Utah.

Her facial expressions during Kody’s “I want one house announcement” were hilarious. The went between “get me out of here” to “omg” to “why me.” I wanted her to just straight say “why are you telling me his first?”

And can you imagine what was going on in the realtor’s head during this proclamation? 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, New2this said:

Her facial expressions during Kody’s “I want one house announcement” were hilarious. The went between “get me out of here” to “omg” to “why me.” I wanted her to just straight say “why are you telling me his first?”

And can you imagine what was going on in the realtor’s head during this proclamation? 

I hope she was getting paid extra for appearing on the show and keeping a straight face, or maybe I should say, keeping a poker face.  

• Love 2
On 3/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, Adiba said:

Meri certainly makes everyone put on their eggshell shoes, which has been good for ratings. I watch because of her and because she is so easy to dislike. 

When it’s all over Meri and her baggage and safe places and crying are no longer needed, she’ll just be a pain to have around. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Meri certainly makes everyone put on their eggshell shoes, which has been good for ratings. I watch because of her and because she is so easy to dislike. 

When it’s all over Meri and her baggage and safe places and crying are no longer needed, she’ll just be a pain to have around. 

Kinda like Robyn.  ::::picks out an eye goober and wipes it on my pants:::::     

• LOL 2
  • Love 1