Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Road to the Finals/ S01.E10: The Final Mask is Lifted

• Start Topic

Double episode, beginning at 8pm

Guest panelist Kenan Thompson helps judge the remaining three competitors, who are determined to win the coveted golden mask as their identities are revealed

Airdate: February 27, 2019

The live thread has been edited so that it opens at 8pm eastern and will remain open for 2 hours.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Female83 said:

I was wondering what prize the winner will get. 

They showed it before, I think Ken or Joel McHale was holding it.  It is a trophy in shape of the logo of the show... that purplish masquerade mask that kind of looks like an M.

15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, I predict oodles of filler.

They have 3 singers. Maybe they will each sing twice, then eliminate one in the first hour.

But then what? Do the remaining two each sing three times in the second hour, before finally one of them wins?

I hope that they will bring back the already eliminated singers and give some behind the scenes details. 

Edited by Guest
19 hours ago, Dani said:
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, I predict oodles of filler.

They have 3 singers. Maybe they will each sing twice, then eliminate one in the first hour.

But then what? Do the remaining two each sing three times in the second hour, before finally one of them wins?

Read more  

I hope that they will bring back the already eliminated singers and give some behind the scenes details. 

I also hope they will go back over some or all of the clues for each eliminated contestant.

I'm laughing at the description "coveted golden mask."  Um...okaaaaaaay.  I don't even remember them featuring it the time mentioned above. (I believe it was -- I just don't remember it.)  They haven't really hyped it as the prize for winning. 

• Love 3

This was totally fixed. No way is Donny or T-Pain a better singer than Gladys. I'll grant that Donny Osmond is a better all-around performer than Gladys.

I actually don't know much about T-Pain, but I did see that youtube clip of him actually singing. After that, it was pretty obvious.

I think Gladys attempted to hide her voice a bit so she definitely wasn't able to sing her "best." T-Pain didn't have a more recognizable singing voice, so I don't think he had to make too much of an effort to hide it.

With a 2 hour finale, I was expecting some of the losers to sing. I don't think everyone was really singing during that "group song."

If you kick-out Jenny next season, I'll keep watching.

• Love 13

I am really ticked off about Gladys coming in third. Ruined the show for me.

Btw, the first hour sucked! Sucked big time! If I do watch next season, I am giving that recap show a huge miss.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

I don't think ANYONE was singing during the group sing.

Since the show isn't live, how did they keep the unmasking secret? Although but the shocked! and overexcited! faces, I'm not sure they weren't all high.

• Love 2
Just now, Archery said:

Since the show isn't live, how did they keep the unmasking secret? Although but the shocked! and overexcited! faces, I'm not sure they weren't all high.

They said most of the people in the audience of the final show were friends and family and everyone had to sign non-disclosure agreements.

• Love 2

I am so glad Monster won. I think Gladys should’ve come in 2nd, but I think monster should’ve been 1st so, to me, his win was earned.  He was so versatile, very entertaining in his performances and really had something to prove. I actually teared up with his reveal and how grateful he was. I still don’t know any of his songs, but I hope his new record that people have mentioned him releasing is of him singing, not rapping. 

• Love 12

I have a feeling T Pain won not because he's a better singer than the other 2, but simply because the audience was that stumped into who it could be.  Gladys Knight was obvious and eventually the clues for Donny became clearer.  Oddly enough, I immediately knew because of the Auto Tune even though I know next to nothing on him.

It's a decent show.  But I also think it needs a LOT of improvements to be sustainable for the second season.  The fact they had extra judges midway through made me wonder if they were being road tested for the next one.  This finale was even more bloated than an Idol and DWTS finale combined. 

Finally,  you have bad guesses and then you have "I think you're Michael Vick."  Girl, BYE.  And take your Botox with you and your "medical advice" with you. 

Edited by mtlchick
grammar.
  • LOL 9
  • Love 11

I just figured Monster would win because he had the sad redemption story. 

I don't know who T Pain is, so I would have never guessed - except that everyone on this board said it was him. So I guess I did have the one idea that it was him. 

There were no surprises. All of the performers were guessed early on. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

And I called a fix and I wont be back for Season 2.  Gladys Knight comes in 3rd??? REALLY???

I know, right?

6 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Finally,  you have bad guesses and then you have "I think you're Michael Vick."  Girl, BYE. 

That was insane.

18 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Btw, the first hour sucked! Sucked big time!

Glad I watched Survivor and then switched over.

22 minutes ago, Unraveled said:

This was totally fixed. No way is Donny or T-Pain a better singer than Gladys. I'll grant that Donny Osmond is a better all-around performer than Gladys.

I thought it should have been 1. Peacock, 2. Bee, 3. Monster.

I did guess Donny Osmond, Gladys, and Latoya Jackson.  Who the hell is T-Pain?

1 minute ago, Commando Cody said:

I just figured Monster would win because he had the sad redemption story. 

I think so too.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Unraveled said:

With a 2 hour finale, I was expecting some of the losers to sing. I don't think everyone was really singing during that "group song."

I'm not even convinced those were the actual celebrities, to begin with. They didn't unmask, so those could have been the backup dancers in the costumes.

• Love 11

I know who T-Pain is, he was pretty popular around 10-12 years ago.  I was surprised how by how young he is.  His first album, the memorably titled Rappa Ternt Sanga, was released when he was only 20 back in 2005.

T-Pain was the contestant with a redemption/sob story with the most talent, so it's no surprise he won.  I mean he was popular but people clowned on him for his overuse of autotune, revealing his true voice makes a good storyline.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I thought it should have been 1. Peacock, 2. Bee, 3. Monster.

Me too. 

I only watched for Donny. I do feel like it’s been pretty clear for several weeks Monster would win but I was holding out hope anyway. I thought Monster was good but not better than Donny or Gladys.

Doubt I’ll watch next season, it was rough listening to some of the ridiculous guesses from the “judges”. 

• Love 8

I don't care if it was fixed or not. It's just a show for entertainment! I enjoyed it regardless. The winner didn't get anything for a prize really except for the thrill of winning. We just got a show to watch. That being said, I didn't like how Gladys got third place. I was fine with Monster/T-pain winning. I am very familiar with him so I was happy. I also think a part of him winning had to do with the fact that they didn't know it was him. It wasn't clear like some of the others. So I'm good, I'm fine. Ha no offense to anyone who is annoyed about it. I get it.

• Love 17

I didn’t care if Bee or Peacock won, but I would have put Monster fourth behind Rabbit, so I was pretty disappointed. Plus I have no idea who T-Pain is.

Overall, I thought this show was a lot of fun, but they have to do something to fix the roles of the ridiculous “judges” if there is a another season, plus dial back the clues a bit.

• Love 16
36 minutes ago, 2Old2BAFangirl said:

Me too. 

I only watched for Donny. I do feel like it’s been pretty clear for several weeks Monster would win but I was holding out hope anyway. I thought Monster was good but not better than Donny or Gladys.

Doubt I’ll watch next season, it was rough listening to some of the ridiculous guesses from the “judges”. 

Agree with you 100%

• Love 8

I thought Monster or Bee should have been first, then the other, and lastly Peacock. I never was impressed with his story nor his singing. 

Hopefully T Pain gets some boost from this show. I think that was his motivation. Donny had already done DWTS, so we know he’s down for whatever. Did Gladys do it also, I think she did. So again, even though she is a living legend, it’s something different to do and get her name out there, especially for some of the younger generation. 

I enjoyed the show overall. Glad I always recorded it and was able to fast forward. Wish they would replace Jenny with Joel permanently. And maybe Ken with Kenan. 

• Love 7

The thing that irritated me the most is that the Monster winning was telegraphed from the first episode. They even released his performance for tonight early. I was really hoping it was not going to be that obvious. 

The entire first hour was a waste of time. I am still waiting for them to explain all the exercise clues for Margaret Cho or Gladys Knight’s 10 Grammy’s.  

We all knew it was Donny Osmond, but a small part of me so wanted to see Weird AL.  I wish Gladys Knight had won just for getting out there and singing the way she does.  I can't believe she is 74 years old.  I was blown away that Tommy Chong is 80.  The one video I remember distinctly was of Lonely Island with T-pain called On a Boat.  Lol  Only look that up if you know what kind of videos Lonely Island does.  They can be crass and they do cuss in their songs.  If you are easily offended, don't look it up. 

• Love 3

I will definitely be back for next season. Yes, Gladys’s voice knocked all the competition out of the water but that is not what this show is based on. Gladys was my fave, but I have no issue with whomever won winning. In this case it was T Pain. I have no idea who he is but have no problem with him winning. And his winning has not convinced me it is fixed. I do think he sang well enough, and more people had an inkling Donny was Donny and Gladys was Gladys; therefore they voted for the mystery they did not know. 

• Love 7

I was happy with the win. The episodes I caught this season clearly had the monster as one of the front runners. His voice was amazing and he was entertaining to watch. Hubby automatically knew it was T-Pain when he  heard his voice a month ago, and I can’t believe this wonderful voice was hidden under all that auto tuning. Congrats to him- you can tell that this win meant a lot because he finally got to show everyone how vocally talented he is. I got teary eyed at him singing “Stay With Me.” 

• Love 10

That first hour was painful.  They could have put all that summing up in a five minute montage at the beginning of the second hour. 

I was a Monster fan since I started watching episode 3. I rewound that song at least 5 times and thanks to this forum, got to watch T-Pain's cover version from Yahoo Music as well, so thank you guys! The fact that no one knew it was T-Pain was, in my opinion, the reason he won but I also thought he was amazing. And the fact that he was crying when he won? Bonus point gold! It's nice to see someone get a second chance like that and be grateful for the opportunity.

• Love 11

T-Pain's face when he turned around is so hilarious. Like a little kid who's really proud of himself. He knew that none of them had a clue who he was (except Nick, apparently), and he was pleased as punch. And then the little jig he does? LOL. I've rewatched that 30 seconds or so like 10 times.

• Love 7

I FFed through the first hour & most of the second, I just really wanted to see the unmasking. I knew Gladys Knight & Donny Osmond, but T-Pain was a complete surprise to me.

• Love 1

The couldn't have telegraphed who would win The Masked Sob Story any harder if they tried.  (The sob story wasn't even impressive.  He got knocked for using auto-tune?  That's why he was angsting all over the stage? Ugh.)

Did the singers get much of a song choice?  The songs Donny and Gladys had didn't really do them any favors; Donny's was old and outdated, the second didn't showcase Gladys's voice as well as other selections have.  It's like the thumb was on the scale for Monster.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Question: Admittedly never heard of T-Pain, so what is his great redemption story?  They made such a fuss over it that it has to be more than just auto-tune, right?

Unless it is just about the auto tune but want to make it seem like more than that.

9 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Question: Admittedly never heard of T-Pain, so what is his great redemption story?  They made such a fuss over it that it has to be more than just auto-tune, right?

No, not really. As mentioned before, his peers in the music industry were not impressed with his use of auto tune and mocked him and accused him of changing the music business and not in a good way.

• Love 2