Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Family Cooking Showdown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season 2 is now on Netflix. New presenters Tommy Banks and Angellica Bell. 

I enjoyed the first season though I thought it went on a little too long. Curious to see what tweeks other than the hosts/judges there are on Season 2.

No idea of this already aired in Britain or not so their might be spoilers out there. 

3 minutes ago, GaT said:

Anybody else completely distracted by the girl with the tube up her nose?

Only in the initial interview where I thought she was wearing a Hindu bridal nose chain but once she talked about her health issues I assume it’s to quickly hook her up to oxygen if she needs it.

• Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 11:34 PM, biakbiak said:

Only in the initial interview where I thought she was wearing a Hindu bridal nose chain but once she talked about her health issues I assume it’s to quickly hook her up to oxygen if she needs it.

I’m pretty sure it’s a feeding tube as she has gastric paralysis and can’t eat the food she cooks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I like the way they show people from different teams talking & relaxing together. They all seem to be really friendly with each other.

Why is that girl Zoe wearing that horrible orange wig? They showed the family at home, & she was wearing one in purple. I can understand if she needs to wear a wig, I can understand if she wants fantasy color hair, I can not understand why she chose those wigs, they are horrible. She looks like she's wearing a bad hat.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2019 at 11:05 AM, OoogleEyes said:

Yeah, 14 episodes are about 4 too many.

Definitely. They could also use tighter editing, it can still be a leisurely pace but they repeat so many things in the same episode it gets boring.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2019 at 2:34 AM, biakbiak said:

They did mention she have a gastric issues and hasnt been able to eat solid food since she was a teenager

• Love 2

One episode in and I definitely like the changes from season two and having four heats of four instead of eight head to heads.

The 10 pound challenge has improved.  Last season everyone just kind of cooked what they wanted and we kind of took their word that it was under 10 and they were able to practice the dishes.  I liked the strategy of grabbing items and having to decide what to return if they went over.  And it's a non practice round make the families think it through.

The second challenge was pretty much the same as last season, taking a classic popular family style meal and add their own twist (they can practice this one ahead of time).  

I miss Nadiya and scrummy Giorgio but I am liking Tommy and Angellica.  It makes sense to have them do double duty as host/judge.

The White's Moroccan lamb lasagne sounded delicious as did the Ambibonin-Younges though it was a monumentally stupid move to put salads in bar glasses in the DOOR of the refrigerator.  Glad they recovered though. 

The Penmans tagliatelle looked dreadfully overcooked, definitely took on too much with salads and bread, luckily their first challenge probably saved them.  I'm with Angellica that the Stones shouldn't have plated their vegan lasagne it looked like a big glob but the flavors sounded good.

Next ep looks like the challenges are different from this one.  One member of a family Cooks in one challenge.  Will watch tomorrow.

The family with the father and his son and daughter - they are so rude to their dad! Telling him to shut up, calling him a moron... is this a culture divide thing, or are they just awful? My family teases each other, but we aren’t hateful about it like these two (the son more than the daughter). 

On in a different note - the zero waste challenge. They’ve been making four servings/plates throughout the entire competition, and then the judges share off of one plate. So much for cutting down on waste. To be fair, this is something I take issue with in cooking shows in general, and sometimes feel a little guilty contributing to ratings for. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mcgkgm said:

So much for cutting down on waste. To be fair, this is something I take issue with in cooking shows in general, and sometimes feel a little guilty contributing to ratings for. 

I don’t know about this show specifically but in the US most of the leftover food that has been cooked is eaten by the crew and excess ingredients that can be are donated to local food banks or shelters.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, mcgkgm said:

The family with the father and his son and daughter - they are so rude to their dad! Telling him to shut up, calling him a moron... is this a culture divide thing, or are they just awful? My family teases each other, but we aren’t hateful about it like these two (the son more than the daughter). 

By the time I finished all the episodes they appeared in I really, really didn't like them - the kids.  And felt bad for the Dad cause I started rooting against them I wanted them off my screen so much.  It felt very passive-aggressive to me especially when they would drag their feet acting like they had all the time in the world while the Dad was asking them to hurry.  I could swear I saw them share a little smile with each other once while doing it.  The Dad would try to have some team spirit (such as fist bumps) and instead of teasing him for being corny they belittled him.  The whole dynamic just got uncomfortable for me watch.  I think the daughter is addicted to sucking lemons, she came across as that sour a personality.

I finished all the episodes so I'll hide my comments for the finale in a spoiler so as not to ruin it for anyone (I've never done a spoiler before so I hope this works):

Spoiler

Not surprised the Mysteris (sp?) won, they were very consistent overall; felt bad for Jasmyn when her parents didn't trust her judgement; it was nice to see they realized they sold her short and felt bad about it.

• Love 2

I was caught up on everything Bake Off on Netflix so I decided to watch this and have mixed feelings. I wanted to love season one, but lord was it slow, difficult to understand and poorly edited. For such long episodes and a slow pace I found it difficult to keep track of the challenges and what exactly was going on. I also didn’t like how they barely showed the food when judging. The best part of the season was obviously Nadiya. 

Now season 2 I didn’t plan to watch since season 1 was so bad, but I tried the first episode and it was drastically better. The format is clean and easy to follow, the families are more diverse not only ethnically, but in terms of food and the Hosts/Judges are good. It also moves so much faster but without losing the details I felt I missed in season one. The only thing that wouldve made this better is had Nadiya remained as a third judge/host. 

I just found this show and am watching season 1.  I didn't know Nadiya was a host.  She's lovely!

Pet peeve:  I'm only on season 1 episode 3 and it seems like almost every family has at least one person who is nasty to at least one of the other family members.

Edited by ali59
  • Love 1