Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E16: The D & D Vortex

54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ditto. Did Kevin Smith even get a line?

Oh yeah, he had a couple lines.  He asked why they couldn't try diplomacy instead of always trying to kill the monster (in the game), and Manganiello said something like "Of course Podcast here wants to talk it over, what a surprise".

And then he told Shatner to put a dollar in the Star Trek jar.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I loved that they had a Star Trek jar for Shatner.

Although he's probably the last person who voluntarily talks about it in real life!

If I ever were to run into him on the street I'd shout: "Hey! It's TJ Hooker!"

Edited by 2727
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Although he's probably the last person who voluntarily talks about it in real life!

If I ever were to run into him on the street I'd shout: "Hey! It's TJ Hooker!"

“It’s Denny Crane!”

That would really get a double take out of him.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

And Sackhoff was just a figment of Howard's imagination.  

That's what made her dry wit so funny. She totally nailed Howard's skeeviness, even though it was his fantasy.

With the girls, they will likely all focus on the one guy they deem the sexiest (in this case, Manganiello).

Kareem was the sexiest man in that room, by far. He's a very talented writer, now, in addition to other things he's doing. Rowr.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, rmontro said:

Penny shutting down "grandpa" Shatner, but he was no more flirty with her than Professor Proton, and she was very sweet to him.

I think that was totally in character. Shatner has an entirely different "energy" than Bob Newhart/Professor Proton. Much more aggressive and without the self doubt that makes his obvious interest less threatening. Just like she was totally skeeved out by Howard, but was sweet to Leonard and eventually married him.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

My guess is that goes towards snacks.  

Good guess, and I bet you'd be right.  I don't know much about D&D, but the reason I mentioned D&D equipment is that my impression is that there are different versions and expansions you can buy, as well as different dice and miniatures,  There's plenty of stuff you could spend the money on.  Maybe they'd buy alcohol.  Or since Kevin Smith is there, weed.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

Good guess, and I bet you'd be right.  I don't know much about D&D, but the reason I mentioned D&D equipment is that my impression is that there are different versions and expansions you can buy, as well as different dice and miniatures,  There's plenty of stuff you could spend the money on.  Maybe they'd buy alcohol.  Or since Kevin Smith is there, weed.

I am sure that they all make enough to buy theirown gear. There is some pretty cool gaming stuff out there but it is within the typical High School kids budget so nothing those folks can’t afford. I am sure the money is used for pizza and snacks. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, shapeshifter said:

Ditto. Did Kevin Smith even get a line?

Yes. I forget what it was but remembered because it was as so poorly delivered. Something about wanting to talk through the problem.

I find it difficult to believe Leonard hasn’t seen Airplane.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes. I forget what it was but remembered because it was as so poorly delivered. Something about wanting to talk through the problem.

I find it difficult to believe Leonard hasn’t seen Airplane.

Asides from Shatner none of the guest stars seemed to want to be there. It could be poor acting skills but I picked up a lack of interest as well. 

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope IRL the stakes are higher and it goes for charity 
—even though I realize they then use it as a tax write off.

That's another good guess, it could go for charity.  Or maybe it goes toward buying Bill a new horse.  

Then again, how much money could there realistically be in there?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope IRL the stakes are higher and it goes for charity 
—even though I realize they then use it as a tax write off.

Celebrities: they're just like us!

If this was RL I'd guess there would be $50 or so after a few weeks and the money went for snacks or beer. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

If this was RL I'd guess there would be $50 or so after a few weeks and the money went for snacks or beer. 

In real life we wouldn't have a Star Trek jar though.  I used to know a guy who worked for a living making springs, and he would go on for hours in great detail about how to set up the machines, and the measurements, and tolerances.  It was his favorite subject.  We humored him and listened, but looking back maybe we should have had a spring jar.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Not gonna lie.  Sheldon ecstatically gushing "Captain on the bridge!  Captain on the bridge!" had me snorting wine out of my nose.  And how sweet of Wil Wheaton to book Shatner on his show on the same day as Sheldon, knowing what a fan Sheldon is.  I love how their relationship has evolved, but I do miss evil!Wil Wheaton.  This was a nice wrap-up.

My theory on the photo is that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was the guy setting up the camera shot, and he didn't realize the height discrepancy.  Which in my head makes it funnier....  In KAJ's head, he's a nebbishy nerd, not a legendary basketball star.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I love how their relationship has evolved, but I do miss evil!Wil Wheaton. 

Well, it was Wil's idea to send the guys the picture of the girls playing with the celebrities.  So obviously there's a little of that darkness still in him.

I'm not sure I understand why Leonard said "We deserved that" after getting the picture though.  Seems to me they all just wanted a seat at the D&D table, just like the girls did.  Just like WIl does, just like the celebrities do.  Not sure what was so horrible about that.  Leonard kept it a secret from his friends, but that was Wil's condition for him to be there.  And the fact that they let all the girls come showed that there was room for more than one of them after all, if Wil had really wanted them there.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, rmontro said:

Well, it was Wil's idea to send the guys the picture of the girls playing with the celebrities.  So obviously there's a little of that darkness still in him.

I'm not sure I understand why Leonard said "We deserved that" after getting the picture though.  Seems to me they all just wanted a seat at the D&D table, just like the girls did.  Just like WIl does, just like the celebrities do.  Not sure what was so horrible about that.  Leonard kept it a secret from his friends, but that was Wil's condition for him to be there.  And the fact that they let all the girls come showed that there was room for more than one of them after all, if Wil had really wanted them there.

They wanted a seat at the game not just because it was a game of D&D but because of who was playing the game. Leonard texted Wil at the end to invite him to their game and that was the first time that they invited Wil. Leonard couldn't keep his mouth shut, he wanted to brag that he got to play with the celebs, not that he played with Wil. It was all ego and no interest in the game itself. Essentially, Wil was right, they were using Wil's celebrity and not caring about WIl the person.

So the "we deserved that" was an acknowledgment that Leonard and comp were only interested in Wil's game because they could meet the Celebs and not because they wanted to play with Wil. Wil invited the Ladies knowing that it would irk Leonard and the Men. The Men seemed to understand the dig.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

It relates to what Wil was saying about them just using him to get to his famous friends rather than actually wanting to be his friend.  Which was true in the context of this episode.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

They wanted a seat at the game not just because it was a game of D&D but because of who was playing the game.

As opposed to the girls, who were only interested in the D&D action, and not Joe Manganiello's biceps?

I actually think the guys would have been interested in playing D&D with Wil, even if the celebrities weren't there.

Okay, Leonard couldn't keep his mouth shut.  He only told Penny.  If Wil was smart, he wouldn't expect him to keep it from his wife.  Spouses generally tell each other everything.  Penny was the one who blabbed to the others, but she was invited to the game afterwards.  The other guys didn't blab.  I can see excluding Sheldon, because he barfed on Shatner.  Sheldon is Sheldon after all.  But I don't see what the other guys did as being that bad.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

But I don't see what the other guys did as being that bad.

Experienced players should know enough not to show up uninvited to a D&D game. It may screw up whatever the Dungeon Master has planned. It's easier to accommodate newbies like the ladies. The guys also take their gaming too seriously (esp. Sheldon, hence Wil's more emphatic no).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The guys also take their gaming too seriously (esp. Sheldon, hence Wil's more emphatic no).

I figured the emphatic no was more because of Shatner, who probably wouldn't want to be around the guy who vomited on him.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

As opposed to the girls, who were only interested in the D&D action, and not Joe Manganiello's biceps?

I actually think the guys would have been interested in playing D&D with Wil, even if the celebrities weren't there.

Okay, Leonard couldn't keep his mouth shut.  He only told Penny.  If Wil was smart, he wouldn't expect him to keep it from his wife.  Spouses generally tell each other everything.  Penny was the one who blabbed to the others, but she was invited to the game afterwards.  The other guys didn't blab.  I can see excluding Sheldon, because he barfed on Shatner.  Sheldon is Sheldon after all.  But I don't see what the other guys did as being that bad.

Wil probably excluded the others because of Shatner and how he knew they would act. Raj and Howard tried to call and pretend to be Shatner to get an invite. All four showed up begging to play because of Shatner. Sheldon had already introduced himself to Shatner, so there was no reason to pretend that would go well.

Leonard is the most level headed of the bunch, which is why he was offered a chance to play in the first place. And Penny could have cared less about the people there until they got to Joe, there is no way for Leonard to know why Penny would be so into Joe.

Agreed that the Ladies only wanted to be there because of Joe and Kareem, but Wil knew that. He invited them just to flip off the Guys. And I doubt the Ladies were going to be as annoying as the Guys. Amy can be creepy in her obsessions but she is easily dealt with. Bernadette was more interested in Kareem and Penny is far more level headed with any Guy.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

And Penny could have cared less about the people there until they got to Joe,

You'd think that if Penny had any sort of acting aspirations left in her, she would have wanted to go just to network.  She seems like just the sort that Kevin Smith would cast in one of her movies - not that that would help her career much, lol.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

You'd think that if Penny had any sort of acting aspirations left in her, she would have wanted to go just to network.  She seems like just the sort that Kevin Smith would cast in one of her movies - not that that would help her career much, lol.

They already did that story when she was on Wil’s podcast with Kevin Smith a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Have they ever invited him to play at their place?  (That we've seen, of course.)

This was the first time that we saw. I think Leonard said as much when he texted Wil to see if he wanted to play.

4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I think Penny is done with acting. She is comfortable with her job and her pay check.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, rmontro said:

As @Dani, pointed out, they already did that storyline. If I remember correctly, she went to audition, saw a dozen blonde girls that looked just like her and remembered why she lost interest in acting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I think Penny is done with acting. She is comfortable with her job and her pay check.

As much as I hope you're right, I'm afraid they'll give her some sort of breakthrough at the end of the series.  Although that's looking more like it's going to be a pregnancy for her at this point.

Anyway, just because she's met Kevin Smith before doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial for her to get to know him better, and to rub shoulders with more celebrities - IF she still has any interest in acting, that is.

I think Will is forgetting the fact that the guys gave him the extra ticket to see the new Star Wars movie with them.  They didn't have to do that and seemed to just want him for the pleasure of his company.  If anything, those three guys would practically be loathe to show up at any kind of a Star Wars event with a Star Trekker, so that should show Will that they just like him for himself.

• Love 5

Finally saw this one.  Not bad at all!  Following up on last weeks episode which IMO was one of the better ones this season I have fresh hope that we are going to have BBT go out on a high note.  Which will make me happy.

Loved the Ghost reference Raj makes early in the episode talking about poor Stuart 🙂 .

59 minutes ago, FinnishViewer said:

Speaking of Stuart, he's got a lot of white hair now compared to when he first appeared.

Isn't that at least in part a directorial choice? I mean, even if Kevin Sussman (Stuart) is the only actor in the cast who doesn't dye his hair, they could spray on temporary color when he appears if they wanted to convey that he was younger or at least the same age as the others.

(edited)
9 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

Speaking of Stuart, he's got a lot of white hair now compared to when he first appeared.

Barry Kripke, too.

Edited by Zoe
  • Love 1