Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii Life - General Discussion

NYGirl
  • Start Topic

I can't stop thinking about all the Hawaii Life house hunters we have seen looking in that Leilani Estates neighborhood where the volcano is.   I almost thought I recognized a house I saw on fire or a yard filled with cracks and lava.

• Love 5

I just watched an episode of Hawaiian Life where a couple from Oregon (Sam and Katherine) bought a house in Leilani Estates in 2014.  I imagine they lost the house to the volcano this year.  I wonder if they went back to Oregon.

• Love 1

Well, I guess I'M nitpicking but I always get a little annoyed when the host of Hawaii Life cheerfully says, "anyone can live here! You just have to want it!" True, I guess but I'm going to have to "want" about $700,00 before that happens! 

• Love 9

Kenzie, from what I have seen on this show, I think you also have to "want" to live in less square footage, and maybe in a house that is not quite as up to date or nice as one you would be able to get on most of the mainland for the same amount of $$.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Kenzie, from what I have seen on this show, I think you also have to "want" to live in less square footage, and maybe in a house that is not quite as up to date or nice as one you would be able to get on most of the mainland for the same amount of $$.

Up to date or nice? Some of the houses on the show look like dumps.

• Love 4

I still remember one of the original Hawaii episodes, and it might even have been a regular House Hunters episode, before Hawaii Life existed.   He was a school teacher, maybe she was too, and they had been renting a converted garage for years, and the rental price stunned me.    Then they were looking for a house, I think for $300k or $400k, and they only specified one bedroom, and were worried about getting anything decent for that price.    They ended up in a concrete block, that was tiny, and on a lot that was tiny, and needed a lot of work inside and out.     The house they ended up with looked almost the same size as my oversized two car garage, and it looked like a total gut job.    The prices in Hawaii are insane, and I do get tired of the 'anyone can live here' routine.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Tonight, another episode with a huge budget, three places that really didn't fit the criteria, and the couple will just keep looking until they find the right place.     I don't understand how anyone can afford to spend over $1 million for a place, and still get something that isn't all that nice.   

And the couple with the little boy, wanting a condo, and getting a 1 bedroom?    I don't believe they ever lived there, and only bought it for a vacation rental, and I bet they make a fortune on it with weekly rentals.    I don't believe for a second that they were moving into that one bedroom with a kid, and wanting more kids.   

If the fire personnel are unionized, and get a lot of overtime, I'm betting he makes plenty.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight, another episode with a huge budget, three places that really didn't fit the criteria, and the couple will just keep looking until they find the right place.     I don't understand how anyone can afford to spend over $1 million for a place, and still get something that isn't all that nice.   

And the couple with the little boy, wanting a condo, and getting a 1 bedroom?    I don't believe they ever lived there, and only bought it for a vacation rental.    

Little Nico? If I never hear that name again it will never be too soon. I didn’t know full time fireman made so much money. Not that they don’t deserve it but I didn’t know they could afford $700,000 condos in Hawaii. Good for him. I did find the one place that they looked at but didn’t buy. The one with the twirly steps. It’s still for sale or was bought and put up for sale again:

https://www.mauirealestate.net/mls-380884.html

• Love 3

Real estate here is ridiculous.  If I hadn't bought my place over 20 years ago, I would never be able to afford it now.  I am tempted to sell up after I reno the upstairs and move back to the Mainland.  Its probably the only way I could afford to retire.  Too bad I don't like Mainland living.  lol

• Love 2

It seems to me that the Hawaiian version ends up with more people "still looking" than the other versions.  If they don't have enough people buying property for the series, maybe they need to re-evaluate the series.  I love looking at the properties in Hawaii (well, and looking at Hawaii in general...), but I feel like it's a bit of a bait and switch scenario when so many people don't actually buy a property during the episode.

• Love 2

Saw an Hawai'i Life episode tonight where the couple looked at a new build. In the kitchen, the husband commented that all the appliances were new. Have builders started putting used appliances in newly built homes? Most likely phrases the producers have prompted them to say as they tour homes, but still....

• Love 3

So the second Hawaii episode last night was another looking, but not buying episode.     I'm not sure if the first episode resulted in a buy or not, but I'm getting tired of people who are obviously not buyers, but just publicizing the real estate broker.       

• Love 3

Saw/listened to a Hawaii Life episode last night, and it had me really going...…..how/what???

New graduate of the USAF academy moving to Oahu, looking to buy a condo, budget was up to 550k.  How?  Didn't say if it was money inherited or if parents were helping, but a new graduate having that much money?  

She wanted a 2 bedroom, room to entertain, large kitchen (she liked to bake was the hook here), and had to be a close commute (which I guess she was working in Honolulu).  One property was within her budget, roomy, etc., but a 45 minute drive with little traffic.  One was a studio condo, and one was in Honolulu, but over budget.  

She wanted the expensive one, but had to see if she could swing it financially.  Nope.  Settled for renting a small cottage and was still looking.  I really wonder if she was seriously looking to buy.  I still don't understand the budget, but I know that's realistic for the market there.

I suspect that the buyers who are still looking, are not ever going to buy, but just appearing for the fun of it, and to publicize the real estate company.      

I suspect some of the Hawaii Life buyers are really investors, especially when they buy something that's totally unsuitable for their family size, or they keep talking about amenities.    I bet some of the pre-retirement buyers from other places make a nice return by renting out for a few years before they retire.     I really enjoy seeing the range of houses, and condos there though.     Even if they don't buy, I like looking at the houses.     

• Love 2

On my lunch hour today, I was flipping around and discovered this show. The couple featured were a man who said his job was a server and the wife was a part time bartender. Nothing wrong with those jobs, but their budget was $300,000.00. I was floored. How can a waiter and a part time bartender afford that? They must get paid way more than I ever imagined.. 

Edited by QuinnInND
1 minute ago, QuinnInND said:

On my lunch hour today, I was flipping around and discovered this show. The couple featured were a man who said his job was a server and the wife was a part time bartender. Nothing wrong with those jobs, but they'd budget was $300,000.00. I was floored. How can a waiter and a part time bartender afford that? They must get paid way more than I ever imagined.. 

Or (rich) family member. 

• Love 2

When they stopped featuring the Hawaii Life agency (they have another one that they featured for a while) I don't think half of the buyers actually bought.    So it was just to show the real estate.    I'm betting a lot of the 'buyers' on the later seasons didn't even buy the place.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

When they stopped featuring the Hawaii Life agency (they have another one that they featured for a while) I don't think half of the buyers actually bought.    So it was just to show the real estate.    I'm betting a lot of the 'buyers' on the later seasons didn't even buy the place.   

When we went to Hawaii a few years ago I got a real kick out of seeing the Hawaii Life signs outside of houses.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that the intro to both shows was done by Matt Beall, CEO. In older shows we would sometimes see Justin Britt, younger guy with longer dark hair, do the intro. He was one of the original co-founders of the brokerage along with Matt Beall and Winston Wellborn. I've never seen Winston give the intro. I read that Beall and Winston sued Justin, and see on the Hawaii Life brokerage web page that Justin is no longer listed as being with the company.

This is from an article published in March of 2017.

Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers is suing one of its founders, Justin Britt, who is also the sole medical marijuana dispensary licensee on Kauai, over allegations he has put the company at risk by misappropriating funds and damaging the company’s reputation.

So long Justin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1