Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
jmonique

S06.E16: There Can Be Only One Highlander Club

Despite Beverly wanting the two boys to bond, Adam and Johnny Atkins compete for the head of the Highlander Club at school; Barry tries to ensure that the JTP doesn't fall out of touch after high school.

JTP for Life! JTP! "Matt Bradley, you came up with the one good idea you've ever had!"

Man, you can tell that Clancy Brown was relishing all of those Highlander references, including to that charming but misunderstood Kurgan. "There can be only one...Highlander Club!"

• Like 8

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

JTP for Life! JTP! "Matt Bradley, you came up with the one good idea you've ever had!"

Man, you can tell that Clancy Brown was relishing all of those Highlander references, including to that charming but misunderstood Kurgan. "There can be only one...Highlander Club!"

Especially when he did the voice! Queen music never gets old. Clancy really made that film for it was. The sequels can't compete without his presence. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 6

I loved this episode...and I love Highlander!

When I first saw Clancy Brown on this show a while back, I thought "Well, they'll probably never reference Highlander now because that would be weird...but they went for it!  Since he's on 'Schooled' as well, I'm kinda hoping for some Mr. Krabs fun.

I liked Murray's story too.  Some of my best friends live far away and I only see them every few years, but I love them and understand that's how it goes as an adult.  

And less Erica this ep! 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Penguins71 said:

I loved this episode...and I love Highlander!

When I first saw Clancy Brown on this show a while back, I thought "Well, they'll probably never reference Highlander now because that would be weird...but they went for it!  Since he's on 'Schooled' as well, I'm kinda hoping for some Mr. Krabs fun.

I liked Murray's story too.  Some of my best friends live far away and I only see them every few years, but I love them and understand that's how it goes as an adult.  

And less Erica this ep! 

As soon as they were talking about Highlander, I kept saying: "Please let Clancy Brown reference everything." So beautiful! I can completely relate to both Murray and the JPT. Yes, we have Facebook and Snapchat these days. But really, I maybe interact with around 12 people from high school and those are the ones I've known since elementary school. People move, they have their own families. They lose jobs and parents pass away. So yes, as they say: "Life happens." 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, readster said:

As soon as they were talking about Highlander, I kept saying: "Please let Clancy Brown reference everything." So beautiful! I can completely relate to both Murray and the JPT. Yes, we have Facebook and Snapchat these days. But really, I maybe interact with around 12 people from high school and those are the ones I've known since elementary school. People move, they have their own families. They lose jobs and parents pass away. So yes, as they say: "Life happens." 

I liked this episode, too. It was a return to form after a couple of episodes that were pretty meh to begin with. The Highlander Club was interesting. Next, The Lost Boys, please...! A Jamie Gertz guest spot would be fun. I know she is part owner of the Atlanta Hawks and all, but a guest spot would be awesome. I know they touched upon the Lost Boys a couple of seasons ago, but I would like a dedication to the film itself. Or Near Dark would be nice to add.

• Like 6

Sigh, another episode based on an 80s movie.

The stuff with the Jokers and JTP was heart warming though.  If I'm not mistaken, they implied that Real Barry pays for five season tickets for the Eagles every year for himself and his friends.  Pretty nice of him.  I was also intrigued by those "Liberty Seats" or whatever they were called, where you had seats for every event of the year in Veteran's Stadium (I think).  He said they cost $10,000, but I imagine they would be much more expensive today.  Unfortunately, they Phillies and Eagles no longer play in the same stadium.

This show is getting really formulaic.  Pick a theme based on an 80s movie, throw in another subplot, and play a song over the last five minutes as you wrap everything up.

8 hours ago, Penguins71 said:

And less Erica this ep! 

I don't mind Erica, she makes great eye candy.  I just don't want to hear her sing.  Not that she's bad, I'm just not interested.  They really need to find something for her to do with her life other than nap on the couch.  Considering this family raised two doctors and a TV writer/producer, I doubt that they would tolerate her underachieving like this.

• Like 3

The core cast has been so fleshed out I'm really enjoying some of the dives into the extended cast. Great episode for Johnny Atkins (which... Wow. Didn't think I'd have said that), Carla, and Dave Kim; as well as some nice further developments with the non-Barry and Geoff JTP (JTP!). I thought the parallels to the Jokers was particularly nice too.

"Smiles???"

• Like 7

I hope the Carla/Dave Kim thing isn't a one-off because that could be funny stuff. It wasn't a major part of the episode, but knowing that Johnny becomes a janitor at the school made the talk about the future with him seem pointless.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

What was it Johnny Atkins said in Schooled , something like "he's the king of the bucket" ,  as he was mopping the hallway. 

While CB was talking about potential colleges for John's niece with that sounded like Ivy League School but clearly weren't, Johnny mentioned that he was an alumni to one of those schools.

• Like 2

I am....not a fan of Christopher Lambert but I am AWARE of Highlander so still enjoyed this ep.

So because of that I didn’t know the shop teacher was in Highlander but I am curious how he looks older on The Goldbergs than on Schooled.

I guess the waiting list for Eagles games is shorter than for say the Packers if Barry was able to get five season tickets in the 90’s or aughts.  I’m assuming it’s a lifetime thing?

Clancy Brown is one busy man. Doing more than one show and recently adding voice acting in video games, that's an achievement itself. There is a reason why he is called the Kurgan. He deserves mad respects.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 3

Wow, I haven't seen Highlander since it came out in theaters in the 80's, so I had no idea that the shop teacher on the Goldbergs was in Highlander until I read this thread. Thanks!

Edited by Cowgirl