Type keyword(s) to search

The Fix (2019) - General Discussion

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Debuts March 18, 2019

The show, co-written by O.J. Simpson prosecutor Marcia Clark, centers on Maya Travis (Robin Tunney), an L.A. district attorney who suffers a devastating defeat when prosecuting an A-list actor for double murder. After laying low, she is lured back into the DA’s office after the same man is under suspicion for another murder eight years later. (Deadline) 

UPDATE: This topic has been spoiler tagged, as single topics will contain spoilers if posters are not up to date with the most current episode. 

True spoilers should still be hidden with spoiler tags. 

Thanks to my work schedule, I rarely watch anything live. I love my Tablo as much as I loved the Tivo I had before it. ☺️

I like Robin Tunney, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I've also been following the show's development in the Happier in Hollywood podcast, so I hope for Liz and Sarah's sake, the show does well.

As for the subject matter... well, I guess we'll see.  

• Love 3

Most of the reviews I've read are along the lines of it being okay in the sense of a generic murder mystery... but considering its inspiration in the OJ trial - the resulting racial aspect is not handled well. 

• Love 1

I'm in for awhile. I dig the boyfriend. I never can recall his name but I enjoy the purdy. I want to know what was in the bag & why wife #1 sticks around this maroon. I'm guessing $$$, but jeebus, aren't you afraid?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

Most of the reviews I've read are along the lines of it being okay in the sense of a generic murder mystery... but considering its inspiration in the OJ trial - the resulting racial aspect is not handled well. 

The show comes across as petulant and oblivious. Clark clearly wants to reframe herself as Cassandra who no one bothered listening to. Ugh. I don't think there's any part of this that's worth watching. Furthermore, she could have varied how the antagonist was depicted. He didn't need to be an OJ analogue. Since the trial we've found out how many celebrities and athletes have real issues with violence and sexual assault: Charlie Sheen, Sean Penn, Sean Connery, Mel Gibson, Phil Spectre, Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein. Heck, there's Robert Durst. There are compelling nuanced stories to tell about the criminal justice system wealth and celebrity, but Clark simply wanted to say OJ was guilty and you didn't listen to me.

3 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm in for awhile. I dig the boyfriend. I never can recall his name but I enjoy the purdy. I want to know what was in the bag & why wife #1 sticks around this maroon. I'm guessing $$$, but jeebus, aren't you afraid?

Adam Rayner from Tyrant plays her ex-boyfriend who is a DA. Marc Blucas plays her current rancher boyfriend.

• Love 5

I wish Marcia Clark wasn't involved with this show. The show was actually pretty interesting until the memories of the OJ trial come back.  Maya and her former colleagues and the LA settings were good. Made me realize how much I miss The Closer and Major Crimes, for sure.

The only way this season ends in a way that I could accept is if Sevvy isn't guilty. Because otherwise it will just be a tedious waste of everyone's time. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, tessaray said:

Made me realize how much I miss The Closer and Major Crimes, for sure.

Also, the only way this season ends in a way that I could accept is if Sevvy isn't guilty. Because otherwise it will just be tedious. 

Seconded, on both counts.

I'm puzzled by some of the choices the showrunners/M.Clark made. Did they think they needed legal protection from libel charges or something? Because why cast a not-traditionally-handsome Brit as the OJ? I always assumed it was OJ's All American hero/dream boyfriend status among black women that contributed heavily to the jury's acquittal. Also, making the floppy haired young enabler a stepson instead of er, whatever Kato Kaelin was in reality?

In general, this came across as a fantasy that's been playing in Clark's head for 20+years, and it's not exactly full of surprises. Wikipedia calls it a 'self serving rewrite of modern history', and that sounds about right.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I'm puzzled by some of the choices the showrunners/M.Clark made. Did they think they needed legal protection from libel charges or something? Because why cast a not-traditionally-handsome Brit as the OJ? I always assumed it was OJ's All American hero/dream boyfriend status among black women that contributed heavily to the jury's acquittal. Also, making the floppy haired young enabler a stepson instead of er, whatever Kato Kaelin was in reality?

Maybe someone slipped in a subtle dig about the way British actors get cast over African American actors for iconic American roles?  

If you leave OJ out of it, the basic plot is okay. Retired prosecutor gets another chance at the one who got away. Clark is trying to have it both ways though, and you just can't. 

ETA: Making the KK character a stepson makes sense to me. Family sticks around when others disappear.  But yeah, he's just there to remind us of KK - not a great choice, IMO. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The show comes across as petulant and oblivious. Clark clearly wants to reframe herself as Cassandra who no one bothered listening to. Ugh. I don't think there's any part of this that's worth watching. Furthermore, she could have varied how the antagonist was depicted. He didn't need to be an OJ analogue. Since the trial we've found out how many celebrities and athletes have real issues with violence and sexual assault: Charlie Sheen, Sean Penn, Sean Connery, Mel Gibson, Phil Spectre, Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein. Heck, there's Robert Durst. There are compelling nuanced stories to tell about the criminal justice system wealth and celebrity, but Clark simply wanted to say OJ was guilty and you didn't listen to me.

Adam Rayner from Tyrant plays her ex-boyfriend who is a DA. Marc Blucas plays her current rancher boyfriend.

9 hours ago, tessaray said:

I wish Marcia Clark wasn't involved with this show. The show was actually pretty interesting until the memories of the OJ trial come back.  Maya and her former colleagues and the LA settings were good. Made me realize how much I miss The Closer and Major Crimes, for sure.

The only way this season ends in a way that I could accept is if Sevvy isn't guilty. Because otherwise it will just be a tedious waste of everyone's time. 

I know that's going to be the problem with this show- Marcia Clark's involvement.  There's no WAY Sevvy is going to be innocent.  She wants to "right" the wrong by having this show go the way she feels it should have with OJ's case.  Not that I necessarily disagree, but that leaves no suspense for the viewers.  We are not wondering IF he's guilty or not, just WHEN it will be revealed.  I am watching because I found the clips of Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje intriguing.  I just wish there was some doubt as to whether or not he actually committed the crime.  

• Love 4

After being disappointed by Enemy Within and Whiskey Cavalier, I had high hopes for this show. Sadly, I do not think it is not meant to be. The story does not really work for me and the background music IMHO is annoying.

Nitpick: so Maya left LA 6 years ago and her house is left empty yet remains in serviceable condition? She must be very rich to be able to pay taxes, maintenance and utilities for an unused property in the city.

• Love 8

Marcia Clark's involvement almost made me not watch. I couldn't stand those promos that aired, especially the cutesy way she answered "Maybe" when asked if this show was her revenge. Fuck off, Marcia. You had your chance, and you blew it. Big time.

But Robin Tunney and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje being the leads made this a must watch. I have never seen them be less than compelling in anything they've done, and this is no exception. The show itself is pretty much exactly the Marcia Clark fanfic/wish fulfillment I thought it was going to be. The biggest piece of wish fulfillment being that the Maya/Marcia would ever be asked to come anywhere near the new case. The DA would want to seperate themselves as far as possible from her. 

And I have to say, the "mystery" does not seem mysterious at all. I won't say what I think the answer is here, but I will say they telegraphed it very obviously, IMO. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

In general, this came across as a fantasy that's been playing in Clark's head for 20+years, and it's not exactly full of surprises. Wikipedia calls it a 'self serving rewrite of modern history', and that sounds about right.

Brutal but true.

The final scene of the pilot was dripping in cringe.....yet to decide if I will hang in there for another episode.

PS I hate that Scott Cohen is playing a snake.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 2

I was glad to see Robin Tunney starring in a series again, but was disappointed when the scenario was another OJ take. I'm reserving judgement on the show for now though. I'm hoping they end this case this season (or earlier) then move on to new cases instead of rehashing old ones.

• Love 1

I think that I liked it more than most of you all.  I think that I will keep watching, though, I was trying to watch something on another channel at the same time.  Oh, well.....that was distracting.  So, can someone tell why Clark's former partner who enticed her to come back to LA kept asking her to find evidence that would link the crime  to the OLD murders that they charged Sevvy with??? Because, how would that be helpful?  He was acquitted of those charges, so, either it would hurt their case or it wouldn't be allowed as evidence against him.  I don't get it. 

Also, Sevvy kept losing his American accent towards the end of sentences.  lol I thought it was me, but, after I looked it up, I saw that he is not American and I heard him speak in his natural voice.  That's what it was.  I am such a stickler on accents.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was hoping to see a Kato Kaelin character in this, he was the most entertaining part of the original trial!

• Love 1

I can see where they would go with Sevvy, the trainer client, or even the shark lawyer as the guilty party so I didn’t hate it as much as some of y’all seem to. I also read M Clark’s book (or first one) that was fiction and I enjoyed it. I appreciate that this is a 10-episode series so hopefully all will be revealed in the end. And so far it’s better than AA-A’s last episodic formula, 10 Days in the Valley. I hope Marc Blucas makes more appearances (feel like he would since he’s relatively well known for a one and done role). 

• Love 4

Clark was on the View the other day and said that everything is wrapped up at the end. I wasn't crazy about this episode....not sure if it was the acting or script, but will watch a little more. The guy who is playing the black actor is scaring the crap out of me. So I am curious. I'll leave it on "record"....that's saying something for moi! I'll give it a chance.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, Sevvy kept losing his American accent towards the end of sentences.  lol I thought it was me, but, after I looked it up, I saw that he is not American and I heard him speak in his natural voice.  That's what it was.  I am such a stickler on accents.  

I thought he was American until about halfway through then all of a sudden I noticed the British accent.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I thought he was American until about halfway through then all of a sudden I noticed the British accent.

I thought that too. Then I wondered if I missed something at the beginning that explained the accent. It was like he got tired of acting and just gave up.

I didn't hate it, and will stick through it. Knowing it is a ten episode event makes it more interesting to me, because I know they will wrap it up, rather than wondering how long they will drag it out far.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

I can see where they would go with Sevvy, the trainer client, or even the shark lawyer as the guilty party so I didn’t hate it as much as some of y’all seem to. I also read M Clark’s book (or first one) that was fiction and I enjoyed it. I appreciate that this is a 10-episode series so hopefully all will be revealed in the end. 

I didn't hate it, though I'm not much of a Marcia Clark fan. Her involvement makes it less easy to just relax and go with the "ripped from the headlines" aspect (or maybe that should be history books, lol). 

I might need to watch it again to see who might be viable suspects.  For me, it was the first wife who caught my attention, not sure why. Too many years of listening to Lt. Provenza maybe? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I guess that I need to watch it again from a different perspective.  I just thought that Sevvy was certainly guilty and didn't even give any thought that he might not be.  Now, a good premise, imo, would be if someone like Maya Travis set him up, but, that would require someone to have murdered an innocent girl and Marcia Clark would not have done that to her character.  She's the good guy, so, that theory is out.  It's more interesting to view, if there is a chance that he didn't do it.  So, that'll make it better, imo. 

• Love 1

I like Robin Tunney, and I enjoyed the pilot.

One thing I didn't understand - and I even rewound to watch again - was why Sevvy's daughter gave up the storage locker so easily?

Wasn't it way way way too easy?  The daughter even said she believed in her father's innocence - so why would she be that stupid to give them access?  Seemed very unbelievable.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

One thing I didn't understand - and I even rewound to watch again - was why Sevvy's daughter gave up the storage locker so easily?

Wasn't it way way way too easy?  The daughter even said she believed in her father's innocence - so why would she be that stupid to give them access?  Seemed very unbelievable.

I think it was because her father's dead girlfriend was her friend and roommate (he met the girlfriend through the daughter), so she cared about her.  Even though she said she believes her father is innocent, there could easily be a little doubt on her part.

I was wondering why she would not want to give them access.  There could be evidence in there pointing to the killer regardless of who it is.  So unless the daughter was the killer, or it was the father or someone else close to her and she knew it, I would think she'd want the police to have as much evidence as possible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I wouldn't see any reason for this daughter to trust the police or want to give ANYTHING to the police as apparently the story from the defense's side is that Robin's character was trying to frame her father for something he didn't do, the first go round.  I don't think it makes any sense, but I guess the reason you cite must be the narrative they were going with.

When you want  your "side" or your family to be proven innocent, you tell them and give them nothing, I would think.  Only an incredibly naive person would think the best thing to do is to hand over a bunch of evidence to the police and hope it all shakes out great, even MORESO when the narrative of this show is that Robin and Fake OJ are mortal enemies and Robin was trying to go after him even though the daughter believes he's innocent!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about the possibility that she would think they want to frame her father.  That could've been a thing.  I guess the writers didn't think about it either.

• Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 7:55 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

I think he mentioned he was British when he was talking to the cops at the station. 

I kind of liked it. However, I wish it wasn't so blatantly based on OJ. I think this show had potential, but because it's written by Marcia Clark, it's coming across as a personal  revenge thing and that's not going to work. I don't mind Robin Tunney. The other lawyer, he was easy on the eyes.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I kind of liked it. However, I wish it wasn't so blatantly based on OJ. I think this show had potential, but because it's written by Marcia Clark, it's coming across as a personal  revenge thing and that's not going to work. I don't mind Robin Tunney. The other lawyer, he was easy on the eyes.

IKR?

I'm kind of hoping that if there is a S2, ABC can ditch Marcia Clark - or at least minimize her involvement.  I'm always there for an LA-based legal drama that has lots of location scenes and I like this cast enough to keep watching. 

• Love 3
On 3/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wouldn't see any reason for this daughter to trust the police or want to give ANYTHING to the police as apparently the story from the defense's side is that Robin's character was trying to frame her father for something he didn't do, the first go round.  I don't think it makes any sense, but I guess the reason you cite must be the narrative they were going with.

When you want  your "side" or your family to be proven innocent, you tell them and give them nothing, I would think.  Only an incredibly naive person would think the best thing to do is to hand over a bunch of evidence to the police and hope it all shakes out great, even MORESO when the narrative of this show  usthat Robin and Fake OJ are mortal enemies and Robin was trying to go after him even though the daughter believes he's innocent!

I think either the daughter secretly thinks her father did it and wants to find out, or is just not that smart.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

Next episode, March 25, 2019:

S01.E02: Revenge 

Maya and Matthew search Sevvy's house for anything that might lead to an arrest as they face mounting pressure from Wiest to build a case quickly; Ezra tries to clean up Sevvy's image.

I didn’t mind it as much as most of you and will give it another week or two before I make the decision to move on.  I will say, this would be a better made for TV movie rather than a series that could last multiple seasons.  I feel the same about Manifest and The Enemy Within.  (I did stop watching Enemy Within.)

• Love 2
On 3/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, tinderbox said:

I didn’t mind it as much as most of you and will give it another week or two before I make the decision to move on.  I will say, this would be a better made for TV movie rather than a series that could last multiple seasons.  I feel the same about Manifest and The Enemy Within.  (I did stop watching Enemy Within.)

This is s limited series, 10 episodes.  like a mini-series.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, Kira53 said:

This is s limited series, 10 episodes.  like a mini-series.

Is it really? I've only seen it mentioned as a legal drama and TV Series (not miniseries). I was hoping there would be more seasons, with this season ending the OJ theme, then on to other cases.

2 hours ago, ferjy said:

Is it really? I've only seen it mentioned as a legal drama and TV Series (not miniseries). I was hoping there would be more seasons, with this season ending the OJ theme, then on to other cases.

In the podcast Happier in Hollywood, they mention waiting to see what will happen with The Fix and any potential second season. I'm sure it depends on what the ratings look like. Last week didn't exactly set the world on fire. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

In the podcast Happier in Hollywood, they mention waiting to see what will happen with The Fix and any potential second season. I'm sure it depends on what the ratings look like. Last week didn't exactly set the world on fire. 

It was advertised as a "limited" event, but I'm sure if it turns into a hit and ABC thinks they can make money off it they will extend that. They always do with the successful limited events.

But I do think we'll get the mystery wrapped up this season.

14 hours ago, Driad said:

Can anyone explain the title? To me it sounded like "the fix is in," i.e. doing something unethical to win an election or maybe a trial.

In my mind the Maya character wants to "fix" the mistakes of the previous trial that let the killer off.  Maybe?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Can anyone explain the title? To me it sounded like "the fix is in," i.e. doing something unethical to win an election or maybe a trial.

In the first ep, Wolf claims in his press conference that "the fix is in," saying that Maya, the DA's office and the LAPD are going after Sevvy to get payback for Wolf exposing their conspiracy to frame Sevvy eight years ago.

Speculation: At this point, I'm convinced that Gabe (aka Kato Kaelin the stepson) knows that Sevvy killed his mom so he's framing Sevvy to avenge her murder. And Maya's going to figure out that Gabe killed Jessica but she's going to let Sevvy go down for it anyway.

• Love 9

I appreciate the knowledge that Sevvy didn’t kill Jessica already in the series. I still think Wolf did it because he needed his cash cow, although the stepson or even just some random mugger could have done it. Poor Ben though. 

On a side note, it’s funny that the thing I know Scott Cohen (Wolf) from is actually 10th Kingdom, where he played Wolfie. 

• Love 1

Episode 01.01, "Pilot"

letter-c.png

Talk about a show that went everywhere but got nowhere.

So many twists and turns and feints...it's enough to make me dizzy.

We also had too many characters- good and bad- fighting with each other. I get Hollywood likes making their lawyers look like the greatest of narcissists, but this was overkill. I want to believe this law firm can work well together, not against each other,

One thing I will say is that Robin Tunney was great as the lead. She really commanded her presence, and, despite her simple wardrobe, she really rocked it. If The Fix doesn't work, Tunney's more than proved she's a leading lady.

I also thought Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje did well as Sevvy. He did really well as the ego-driven actor with lots to hide, and I get the sense that he's really getting played by his lawyer, who I think is the real culprit of his crimes. Seeing Sevvy manage through that was fun.

Alas, I don't know how much longer I'll stay with  this. The Pilot established little and I get the sense this story feels like more like a movie than a TV series. I also don't know if this is going to be a serial or episodic- the tone suggested episodic but we didn't get a resolution tonight.

Bummer.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Episode 01.01, "Pilot"

letter-c.png

Talk about a show that went everywhere but got nowhere.

So many twists and turns and feints...it's enough to make me dizzy.

We also had too many characters- good and bad- fighting with each other. I get Hollywood likes making their lawyers look like the greatest of narcissists, but this was overkill. I want to believe this law firm can work well together, not against each other,

One thing I will say is that Robin Tunney was great as the lead. She really commanded her presence, and, despite her simple wardrobe, she really rocked it. If The Fix doesn't work, Tunney's more than proved she's a leading lady.

I also thought Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje did well as Sevvy. He did really well as the ego-driven actor with lots to hide, and I get the sense that he's really getting played by his lawyer, who I think is the real culprit of his crimes. Seeing Sevvy manage through that was fun.

Alas, I don't know how much longer I'll stay with  this. The Pilot established little and I get the sense this story feels like more like a movie than a TV series. I also don't know if this is going to be a serial or episodic- the tone suggested episodic but we didn't get a resolution tonight.

Bummer.

Adewale..Sevvy just isn't doing it for me!  His is a strong character but I can't see the ladies falling all over him!  He's just too big and mean looking!

I loved episode two Revenge.  So many twists and turns.  The lady prosecutor snitch!  The Asian kid on the beach.  The friendship and hurt between Tunny and her asst!

The hour moves so fast and always leaves me wanting more!

• Love 2

I liked the second episode better than the first but if Sevvy is innocent then the underlying message is troubling. Because domestic violence really does get people (mainly women but kids and cops too) killed. If he is guilty then it's a cat and mouse game and that's kind of boring until the final stages.

• Love 2