Type keyword(s) to search

Oscar Snubs: They Wuz Robbed!

• Start Topic

^ I absolutely 100% agree about Star Wars.  Hold it up against The Big Short and you tell me that Star Wars isn't better, I mean, come on!

I'll tell you that.  I think once you remove sentimentality and nostalgia, people will realize that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is an okay-to-good movie and not a great movie.

It’s perfectly fine for what it is; a popcorn flick, visually stunning movie with predicable plot and decent acting.

• Love 6

Fruitvale Station, Creed:  Michael B. Jordan just can't get any love. 

This might belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I think it is ridiculous that an actor doesn't win an Oscar for an otherwise superb performance because of stuff that has nothing to do with the movie he or she is nominated for. Why the heck should it matter if Eddie Murphy's next film after Dreamgirls was Norbit?  Or that Russell Crowe got into a fight?  How does that affect whether that person gave the best performance for that category in that film? 

I hope Chris Rock BRINGS IT at this year's ceremonies. 

• Love 5

I'll tell you that.  I think once you remove sentimentality and nostalgia, people will realize that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is an okay-to-good movie and not a great movie.

It bored me to death--I kept nodding off.

I thought Will Smith was robbed.

Agreed!

I also agree with the lack of Ant Man for visual effects.

Fruitvale Station, Creed:  Michael B. Jordan just can't get any love. 

This might belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I think it is ridiculous that an actor doesn't win an Oscar for an otherwise superb performance because of stuff that has nothing to do with the movie he or she is nominated for. Why the heck should it matter if Eddie Murphy's next film after Dreamgirls was Norbit?  Or that Russell Crowe got into a fight?  How does that affect whether that person gave the best performance for that category in that film? 

I hope Chris Rock BRINGS IT at this year's ceremonies. 

In a perfect world, it wouldn't. But the Oscars seem as political as anything. I suspect Will Smith didn't get nominated because of the antics of his kids. Just a hunch.

Not only that, but to be nominated for an Acting Oscar the movie must be seen as near perfect as well (a lot of the time).  The voters and voting process could be so much more creative.  For example, if a Best Picture nominee has only okay acting then don't nominate the actors, but if an average / okay movie has the best acting performances of the year then those performances should be nominated.  Obviously it does happen sometimes, but not often enough and it seems like the Oscars were MASSIVELY uncreative this year on many levels.

I'll tell you that.  I think once you remove sentimentality and nostalgia, people will realize that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is an okay-to-good movie and not a great movie.

To directly counter that, absolutely no one will talk about or remember The Big Short next year.  People will talk about this Star Wars forever.

In a perfect world, it wouldn't. But the Oscars seem as political as anything. I suspect Will Smith didn't get nominated because of the antics of his kids. Just a hunch.

I don't think his kids are a factor at all.  Just looking at how white the list of nominees (not just actors) will tell you that.  Idris Elba and Michael B. Jordan lead very uncontroversial lives for instance.

Roman Polanski (won in 2002) and Woody Allen (Jesus, the guy has like 30 nominations and won most recently in 2011!) seem to have no problems being nominated and Will Smith's life is 100x less controversial than theirs.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Because I've seen both of those and I'm commenting on what I know and what I've seen - it's my personal subjective opinion.  This thread is about what we see as Oscar snubs.

In my opinion BEFORE and AFTER seeing The Big Short it's that perfect "Here's a bunch of white people!" type movie that the Academy loves to nominate.  See also:  Joy, Steve Jobs.  For Pete's sake, Jennifer Lawrence has 4 Oscar nominations at age 25..... my personal opinion is that that is disproportionate.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I totally agree on Jennifer Lawrence. I think it's insane that she has that many nominations already. What is she, the second coming of Marlon Brando? DId she invent a new style of acting? I swear, people are going to look back on her rise to prominence years from now and be like, what hell was so special about her and these movies she was in? And then it will have to be explained to them that she had a really wacky, crass personality offscreen that people were obsessed with, so the quality of the movies she was in didn't matter one bit.

As for The Big Short, I disagree with you- I think people should see that movie. Yes, it's a bunch of white men, but no one understands what happened on Wall Street in the lead-up to the collapse and it's actually a big deal and I think the movie does a good job in laying it all out there so it's not forgotten. Adam McKay obviously feels passionate about that and I do think it's a really good and actually important movie to see.

• Love 10

I never said that people shouldn't see it.   I get what you're saying and my comments were not at all about the subject matter or about its subject matter's importance.  I just don't (personally) think it's a great film, and I don't think it will be remembered for time to come.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I totally agree on Jennifer Lawrence. I think it's insane that she has that many nominations already. What is she, the second coming of Marlon Brando? DId she invent a new style of acting? I swear, people are going to look back on her rise to prominence years from now and be like, what hell was so special about her and these movies she was in? And then it will have to be explained to them that she had a really wacky, crass personality offscreen that people were obsessed with, so the quality of the movies she was in didn't matter one bit.

I think she's getting the Meryl Streep treatment – (i.e., nominated based on her name and not her actual work).

Also Hollywood thinks she's their only movie star

Well at the moment she is, unfortunately. Is there anyone in Hollywood right now, specifically in her age group that's as popular as her? Currently she IS young Hollywood. There's no one else. It certainly isn't the 80s and 90s anymore when there were quite a few mega stars i.e. Julia Roberts, Demi Moore, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc.

BOT - I will agree with those that said Idris Elba was snubbed. He was excellent in Beast of No Nation.

Okay, but so F'ing what? It's best performance by an actor in a lead/supporting role, not best performance by an actor whose life choices and family we approve of. If it's not on the screen, it's not part of the performance, and it isn't relevant. Which only means that I personally think the Academy is full of crap.

• Love 3

Hard to believe that Alan Rickman was never nominated for an Oscar.

ITA. He should've been nominated for Die Hard, Truly, Madly, Deeply, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves & Sense & Sensibility.

I think once you remove sentimentality and nostalgia, people will realize that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is an okay-to-good movie and not a great movie.

It's perfectly fine for what it is; a popcorn flick, a visually stunning movie with predictable plot and decent acting.

I respectfully disagree. Not only am I not the most sentimental person in the world by a long shot, when I first heard about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, because the first two prequels were epic fails and Revenge Of the Sith was by far the best of the lot-which wasn't that hard- I had my doubts ( to put it mildly), but when I heard that one of the writers was Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote The Empire Strikes Back, which is not only widely considered to be the best SW movie of all time, it's also considered to be one of the best sequels of all time, I decided to give the film a chance and I'm thrilled I did, not just because of "nostalgia" or "sentimental value," but because I think it's a great film with great performances, not just great special effects and Heaven willing, I'll still feel that way many years from now.

• Love 1

I thought Will Smith was robbed.

Me too. He was amazing in Concussion. It's one of the few times I've seen him just disappear into a role. And I'm someone for whom the mere presence of Will Smith in a movie trailer is enough to make me NOT see the movie.

For Pete's sake, Jennifer Lawrence has 4 Oscar nominations at age 25..... my personal opinion is that that is disproportionate.

Having seen Silver Linings Playbook (for which she won) and American Hustle (for which she was nominated), I can say I don't get it either. She was terrible in both movies - especially American Hustle.

The Big Short it's that perfect "Here's a bunch of white people!" type movie that the Academy loves to nominate.

Testify.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Weird but after watching Atonement, I'm mystified why it didn't win for cinematography. Every shot was like a painting. I mean There Will Be Blood was pretty, but it wasn't like this. How did this film not win? (I've figured out how to embed gifs so I've been a bit gif-crazy lately)

giphy.gif  

flander.gif

• Love 4

I agree with Alan Rickman, it's too bad he couldn't have gotten the same kind of appreciation for being hysterical in Robin Hood, and gotten an Oscar much like Kevin Kline did for A Fish Called Wanda.

On another note, I wish Donald Sutherland had been nominated, either for Ordinary People or for his tiny but significant role in JFK.

• Love 2

Cary Grant's whole career is like one big presentation on all the problems with the Academy acting awards. He got two nominations for "serious", sentimental weepers that no one remembers anymore. While not getting any kind of recognition for his stellar work in comedies and thrillers that cemented his status as a legendary leading man. He does brilliant comedic work in Sylvia Scarlett (totally stealing the show from Katherine Hepburn in the process), The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Holiday, Arsenic and Old Lace, North By Northwest, Charade. He does great, subtle dramatic work in Holiday, Only Angels Have Wings, Suspicion, Notorious, Mr. Lucky (little known, but an interesting movie), An Affair to Remember, North by Northwest.

In fact, watching Suspicion and knowing that Fontaine won an Oscar for her IMO stilted and mannered performance (ducking her head and constantly making googly eyes to convey "shyness" or something...) while Grant is pretty much acting circles around her is a bit weird. I realize that part of that is that certain acting styles have aged better than others and that part of Grant's lasting appeal is that he translates as more "modern". Also it was probably partly a make-up Oscar (even back then!) for Fontaine since she didn't win for her (superior) work in Rebecca and other politics. But, for me at least, he's terrifying in that movie, all surface charm and hidden menace and sadism, while she throws you right out of the movie with all her exaggerated affectations. Yet she was rewarded, and he only got recognition from the Academy for on-the-nose "serious" stuff he did and not for the various genre work that rightly made him famous and where he really excelled and created a lasting legacy.

• Love 5
(edited)

It pissed me off knowing that Timothee Chalamet didn't have a chance in hell at winning an Oscar despite his awesome performance because of his age. Ugh. I also wasn't that enamored with Gary Oldman's performance in the Darkest Hour.

I also really thought that Sebastian Stan should have been nominated for his work in I, Tonya. How he didn't get any rewards recognition for that part is beyond me. He managed to take a maligned caricature and make him into a real, sympathetic human being while not excusing his abusive behavior.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 9
(edited)

Off topic, but gawd hearing the media constantly talking about how Timothee Chalamet as "one of the the youngest ever oscar nominees" at 22 (which was well deserved and true) while pretty much only mentioning Saoirse Ronan (3-time oscar nomineee at 23)'s funny name all awards season was soo annoying. They even did it when interviewing both at the same time! 

But yes, Timothee Chalamet totally deserved to win, even though everyone knew it wasn't going to happen. I'm still not sure whether Armie Hammer deserved a nom. He wasn't as obviously incredible as Chalamet, but he did do a good job. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2
(edited)

I had a similar feeling about Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in the Social Network. I'm not as enamored with the film as I was when I was 24, but I still think he should have won over Colin, who was definitely the "safe" choice. He also kind of had the "we've liked his roles over the years" vote.

I'm still kind of impressed that Eddie Redmayne managed to pull off his win. He was actually 33 but still seemed younger than that, I do think that was a weaker year for that category, so that probably helped. The only real competition he seemed to have was Michael Keaton, who did have the compelling comeback story narrative.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I saw Call Me By Your Name & I think that Timothee' Chalamet not only should have won the Best Actor Oscar, Armie Hammer & Michael Stuhlbarg  should have gotten Supporting Actor nominations.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I saw Call Me By Your Name & I think that Timothee' Chalamet not only should have won the Best Actor Oscar, Armie Hammer & Michael Stuhlbarg  should have gotten Supporting Actor nominations.

Stuhlbarg especially. I didn't see Phantom Thread, so I can't say if the guy nominated for that deserved it, but man did Stuhlbarg deserve a nomination.

To be fair though, 2017 was one of those rare years where every single acting category was stacked. (I.E. at least three very strong performances that could have won in any other year.) That year was just that good.

It's funny that this thread is talking about being sick of Jennifer Lawrence, and then the 2015-2016 awards season is the last one she's a part of.

Found these two videos that look into the two biggest snubs of Oscar history, Bette Davis not getting nominated at all for Mice and Men in 1935 and Grace Kelly beating Judy Garland in 1955.

The Grace Kelly blueprint seems reminiscent of Gwyneth Paltrow winning the Oscar over Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth- GP even had an updated Grace Kelly Mainline ice cold blonde persona at the time. Cate Blanchett wasn't considered a conventional beauty and she wasn't the "Next Big Thing." She did differ in the sense that she wasn't a problem child star with a bad rep, though.

It's interesting when you think though that Cate Blanchett arguably has had a much better film career than GP did/has, who at this point seems to be phoning it in as Pepper Potts in the MCU while extolling the benefits of putting a jade egg in your lady parts. Meanwhile Cate's got her 2nd Oscar and she seems to have first-pick in a lot of roles for her age group.

(edited)

Bumping it up with my snubs:

While Us isn't a "perfect" movie, both of Lupita Nyong'o's performances were. 

As over-the-top as Awkwafina was in Crazy Rich Asians,  that's how subtle she was in The Farewell, because of Lulu Wang's direction and screenplay. It's a shame both were ignored.

While Eddie Murphy has made some shitty movies in the past (cough*Norbit* cough), Dolemite Is My Name  not only isn't one of them, it's his best work in years. It was a labor of love and it shows. So what if, by some Academy voters' standards, Murphy campaigned "too hard?" He's not the first & he won't be the last.

Another one with a mostly shitty movie resume is Jennifer Lopez, as Gigli alone proves; otoh, calling that movie shitty is an insult to shit, which is why her performance in Hustlers was, like Murphy's in DIMN, some of her best work in years. While J.Lo's dance to Fiona Apple's "Criminal" was hot, she had me at "Climb in my fur." 

To call Taron Egerton's performance in Rocketman incredible is an understatement. He was amazing from start to finish. Egerton was even better in Rocketman than Rami Malek was in Bohemian Rhapsody, plus he did his own singing, which hopefully he'll do again, since the Academy did  have sense enough to nominate "I'm Gonna Love Me Again" for best Original Song.

Greta Gerwig getting snubbed for directing the 2019 reboot of Little Women is not a good look. She shouldn't have been nominated for being a woman; she should have been nominated because she's a great director who just happens to be a woman. Gerwig's gender should be beside the point, not the point itself.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

Yeah, Taron was. Unfortunately he had two things against him- Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhaposdy the year prior, and being only 30. It absolutely sucks he didn't even get nominated.

16 hours ago, DollEyes said:

As over-the-top as Awkwafina was in Crazy Rich Asians,  that's how subtle she was in The Farewell, because of Lulu Wang's direction and screenplay. It's a shame both were ignored.

Unfortunately, the Academy prefers the showier parts.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I was thrilled for Rami. I thought he was the best part of BoRap and supported his wins all the way through awards season. 

Taron was better.  Even though I never expected him to win (except for the Golden Globe) because of how strong the category is this year, among other factors, I was pissed that he wasn't nominated. 

I was surprised at all the nominations BoRap got (besides Best Actor and Sound mixing) because even though it was my favorite movie of the year, I didn't think it was one of the best movies of the year.  Rocketman was a far better movie.  So, no nomination or Hair and Make Up? Costumes? Set Design?  Hell, they  had one more slot for Best Picture and they couldn't throw it in that category?  Yeah, I'm bitter. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Yeah, I'm bitter. 

Me too.  I'm still glad Rami won last year because I did love BR, but that shouldn't have stopped Rocketman and Taron from getting more nominations!  Musical biopics get nominated all the time!

• Love 4
On 1/27/2020 at 9:00 AM, DollEyes said:

Bumping it up with my snubs:

While Us isn't a "perfect" movie, both of Lupita Nyong'o's performances were. 

Frankly I'm at a loss trying to understand what people's issues with "Us" were.  To me it was almost perfect.  Alongside Lupita, I would have nominated it for Best Picture and Director. 

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I was surprised at all the nominations BoRap got (besides Best Actor and Sound mixing) because even though it was my favorite movie of the year, I didn't think it was one of the best movies of the year.  Rocketman was a far better movie.  So, no nomination or Hair and Make Up? Costumes? Set Design?  Hell, they  had one more slot for Best Picture and they couldn't throw it in that category?  Yeah, I'm bitter. 

The costumes snub is the craziest snub.  I would have also nominated both Taron and Jamie Bell.

I don't know if Adam Sandler is one of my favourite performances of the year, but I would have liked to see him nominated nonetheless.  I need to watch "Uncut Gems" again.  I also really liked Constance Wu in "Hustlers".  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, Taron was. Unfortunately he had two things against him- Rami Malek winning for Bohemian Rhaposdy the year prior, and being only 30. It absolutely sucks he didn't even get nominated.

Unfortunately, the Academy prefers the showier parts.

Yep.  That's why I was so surprised when Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies.  It was a subtle and understated performance, and those usually get overlooked by the Academy.

51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep.  That's why I was so surprised when Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies.  It was a subtle and understated performance, and those usually get overlooked by the Academy.

2015 really was Mark Rylance's year with his roles in both Bridge of Spies and Wolf Hall.  He seemed to be nominated everywhere for those two roles, so I was not that surprised when he won the Oscar.  His name was everywhere which is a great thing for a quiet working actor who has been toiling away for decades before getting his one big role.  I do think his work on Wolf Hall helped him to win the Oscar.  

On 1/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Me too.  I'm still glad Rami won last year because I did love BR, but that shouldn't have stopped Rocketman and Taron from getting more nominations!  Musical biopics get nominated all the time!

Exactly. Saying that Taron and Rocketman shouldn't have been nominated because of Rami Malek and Bohemian Rhapsody is like saying that Parasite shouldn't have been nominated because of Roma, that Moonlight shouldn't have been nominated because of Brokeback Mountain or that Goodfellas shouldn't have been nominated because of The Godfather, Parts 1 & 2 .

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
On 1/29/2020 at 1:14 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I'm not a super fan of Bradley Cooper, but the guy learned to sing, learn to play guitar, lowered his voice and sang LIVE for the camera. (Oh, he also wrote, produced and directed the movie.) What else does he have to do? 

Rami was good in getting the choreography of being Freddie right, but other than that, there really wasn't much to his performance. (I AM a super fan of Queen and Freddie, and while I wasn't looking for accuracy, Rami's Freddie just didn't have spirit.)

So Rami's win (and I love the guy too, don't get me wrong) double snubbed Cooper and Taron Edgerton who had to take on a 1970s flamboyant musician, with more substance an depth. 

But my real heartbreak on this topic is composer Thomas Newman, who has lost a record 15 nominations, the most recent one for 1917. He's done amazing scores for The Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, American Beauty, so much more. His work is heard all the time as trailer music for other movies, montages on the news – his work is iconic and stands the test of time. I can't annoyed when the "they're due!!!" card is played, because many of the choices can take a seat, please. Good thing Roger Deakins (13 losses before he won) and sound designer Kevin O'Connell (21 losses before he won) have gotten their statues already. 

(PS. Thomas' father, Alfred Newman – he of the 20th Century Fox fanfare logo music – won 9 Oscars himself. I hope this isn't an added torture for Thomas.)

• Love 2
On 1/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, proserpina65 said:

I was also surprised by that because it should have gone to Stallone.

Yeah, that's right, Stallone.

1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

I was also surprised by that because it should have gone to Stallone.

Yeah, that's right, Stallone.

And if Stallone had remembered to thank Creed writer/director Ryan Coogler and co-star Michael B. Jordan when he won the Supporting Actor Golden Globe, he might have won.

Edited by DollEyes

I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it here on this thread,too. That River Phoenix did NOT get the Best Supporting Oscar for Running on Empty for his cathartic and semi-autobiographical performance while Kevin Kline DID get it in 1988 for his snotty, smarmy performance  in that grating (IMO) flick A Fish Called Wanda is something that should never have been allowed to have happened ! 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, pancake bacon said:

But my real heartbreak on this topic is composer Thomas Newman, who has lost a record 15 nominations, the most recent one for 1917. He's done amazing scores for The Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, American Beauty, so much more.  [...] Thomas' father, Alfred Newman – he of the 20th Century Fox fanfare logo music – won 9 Oscars himself. I hope this isn't an added torture for Thomas.)

And cousin Randy, who was competing with him in the Score category this year, has won two (out of 22 nominations). Neither was for his best work, but they're quite an illustrious movie-music family. 

An acting addition to the topic: There are always performances that, as years go by, look like more egregious snubs for their lack of even a nomination. One that comes to mind from the past decade is Oscar Isaac for Inside Llewyn Davis. I think that when it's all said and done, he'll be recognized as one of the greats of his generation, and that was a commanding hard-sell performance in which he was in every scene. I suppose in 2013-14, he just didn't have a high enough profile. Four of the five in the category were very famous people, and the fifth, Chiwetel Ejiofor, was in the ultimate Best Picture winner.  

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it here on this thread,too. That River Phoenix did NOT get the Best Supporting Oscar for Running on Empty for his cathartic and semi-autobiographical performance while Kevin Kline DID get it in 1988 for his snotty, smarmy performance  in that grating (IMO) flick A Fish Called Wanda is something that should never have been allowed to have happened ! 

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  On the flip side, though, I always appreciate it when a genre other than drama can win an award--especially comedy.  It's not as easy as it looks, I'm sure.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, pancake bacon said:

I'm not a super fan of Bradley Cooper, but the guy learned to sing, learn to play guitar, lowered his voice and sang LIVE for the camera. (Oh, he also wrote, produced and directed the movie.) What else does he have to do? 

Bradley Cooper was soooooooo gooooooood in that movie.  I really thought it would end up being one of those grandiose movies that snapped up all the awards, but that didn't happen!

• Love 4

Yesterday I rewatched The Talented Mr. Ripley and I'll never understand why Matt Damon didn't get nominated for Best Actor.  Jude Law was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but I think Damon wuz robbed.    

• Love 6
On 3/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Simon Boccanegra said:

And cousin Randy, who was competing with him in the Score category this year, has won two (out of 22 nominations). Neither was for his best work, but they're quite an illustrious movie-music family. 

But at least Randy Newman has an Oscar already. Thomas hasn't even landed one. But yes, the Newmans should be recognized alongside the Coppolas and the Hustons as an Oscar family.

6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yesterday I rewatched The Talented Mr. Ripley and I'll never understand why Matt Damon didn't get nominated for Best Actor.  Jude Law was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but I think Damon wuz robbed.    

Matt Damon's performance is one of the high hallmarks of cinema acting I've seen ever. He earned a pancake bacon Eternal Pass (and it gets close to being revoked sometimes; why are you problematic, Matt?) and it's the kind of smart, internalized role that the Academy doesn't reward so much anymore, which leads me to… 

New Unpopular Opinion (from me, but maybe not this thread): I'm still have faux-PTSD from Leo diCaprio's extreme campaigning on his Revenant run. Apart from totally playing up the "he's due" card (and really, Leo could still wait), campaigned hard core that he even got an audience with Pope Francis (could that ever be topped?) – for a role that for me, was three hours of parlor tricks acting. That year, I wished the Academy had given the Oscar to… Matt Damon for The Martian

• Love 6

I've heard dozens of people over the years say that no one cares for the lower awards (cinematography, sound, editing, etc), but the two snubs that I'm still flabbergasted by (not including Rocketman this year) were Baby Driver not winning in the sound categories and Bad Times at the El Royale not even getting nominated for set design.  Speaking of Bad Times, no nomination for Cynthia Erivo and Jeff Bridges are a puzzler, too.

• Love 1