Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E08: Week 8 - Hometown Dates

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 2/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, Adeejay said:

Colton, Colton, Colton.  It's "Thanks for inviting me into your home" not "your house".  If Colton wants to see what Hannah will potentially look like in 25 years, perhaps he should take a look at her mama.  Just saying. 

I'm so tired of hearing this. Besides the fact that it's often not the case, the implication that someone's potential looks in the future should be the main factor in choosing who to marry is incredibly shallow and stupid.

Based on what this etiquette "teacher" is saying about Hannah and her "umbrella" would make me skip meeting her parents and get on the next plane out of Alabama, STAT.

Yeah, it had the definite ring of a spoiled child looking for their next caregiver. Also, besides being slightly offensive to suggest that he needs etiquette lessons to be good enough for her/her family, what a lame date. Awkward, judge-y, and not fun...not exactly the impression you want to leave him with when he's deciding on the final 3. 

I didn't notice that much chemistry between Colton and Hannah this episode. He seemed most genuinely into Tayshia and his generic, repeated spiel of "falling in love" with every single one of them got a little more detailed and personal with her. He actually gave a specific place and time where he realized his feelings, while he just robotically rattled off the love speech to the other 3.

I'm glad Caelynn didn't make it, she strikes me as utterly fake. But I'm not much of a Cassie fan either (possibly influenced by her relationship to Caelynn) and it became painfully obvious in this episode that Cassie doesn't have much to say. It was painful to like, you know, kind of listen to her like, sort of, try to spit out a full sentence. Gorgeous girl, but not much going on upstairs. 

Not that many relationships last from this show, but this season seems particularly dead in the water. I'll be surprised if whoever wins is still in the picture by the After the Final Rose special

• Love 4

This episode was the first one I have seen this season.  I had lost interest, but the hometown dates are always fun and cringe-worthy and this one didn't disappoint me.  Knowing nothing at all about the girls, I expected Cassie the one to be eliminated last night.  She just seems so young and immature.  She's a speech pathologist?!  I never would have guessed. Her family was all very attractive.  Their house - I wonder if it was a beach house or their primary residence.  It looked really small for that size family.

Hannah's mother.  I kept thinking of Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire.

I was pretty impressed with the dads.  But as has already been mentioned here, it's BEFORE the girl goes on The Bachelor that you want to have the talk about needing to know someone longer/not be with someone who is also in love with three other girls at the same time.

• Love 3
On 2/25/2019 at 7:45 PM, kazza said:

Didn't Jade's dad say something like that to .. was it Ben? The seasons are starting to blend together. 

He said she was a wild mustang I think.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

Colton is very attractive in a typical kind of way.   He's got a great body and a nice disposition.   He is also very charismatic at times and shows a lot of kindness despite having to memorize a lot of lines for this show.  His aspirational acting chops are getting better.   My question is why don't I have any reaction when the show opens with him showering with the water cascading down his muscular bod etc. etc.    If the tables were turned and the water was pouring slowing over a nearly naked lady I think the universal male response would at least be positive LOL.    He literally makes me feel nothing.  Is he a cartoon or CGI and I'm just next level?   HAHAHAHAHAHAH

He's good looking, and he has a nice body, but he has no sensuality to him at all, like a Ken doll.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Forgot to mention how hilarious it was to watch Cassie's dad talk to Colton, it looked like Colton talking to himself in 20 years. Cassie's dad had that look of former athlete who's gone soft in middle age, so the cuts between Colton and dad looked like a Cold Case episode with a witness from the time of the crime vs present time. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 2/25/2019 at 8:09 PM, Mu Shu said:

So, like Cassie?  Is a like, speech, like? Pathologist?

get the fuck right out.  Whoever she’s speech pathologizing will, like? End up, like, illiterate?  She should have flunked out.  

I despise uptalk.  It makes so called intelligent adult women sound like insecure second graders. 

I AM a speech pathologist and although I do use 'like' (as in, "I *like* wine, but I love bourbon."...), the speech patterns on this show make me nuts.....especially the misuse of pronouns.  There's something about Cassie that seems so insincere (or am I just that bored?) and I haven't liked her from the beginning.

• Love 12

I just keep wondering how we got to this point so quickly with four women left that I don't believe for a second. But then we all knew Colton had no great charisma or much to say before and we thought he was at best a misstep in casting. He's turned out to be a pretty nice guy when there were more women around but now that I think about his marrying one of these four?? That made it kind of all come crashing down and I realized how fake each women seems in their own way... like they all have their 'angle' and none of those was 'finding a life partner' as the show likes to tell us it's about... it's kind of a giant mess. No wonder he jumped the fence and ran away to live with the gypsies instead of committing to someone.

• Love 7
On 2/25/2019 at 8:37 PM, saber5055 said:

Drinking game: "I don't want you to get hurt."

*drink*

Later in the show drinking game: "Virgin."

*drink*

Can we add "clarity" to this list?

As in,  "I hope (random activity/date/conversation) gives me clarity about our relationship."

Edited by rebel2u
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, LuvizBlind said:

It might indeed have been a good decision to get divorced.  

I didn't think she meant to say that the divorce itself was a bad decision, but  that the need for a divorce hinted that she wasn't all that great at choosing husbands.  I'm divorced and I'll be the first to admit that I made a bad decision in my first husband, ignoring red flags and serious practical obstacles, all in the name of love.

If Hannah B doesn't win, I think she would make a good Bachelorette for this show.  I prefer a more exotic beauty, myself, but I think the average young guy (and most of the bachelors are pretty average,) seems to adore the sort of tiny, perfect, cookie cutter beauty of a Hannah type.  Just don't ever let her rap again.

Cassie seems to bring the sex appeal, at least for Colton, but her large pink face always looks sweaty to me.  If she were older I'd think she had blood pressure problems.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I thought so also. I know this is a rhetorical question, but why do they have to have a proposal/engagement at the end? Why not choose one to "be with"? And the ones who get sent home, it's not like they are being sent to Australia on sail ship, never to be seen again. If you think you made a mistake, just pm them and start up again (yes I know, that's exactly what happened with Arie). I guess we all have to believe in the princess/diamond ring fantasy stuff.

Because that's what makes this show more intriguing than any old dating show.   We know that this is a unique (and somewhat ridiculous) situation, which makes it so compelling to watch.  Who dates 30 people (to start with) and gets engaged to a perfect stranger in 6 weeks??  It's much more interesting than watching a man choose a nice girlfriend after 6 weeks.  We want to see the train wreck!  We want to see someone else make bad choices!   That said, they don't absolutely HAVE to get engaged at the end, and a couple have chosen not to.  But for me, it's much more interesting when they do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Right, and as some Bachelor/Bachelorette finalists have said, it's sort of understood that on this show, the proposal really means, "Will you date me with a view to marriage."  The ones who said it were Sean and JP who both did end up married.   I'm never surprised when it does work out because where else, in what work place or even college classroom, are you likely to meet thirty opposite sex people of similar age, outlook and appearance-rating?  Throw young, exceptionally attractive people together and of course some will have "chemistry" with each other and if they're all the sort who apply for these shows they have other things in common, too.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Right, and as some Bachelor/Bachelorette finalists have said, it's sort of understood that on this show, the proposal really means, "Will you date me with a view to marriage."  The ones who said it were Sean and JP who both did end up married.   I'm never surprised when it does work out because where else, in what work place or even college classroom, are you likely to meet thirty opposite sex people of similar age, outlook and appearance-rating?  Throw young, exceptionally attractive people together and of course some will have "chemistry" with each other and if they're all the sort who apply for these shows they have other things in common, too.

Right. A majority of the proposals that came from this show have always been more of a trial "let's get engaged and then sell ads on instagram and then break up 6 months to a year later" rather than i'm proposing and the only thing on my mind is marrying you. By now, all the bachelor/ettes and and contestants know what the deal is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Best use of the word like, better use of the word love. lol

Yes, will you accept this shot of corn whiskey? 

But seriously, Cassie sounds like an idiot. Sorry, she should consult a professional who can help her sound less idiotic.  There are people who work on breaking awful speech patterns like uptalk, which is totally horrid and should disqualify one from living and speaking in polite society. 

• Love 5

If Hannah B ends up on the Bachelorette, I hope we’re not exposed to more rapping. I haven’t heard her speak enough to know if she could even carry it.

Cassie is just such a nitwit and major side eye to her recent reality past. Tayisha seems to be the full package but something feels off. Maybe their next date she’ll suggest being dumped into a Snake pit. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, the eskimo said:

I guess if I had to choose, I would want Cassie as the Bachelorette. She's so naturally beautiful, so that helps. I also think she would attract some interesting types of guys. I could definitely see a lot of men truly falling for the "surfer girl" type, and it makes for a much better season when the guys actually give a crap about the lead. She definitely doesn't seem that into Colton, but it might be fun to watch her actually fall for someone. BUT, not sure she has enough charisma and/or the ability to hold a conversation (though when has that ever been a requirement...)

I think it would be interesting to see how Cassie acts when she’s in love as well since Colton has no idea.

She would be sorta mimicking Colton’s adventure. He had no feelings for Becca or Tia but seems to actually like his final 4 this season.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, nutty1 said:

I'd want Kristina Schulman as Bachelorette....I love her.  Or someone totally new, but that will never happen.

I'd be into that.  My dream Bachelorette (if we insist on known faces) would be Lesley Murphy, but I doubt that would happen. Plus she has a new non-Dean boyfriend.

I think the next season has ex-pageant girl all over it.

12 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

If Hannah B ends up on the Bachelorette, I hope we’re not exposed to more rapping. I haven’t heard her speak enough to know if she could even carry it.

Cassie is just such a nitwit and major side eye to her recent reality past. Tayisha seems to be the full package but something feels off. Maybe their next date she’ll suggest being dumped into a Snake pit. 

I think you mean Hannah G.  Hannah B is the beauty-pageant girl who was dumped a couple of weeks ago.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I think you mean Hannah G.  Hannah B is the beauty-pageant girl who was dumped a couple of weeks ago.

Actually both Hannahs were in Miss Alabama pageants.

Caelynn calling her stepfather John and not dad made me sad. My aunt, whom my grandfather raised since she was five years old, called him dad, and even after he passed away and she reconnected with her biological father, she still refers to my grandfather as dad and to her biological father by his name.

I liked Tayshia's family the most (how adorable is her little brother?) but I still don't like Tayshia after last week's gossiping and this week's skydiving "surprise".

I know this is shallow and borderline mean, but I have to say it: If Caelynn is the next Bachelorette, I hope Fleiss pays for a very expensive plastic surgeon to fix whatever it was she had done to her face. It's so uncomfortable to look at, especially since she's only 23.

• Love 4
On 2/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Sweet-tea said:

I've got to hand it to Colton. It was an impressive jump. He made it look effortless. 

I could not figure out what was going on with Caelynn's sister's eyes. Was it poorly applied eye makeup or has she had too much filler? Her cheeks looked full and high, which I've seen in women with filler. It pushes their cheeks up and makes their eyes look smaller or distorted. 

Cassie's sister is really pretty! And Cassie is clearly thirsty, but not for Colton. 

Yes, the "falling in love" is a copout and is used all the time. I wonder if Fleiss and Harrison had a meeting at some point and decided this was approved Bachelor-speak. It's enough to lead the woman on but not commit, whereas "I'm in love with you" or "I love you" is (was) only allowed for the final pick until Ben broke the rules. I guess all bets are off now. 

Just once I'd like to see a woman leap into handshake position and the Bachelor not grab her, just leave her hanging there like a crab. Or maybe he topples over. Oh but I'm easily amused. 

I missed the two-on-one date. There are so many creative ways to leave a person stranded and humiliated. How could they skip it? 

I thought she had an eye deformity, most people think it was poorly applied makeup.

18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Actually both Hannahs were in Miss Alabama pageants.

Caelynn calling her stepfather John and not dad made me sad. My aunt, whom my grandfather raised since she was five years old, called him dad, and even after he passed away and she reconnected with her biological father, she still refers to my grandfather as dad and to her biological father by his name.

I liked Tayshia's family the most (how adorable is her little brother?) but I still don't like Tayshia after last week's gossiping and this week's skydiving "surprise".

I know this is shallow and borderline mean, but I have to say it: If Caelynn is the next Bachelorette, I hope Fleiss pays for a very expensive plastic surgeon to fix whatever it was she had done to her face. It's so uncomfortable to look at, especially since she's only 23.

who she is only 23?? wow. ok I had no idea.

I love Cailynns hair and she's got a great body but her face is so plastic looking. Cassies sister was stunning. I hated the stunt Tayisha pulled. Colton was genuinely terrified. He seems most into Tayisha and Cassie. I can't believe he todl each family the exact same thing!! I mean I'm not sure what you are sup to say in that situation but not verbatin to four families I'm Fallin in love with ur daughter. Lol. I get that he's smitten with Cassie and wants her to be the one but is worried and frustrated with her lack of feelings. Interesting he really wants the two who challenge him. He wasn't into Tia at all and she was totally smothering him. Cailynn is all I love you Colton and he was like see ya! I'd say Colton will be a very good adulterer one day. He seems to be able to compartmentalize his feelings rather well if hes able to fall in love with four women at once. Lol. And there a no guilt or second thoughts about promising these families he's all about their daughters because he's falling in love with her. Yeah all four of them. I've never dated four ppl at once I couldn't even imagine!, but in my teen years I did date two guys at once and they knew about each other. Similiar situation as Colton because I wasn't sleeping with either just a lot of kissing lol. But I do know my experiences with each were different and my feelings for each guy were very different and I couldn't have said I was falling for both of them. When I got attached to one I stopped seeing the other. Colton is full steam ahead talking to all four girls basically the same way. At least three of these women say Colton makes them feel safe. Probably because he is so inexperienced it seems impossible for him to have ill intentions or they think his first piece of ass will become the love of his life and he will always be loyal to her

I see the opposite. He has gotten all this attention he never got in high school. If I were his final choice I'd run far far away because I don't think he's safe. You can't feel exactly the same way about four ppl 

And if his chosen one sees he acted exactly the same and said the same words to three other girls she's not going to be happy. 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, kira28 said:

And if his chosen one sees he acted exactly the same and said the same words to three other girls she's not going to be happy. 

And yet this it the messed up situation this show is designed to bring about. Multiple possible partners are all called upon to selectively forget the facts that everyone is dating the same guy/girl and kissing the Bach/ette on the very same night and then talking to each other/supporting each other in the endevour. It's twisted... and somehow "the one" goes on like "What other people, he/she was going to pick me all along so the others don't matter, I 'won'." That doesn't challenge their faithfullness now or in the future. It's life in Bizarro Land.

And the girls don't get unhappy... they just move along to try to 'find their person' on Bachelor In Paradise or other sanctioned Bachelor Family interactions.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, abracadabra said:

I definitely heard "CaeTlynn" instead of Caelynn a couple times.

Caelynn's sister looked stoned.

On next week's preview it sounds like Hannah says, "There are farts flying between us" rather than "sparks"

I heard "farts flying," too! I really think that's what she accidentally said.

I wonder if Caelynn's name used to be the more common Caitlyn and she decided to remove the "t" about the same time she decided to remove most of her nose.

Tayisha is getting lots of heat for the sky diving date but I've read in several places that the producers plan the dates.  Just think of all the trouble and expense they must have had getting cameras inside the plane and some cameramen going down at the same time. The show probably wouldn't set that all up just because a contestant wanted it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, Adeejay said:

Colton, Colton, Colton.  It's "Thanks for inviting me into your home" not "your house". 

I think he actually said "Thanks for letting me into your house." Which is even worse! It sounds like he was a sketchy looking guy who knocks on your door at midnight asking to use the phone because his car broke down. And you're still wondering if you were stupid to let him in. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Colton really was following a script when asking each father's "permission" to marry their daughter.  Now whether that was the producer's script or one that Colton wrote in his own head is anyone's guess.  It is so archaic to think that a grown woman needs her father to give permission to get married.

For once, I wish the bachelor would sit down with both parents and say,

"I know this is an awkward situation for you and your family.  I'm really interested in your daughter and if I decide to propose to one of the four women left, I will take it seriously.  A reality show is not a typical place to meet your soul mate, so I can understand why you might be skeptical.  I just hope you have been given enough time with me and have faith in your daughter's judgement so that if she is the final one and I propose, you are happy at the thought of us spending the rest of our lives together."

No "permission", no "blessing" (what if they are atheists?), just I hope you can be happy.

• Love 2

Hannah’s mom looks like a cross between Dustin Hoffman as Tootsie and Georgia Engel. Anyone else as old as me? She played georgette on Mary Tyler Moore. More recently, she played Robert barone’s mother in law on Everybody  Loves Raymond. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3