Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't believe this starts again on Monday...

I still have Voice burnout from last season (that I barely made it through). How can we miss you if you won't go away?

My initial wishlist would firstly be* no more tween sensations.

Secondly no 'zero chair turn' comeback competition, we have enough hours of auditions already! Let a coach bring back one of their contestants if they have to go that route.

* My real wish would be for Adam to take the season off but I know that won't happen...

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 11

Maelyn was definitely a night one standout for sure. Although Fields of Gold being an all-time favorite song may have factored into that judgement at least a little.

Lisa Ramey narrowly missed out on being an extremely rare, two season/no-chair turn. I can only thing of one (a furniture mover guy from Minnesota in two of the earliest seasons), but I'm sure there has to be at least a couple others.

Other than that, I sort of liked Trey, and LiLi...and maybe Karen, although I think I need to hear a little more from her to make a more definitive decision...

• Love 4
On 2/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, Wandering Snark said:

Secondly no 'zero chair turn' comeback competition

Quoting myself in order to say that, obviously, tonight could have gone better for me as I took a hit in BOTH expectations. I kept asking myself why I was watching this again.

I feel they have to say how amazing everyone is and I was mostly not feeling it.

I also don't understand why people that seem to be 'normal' human beings with functioning brains pick Adam.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I loved Maelyn she had a fantastic voice even without the disability backstory. I didn't like Lisa I thought she screamed rather than sang. I liked Kim but I didn't understand the hype about her appearance. There have been white soul singers before. John Legend is a major upgrade over Jennifer.

• Love 4
On 2/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, Wandering Snark said:

Secondly no 'zero chair turn' comeback competition

I’d add no more duos- it’s only ever a gimmick on this show, one singer is invariably stronger than the other, and logically, two people cannot be “the” voice. I mean, why not have a whole choir try out at that point?

Otherwise, I actually found this to be a decent start- it felt like there were no real head scratchers (apart from Lisa I suppose), and it doesn’t feel like anyone is being hyped as a presumptive winner (yet). There were mostly just a bunch of good performances, which is all I really want from season 16 of this show.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Sile said:

Were these taped before or after Adam backed up the truck last season?

No kidding. If this was filmed after he threw his own team member under the bus for a teenager with a panic attack, how would anyone in their right mind trust him as their coach? He really needed to take this season off. Between his conduct last season, and the blow back from his craptastic Super Bowl performance, he'd be the last person any sane person would pick. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Between his conduct last season, and the blow back from his craptastic Super Bowl performance, he'd be the last person any sane person would pick. 

That was my thinking exactly... I'd treat Adam like he has a contagious disease at this point. And speaking of the Moron Five, this photoshop job was my wishing how the 'paper lantern' part had showed on live tv. I wish I was there with a black marker myself, I wouldn't have put 'Dream' on mine it would have been more like 'Adam You Suck!'

adamsucks.thumb.jpg.35eddbeef0bf4bcc0ee8826ecd1e5996.jpg

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I also don't understand why people that seem to be 'normal' human beings with functioning brains pick Adam.

I hate when that happens. And this happens even more, including the first singer tonight: The kid talks about how fabulous one of the judges is, he'd give anything to work with John Legend. Then he freaking picks Adam. WTH with this show.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I hate when that happens. And this happens even more, including the first singer tonight: The kid talks about how fabulous one of the judges is, he'd give anything to work with John Legend. Then he freaking picks Adam. WTH with this show.

Isn't he the one Adam blocked John on?

• Love 3

From last night, I liked Maelyn, Rizzi and Lili the best.  Gyth and Mathew were decent, though nothing we haven't seen before (many times). The rest had issues. I will admit I kind of liked the vibrato in Karen's voice, but her range seems extremely limited.

• Love 2

My favorite thing from tonight was John (Who I'm really starting to like) blocking Adam and then Blake saying that he "kept the guy from making a terrible decision" 😃 That was awesome because it's so true. I don't know how Adam shows his face and actually expects people to want to be on Team No Loyalty.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

My favorite thing from tonight was John (Who I'm really starting to like) blocking Adam and then Blake saying that he "kept the guy from making a terrible decision" 😃 That was awesome because it's so true. I don't know how Adam shows his face and actually expects people to want to be on Team No Loyalty.

Sounds like it's a good thing I never watch past the auditions...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

What I like the best is that Adam now has a coach he feels some actual competition with - John Legend.  Its going to be fun to watch contestants choose John over Adam.  I also think that John (from the very little I know about him) is a genuinely nice person and I think that does bug Adam a bit.....which also makes me happy.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really like the friendship between Blake and Kelly.  Their competitiveness with each other seems based on that friendship.

I'm liking John so far.

Isn't Kelly's husband, Blake's manager? 

I had to laugh at Blake and Adam texting each other about Kelly's non-stop mouth. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, Wandering Snark said:

How can we miss you if you won't go away?

Love this ^^^^^ ! I'm going to use it on all future relationships! 😁 Thank you WanderingSnark❤ 

And too much of a good (?) thing will be its demise... 

• Love 2

Ah...my favorite part of the Voice. The auditions, and the knockouts. It always gets 'controversial' after that and this year I may just bounce before the lives. We'll see (I know, I know, probably not)...John Legend and Kelly Clarkson are making this show fun again.

• Love 8

I really liked Domenic Haynes.  He was almost worthy of all the accolades lavished on him by Adam and John.   I also like the voice of the lead singer among the trio (Katy?), but unfortunately her siblings wern't up to the same standard and some of the harmonizing was surprisingly loose.  None of the rest impressed me very much.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, viajero said:

I really liked Domenic Haynes.  He was almost worthy of all the accolades lavished on him by Adam and John.   I also like the voice of the lead singer among the trio (Katy?), but unfortunately her siblings wern't up to the same standard and some of the harmonizing was surprisingly loose.  None of the rest impressed me very much.

I liked Hannah from Team Blake. I'm not a huge country music fan so someone really has to be special to impress me. I'm impressed by the lack of tragic back stories so far. Maelyn  is still my favorite over all.

33 minutes ago, Tarik Udongo said:

Before.  While the fall seasons are all tape following the prior spring seasons, the spring seasons tape their Blinds in October.  So the Blinds happened before Adam did what he did to DeAndre Nico.  About a month-and-a-half before, since that fateful moment aired in December.

However, the Battles for this season taped in late January, so by then, everyone on this season who continued to watch knew what happened.  So whoever ends up on Adam's team I'm sure will be shaking in their boots.

I doubt they need to be worried.  I'd be willing to bet that Adam is going to go out of his way to be as fair as possible this season.

After rewatching all the performances on YouTube, I think my favorite so far is Rizzi Myers, followed very closely by Domenic Haynes and Maelyn Jarmon.  Add in Lili Joy and that makes 4 contestants I'm really looking forward to seeing in the next rounds.  Pretty good for Week 1.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

I've just watched a little of the show so far and caught some performances online. I also, really like Maelyn so far.  She's my kind of vocalist.  Reminds me of Linda Rondstadt some years ago.  Awesome voice quality.  But, on this show, that doesn't always work in your favor.  Sometimes, it works against you with the votes.  I recall Brooke Simpson season 13. She came in third.   I'll never figure out why she didn't win. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Tarik Udongo said:

Not so dumb.  A trio actually won the Dutch version of the show.  Another one went really far on Australia's version.

I’d love to see other versions of the show. Do they stream somewhere I might access? 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Tarik Udongo said:

Not so dumb.  A trio actually won the Dutch version of the show.  Another one went really far on Australia's version.

A couple of years ago the Swon brothers were in the finale here - the fact that a few such contestants have been successful doesn’t make it any less stupid to me. Look, I will fully admit that I’m being pedantic about this, but I feel it’s ridiculous for the show to suggest that three people can constitute one voice.

• Love 5

There are plenty of things about The Voice that annoy me, such as how the coaches brag on how the winner will be such a superstar, (lol), but, seeing duets and or trios compete isn't on that list.  I actually liked that trio that got through.  It'll take more songs to see just how they are going to pan out.  Apparently, they don't have anything in the rules against it.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Tarik Udongo said:

They dont.  They constitute one act, not one voice.😉

Personally, the show is called “the voice” - as in a singular thing. It’s fine if they have these people sing against each other in the Battles, or do group songs on elimination nights- those are actually some of my favorite parts of the show.  But when it comes to the overall competition, I’m only interested in seeing solo artists.

I admit that this is my hang up, and that it’s overly nit picky - but please just allow me to be annoyed by it...

• Love 4
On 3/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, Chyromaniac said:

I admit that this is my hang up, and that it’s overly nit picky - but please just allow me to be annoyed by it...

Permission granted. It seems out of place to me as well.

10 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

The judges look like they’re having a great time. John is a great contributor this season. I love to watch him when he starts jamming to the contestants’ performances.

John has brought a nice breath of fresh air that was desperately needed. I'm actually enjoying him being a coach. By now we know every coaches' angle how they play what they will say so it;s nice having someone that mixes things up and bring in something different. The key is that many of the contestants see him as a 'cut above' and that makes him a threat to grab anyone he wants pretty much. Go John!

This change in the dynamic is exactly why Blake and Adam should take some time off.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Permission granted. It seems out of place to me as well.

John has brought a nice breath of fresh air that was desperately needed. I'm actually enjoying him being a coach. By now we know every coaches' angle how they play what they will say so it;s nice having someone that mixes things up and bring in something different. The key is that many of the contestants see him as a 'cut above' and that makes him a threat to grab anyone he wants pretty much. Go John!

This change in the dynamic is exactly why Blake and Adam should take some time off.

I completely agree with you as to how the contestants see John Legend.  I think the same thing happened when Alicia Keys was a judge but I think JL is much warmer and feels more emotionally accessible than AK.

• Love 9

I swore off this show after last season, but I couldn't control myself when I learned that John Legend was going to be on. He is a saint!

Well, not a saint--but he was Jesus.  (BTW, the JCS Live show was awesome, if you didn't see it but get the chance.)

My strategy is not to watch the show, but to just catch the top-viewed performers on youtube. The two stand-outs for me are Maelyn and Domenic. Did not watch the trio--that's just wrong.

Also, Adam said to Domenic something like "I think you're my favorite voice ever in 16 seasons." Besides the fact that I think he says this to most of the auditioners that he really wants on his team, I think it's a douche-y slap in the face to Jordan Smith et al.  

• Love 3

I was underwhelmed by the talent tonight. I thought the singers last week were much better. I also noticed more tragic backstories tonight I thought the band overpowered many of the contestants.

• Love 3

>>I was underwhelmed by the talent tonight.

I personally know Patrick (the bearded dad) and he is an AMAZING singer.  I do not think his audition did him justice at all, so hopefully he can showcase his talent better in coming weeks.  I am so happy for him.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought the band overpowered many of the contestants.

I agree!  Sometime the music was so loud I couldn't hear the singers.  I don't like that AT ALL.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, abc123 said:

>>I was underwhelmed by the talent tonight.

I personally know Patrick (the bearded dad) and he is an AMAZING singer.  I do not think his audition did him justice at all, so hopefully he can showcase his talent better in coming weeks.  I am so happy for him.

I liked his voice and was glad he was selected.  I'll look forward to seeing more of him. I am wary of him being on Adam's team though.

So far, I like:

Adam's team: Patrick

Blake's team: Dexter, Gyth, and Kim

Kelly team: The Bundys

John: Maelyn

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Picture-in-Picture is my best friend during these shows. I can watch another show while having this one down in the corner during the backstories and switch back when the singing starts, and switch away when the 'pick me, pick MEEEE!' Nonsense starts.

I'm beginning to think you have the right idea to watch the youtube videos only, @adhoc, cause without all that, this show could be done in an hour. With commercials.

• Love 1

My husband watches and I hate-watch with him while I'm doing other things.  I really dislike all the contestant sob stories. And looking at the clunky red chairs coaches sit in make me stabby.  

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought the singers were much better tonight. I was shocked that Blake was the only judge to turn for Kendra. Kelly was annoying me when she was asking for male singers. She's won with female contestants why would men choose her?

• Love 3