Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Identity, Part I

Bort
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Anyone else think that wall that the Kaylons were using seemed like a huge version of Tetris?

Sadly no. I went to the shallow end and started hoping that those Kaylon trousers would become fashionable irl because they do awfully nice things for butt. It was just a wall of glorious butts.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

So no one in the Union ever thought before the events of this episode of asking the Kaylons "Who exactly built you in the first place?"

They certainly could not have evolved from some sort of metallic primordial ooze...

Like many others I think this may very well turn out to be some sort of simulation or fairy tale told to the children; it would be a bi of a cop-out and an excuse to write actual violent and deadly battle scenes for the show, but an acceptable one.

• Useful 1
On 2/22/2019 at 5:09 AM, ACW said:

Still, it seemed to me like the kid was herded to that location.  That shaft opened up way too conveniently.

I guess I saw it as similar to a manhole cover. They're everywhere, like the bones are. It was designed by biological entities to automatically open when touched, so it worked for a hiding place.

• Love 2

I hope the Kaylons do destroy Earth. It is grim but Earth in Star Trek and this sister universe is so paradisiac that it always makes me cringe. I don't want humanity to be wiped out, just for the planet to be severely damaged. It will diminish the huge ego human have on those shows and give humanity some challenge. But this is a comedy so it won't happen.

I have no idea why anyone thinks this is a simulation.  That is the ultimate worst of trek cop outs.  If anything I think the show will go with one of two options.

Option 1 The Worf/Spock/Seven option .  Isaac really does have feelings for Claire and last minute he will save the day and be banished from his people and spend the next few seasons deciding if he made the right choice.  

Option 2 the Kaylons deleted his growing attachment to Claire and her kids believing it to be a virus.  The crew figure out how to reinstall the “virus” which stops the invasion but also makes things sorta awkward for Claire having an entire race of killer robots in love with her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, ganesh said:

Maybe they're just coming to Earth to ask for lugnuts!

I'm not nitpicking, but I would think that there's no need to just leave the bones there. You can shoot them into the sun. If you're running out of space on your planet, why wouldn't you build underground? T

Wasn't it implied that they wanted to kill all biologicals? Just like what they did with their creators?

As with the lug nuts- they probably all worship Mom as well. 

3 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Because it is a Seth MacFarlane SF fanwank show.

I'm thinking that the scanning beam that the Kaylons scanned the Orville with when they entered orbit of the Kaylon home world will play a part in the resolution of next episode, and plays into the idea of it being a simulation.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 12:24 AM, Miles said:

Is everybody in the Union a dumbass? Of course these robots were created by somebody. What, did the union think they fell out of the sky or something? And that they rose up and killed their creators instead of the creators dying of natural causes: About 99% probable...

So how are these dumbasses so surprised? Also going back and confronting them instead of hauling ass out of there? Real smart.

I mean the inevitable twist next week will be that Isaac actually does love the crew and the kids and secretly turned on his homeworld and will save the day somehow, but really, the union would have deserved to be wiped out at this point.

I always wondered at the way it was said the Kaylons/Isaac described their own world: As 100% inhabited by artificial life forms. If they were the only life forms there, and seemingly very real, why would they still be calling themselves artificial? How'd they get there?

Now I know: THE MOUNTAINS OF BONES.

22 hours ago, clyo22 said:

I hope the Kaylons do destroy Earth. It is grim but Earth in Star Trek and this sister universe is so paradisiac that it always makes me cringe. I don't want humanity to be wiped out, just for the planet to be severely damaged. It will diminish the huge ego human have on those shows and give humanity some challenge. But this is a comedy so it won't happen.

Not that I want humanity to be wiped out either, but it's not the planet's fault when humanity goes off the rails. Leave Earth and the ecosystem to itself; decoy the humans out. 

On 2/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, clyo22 said:

In ST:Enterprise, the Xindi destroyed a swath of the Earth's surface and killed Trip's sister. I don't know that it added much to the story.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ketose said:

In ST:Enterprise, the Xindi destroyed a swath of the Earth's surface and killed Trip's sister. I don't know that it added much to the story.

It didn't, really, but that's not why people hated that particular story arc. They hated it because it messed too much with established canon, since none of the other series, which were all set  one to two centuries later (depending on which series), had ever mentioned the Xindii or such catastrophic attack in Earth's history, and that would have been a major historical point of reference.

The Orville doesn't have that problem yet, since the show is still in its first run, so any real canon has yet to be established.  The world-building is too incomplete at this stage for people to know for sure what is considered canon and what is mere retconning..

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tv-talk said:

The Earth being devastated firmly takes show out of comedy genre and I doubt McFarlane wants to do that.

Not always. There a couple of last-person-on-earth comedies, and this show has already made a joke twice about leg amputation—which is usually a bridge too far for me.

• Love 1
On February 25, 2019 at 2:22 PM, ganesh said:

It doesn't make sense he's on a timer and hit N hours and shut down because he could be on the bridge and serving in a crisis.

I don't think they'd particularly care about this one; if Kaylon only sent him on this assignment to verify that there was no reason for them not to attack the Union, I doubt they'd quibble about the possibility of interrupting him during some petty mess the inferior biologicals got themselves into.

You make a good point about the unlikelihood of real-time monitoring, and in retrospect I agree that it's more likely they sent the kill order based on something prior they received or decided and it just happened to reach Isaac at that moment.

~

I thought of another possible way out of this storyline - what if Kaylon's original occupants aren't completely extinct? They could have colonized other planets prior to the robot uprising and/or have a space fleet. It would explain why the robots want to leave; not because they've outgrown or overpopulated Kaylon, but because their builders are still around in that part of the galaxy, and very motivated to try again to take them out.

Maybe they find out about the armada and give chase, which could even the odds for the Union. (Might be a path to redemption for Isaac, too - he could be the one to contact them.)

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 2
On 2/25/2019 at 7:06 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Option 2 the Kaylons deleted his growing attachment to Claire and her kids believing it to be a virus.  The crew figure out how to reinstall the “virus” which stops the invasion but also makes things sorta awkward for Claire having an entire race of killer robots in love with her.

Interesting!  I would love a virus that makes them all love Claire.

2 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I thought of another possible way out of this storyline - what if Kaylon's original occupants aren't completely extinct? They could have colonized other planets prior to the robot uprising and/or have a space fleet. It would explain why the robots want to leave; not because they've outgrown or overpopulated Kaylon, but because their builders are still around in that part of the galaxy, and very motivated to try again to take them out.

Maybe they find out about the armada and give chase, which could even the odds for the Union. (Might be a path to redemption for Isaac, too - he could be the one to contact them.)

Interesting as well!

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not always. There a couple of last-person-on-earth comedies, and this show has already made a joke twice about leg amputation—which is usually a bridge too far for me.

Yeah I was thinking about Red Dwarf that but the difference is that was premise of the series, far different than the earth being wiped out and crew of the Orville having to deal with it in real time. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

"The Orville" is not a comedy. I believe MacFarlane has stated so on numerous occasions. 

It's not a comedy, but it's not 'dark and gritty' either. I think the likely conclusion is that earth is saved somehow, and Ed's "binary choice" to Kelly will be a factor. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

"The Orville" is not a comedy. I believe MacFarlane has stated so on numerous occasions. 

Honestly I find it to be a dramedy.    Part drama but with Gordon on board.  I would view this more a drama if Scott Grimes wasn’t in the cast or at least Gordon wasn’t such a childish moron.  I HATE Comedies especial MacFarlanes dirty little boy brand of them do I wasn’t exactly sure I would like this......but I do!!!!!

Its not perfect and it devolves too often into potty humor but when the writing and acting are on par The Orville puts out a good show.   I loved the Claire/Isaac pairing so the whole Kaylon attack thing hurts me but if the conclusion does anything even remotely interesting this might finally turn into appointment viewing.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Honestly I find it to be a dramedy.    Part drama but with Gordon on board.  I would view this more a drama if Scott Grimes wasn’t in the cast or at least Gordon wasn’t such a childish moron.  I HATE Comedies especial MacFarlanes dirty little boy brand of them do I wasn’t exactly sure I would like this......but I do!!!!!

Yeah I wonder if Mcfarlane realizes that, by far, the best aspects to his show are when they are in full sci-fi mode and not focused on trying to be funny nor mulling over dating drama. This past episode is perfect example, kind of plugging along tolerating Claire's Isaac-drama then all of a sudden it's "Oh hell, NOW it's sci-fi!" and the episode gets 100x better. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, rmontro said:

Ha!  I forgot about the Sally Field Oscar speech reference, I was going to mention that.  

The 80/90s pop culture references are pretty silly, but I just figure they go along with the comedy part of the show, so they don't bother me.

The references aren’t problematic for me because I first assumed that the show is set in ~2100-2120. (150-year-old references are still a stretch but not completely improbable since now we have them all digitized.) Although I later learned it’s actually supposed to be the year 24something, I simply stick with my first asumption. 

Edited by RedHawk
On 3/28/2019 at 4:47 AM, RedHawk said:

The references aren’t problematic for me because I first assumed that the show is set in ~2100-2120. (150-year-old references are still a stretch but not completely improbable since now we have them all digitized.) Although I later learned it’s actually supposed to be the year 24something, I simply stick with my first asumption. 

The year is 2420, to be exact.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That's a legit song? I just remember it from that Futurama episode

Yes, “In the Year 2525” by Zager and Evans, released 1968 I think. Remember hearing it when I was a kid. The ‘60s were wonderfully strange. 

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That's a legit song? I just remember it from that Futurama episode

Yes, but Futurama changed all of the lyrics in that episode.

So did the nearly forgotten syndicated series Cleopatra 2525.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ketose said:

I think we're 2 of the 12 people who watched that show. I remember the theme song and then finding out it was a real song. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, ketose said:

Yes, but Futurama changed all of the lyrics in that episode.

Oh yeah,  they did use that for the theme song...

I remember hezring it with a filmstrip about the future in school.

• LOL 1