Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S05.E14: Black History Month

Dre is upset that Jack and Diane are getting the same surface-level education about Black History Month that he got when he was growing up; he is asked to make a presentation at the school assembly and wants to bring black history to life.

Airs February 26, 2019.

"You did a racism." "Again?" I laughed more than I should at that.

Octavia!  She makes everything better. 

• Like 15
  • Laugh 2

Ruby's quite decent to Bow these days. Are we getting some actual continuity from "Black Like Us"?

Edited by LadyintheLoop
  • Like 6

Bow: You should listen. Maybe you'll learn something.

Dre: Do you even know me?

Well at least it was said. Love Octavia's scenes. 

• Like 12
  • Laugh 1

Yeah, no, on that Harriet Tubman invented the tub joke. Not even from Charlie.

"Spy Tampons"? OMG, they need to cancel that Whiskey Cavalier show right now just for using such a lame commercial.

I know the people behind Black-ish probably feel like they're under some pressure to present a meaningful episode honoring BHM but this seemed like a lukewarm effort to me. I'll be surprised if this show gets renewed for another season. IMO, it seems to be running on vapors and the actors know it.

"Husband. Father. Jackass." No lies detected.

• Like 4

Didn't the teacher used to be fully capable of going head-to-head with Dre about history and race stuff?  They've turned her into an extension of the office idiots, what a shame.

• Like 9

I do think I remember the teacher being pretty smart and keeping up with Dre, but I guess they decided we needed another dumb white person, because...the office wasnt enough? 

That being said, "You did a racism." "Again?!" was hilarious. 

I thought that it was really sweet that Diane wanted to talk about her principle. Its great talking about famous black people who did great things, but its also nice to honor non famous people who impact peoples lives every day. 

Can I get Octavia Spenser calling Dre a jackass on repeat please? Maybe as my new ringtone? The Octavia parts were worth the whole episode on their own!

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because is definitely second. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 18

12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I do think I remember the teacher being pretty smart and keeping up with Dre, but I guess they decided we needed another dumb white person, because...the office wasnt enough? 

I thought that it was really sweet that Diane wanted to talk about her principle. Its great talking about famous black people who did great things, but its also nice to honor non famous people who impact peoples lives every day. 

Can I get Octavia Spenser calling Dre a jackass on repeat please? Maybe as my new ringtone? The Octavia parts were worth the whole episode on their own!

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Yes, I cheered when Pops said that. 

• Like 2

I did like that the writers went to great lengths to reflect each generations feelings about Black history month & that the Johnson women were able to navigate the inherent sexism which usually pervades most Black-ish scripts.

They must have aired this one out of order because Kyra & Stuntz were nowhere to be seen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I did like that the writers went to great lengths to reflect each generations feelings about Black history month & that the Johnson women were able to navigate the inherent sexism which usually pervades most Black-ish scripts.

They must have aired this one out of order because Kyra & Stuntz were nowhere to be seen.

It literally came out on the date they name checked. They were never going to have Kyra in every episode 

This topic was real. The private Christian school I went to until the 4th grade (I'm 36 now) had the same issue. But, they only ever talked about Dr. King and Malcolm X. That's why I started going to public school. I remember one if the first assignments they gave was the same one the kids got. But, I wrote about Charles Drew who did the first open heart transplant.

They have really been digging into Dre's self righteousness this season. I have no problems with it.

• Like 5

What's with the dissing of DeRay Mckesson? Even the "all knowing expert" seemed not to know who he is?  I wasn't even sure if that was Octavia Spencer or Viola Davis, but even I've heard of DeRay Mckesson.

2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

They were never going to have Kyra in every episode

That makes no sense. Why add another kid to the family but only feature her as a recurring character?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What's with the dissing of DeRay Mckesson? Even the "all knowing expert" seemed not to know who he is?  I wasn't even sure if that was Octavia Spencer or Viola Davis, but even I've heard of DeRay Mckesson.

I took that the total opposite way - I think it was shade at Dre since he thinks he’s the expert and yet doesn’t know who DeRay is. Like, hey dummy, everyone else has heard of him so why do you have to go hide in the bathroom and give it a Goog to find out who he is?

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Dee said:

That makes no sense. Why add another kid to the family but only feature her as a recurring character?

Money. They want the character for certain storylines but not all the time. Happens all the time. They can also pay less for recurring. They already had enough opinions to cover, they can use her or not. I personally don't care much.

Edited by Racj82
  • Like 3

I liked the little joke that Ruby is "the mother of Black America" because Jenifer Lewis's (excellent, VERY detailed) memoir is called The Mother of Black Hollywood.

16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

LOVED this! More people need to call Dre on his shit.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, Dee said:

I loved that Diane wanted to feature her principal for Black History Month.

My mother was an administrator at a predominantly white private school and a few kids DID feature her (and other Black teachers there) for Black History Month. I loved that Diane wanted to do the same.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

I took that the total opposite way - I think it was shade at Dre since he thinks he’s the expert and yet doesn’t know who DeRay is. Like, hey dummy, everyone else has heard of him so why do you have to go hide in the bathroom and give it a Goog to find out who he is?

That must have been what they were going for.  It just seemed like everyone else (other than Junior who suggested him) was drawing a blank - especially Octavia.  Maybe they were just being exasperated at Dre.

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That must have been what they were going for.  It just seemed like everyone else (other than Junior who suggested him) was drawing a blank - especially Octavia.  Maybe they were just being exasperated at Dre.

I honestly don't think most people  know who he is. It wasn't weird or wrong that Dre didn't know who he was. He just couldn't own up to it. That's the problem. That's also what black history should be about. Learning beyond what you already know.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3

Saw on Twitter that DeRay's shout-out was news to him and he was excited about it. Roxane Gay was excited about hers here & on grown-ish too. I agree that he's not as well-known. I follow him & his work (he hosts a podcast called Pod Save the People to which I subscribe) but I can absolutely see Dre not knowing who he is. He's <35, I think, and I don't think his prison & sentencing reform work is that well-known yet. I became aware of him during the Ferguson protests.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Saw on Twitter that DeRay's shout-out was news to him and he was excited about it. Roxane Gay was excited about hers here & on grown-ish too. I agree that he's not as well-known. I follow him & his work (he hosts a podcast called Pod Save the People to which I subscribe) but I can absolutely see Dre not knowing who he is. He's <35, I think, and I don't think his prison & sentencing reform work is that well-known yet. I became aware of him during the Ferguson protests.

He seemed to be the face of BLM and popping up everywhere a couple years ago so that's why I've heard of him (and I'm not on Twitter or up with all this social media stuff).  I'm not surprised either that Dre hadn't heard of him, I just got the impression no one else in the family (or Octavia) had either.  But as I said above, I was probably misinterpreting what the show was going for.

7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I liked the little joke that Ruby is "the mother of Black America" because Jenifer Lewis's (excellent, VERY detailed) memoir is called The Mother of Black Hollywood.

That’s exactly what my husband said as soon as it was mentioned! Awesome 🙂

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I didn’t know who he was, but that’s probably because I’m Canadian, and while we know many prominent African-Americans, we won’t know them all, as we also know about our prominent black Canadians, Having said that, I’ve got a Viola Desmond $10 bill hidden in my wallet, that I’ll never spend. 

Edited by hula-la · Reason: Spelling
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2019 at 2:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because is definitely second. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Dre has become 100% insufferable and I don't understand why this thread of beating Junior down is supposed to be funny. There's no love mixed in, it's just constantly putting him down. If it was a real person, it'd be terrible, but given that it's a fictional character that someone is choosing to write this way, I just don't get the point. 

This episode is the kind of thing that this show used to do really well, but it's really hard to find anything poignant in what Dre says anymore when I can't stand the character. 

I feel like they're undermining their own point by writing him the way they do. He's always been preoccupied with race, but it was easy to recognize and sympathize with the struggles he's had because he showed different sides to his character. Now he's just an intractable jerk to pretty much everyone around him.

Didn't the teacher used to be fully capable of going head-to-head with Dre about history and race stuff?  They've turned her into an extension of the office idiots, what a shame.

YES! Isn't this the same teacher who had a master's degree in African-American studies or something? Very sloppy continuity there.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Like 5

I liked seeing how proud the principal was at the mention of her name and at Diane's glimpse towards her. 

Liked Pops in this episode as well. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 6:15 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'll be surprised if this show gets renewed for another season. IMO, it seems to be running on vapors and the actors know it.

I agree. I've got a bunch of episodes on my DVR and have been catching up, but I think I'm going to delete the last couple that I haven't yet seen. It seems to be checking the boxes for a dying sitcom: new baby, divorce scare, a Cousin Oliver. The show still has its moments, but they're few and far between. I would probably stick with it if there were more Charlie, but they seem to have downsized his role and the office scenes in general unless they involve Junior. I don't need to see the Dre/Junior drama at home and at the office.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:15 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'll be surprised if this show gets renewed for another season. IMO, it seems to be running on vapors and the actors know it.

Both Cancel Bear and TV Grim Reaper have it as "likely renewed".

• Surprise 1

Re Black-ish getting renewed, I'll believe it when I see it. But I guess ABC might consider it easier to keep their one Black sitcom going instead of taking a risk on a new one.

13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Re Black-ish getting renewed, I'll believe it when I see it. But I guess ABC might consider it easier to keep their one Black sitcom going instead of taking a risk on a new one.

What most networks do unless they see it's killing their bank accounts or no one is watching. Then they finally pull the plug on things like that Black-ish and Modern Family have just gone so down hill. They are repeating stories and don't know what to do with characters have the time.