Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 Discussion

• Start Topic

I am a country music fan so I’m not unhappy about Team Blake being dominant. However, I do agree that the voting format needs to change... as someone said earlier, 20 (or so) votes total to split among the artists instead of a possible 10 per artist. 

I understand that some of you think it’s time for Blake and Adam to go... if that happens, I hope The Voice still has a country judge.

• Love 1

Maelyn should have an advantage strategically, though, since the country block vote is split three ways now.  She also seems to have the best iTunes sales of the lot, with three of her songs still in the top 200, last I looked. I don’t know if the iTunes purchases are still x5 in votes? But that should help a lot.

Andrew has improved a lot in the last two performances. Much as I find having three of them in the finale a bit much, I did like his “Simple Man” in the Instant Save the best. 

The difference between Blake and Blake’s team, is that when Blake sings I can understand every. single. word. eyes closed and not looking at the close captioning. Though, to be fair, the Bring Your Own Band aspect probably also helps.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Three guys from Team Adam against Craig Wayne Boyd from Team Blake and CWB won.

OK thanks. That's what I'm hoping for, just that it's not the country guy who wins. 🙂

• Love 1

I’m not convinced that Blake’s dominance is permanent or baked into the rule changes. Kelly was looking very strong last season. She kept her top 3 the longest and won both of her first two seasons. It looked like she might be the most popular judge.This season, her team fell apart really quickly. Even if Team Blake hadn’t taken up so much space she would have been lucky to get Rod in the finale past Shawn. Blake has a great track record, but he has been shut out of the finale in the past. A lot still depends on where the talent chooses to go.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I don't think Shawn helped his case by picking that particular Bruno Mars song but I still feel Andrew would have  made it through no matter what.

Shawn should have chosen something by Marvin Gaye or Luther Vandross which would have showcased his voice and been more familiar to the audience. Andrew gave a great performance which is why he was saved. I disagree that Blake should leave I'm not a country music fan and I love him. American Idol's ratings tanked after the three original judges left the show.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Gel said:

The difference between Blake and Blake’s team, is that when Blake sings I can understand every. single. word. eyes closed and not looking at the close captioning. Though, to be fair, the Bring Your Own Band aspect probably also helps.

Amen!

Maybe it’s the teacher in me, but because Blake has made a point of explaining how enunciation is a big deal for him (and I agree 100% with him on that), I’m always surprised that his singers don’t improve in that one specific area.

By the end of the school year, my students are almost always proficient in the areas that I am passionate about. They’ve gotten comfortable with public speaking and/or presenting to the class. They have also eradicated the word “like” from their vocabulary. It takes a minute, but it can be done! 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 6

Any Rod fans here who can explain his appeal?

Don't watch the show but my bff does, and she's lost her mind over this guy & keeps sending me links.  I thought his duo w/Kelly was nice but I'm obviously missing something.  What?

(edited)

Oy, this show has been American Idoled. Mediocre white men can outlast any woman or minority. I can't stand Adam but he and every single judge knows what is going on. White, male contestants have such an advantage over more talented women and minorities that it has to be depressing to see. 

If Adam wants to win, all he has to do is pick an entire team of meh white guys. That's what Blake is doing and it keeps working for him.

If they keep the cross battles next year, the smartest thing to do for everyone not Blake is to cross battle with the other 3 judges only and when Blake picks you, sacrifice your worst singer to his mediocre white guy. Adam's team got destroyed because he spent the first cross battle night only battling Blake and it killed his team. 

Edited by pivot
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, voiceover said:

I just like his voice. That's really all it is lol.

8 hours ago, pivot said:

If Adam wants to win, all he has to do is pick an entire team of meh white guys. 

That should be pretty easy for him.

(edited)
11 hours ago, pivot said:

Oy, this show has been American Idoled. Mediocre white men can outlast any woman or minority. I can't stand Adam but he and every single judge knows what is going on. White, male contestants have such an advantage over more talented women and minorities that it has to be depressing to see. 

If Adam wants to win, all he has to do is pick an entire team of meh white guys. That's what Blake is doing and it keeps working for him.

I had stopped watching THE VOICE several seasons ago because of this -- but then it was a long string of Blake's teeny-bopper girl country singers winning against much more talented singers on other teams. And, like you said, it's as obvious as the fate of every random black guest star on STAR TREK -- minorities will be eliminated. That is frustrating and a sad commentary on THE VOICE viewers. I also got sick of the judges' repetitive yammer -- it would be better if that was cut WAY down. I'm sick of hearing "YOU are the reason this show is important," and "YOU can win this whole thing!" and "Your voice has such POWER" and "We really learned who you are through that song" and "I can't wait to buy your album / you will fill up concert arenas" and "AMERICA, please, please, please vote for XX!". Gah.

I came back this season because I love John Legend and was curious how he would fit into this format. He's been fine, but not good enough to make me come back. I'm out after this (I'm too OCD to quit before finishing the season LOL). I don't mind Adam at all, but note to future contestants -- if you pick Adam for your judge, you haven't been paying attention! The producers are going to have to offer incentives to pick Adam or he may never fill a team out of the blinds.

Edited by ChiMama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Bridget said:

Amen!

Maybe it’s the teacher in me, but because Blake has made a point of explaining how enunciation is a big deal for him (and I agree 100% with him on that), I’m always surprised that his singers don’t improve in that one specific area.

By the end of the school year, my students are almost always proficient in the areas that I am passionate about. They’ve gotten comfortable with public speaking and/or presenting to the class. They have also eradicated the word “like” from their vocabulary. It takes a minute, but it can be done! 

When Blake sings with his contestants, he is so much better than them.  You have the whole school year to teach your students.  That's why they improve.  I don't think the coaches really spend that much time with their contestants during the week.  Then the show just seems to eliminate contestants too quickly. 

15 hours ago, voiceover said:

Don't watch the show but my bff does, and she's lost her mind over this guy & keeps sending me links.  I thought his duo w/Kelly was nice but I'm obviously missing something.  What?

I like Rod with certain songs.  I thought he didn't do well with his duet with Kelly.  But he was great with his duet with Maelyn.  The same thing with his solos. 

14 hours ago, pivot said:

If they keep the cross battles next year, the smartest thing to do for everyone not Blake is to cross battle with the other 3 judges only and when Blake picks you, sacrifice your worst singer to his mediocre white guy. Adam's team got destroyed because he spent the first cross battle night only battling Blake and it killed his team. 

Adam made a huge mistake last season.  However, I do like that he usually gets interesting artists.  I like when there are different styles in the show.  I think it's better for a contestant to show the style they like even if it means they will be eliminated earlier.

As I previously posted, they should get rid of cross battles and change the voting so we don't have the Country Voice.

• Love 3

I am actively rooting against Gyth as, imo, there's no reason to choose God Bless the USA--with its massive red-state/Trump supporter branding--unless you're making a play for those voters (plus, of course, God and patriotism).  I get that vibe from him -- as if "white country guy" dominance wasn't already being rubbed in our faces enough this season.

I did enjoy Kelly saying it wasn't such a good performance because of his inability to sustain the notes, and John humorously, ironically, noting that they were saluting British music with the Beatles and Gyth dug in with the most "We're Americans here, dammit" song there is.

Other than that, this seems like the worst season ever, musically, which is too bad as John and Kelly are great additions.

• Love 12
(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, Booklady1017 said:

Okay, I am going to say something that might upset a few, I'm not sure if we have any Gyth fans here, but I think he mainly made it through based on his looks (ducks).

I understand the sentiment. He is cute (though a little young for me) but I’m a fan because he blew the doors off in the blinds. I thought hands down he had the best blind performance. Sometimes one performance will get you fans and they stay fans. I love his voice. Having said that, his last couple performances wasn’t as good. But I think he’s coasting more on the blind performance than his looks though I’m sure there is some of that. No singer can sing everything. I’m still a fan and I still love his voice and he’s still my top vote. 

Mileage varies I know. 

Edited by MzLiz
Because spelling matters
  • Love 3
(edited)

I did like Gyth early on.  But, now, I actually like Dexter more.  And, Andrew isn't bad either. I think that because I am such a big country fan, I have very high expectations and you really need to stand out, imo.  I guess my standard is Randy Houser and he was one of the big standout  country males from a few years ago.(Not including the huge stars like Luke Bryan, Blake and Keith Urban.)  Randy set the bar for me.  So, looking at Dexter and Andrew.....compare them to Randy Houser. Here's a video.  They look a lot alike, but, to me, RANDY has an exceptionally good voice. I guess there's room for everyone, though.  And OH, Maelyn is my favorite and I vote for her for the win! lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 5/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, ChiMama said:

but then it was a long string of Blake's teeny-bopper girl country singers winning against much more talented singers on other teams.

One.

Blake has had one teen country singer that won, Danielle Bradbery. She actually been on tour nearly every year since. Which is a lot better than most.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

But, now, I actually like Dexter more.  And, Andrew isn't bad either.

I like them both but I guess if I had to pick I like Andrew better. I really don't care which one wins.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, xfuse said:

One.

Blake has had one teen country singer that won, Danielle Bradbery. She actually been on tour nearly every year since. Which is a lot better than most.

I like them both but I guess if I had to pick I like Andrew better. I really don't care which one wins.

Kelly had two teen girls win from her team. Brynn and Chevel. I thought the talent was more diverse this year. I love Maelynn and liked Shawn and Kim. My favorite country singer is Andrew.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I did like Gyth early on.  But, now, I actually like Dexter more.  And, Andrew isn't bad either. I think that because I am such a big country fan, I have very high expectations and you really need to stand out, imo.  I guess my standard is Randy Houser and he was one of the big standout  country males from a few years ago.(Not including the huge stars like Luke Bryan, Blake and Keith Urban.)  Randy set the bar for me.  So, looking at Dexter and Andrew.....compare them to Randy Houser. Here's a video.  They look a lot alike, but, to me, RANDY has an exceptionally good voice. I guess there's room for everyone, though.  And OH, Maelyn is my favorite and I vote for her for the win! lol 

That singer Randy Houser is very good and actually Dexter is the best country singer this season.

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maelyn is my favorite too.

• Love 1

I think the show would be much improved with Adam gone, so long as the producers didn't try to create the same dynamic with a new person (2 women on the panel would be nice) and Blake.  Adam is a tool.

I like Blake and I like that he supports his team but I don't like accusing Kelly and John of being jealous when there's no way on God's green earth (as long as we're voting for people because they choose songs about God and the USA) he didn't know that the criticism was completely deserved.  Especially in Carter's case, but the other guy was WAY out of tune as well.

I thought Rod was pretty fantastic last week both in his duet and in his solo.  Although I also think Dexter's solo was terrific.  If it were up to me they and Maelyn and Shawn would be the final four.

• Love 4

I don't like that Hinder song and I haven't liked Andrew in the past... but I really liked that performance. Probably the biggest surprise of the finale.

Maelyn clearly has the best voice. I wish she had done a less tired cover and didn't do so many strange things with the pronunciation, but the end was effective. There's a reason that show is done over and over on these shows.

I liked Dexter's cover too. His tone is nice.

I didn't like any of the originals except maybe Gyth's was ok. I thought Maelyn's original felt too much like a Florence reject. Andrew's was my least favorite. Did he sing something about shooting a stop sign? I remember something ridiculous about shooting.

Mr. Rain, who has never watched an episode of The Voice ever, was passing through the room as Gyth was singing, and said. "Boy, he sure is out of tune, isn't he??".    Out of the mouths of babes . . . . . . .

• Love 8

I hope you all vote for Maelyn. She was amazing. Dexter was good but she still blew everyone away. I only think Maelyn sounded good on her original song and Dexter was amazing on the Randy Houser song.

Just now, Ladyrain said:

Mr. Rain, who has never watched an episode of The Voice ever, was passing through the room as Gyth was singing, and said. "Boy, he sure is out of tune, isn't he??".    Out of the mouths of babes . . . . . . .

Amen Mr. Rain 😁

9 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Maelyn has been my favorite from her audition.  I don't listen to country but if I had to choose from the other three, I like Dexter. 

Agreed on both accounts.

• Love 3

Well, they certainly tried to give Maelyn every advantage. Getting to go last with the secular equivalent of God Bless the USA (or any other OTT patriotic/Christian song you could think of). Saddling Dexter with his Blake duet last. Basically having Adam coronate her every time he spoke...

It will probably work, but I'm not completely sold that Dexter or Gyth won't still come out on top overcoming a 3-way split country vote. 

• Love 2

I also got sick of the judges' repetitive yammer -- it would be better if that was cut WAY down. I'm sick of hearing "YOU are the reason this show is important," and "YOU can win this whole thing!" and "Your voice has such POWER" and "We really learned who you are through that song" and "I can't wait to buy your album / you will fill up concert arenas" and "AMERICA, please, please, please vote for XX!". Gah.

THIS X 1,000,000,000!

I've given up because of the above...and because I can't understand more than 3 words of a song unless I know the song to start with (I'm not counting the massacre of the Beatles, for which I tuned in then tuned out).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Maelyn is one of only less than a handful of singers that have been on this show that actually affect me when they sing. 

10 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Well, they certainly tried to give Maelyn every advantage. Getting to go last with the secular equivalent of God Bless the USA (or any other OTT patriotic/Christian song you could think of).

Hallelujah is NOT a Christian/God song.  It has been misrepresented SO many times that people think it is, but it is not.  That said, Maelyn did a truly effective version.  Usually when people do that song on this show they end up screeching, the fact that she always pulled back and didn't take it over the top is a testament to her abilities.  She also kept up perfectly with John on Unforgettable.  She is definitely the best singer.  Whether or not she wins is anybody's guess.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

Hallelujah is NOT a Christian/God song.  It has been misrepresented SO many times that people think it is, but it is not.

Say it again for the folks in the back!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

Hallelujah is NOT a Christian/God song.  It has been misrepresented SO many times that people think it is, but it is not.  That said, Maelyn did a truly effective version.  Usually when people do that song on this show they end up screeching, the fact that she always pulled back and didn't take it over the top is a testament to her abilities.  She also kept up perfectly with John on Unforgettable.  She is definitely the best singer.  Whether or not she wins is anybody's guess.

I  think "secular equivalent" means not a Christian/God song but one that is for "big moment" or resonates with people in an emotional bonding sort of way.  Like GBTUSA is supposed to bring out strong patriotic feelings. Which it doesn't for me, since I think it moved to hokey land some time ago and doesn't live here anymore, but it does or might do for others.  Personally I've never heard anyone describe Hallelujah as a Christian/God song but it does seem to relate to loss and grief and those feelings and people react to it in a strong, emotional way.  Not patriotic or religious but something else.   

Looking forward to the finale, not for the competitors who I have no real interest in although they all seem worthy enough each in his or her own way, but because I enjoy watching the established stars and how they react (or not) while singing with the nobody/wannabe contestants.  

• Love 1

I’m rooting for Maelyn and she did great with all her songs, but for the love of all that is good in the world, would someone PLEASE rescind the rights to Hallelujah so no one on this show or any other singing show can ever, ever do it again? Please? Pretty please? 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Dodginblue said:

Personally I've never heard anyone describe Hallelujah as a Christian/God song but it does seem to relate to loss and grief and those feelings and people react to it in a strong, emotional way.  Not patriotic or religious but something else.   

People erroneously use "Hallelujah" as a pseudo-religious song because the word itself is considered sacred and because of the King David and Samson imagery.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen it performed with singers dressed in white, or with a robed choir, or some damn thing.  People latch onto that one word and disregard the rest of the lyrics.  It's a beautiful song in the right singer's hands, like Maelyn's .  Also, agree-- it should be put on hiatus. 

I loved how John Legend gave Maelyn the last note of "Unforgettable," with a courtly bow. 

That wave-the-flag song made me stabby. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Maelyn is one of only less than a handful of singers that have been on this show that actually affect me when they sing. 

Agreed!

13 hours ago, Gel said:

Win or lose, I’d like to hear Dexter on country radio. 

He’s the only one from Blake that I like.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

I’m rooting for Maelyn and she did great with all her songs, but for the love of all that is good in the world, would someone PLEASE rescind the rights to Hallelujah so no one on this show or any other singing show can ever, ever do it again? Please? Pretty please? 

I’m tired of hearing that song. That being said though, she sang it went well.

The only time I hear the song Hallelujah is on singing shows... so I don't really hear it very often.  The only other person who sang it that sticks in my mind was Jeffrey Gutt on X Factor - he went on to join Stone Temple Pilots a few years after being on X Factor.

Singing starts at 2:15- 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dodginblue said:

Personally I've never heard anyone describe Hallelujah as a Christian/God song but it does seem to relate to loss and grief and those feelings and people react to it in a strong, emotional way.  Not patriotic or religious but something else.   

I think this song is way over-exposed too, but Maelyn's rendition was beautiful. I was full on ugly crying by the end, immediately rewound to hear it again, and then bought the song on iTunes (along w/Unforgettable). She SHOULD win, but my money is on one of the country dudes (please dog, just NOT Guyth the Panderer).

Edited by ChiMama
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ChiMama said:

I think this song is way over-exposed too, but Maelyn's rendition was beautiful.

1 hour ago, Archery said:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen it performed with singers dressed in white, or with a robed choir, or some damn thing.  People latch onto that one word and disregard the rest of the lyrics.  It's a beautiful song in the right singer's hands, like Maelyn's .  Also, agree-- it should be put on hiatus. 

The problem is the wrong singers are usually trying to show they have "range" or some "emotional connection" and they end up screaming the song.  This song in their hands becomes unhearable.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maelyn has something that's become a rarity on singing competitions--lovely tone and pitch and, best of all, vocal restraint, as she showed on "Hallelujah" despite the temptations many others have given into with it. She hits the notes cleanly and doesn't oversing. I really hope she wins.  I enjoyed "Unforgettable" as well. It was nice to see a live duet of it (as opposed to Natalie Cole singing to a recording of her father--Maelyn and John basically used the same arrangement). She did well and John, like Blake, seems a generous singing partner.

Dexter and Andrew were fine. Gyth was off and there's no reason for him to win other than looks.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 9

Well, I thought Maelyn was superb as usual and should win it all.  But the surprise for me was that I thought that Andrew had the best night among the country singers.  I thought he easily had the best duet of the three, actually outsinging Blake (which you don't see that often).  I really liked what he did with the Hinder song and though his original was kind of cheesy, he performed it with gusto.

Dexter did do a great job on his cover, but there was nothing to his original and his duet with Blake was a lot of fun, but not much else.  Gyth was just off once again.  He's really gone down hill since his blind audition.

So for me, the final order should be:

1. Maelyn

2. Andrew

3. Dexter

4 Gyth.

• Love 3

Well good, so happy with this decision. Congratulations Maelyn! I wish we could find out how much vote splitting came into play among the Blake/Country fandom. Surprised at Gyth coming in 2nd - I didn't think he was the best singer on Blake's team, not i recent times!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

Surprised at Gyth coming in 2nd - I didn't think he was the best singer on Blake's team, not i recent times!

Yep. I'm guessing it was his good looks that got him some of those votes.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

It was amazing to see Maelyn win!!!!  She really deserved it. During her duet with Sarah McLaughlin (sp?), I thought Maelyn sounded better than SM at certain points.   I had checked out a bit during the middle of the season after the ones I liked kept dropping out, and then I heard Maelyn sing that song in the red dress standing on the huge piano and I was hooked back in.

• Love 4

Congrats to Maelyn!  She was the favorite in my family since her blind audition (wasn't that the very first audition we saw this season?) so we were really thrilled for her.  And I love Sarah McLachlan.  That duet was SO good.

• Love 4