Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Road to the Finals/ S01.E10: The Final Mask is Lifted

• Start Topic

On 2/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, blackwing said:

Totally agree.  As soon as Gladys came out with "I Can't Make You Love Me", I knew she was done.  The week before was "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" and before that was "What's Love Got to Do With It".  She completely killed those performances, but they weren't the showy, exciting performances like the others got.  I really wish she had gotten a more upbeat or current song to sing.  I could have seen her knocking a Beyonce song like "Irreplaceable" or a Celine song like "My Heart Will Go On" out of the park.  What about "No Tears Left to Cry"?  She did awesome on "Locked Out of Heaven".  She got a standing ovation from the audience but then finished third?

Yea she needed to stick with the pop songs. When she performed those it was amazing. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, vmcd88 said:

Totally blown away by T-Pain.  If he can sing like that...why is he a rapper?

THAT'S WHAT I KEPT SAYING!!!  Can someone give me a good t-pain song to look up?  Maybe one where the auto-tune is prevalent and minimal rapping. 

19 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I agree the clues were way to easy and there were too many. They need to tone that down next season, or the novelty is going to get old and there won't be a third season. 

I think after the first round they were like "oh whoops, these were two easy, now we're going to thrown in clues to throw them off" which is essentially what they did from them on.  So I expect next season won't be quite so easy to figure out on the first go-around.

And I much prefer Donny Osmond with the peacock head ON.  That guy is just a little too over the top for me apparently. But I loved him at the peacock!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I agree the clues were way to easy and there were too many. They need to tone that down next season, or the novelty is going to get old and there won't be a third season. 

Most of the judges need to go. They can keep Robin and Kenan. Everyone else can go. I don't know anyone who actually likes Jenny McCarthy. Who the hell thought people wanted her on the show???

I don't mind Nick Cannon. If he wants to wear turbans, who cares. At least he shuts up.

I agree on most of your statements - they need to give LESS clues and TRICKIER clues next season. As for the judges - I completely agree - Jenny McCarthy is about the fakest fake of the fake. That other woman - I have no idea who she is and if she smiled, her face would probably crack. Ken - just flaky. I like Robin Thicke and Kenan too. (Didn't like that other guy sitting in near the beginning - obnoxious AF.  And last but not least - I actually like Nick Cannon - turbans or not. I never really saw him in anything before this but knew the name from him being married to Mariah Carey. As fun and casual as he seems, I just cannot in a million years imagine those two as a couple??? 

Oh, and one last thing - I remember a few times that the judges got it right near the beginning (and even more specifically - I am almost sure that Robin said T-Pain for the Monster) and I think maybe someone on the crew told them to back off - to keep people guessing more. But I remember hearing that a few times throughout the shows.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, blackwing said:

I absolutely loved Kenan's comments to Gladys Knight that started out with "as the resident black judge..."  You could tell that he was so honoured to have been given the opportunity to be on the same show with her.  He seemed like he was about to cry.  It was so real and so genuine.  I really hope he gets offered a permanent judge spot next season.

This was the moment when I realized why my coworkers were confused on who Bee could be. I'm the resident black person at work. I know her voice from birth. I would not be shocked to learn my mother played her music during her entire pregnancy with me, and her mom with her! Gladys runs through my veins

• Love 4
6 hours ago, llewis823 said:

Just curious but too lazy to do the research. Does Fox have anything to do with the record company that is releasing T-Pain's new album? If so, the whole show could have been an elaborate marketing scheme.

Will I watch next season - if there is one?

No, not that I could find. Is new album was released by a division of Sony Music. 

4 hours ago, Bali said:

7 as Gladys, 3 with the Pips.

The 7 listed individually for Gladys includes the 3 she won with the Pips. 

16 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Go with, "I'm in love with a stripper" I think that one has PLENTY of auto tune. 

good grief, that sounds like trash compared to what we heard on this show.  And not because of the auto tune.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, gunderda said:

good grief, that sounds like trash compared to what we heard on this show.  And not because of the auto tune.

Exactly why so many were shocked to learn he was the Monster! 

• Love 1

Even my 11yo kid, who knows none of these singers, thought the bee was robbed. Our vote was bee, peacock, rabbit, monster.

I think the sympathy vote must have given monster the edge. Never heard of tpain, don't think his story is THAT tragic. Did enjoy his singing though.

Next season would be great if they really found people that we didn't know could sing. Those were most fun and hardest. Living legends are too much of a ringer, as are reality tv repeaters.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Exactly why so many were shocked to learn he was the Monster! 

I think he pretended to be something he's not for most of his career, though. Apparently he has been married to the same woman for a long time, while pretending to be a player because of the type of music he did. He was probably being more of himself on the show. I think that's why those folks liked performing in the masks...so they didn't have to be fake.

• Love 3
(edited)

RE: Kenan's comments

I was dumbstruck why the judges were even pretending with Gladys/Bee. I had to remember that not everyone has heard her voice in vitro. 😂

Edited by Enigma X
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Thanks for replying. I guess my question wasn't clear. Did they explain voting and how the final winner would be picked? I don't recall that coming up, and I thought maybe that was cut out of the Hulu version, but I could have been distracted for sure and missed it.

I don't think they did.  I get zoned out sometimes.  I think they went to commercial and then what-his-name kicked off Gladys and then we saw Donny and T-pain.  I think it might piss people off if they knew it is a "pretend" contest.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andipandi said:

Even my 11yo kid, who knows none of these singers, thought the bee was robbed. Our vote was bee, peacock, rabbit, monster.

I think the sympathy vote must have given monster the edge. Never heard of tpain, don't think his story is THAT tragic. Did enjoy his singing though.

Next season would be great if they really found people that we didn't know could sing. Those were most fun and hardest. Living legends are too much of a ringer, as are reality tv repeaters.

1st paragraph - I agree!

2nd paragraph - his story isn't that tragic to the general public.  I know Mili Vanilli and have never heard of T-pain.

3rd paragraph - I disagree.  I stayed away from the show when football players and others were unmasked and got into it when we knew big names were in it.  I am counting LaToya as one of the others.

1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

Here's a great example of his autotuned hits:

Reminds me of some of the effects in Stacey Q's Two of Hearts. At least he tries to come up with coherent lyrics. Some rappers just go for the rhyme and the words don't make much sense.

• Love 2

I can't find it now to link it but I just read an article where T-Pain said no one wanted the monster outfit so he did. That it was the worst costume possible and his mike was taped to his face. 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, mtlchick said:

you have bad guesses and then you have "I think you're Michael Vick."  Girl, BYE.  And take your Botox with you and your "medical advice" with you.

It figures that an anti-vaxxer would sympathize with someone who hostd dog-fights (I never believed his "I didn't know" crap).  That should have permanently killed his career.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:29 PM, Jenilane6 said:

What was T-Pain’s redemption story.  He wasn’t doing anything terrible like Chris Brown or R. Kelly.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, boyznkatz said:

I guess T-Pain must have really  been slammed for his use of auto tune.

At least they didn't have any felons or racists on this show.

It sounds like the rappers who can't sing at all gave him crap for something fairly innocuous.  If you don't like auto-tune, fine, but those jealous bitkas can bite me.

No felons only because praching anti-vaxxing isn't endorsing reckless endangerment (a felony) as it should be.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Enigma X said:

RE: Kenan's comments

I was dumbstruck why the judges were even pretending with Gladys/Bee. I had to remember that not everyone has heard her voice in vitro. 😂

I can't imagine people not recognizing Gladys' voice is a racial thing.  I'm so white I practically glow in the dark and I knew it was her immediately.  I don't know...maybe I was just raised right. :-)

Now T-Pain on the other hand...yeah, I had no idea who he was. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Nessie said:

I can't imagine people not recognizing Gladys' voice is a racial thing.  I'm so white I practically glow in the dark and I knew it was her immediately.  I don't know...maybe I was just raised right. 🙂

Nessie, I actually agree with you to a point. I think millennial people who are not AA may not know her voice whereas millennial AAs and most of the rest of the overall American population would. Gladys has not really released anything lately. I get it. I would expect Robin and Nicole (the other music artist judge) to know her voice though.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

Nessie, I actually agree with you to a point. I think millennial people who are not AA may not know her voice whereas millennial AAs and most of the rest of the overall American population would. Gladys has not really released anything lately. I get it. I would expect Robin and Nicole (the other music artist judge) to know her voice though.

I don’t think it’s a millennial/age thing. It’s a preference of music thing. I am almost 50, know who she is, obviously, but I don’t listen to her style of music. So, for that reason, I did not know for sure it was her based on voice alone. 

(edited)
50 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I don’t think it’s a millennial/age thing. It’s a preference of music thing. I am almost 50, know who she is, obviously, but I don’t listen to her style of music. So, for that reason, I did not know for sure it was her based on voice alone. 

Maybe you are right. I don’t listen to whatever style Donnie is but knew it was him from day one. So maybe I was projecting.

Edited by Enigma X
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

In my experience millennials grew up with a lot of pop culture exposure.  Once cable was common but before on demand and DVRs it was almost impossible to not be exposed to a wide variety of information. 

I never deliberately listened to Gladys’ music put I was very aware of her. I saw her on award shows, talk shows, Vh1 behind the music, E! True Hollywood Story, Vh1 Divas and those music anthology infomercials. 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, jumper sage said:

3rd paragraph - I disagree.  I stayed away from the show when football players and others were unmasked and got into it when we knew big names were in it.  I am counting LaToya as one of the others.

I feel the same way.  At first I thought it was going to be all D-list "celebrities" and that this show would sink to the bottom of the ratings fast.  It didn't get off to a great start, but once I started recognizing voices and realized who they probably were (and once they started to be unmasked), it was a whole new ballgame.  I was pretty impressed that there were actual famous singers, and I think that's vital going forward.  I'm sure many were reluctant to sign on for the first season, but now that it's a success, hopefully more will be willing (and available) to do it.

7 hours ago, Nessie said:

I can't imagine people not recognizing Gladys' voice is a racial thing.  I'm so white I practically glow in the dark and I knew it was her immediately.  I don't know...maybe I was just raised right. 🙂

I'm super-white also, and grew up in a pretty sheltered environment.  And I knew that was Gladys' voice early on.

I'm so glad that  others here also didn't know who T-Pain was!  I didn't even know how to react when he was revealed.  I was like, "Who???"  I wasn't that invested in who would win, but at least I thought it would be someone more universally known.   Big letdown.

• Love 3

I wasn't thrilled with the results, but that said, IIRC the show/judges never said exactly what criteria they were using to judge the contestants, so for all I know, the judges' votes could have been based on giving the highest votes to the contestant whose identity they couldn't guess, with the audience voting on a combination of which contestant they thought was best overall. Who knows? I'd say the Monster won because people were curious about who it was. I still find it weird that Bee placed lower than Peacock. From what I could see, Peacock knew how to work a stage but had a fairly generic good voice. That is, his singing was perfectly adequate but there was never a performance where he seemed completely invested in the song. Bee was IMO the superior singer and really connected with the songs she performed. Monster also seemed to connect with the songs, and I think part of his appeal was he seemed to be the one who consistently wanted to prove himself. 

I'll probably tune in next year at least for a few episodes to see if the judges have improved and if the contestants are interesting. Robin was for the most part fine as a judge, but the others needed to STFU and listen to/watch the performances rather than singing along/dancing/making unnecessary comments to the point of distraction.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I would like to know who actually votes. Is it just the audience or do the judges vote also? If it's the audience only I could see how T Pain won because IMHO most of them looked like they were under 30/35.  They wouldn't know who Donny or Gladys is.

Edited by MrsEVH
4 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Yes, please, and Kenan can replace Ken.

Yup. Robin can stay, invite Joel McHale to be a permanent judge, Nick was annoying so he can go. Nicole was a non-entity so she can leave too. Jenny needs to be stuffed down a trash compactor.  Debbie Gibson was a surprisingly good judge on American Juniors, I think she'd be good for this show.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Yup. Robin can stay, invite Joel McHale to be a permanent judge, Nick was annoying so he can go. Nicole was a non-entity so she can leave too. Jenny needs to be stuffed down a trash compactor.  Debbie Gibson was a surprisingly good judge on American Juniors, I think she'd be good for this show.

I like the idea of Debbie Gibson. She would be pretty low key. I'm surprised that Robin Thicke is likable on this show. I thought he was annoying before.

• Love 5
On 3/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, marykat71702 said:

Yes, please, and Kenan can replace Ken.

Ken is the reason this show was adapted for American audiences. His parents loved the Korean show so much they asked why there isn't one in America. He's not going anywhere. Also, I like him. 

• Love 6
On 3/5/2019 at 8:19 AM, BoogieBurns said:

Ken is the reason this show was adapted for American audiences. His parents loved the Korean show so much they asked why there isn't one in America. He's not going anywhere. Also, I like him. 

I get that, but he is so over the top annoying. He would be okay if he toned it down. Still, he is better than than McCarthy any day.

• Love 4